Start by marking “Crafting a Business: Make Money Doing What You Love” as Want to Read:
Crafting a Business: Make Money Doing What You Love

Crafting a Business: Make Money Doing What You Love

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Home-based businesses are a common starting point for many entrepreneurs—and women in particular yearn for flexible hours as well as the chance to do creative work they really love. But how can that dream become reality? Find out, from the experts who already made it happen. The women artisans at the heart of this volume will inspire and motivate anyone who wants to follow ...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Hearst (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Crafting a Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crafting a Business

Andria
Dec 17, 2009 Andria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pleasant with inspiration and light on information until the final section, where lots of "getting started" advice is packed in. The bulk of the book features four or so pages per woman entrepreneur who turned a craft product or service into a business. Fun to look through. Getting into talk of business plans, accountants, taxes, and insurance scares me off from doing any "official" with MY crafts!
Laurie
Mar 30, 2011 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a cute little book and it was neat to see what ideas some other people have come up with for businesses, but it left me feeling that making a living doing crafts I enjoy is beyond my reach...one really has to be a go-getter and have an entrepreneurial spirit...that's not me.
Joss
Sep 30, 2012 Joss rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was expecting or looking for. It's more like a bunch of bio's of women who made crafting a business.
Heather
Jan 21, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great one to read for inspiration and motivation. It features tons of successful female crafters, and their helpful advice to those just starting out, as well as beautiful pictures to look at. My problem with the book, however, is that it presents itself as a resource for "how" to make money crafting. In reality, there is very little business advice in this book (if you want that, turn to The Crafts Business Answer Book by Barbara Brabec!). So I loved all the inspiration, motivati ...more
Quanda
Sep 21, 2009 Quanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women Entrepreneur's
I absolutely loved this book. This book featured more than a few women making their creative passion work for them in a lucrative fashion. Not only that, but being happy doing it. Each woman told their story, the beginning, the faith, fear, no money, bold mistakes and their outcomes. This book is truly inspirational, informative, encouraging and resourceful.

The first half of the book are the women featured. The second half of the book is how to take the necessary steps on what to do to start a b
Titi Meche
Interesting ideas. Great creativity.
Inspirational to know how these dreams were fulfilled.
Son
Apr 01, 2014 Son rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good clear info from those who have already succeeded in their own crafting businesses.
penny shima glanz
Within the pages of this slender volume are stories of 25 women who have done it-- crafted a business and found a sustainable way to have joy in their daily work. I found the essays well edited and the photographs added so much more to it -- something I did expect when I saw that Country Living had a role in the process. I found the stories inspiring and useful to me as I try to break out of the mold I've been placed into for years and try to find the balance between the crafts I enjoy and the " ...more
Amanda
Jan 01, 2016 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Neat concept but everything is in VERY general terms
Karen
Aug 02, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just did not fit into this one. I was expecting more how to and these were just not down to earth gritty examples that are helpful to my mindset. Very disappointing when I checked it out from the library. I skimmed over and skipped a lot. You might like it, if you are-can I say-QVC type ?-and like learning about more vip type entrepreneur people. Every business they featured were not really my type of stuff I enjoy. that was probably a big reason I did not care for it much.
Robin
Jun 23, 2010 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A nice book to flip through if you have ever thought about starting your own business. Features 31 successful women from a variety of creative companies (designers, artists, service providers.) The second half is the nitty-gritty side to starting a business with sections on marketing, sales, financing, business plans and more.
Janet
Jan 09, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this book for the unemployed Miss Sally to look at to get some ideas about what she could do with the rest of her life, since she's so crafty. She liked the book, but I too ended up being fascinated with the idea of starting a business doing something you love and are good at. Lots of good stuff in here.
Robin Norgren
Sep 12, 2011 Robin Norgren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even if you do not have a business, this book is so well laid out with beautiful pictures and incredible interview with a slew of talented artisans. I actually read this and am re-reading it just to keep myself in the mindset of the value of this type of work. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
Susan
Jun 24, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took this out for my daughter but I think I liked it more than she did - great stories from entrepreneurs who followed their bliss, already following up a few of them on their websites. I heart crafts and the artists behind them.
Pascale
Aug 07, 2012 Pascale rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Upper middle-class East-Coast WASP types and others show off about their successes.
Jillian
I loved this. It was totally inspiring, and I found lots of helpful tips.
Elisa Garza
Inspirational stories from women making a living doing what they love!
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Jennifer Ganzzermiller
Jennifer Ganzzermiller rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Vonda Joiner
Vonda Joiner rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Lezlie
Lezlie marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Sarah Maxfield
Sarah Maxfield marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Summer
Summer added it
Jan 22, 2016
Teri Dona
Teri Dona marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Kym Myck
Kym Myck rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Mikolaj Walczak
Mikolaj Walczak marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Phillip Sawyer
Phillip Sawyer rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Sarah Kathman
Sarah Kathman marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015