Start by marking “The Shift: Taking Your Life from Ambition to Meaning” as Want to Read:
The Shift: Taking Your Life from Ambition to Meaning

The Shift: Taking Your Life from Ambition to Meaning

The Shift—a companion book to the movie of the same name—illustrates how and why to make the move from ambition to meaning. Such a shift eliminates our feelings of separateness, illuminates our spiritual connectedness, and involves moving from the ego-directed morning into the afternoon of life where everything is primarily influenced by purpose.

As we contemplate leaving t
Published March 1st 2010 by Hay House (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shift

Serene NG
Apr 10, 2012 Serene NG rated it it was amazing
This book and movie save my life. I got a total shift in Jan 2012 with Dr Wayne help. It took me 3 times to watch the movie again and again until I got it. I was totally clear and sane to be awaken by the spiritual realm. Thank God for his work and that I am now alive and awakened.
Ima jednostavnijih i zanimljivijih knjiga na ovu temu..
Jun 07, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
There were parts of this book that I really liked, although much of that seemed recycled from other books I have read in the past. The first two chapters were painful. Full of flowerly, obtuse language, I found myself chuckling and not for the right reasons. He has some excellent points about letting go and not defining your life by possessions and ambition. But, I didn't necessarily agree with him on all of his ruminations on ambition. At times he seemed to be saying that we should be wholly wi ...more
Iona  Stewart
Aug 25, 2013 Iona Stewart rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Wayne Dyer’s latest book, Wishes fulfilled, but I found this one a bit hard going and difficult to get into, hence the four instead of five stars.

Wayne discusses the shift “from ambition to meaning” which is also the topic of his film of the same name. At first it was not easy to find out what he was really talking about. The phrase “ambition to meaning” seemed a little abstruse, and terming one chapter “From” and another “To” seemed a bit strange though understandable. Particul
Johnny Kavanagh
Mar 28, 2011 Johnny Kavanagh rated it it was amazing
Just read the INTRO and finished Chapter one,looks like another great book by Dr Wayne Dyer.Ok , I have finished reading the book Twice, now all I can say is, It's an Excellent read and well done to Dr Wayne Dyer. You have to make the Effort to change bad habits in your life and also Let go of certain things in your past, Like Mr Dyer says, let bygones be bygones, I ultimately agree here with him on this, challenge yourself, make realistic measured goals and set out to achieve them, do not ever ...more
Venkataraman Kumbakonam S.
Jun 27, 2012 Venkataraman Kumbakonam S. rated it really liked it
This is more a book on Philosophy and Spiritual Development. We struggle for attaining so many things in life. The book throws light over why we are so self-centered and narrow-minded, forgetting our source of being; and our only source of sustenance.

After elaborately explaining how the illogical separation takes place, the author also shows us the way to go home.

It all should begin with the enquiry on 'Who am I?' and lead to the realization of true Self. The book reveals the author's vigorous
Tara Brabazon
May 08, 2015 Tara Brabazon rated it did not like it
Whether termed self help or self development, this genre is complex and often unsatisfying. This book by 'self help guru' Wayne Dyer is poor. It is a book that is cobbled together in response to the new age film, The Shift. The simple argument is that it is necessary to move our lives from ambition to meaning. The book is too autobiographical. The point is that Dyer's life and reality cannot be generalized.

This is a flimsy book. Don't bother.
Alissa Ruppert
Aug 31, 2010 Alissa Ruppert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually listened to the audio book and watched the movie :) It is wonderful, I remember after watching the movie I had the most amazing lucid dreams, probably because I let all of my stresses flout away before I drifted on to the world I can create.
Loy Machedo
Apr 18, 2012 Loy Machedo rated it really liked it
Wayne Walter Dyer born May 10, 1940 is an American self-help author, and lecturer with around 30 titles to his credit. His first classic being the self-help psychology masterpiece Your Errogenous Zones – which had a slow start and then became an instant best seller.

Following the success of that book, he then to more spiritual stuff like
• Experiencing the Miraculous
• Excuses Begone!
• There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
• The Power of Intention
• You can Heal your Life

The common thread i
Marwa AlKhelaifi
i liked it only a little. the reason I dislike it much is because it speaks of things I'm already aware of due to me being a Muslim. Islam in it's foundation teaches all the aspects that this book encouraged. therefore, as a personal opinion of course I found it a waste of time.
Jan 10, 2016 L rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
An absolutely eye opening book to start off the year. I had previously seen The Shift movie and became interested in the book. Dyer writes compassionately and eloquently, drawing sources from religious texts to poets. Here are some of my most important takeaways.

