Start by marking “Entre Nous: Essays on Thinking-Of-The-Other” as Want to Read:
Entre Nous: Essays on Thinking-Of-The-Other

Entre Nous: Essays on Thinking-Of-The-Other

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Emmanuel Levinas is one of the most important figures of twentieth-century philosophy. Exerting a profound influence upon such thinkers as Derrida, Lyotard, Blanchot, and Irigaray, Levinas's work bridges several major gaps in the evolution of continental philosophy--between modern and postmodern, phenomenology and poststructuralism, ethics and ontology. He is credited with ...more
Published May 24th 2000 by Columbia University Press (first published February 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Entre Nous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Entre Nous

Alex Obrigewitsch
Jun 05, 2015 Alex Obrigewitsch rated it really liked it
An excellent supplement for those seeking to internalize the thinking of Levinas.
I would not recommend this collection of more simple to understand essays and discussions in the place of Totality and Infinity or Otherwise than Being. They are best consumed after, like a series of footnotes; renvois, sending back to the thought and the face of the other.
InternetRex
Jun 02, 2007 InternetRex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of essays includes "Useless Suffering." This is the essay that made Levinas my favorite philosopher. First of all, it is beautiful. Totally beautiful. Levinas describes all of your worst emotional pain and acknowledges that it is actually unfathomable. Suffering for him is not even a kind of experience.
First of all, this essay is very helpful on a personal level, because when I am that unhappy, all I am reduced to is asking, where does it go? Where do I put this? When it is no l
Karrie Higgins
Oct 31, 2013 Karrie Higgins rated it really liked it
The essay "Useless Suffering" is an essential read for anyone grappling with theodicy, especially those who have suffered an irrevocable loss or violation, and who are suffering further under the crushing weight of cultural or spiritual demands to justify--even sanction--horrendous violations in the name of personal, spiritual, or even artistic "growth."

Ryan
Sep 05, 2007 Ryan rated it it was amazing
I am beginning to see the influence of Levinas' ideas in my own thinking, which is great. It's also very decentering. In this book Levinas challenges Western metaphysics (specifically ontology) as first philosophy and raises ethics in its place with a special emphasis on the Other.
Charlie
Aug 09, 2013 Charlie rated it liked it
I understood very little of this. What I did understand, I liked, I think, but I don't know if I'll ever try to reread it.
Scott Neigh
Reviewed here.
Diogo
Diogo rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Thomas Doscher
Thomas Doscher marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Avior Exsol
Avior Exsol marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Joey Dhaumya
Joey Dhaumya marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Sam Roche
Sam Roche marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
J L
J L marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Stephanie Johnson
Stephanie Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Sona
Sona marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Vilde Vikse
Vilde Vikse marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Ellen Connaughton
Ellen Connaughton rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Bárbara Nacif
Bárbara Nacif marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Joseph Molto
Joseph Molto rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Doris
Doris marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
پَريچهر
پَريچهر rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Adelaide Andrew
Adelaide Andrew marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Robert Bagaric
Robert Bagaric marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Kathleen Wright
Kathleen Wright marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Adieu to Emmanuel Lévinas
  • Being Singular Plural
  • Writing History, Writing Trauma
  • The Ethics of Psychoanalysis 1959-1960 (Seminar of Jacques Lacan)
  • The differend: Phrases in dispute
  • Cartesian Meditations: An Introduction to Phenomenology
  • Remnants of Auschwitz: The Witness and the Archive
  • Giving an Account of Oneself
  • On the Aesthetic Education of Man
Emanuelis Levinas (later adapted to French orthography as Emmanuel Levinas) received a traditional Jewish education in Lithuania. After WWII, he studied the Talmud under the enigmatic "Monsieur Chouchani", whose influence he acknowledged only late in his life.

Levinas began his philosophical studies at Strasbourg University in 1924, where he began his lifelong friendship with the French philosopher
More about Emmanuel Levinas...