Start by marking “The Shift: Taking Your Life from Ambition to Meaning” as Want to Read:
The Shift: Taking Your Life from Ambition to Meaning

The Shift: Taking Your Life from Ambition to Meaning

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  546 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The Shift—a companion book to the movie of the same name—illustrates how and why to make the move from ambition to meaning. Such a shift eliminates our feelings of separateness, illuminates our spiritual connectedness, and involves moving from the ego-directed morning into the afternoon of life where everything is primarily influenced by purpose.

As we contemplate leaving t
Published March 1st 2010 by Hay House (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shift

My Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingSpilt Milk by D.K.CassidyThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Books That Are Worth Your Time
289th out of 391 books — 295 voters
To Hold The Sun by Chas WatkinsAs a Man Thinketh by James AllenThe Human Script by Johnny RichBe God To Yourself by Jean-Yves CrozierIllusions by Richard Bach
Thought-Provoking Quick Reads
8th out of 13 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Serene NG
This book and movie save my life. I got a total shift in Jan 2012 with Dr Wayne help. It took me 3 times to watch the movie again and again until I got it. I was totally clear and sane to be awaken by the spiritual realm. Thank God for his work and that I am now alive and awakened.
Johnny Kavanagh
Just read the INTRO and finished Chapter one,looks like another great book by Dr Wayne Dyer.Ok , I have finished reading the book Twice, now all I can say is, It's an Excellent read and well done to Dr Wayne Dyer. You have to make the Effort to change bad habits in your life and also Let go of certain things in your past, Like Mr Dyer says, let bygones be bygones, I ultimately agree here with him on this, challenge yourself, make realistic measured goals and set out to achieve them, do not ever ...more
Venkataraman Kumbakonam S.
This is more a book on Philosophy and Spiritual Development. We struggle for attaining so many things in life. The book throws light over why we are so self-centered and narrow-minded, forgetting our source of being; and our only source of sustenance.

After elaborately explaining how the illogical separation takes place, the author also shows us the way to go home.

It all should begin with the enquiry on 'Who am I?' and lead to the realization of true Self. The book reveals the author's vigorous
There were parts of this book that I really liked, although much of that seemed recycled from other books I have read in the past. The first two chapters were painful. Full of flowerly, obtuse language, I found myself chuckling and not for the right reasons. He has some excellent points about letting go and not defining your life by possessions and ambition. But, I didn't necessarily agree with him on all of his ruminations on ambition. At times he seemed to be saying that we should be wholly wi ...more
Alissa Ruppert
I actually listened to the audio book and watched the movie :) It is wonderful, I remember after watching the movie I had the most amazing lucid dreams, probably because I let all of my stresses flout away before I drifted on to the world I can create.
Ray Clark
Loved the movie of the same name. This book is a great source to assist in traveling from the "ego" to the "spiritual." The film educates mostly by example, the book is more instructional. The book is only a little over a hundred pages long and worth the short time it takes to peruse.

My last five books:

- I am what I have and I am what I
Do (my value depends on what I
accomplish)
- You must compete
- I am what other people think of
me
- who I am is separate from
everyone else
- who I am is separate from
source
- meaning phase of life: you want to feel fulfilled and live your life on purpose
- dharma: your divine life purpose
- quantum moment: what it is like when you have a peak moment (vivid, surprise, benevolent, enduring)
- synchronicity: you are conn
Iona  Main Stewart
I really enjoyed Wayne Dyer’s latest book, Wishes fulfilled, but I found this one a bit hard going and difficult to get into, hence the four instead of five stars.

Wayne discusses the shift “from ambition to meaning” which is also the topic of his film of the same name. At first it was not easy to find out what he was really talking about. The phrase “ambition to meaning” seemed a little abstruse, and terming one chapter “From” and another “To” seemed a bit strange though understandable. Particul
Loy Machedo
Wayne Walter Dyer born May 10, 1940 is an American self-help author, and lecturer with around 30 titles to his credit. His first classic being the self-help psychology masterpiece Your Errogenous Zones – which had a slow start and then became an instant best seller.

