Start by marking “Operators and Things” as Want to Read:
Operators and Things

Operators and Things

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Psychedelic memoir of the healing power of schizophrenic hallucinations in the 1950s
Paperback
Published May 4th 1976 by Signet (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Operators and Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operators and Things

Richard
The most baffling thing about this book is that it isn't more widely known than it is. I've no real idea why - perhaps because it was written and published in the '50s, rather than the more receptive '60s? Or, more likely, because of its subject, madness? Or that a lot of readers just aren't sure how to take it: as fiction or as fact? If it's fiction, then I guess you could very loosely class it as science fiction, although I've read a lot of that and I don't know of anything else quite like thi ...more
Derek Davis
I picked up a paperback 40 years ago that has sat on my mind like a restless beast. It's had an effect on me like nothing else I've read, nothing I've since experienced.
How did I come on Operators and Things, and why could I not relate it to anything else in the world? My hazy answer (not recollection) is that I must have picked it up because of the bizarre title and opened it at random. I had no idea what I was reading. I just knew that it scared the living shit out of me.
Over time, I've read I
Cristian
A fascinating, if difficult, read. Difficult because you have to be constantly careful not to take the book for more than it is, which is to say, a highly subjective and potentially flawed (perhaps even fictional) account of the narrator's experience with paranoid schizophrenia and its interface to the previous and subsequent normality.

I think the gist of what I like most in this book lies in the metanarrative, in watching the narrator - clearly an intelligent and perceptive individual - trying
Bri Fidelity
I've never actually seen or owned a copy of this book - when last I checked, it was 30 for a battered paperback copy on Amazon, and I'm neither that rich or that reckless - but there's at least one PDF copy floating around the Internet that I recommend wholeheartedly. (A reprint, passing publisher-types, would be nice.)

[ETA: Passing publisher-types, thank you very much.]
Octoff Malheiro
Feb 08, 2008 Octoff Malheiro rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People of The Immovable Race
Recommended to Octoff by: Lawrence Joseph Davis 7-14-42/3-26-07
Schizophrenia is attosecond communication..
Normal or average Human beings are not set up for this quality of comm.

1 in 17,000 have enhanced minds..
1 in a billion complete two way flow of information.
1 incarnate being has total access/7^72^999 applications
per attosecond..
The one incarnate being would naturally be considered
a SCHIZOPHRENIC!

The aboriginal 1st people knew that the 'crazies'
were children close to the Great Spirit..

The Great Spirit is altogether different from the gods
of the world rel
Will
"Burt explained. I could see why he had been chosen spokesman. What he had to say, he said clearly and in a few words. I had been selected for participation in an experiment. He hoped I would be cooperative; lack of cooperation on my part would make matters difficult for them and for myself. They were Operators, the three of them. There were Operators everywhere in the world although they rarely were seen or heard. My seeing and hearing them was, unfortunately, a necessary part of the experiment ...more
The Hermit's
A complex account of a 6 month long spontaneous schizophrenic episode and the subsequent healing. I could relate to the complexity of delusions, hallucinations and paranoia and her understandable urge to suddenly leave her surroundings after experiencing insidious stress in the workplace.
Kuxenjatko
Absolute must-read. Wise, optimistic, illuminative and most enjoyable.
Jackie
Sep 19, 2008 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to make sense of schizophrenia
This is adventure - the writer is tipped into it against her (conscious) will. Her courage and humour are evident. It is about alientation in modern society, healing, integration and mental health. I would love to know what happened to her next...

I read this book in 1977 and loaned it out, never to have it returned. Got it again on Amazon and it is just as interesting second time around 30 years later. I noticed different things this time though.
Joel
Fascinating....a true account of schizophrenia from a personal perspective, written in the fifties by a woman who apparently succumbed to the disease, describes her experience, and apparently became free from it on her own.
A.
Terrifying little memoir of a woman failing to do it for herself, because of the misogyny of the early 1950s and her misunderstood, stigmatized mind and how the two things coalesced and bred a horrible little life for her.
Nancy
A clear and compelling description of mental illness. It helps those of us not so challenged really understand what it is like for the one struggling with schizophrenia.
Michael
Ostensibly the memoir of a recovered schizophrenic. Unlike any other (auto)-biography I've ever read.
Jennifer Wingard
Definitely an interesting read... especially the section on office politics and "Hook Operators".
Alana S
Really interesting book about one persons experience with schizophrenia!
stephanie
accidentally read at work in PDF form; thanks, metafilter!
Dmitry Popov
Dmitry Popov marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Lenny
Lenny is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2015
Joel Nunez
Joel Nunez marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Emma Chappell
Emma Chappell marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Herasimenko-Ouertani
Herasimenko-Ouertani marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Thurston Hunger
Thurston Hunger marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Wanttoshare
Wanttoshare marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Nicole G.
Nicole G. marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Tammy Hammock
Tammy Hammock marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
  • Women Who Love Psychopaths
  • Le Mystère des Cathédrales
  • Political Ponerology
  • UFOs and the National Security State 2: The Cover-up Exposed 1973-91
  • The Polyvagal Theory: Neurophysiological Foundations of Emotions, Attachment, Communication, and Self-regulation
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • The Memory Room
  • The 9/11 Commission Report: Omissions and Distortions
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • Recovering: A Journal
  • Life is Real Only Then, When 'I Am'
  • The Narcissistic Family: Diagnosis and Treatment
DogFace Lois Dodd: Catching the Light Little Italy Discover the Excitement of Hairpin Lace: Beginners and Advanced Designs Book 17600 Taking Sides: Blogging the Political Divide