- More important than happiness, we are all deeply in pursuit of meaning in our lives. That is the great hunger. Failure to live our life purpose will cause a life of misery and bitterness.
- We must discover our authentic self by scorc
Negli Stati Uniti, si sa, abbondano psicologi e predicatori religiosi che vanno in giro a tenere gremitissime conferenze e che sfornano, uno dopo l’altro, libri da milioni di copie vendute. In essi, come nei manuali di bricolage o di aeromodellismo, si spiega alle masse come essere felici, come raggiungere l’appagamento sessuale o come diventare illuminati in 10 tappe. Gli Americani vanno pazzi per le liste di istruzioni, perché pensano che tutto dipenda da una “tecnica”.

Continua a leggere: http
Iva Tarle
Nov 06, 2013 Iva Tarle rated it really liked it
Loved the book. This was my first Dyers book, and i want to read more.

It speaks about spiritual truth applied to every day life. How the true fulfilment comes from consiously choosing to recognize what we do out of ambition as opposed to what truly bringing us happyness.
The example is how we choose career because of titles, how important it makes us feel, the money, fame etc. But all of these things do not make us happy, they just cares our outer shell.
The real happiness comes from recognizing o
Ray Clark
Feb 20, 2014 Ray Clark rated it really liked it
Loved the movie of the same name. This book is a great source to assist in traveling from the "ego" to the "spiritual." The film educates mostly by example, the book is more instructional. The book is only a little over a hundred pages long and worth the short time it takes to peruse.

My last five books:

- edge God out
- I am what I have and I am what I
Do (my value depends on what I
- You must compete
- I am what other people think of
- who I am is separate from
everyone else
- who I am is separate from
- meaning phase of life: you want to feel fulfilled and live your life on purpose
- dharma: your divine life purpose
- quantum moment: what it is like when you have a peak moment (vivid, surprise, benevolent, enduring)
- synchronicity: you are conn
Badriya Aqa
I read the book in Arabic it was well translated though ,
I think I was lucky to know this wonderful man. I watched the movie first which encouraged me to buy the book and I don't regret it at all it saved my life.
Reading such a meaningful and highly spiritual book is going to take you a little while longer than what you expect because every sentence needs to be studied very carefully.

I believe that Wayne Dyer didn't die his is so alive in our hearts , even after almost a year of his death he kee
Dec 26, 2013 Rubina rated it it was amazing
While this book is a companion to the movie of the same title, it is self-sufficient enough to be read on its own. Dr Wayne Dyer has written many motivational books but this has to be one of our my favourites. The message is simple; we spend most of our lives serving our egos and lose sight of our authentic selves, however, it is never too late to transform to a life of purpose and a life with meaning.
If you are looking at change, seeking transformation and awakening, this book is highly recomme
Sourav Ghosh
May 26, 2012 Sourav Ghosh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-growth
Reading this book took my thinking to a whole new level. I watched the movie of the same name 'The Shift' and it was amazing. I would recommend both the movie and book to everybody. Whole life we chase material possessions thinking achieving all these ambitions will make us happy. But in vein we reach a position in our life, where we realize to be successful or to be happy, we just need to remember who we really are-we have to accept the God force within us. This book clarified the purpose of li ...more
Ranjana Ramanathan
Nov 19, 2014 Ranjana Ramanathan rated it really liked it
Its a great piece of work and some bits in the book make a lot of sense especially where reference to lao tzus teachings have been made - they do appeal to the heart in a very touching manner. However the last part of the book which talks about service as a way to add meaning to what we do is a bit too superficial and unless one is careful that bit could be misunderstood and one could get into another structure or pattern of the ego. Otherwise its a wonderful read !!!!
Feb 23, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Thought this was a good message. Comes with a video which I liked better than the book.

About moving from being ego centric to being purpose driven or spiritually motivated. Or another way of thinking about it is moving from a knowers stance (ego directed) to a learners stance (open to the spiritual).

I checked the book out from the library and would recommend doing this in order to watch the DVD instead of reading the book.
Jan 09, 2011 TheAcaciaTree rated it really liked it
"The Shift" is a continuation of Dr. Dyer's own shift into a more meaningful existence. His journey is an inspiration to all who share it with him. This book is about changing your life by finding your self and acting upon that discovery. I highly recommended this book to anyone looking to free themselves from their own dark caverns. He has also made a movie based on the book. Both are worth the time!
Robert Zajac
Mar 14, 2016 Robert Zajac rated it really liked it
I did not see the movie, so I will not be able to give a comparison. As a book, This is a good book, with a few references to the movie, but still able to stand alone. As with other Dyer books - great direction given and wonderful references to other master works of Spirituality.
I liked his book "Power of Intention " more then this, but I would still recommend this as it is clear and straightforward in it's direction for the seeker.
Aug 13, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing
In this book, Dr. Wayne Dyer talks about how everything can change by how we look at things. If we have positive thoughts about achieving or manifesting our desires or needs, we can make the shift in our thinking. In this way, we can find true happiness and contentment.