Following the success of that book, he then to more spiritual stuff like
• Experiencing the Miraculous
• Excuses Begone!
• There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
• The Power of Intention
• You can Heal your Life

The common thread i
Brian Kaplan
I am grateful for the book and the movie. It makes me realize that I am exactly where I should be in life and to be grateful for the seasons in my life. Get the book, and give one away to your ten closest friends who are struggling with LIFE / Work Balance.
Annmarie Kostyk
You can't go wrong with Dr Dyer. Super short book focusing on the direction we're going in life rather than where we've been. He says the goal is to get us back to our source f being and away from our ego which is what makes out lives such a mess.
Cathy
I believe that this is Wayne Dyer's greatest book. It's short but has everything you need to know in it. It is surely changing my life and the way I live. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Rubina
While this book is a companion to the movie of the same title, it is self-sufficient enough to be read on its own. Dr Wayne Dyer has written many motivational books but this has to be one of our my favourites. The message is simple; we spend most of our lives serving our egos and lose sight of our authentic selves, however, it is never too late to transform to a life of purpose and a life with meaning.
If you are looking at change, seeking transformation and awakening, this book is highly recomme
Iva Tarle
Loved the book. This was my first Dyers book, and i want to read more.

It speaks about spiritual truth applied to every day life. How the true fulfilment comes from consiously choosing to recognize what we do out of ambition as opposed to what truly bringing us happyness.
The example is how we choose career because of titles, how important it makes us feel, the money, fame etc. But all of these things do not make us happy, they just cares our outer shell.
The real happiness comes from recognizing o
Temperamente
Negli Stati Uniti, si sa, abbondano psicologi e predicatori religiosi che vanno in giro a tenere gremitissime conferenze e che sfornano, uno dopo l’altro, libri da milioni di copie vendute. In essi, come nei manuali di bricolage o di aeromodellismo, si spiega alle masse come essere felici, come raggiungere l’appagamento sessuale o come diventare illuminati in 10 tappe. Gli Americani vanno pazzi per le liste di istruzioni, perché pensano che tutto dipenda da una “tecnica”.

Continua a leggere: http
Sourav Ghosh
Reading this book took my thinking to a whole new level. I watched the movie of the same name 'The Shift' and it was amazing. I would recommend both the movie and book to everybody. Whole life we chase material possessions thinking achieving all these ambitions will make us happy. But in vein we reach a position in our life, where we realize to be successful or to be happy, we just need to remember who we really are-we have to accept the God force within us. This book clarified the purpose of li ...more
Michelle
Amazing perspective on how to live your life! Highly recommend.
"Jeff" Hall
Fans of Dr. Dyer will love this slight volume, which discusses how we can put aside the ego and find true happiness. As a new reader, I didn't find the book opening any new insights or enriching my spiritual journey. The enclosed DVD was interesting and enjoyable, however.
David
An Ok book. Not the best. A lot of flowery language.
The movie is great, and I watch bits and pieces almost every week. But I get the feeling that Dyer was pressured to write this book based on the movie.

While there is some definite good advice, Dyer seems to indicate that a major upset/disappointment/catastrophe is necessary in life to get the shirt under way. What about if one isn't available? Do we have to wait for one?

Just ok. Disappointing.
Jessica
I love Wayne Dyer's books and bought this one out of desperation for more of his words. Its a great book to read if you want to get into his philosophy of living and haven't read any of his other stuff. But, essentially, its a condensed view of his other books and is a re-packaging, re-phrasing of his other books. Read 'The Power of Intention' or 'Manifest your destiny' instead - it says it all and is laid out more effectively in this reader's view.
Nagaraj
I gave only four starts to the book because this is a companion book to the movie. I saw the movie long time back and read the book now. So, when Author says about what is covered in the movie, it is difficult to remember that.
However, as usual, very insightful thoughts shared by Wayne Dyer. Author covers how we originate and where we end up because of
Society conditioning, how to shift our direction and where to reach & how
to reach the Source.
Chris
Thought this was a good message. Comes with a video which I liked better than the book.

About moving from being ego centric to being purpose driven or spiritually motivated. Or another way of thinking about it is moving from a knowers stance (ego directed) to a learners stance (open to the spiritual).

I checked the book out from the library and would recommend doing this in order to watch the DVD instead of reading the book.
Chitra
Confused.... Have to read it a 2nd time.....
TheAcaciaTree
"The Shift" is a continuation of Dr. Dyer's own shift into a more meaningful existence. His journey is an inspiration to all who share it with him. This book is about changing your life by finding your self and acting upon that discovery. I highly recommended this book to anyone looking to free themselves from their own dark caverns. He has also made a movie based on the book. Both are worth the time!
Pier Franco
An extremely good book, very difficult to describe. It requires a certain level of maturity on the part of the reader in order to grasp its full meaning. It is highly advisable to watch the movie "The Shift" before and after reading the book.

Favorite quote, from a poem by Rabindranath Rumi:

God loves to see in me, not his servant,
but himself who serves all.
Sian Lile-Pastore
There were quite a few bits in this that i liked and that were interesting but i found the whole book a little light. this is the first dyer book i've read and am guessing it wasn't a great place to start what with this book being a companion to a film n' all. I'd be interested to read more by him and i did like the ideas he put forward and there are lots of nice quotes.
Keith Dussia
Wayne is a great light and an amazing soul! We all have a message to bring to the world. Wayne does it with what seems to be such ease. Anyone that is open can take away something from this movie. It can tend to be a bit to cute...but the message is loud and clear and that message is determined by where your head and heart is at upon viewing.
Monica
Basic book about us as a spiritual being. Nothing new and am a bit let down by the loose writing style. This is the first time in reading Dr Wayne Dyer. Had expected more. Although meant to be some sort of companion to the movie, I feel the movie and book should each haven strength to stand on its own. Overall a weak book.
Barbara Bakie
Interesting and enjoyable but not so much new
Rita
Oprah did a program on her network that in essence put this book into film form. The book is good and so is the film. Comes back for me to that whole 'edge God out' part of us that we call ego. Like the way he presents the concept and I can see it in action.
  • Notes from the Universe: New Perspectives from an Old Friend
  • How to Read the Akashic Records: Accessing the Archive of the Soul and Its Journey
  • Conscious Living: Finding Joy in the Real World
  • The Spontaneous Healing of Belief: Shattering the Paradigm of False Limits
  • Spiritual Liberation: Fulfilling Your Soul's Potential
  • Spiritual Economics: The Principles and Process of True Prosperity
  • Life!
  • Oneness With All Life Treasury Edition: Inspirational Selections from A New Earth
  • I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodbye: Surviving, Coping and Healing after the Sudden Death of a Loved-One
Wayne Walter Dyer is a popular American self-help advocate, author and lecturer. His 1976 book Your Erroneous Zones has sold over 30 million copies and is one of the best-selling books of all time. It is said to have "[brought] humanistic ideas to the masses".

He received his D.Ed. degree in counseling from Wayne State University. He was a guidance counselor in Detroit at the high school level and
More about Wayne W. Dyer...
The Power of Intention: Learning to Co-create Your World Your Way Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living the Wisdom of the Tao Your Erroneous Zones Excuses Begone!: How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits Inspiration: Your Ultimate Calling

“Becoming the observer (step back) you begin to live in process, trusting where our source is taking you. You begin to detach from the outcome. That detachment allows you to stop fighting and allows things to just come to you; you no longer make things happen but allow them to show up. The fight is gone!” 1 likes
“You get to a place where you begin to be guided by something greater than yourself. You stop fighting and striving (indeed the need to expend this type of energy is often a strong indicator that you are not in flow and where you are meant to be) and instead, surrender to your higher purpose and be guided from there, allowing things to happen, trusting in source, focusing on your why and letting go of the how...” 0 likes