Dr. Dyer’s books are always very easy to understand manner. He even provides steps that can be followed in order to make this shift. This is a companion book to the movie of the same name. I highly recommend this book.
Sep 23, 2013 David rated it it was ok
An Ok book. Not the best. A lot of flowery language.
The movie is great, and I watch bits and pieces almost every week. But I get the feeling that Dyer was pressured to write this book based on the movie.

While there is some definite good advice, Dyer seems to indicate that a major upset/disappointment/catastrophe is necessary in life to get the shirt under way. What about if one isn't available? Do we have to wait for one?

Just ok. Disappointing.
Mar 01, 2013 Jessica rated it it was ok
I love Wayne Dyer's books and bought this one out of desperation for more of his words. Its a great book to read if you want to get into his philosophy of living and haven't read any of his other stuff. But, essentially, its a condensed view of his other books and is a re-packaging, re-phrasing of his other books. Read 'The Power of Intention' or 'Manifest your destiny' instead - it says it all and is laid out more effectively in this reader's view.
Aug 30, 2013 Nagaraj rated it really liked it
I gave only four starts to the book because this is a companion book to the movie. I saw the movie long time back and read the book now. So, when Author says about what is covered in the movie, it is difficult to remember that.
However, as usual, very insightful thoughts shared by Wayne Dyer. Author covers how we originate and where we end up because of
Society conditioning, how to shift our direction and where to reach & how
to reach the Source.
Basic book about us as a spiritual being. Nothing new and am a bit let down by the loose writing style. This is the first time in reading Dr Wayne Dyer. Had expected more. Although meant to be some sort of companion to the movie, I feel the movie and book should each haven strength to stand on its own. Overall a weak book.
Sian Lile-Pastore
There were quite a few bits in this that i liked and that were interesting but i found the whole book a little light. this is the first dyer book i've read and am guessing it wasn't a great place to start what with this book being a companion to a film n' all. I'd be interested to read more by him and i did like the ideas he put forward and there are lots of nice quotes.
Keith Dussia
Mar 27, 2012 Keith Dussia rated it really liked it
Wayne is a great light and an amazing soul! We all have a message to bring to the world. Wayne does it with what seems to be such ease. Anyone that is open can take away something from this movie. It can tend to be a bit to cute...but the message is loud and clear and that message is determined by where your head and heart is at upon viewing.
Pier Franco
Mar 17, 2014 Pier Franco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely good book, very difficult to describe. It requires a certain level of maturity on the part of the reader in order to grasp its full meaning. It is highly advisable to watch the movie "The Shift" before and after reading the book.

Favorite quote, from a poem by Rabindranath Rumi:

God loves to see in me, not his servant,
but himself who serves all.
  • Happiness Now!: Timeless Wisdom for Feeling Good FAST
  • Don't Die with Your Music Still in You: A Daughter's Response to Her Father's Wisdom
  • Soul Shifts: Transformative Wisdom for Creating a Life of Authentic Awakening, Emotional Freedom & Practical Spirituality
  • The Awakened Family: A Revolution in Parenting
  • Momfulness: Mothering with Mindfulness, Compassion, and Grace
  • Notes from the Universe: New Perspectives from an Old Friend
  • Super Rich: A Guide to Having It All
  • Japanese Cooking - Contemporary & Traditional: Simple, Delicious, and Vegan
  • Radical Self-Forgiveness: The Direct Path to True Self-Acceptance
  • Thank You Power: Making the Science of Gratitude Work for You
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • Mrs. Dunwoody's Excellent Instructions for Homekeeping: Timeless Wisdom and Practical Advice
  • Awaken the Spirit Within: 10 Steps to Ignite Your Life and Fulfill Your Divine Purpose
  • Produced by Faith: Enjoy Real Success without Losing Your True Self
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • Conscious Living: Finding Joy in the Real World
  • How to Read the Akashic Records: Accessing the Archive of the Soul and Its Journey
  • Secrets of the Light: Lessons from Heaven
Wayne Walter Dyer was a popular American self-help advocate, author and lecturer. His 1976 book Your Erroneous Zones has sold over 30 million copies and is one of the best-selling books of all time. It is said to have "[brought] humanistic ideas to the masses".

He received his D.Ed. degree in counseling from Wayne State University. He was a guidance counselor in Detroit at the high school level and
More about Wayne W. Dyer...

“Becoming the observer (step back) you begin to live in process, trusting where our source is taking you. You begin to detach from the outcome. That detachment allows you to stop fighting and allows things to just come to you; you no longer make things happen but allow them to show up. The fight is gone!” 12 likes
“I don’t believe that God is concerned with whether or not we show our love by building magnificent edifices for worship, by attending services, or through practicing rules laid down by religious organizations. It seems to me that if God were to speak to us, the message would simply be to love each other and offer reverence rather than enmity toward all of life.” 5 likes