Start by marking “Twin Spica, Volume: 01” as Want to Read:
Twin Spica, Volume: 01

Twin Spica, Volume: 01 (Twin Spica / ふたつのスピカ Japanese Numbering #1)

In a Tokyo in the not too distant future a young girl studies deligently with ambitions of soon attending space academy.  If things work out just right, her future may very well be among the stars as well. And yet, every time she looks up to the stars there is a sense of melancholy in her heart. A sadness surrounds Asumi, as space exploration itself has profoundly impacted ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Vertical (first published January 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Twin Spica, Volume, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twin Spica, Volume

Seth T.
Jul 28, 2011 Seth T. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
[Review of whole series.]

Twin Spica by Kou Yaginuma

There is this fine line, razor thin actually, between the base manipulation of a reader and the generation of emotional impact through honest means. You might not believe it exists and you’d be right to be skeptical. Books that straddle the line are rarer than books that praise the literary structure and depth of Stephenie Meyer novels. Or maybe not that rare. But still, pretty rare.

The thing is: most books that call out to the passions either a) do so quite honestly and
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 09, 2010 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
Reason for Reading: This is a Cybils '10 nominee and required reading for me as a graphic novels panelist.

I think you could say I read my fair share of manga, and as time goes by I'm reading more and more; it has become one of my reading passions. I don't think I've ever been this enthused about a first volume since I've been reading manga. Absolutely brilliant! First off we have an utter realistic science fiction story, set in 2024, about a 13yo girl, Asumi, who wants to be an astronaut and tak
Maya
Review for volumes 1 - 4

Twin Spica is a touching story about growing up and pursuing your dream.

For the characters in this one, the dream in question is to become an astronaut, but you can really replace it with anything else you're passionate about, because the emotions and struggles depicted here are universal. And even if you don't care much about outer space, the many images of starry skies and planets are always beautiful to look at.

For me the series has a very calming atmosphere, with some
Susan
Sep 24, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite manga series, this tells the story of Asumi Kamogawa, a young girl who dreams of being an astronaut, even though she has grown up in the shadow of a tragic shuttle disaster that took the lives of all aboard (including her teacher's fiance and Asumi's own mother). Asumi's father has given himself over to grief and self-doubt since the accident (he was one of the engineers involved in the project) and her mother's passing and buries himself in work. Asumi isn't lonely, however-- ...more
Reader
Jan 01, 2011 Reader rated it really liked it
A real surprise, particularly for those folks who think they don't like manga. Since the death of her other in a tragic accident, Asumi has always dreamed of someday piloting a rocket to the stars. Set in the near future after a horrible attempt by the Japanese at spaceflight, the dream may soon be a reality. Asumi is accepted into a prestigious flight academy. Unfortunately, the academy has accepted too many students. There is a final test to weed out the attendees, and Asumi finds herself not ...more
Nicole
Sep 03, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
Ooh, lovely. I need to find more manga in this clean, sparse style. Emotional without being too maudlin. Shades of Ender's Game, but without the war plot. Girl astronauts! Woohoo! The Mr. Lion bits remind me of Ray Bradbury for some reason.
Vicki
Feb 11, 2011 Vicki rated it really liked it
After reading vol. 1:

(3 stars)

Shojo sci-fi manga about a schoolgirl who wants to go to Tokyo Space School and learn to fly spacecraft. I've read to the end of volume 1 and so far its engaging enough to make me want to get hold of more. Its a bit on the sentimental side rather than straight up quirky and fun, but the art style suits the themes involved, and the characters are so far easy to understand and get on with. I would also recommend this for younger readers.

After reading up to vol. 6:

Starbubbles
Oct 18, 2012 Starbubbles rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The artwork is adorable, even when illustrating a rocket exploding. I have to say, the lion character is the most interesting to me. But everything about this manga is interesting, through and through. It deals with love, loss, ambition, coming of age, realizing dreams, the afterlife, national tragedy, friendship, family...
Most series do not cover all of that, yet alone a single volume. This might be too much for me at this time. Even if that is the case, it would be worth and second, or even a
fraulein
Oct 16, 2016 fraulein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-league
Rating sementara sampe bisa baca ulang.
Anna
May 18, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
When I am looking for new manga, I generally just grab random books from the shelves, maybe briefly look at the art to make sure some of the content is stuff I wouldn't be mortified about having my parents know I read, and then I read it within the next two days before either getting the next book in the series or starting a new one altogether.
This is one where I'll be getting the next book in the series.
Firstly, I liked the art style. I was about two write "loved" but I didn't, because the art
Emkoshka
Around this time of year, I'm exhausted and looking for light and easy reads that don't take a fortnight to finish. Hello graphic novels, comics and mangaaaaaa! I found Twin Spica through a serendipity search on my local library catalogue and thought it sounded like a good read: a young girl goes to space school in a near-future Japan. The artwork is beautiful for manga and the story is the perfect blend of heartwarming, poignant and surreal, with the addition of an imaginary friend/ghost lion t ...more
Grace Zhen
Nov 10, 2010 Grace Zhen rated it it was amazing
This book is very heartwarming. The main character Asumi has a dream and it's to be an astronaut. The bond between Asumi and her dad is strong because eventhough they are poor right now, but the dad gives her the money for the intuition and wishes Asumi to follow the dream that she has been chasing for so many years because a child's happiness is a parent's happiness as well. I really loved this bond that they share because Asumi doesn't want to burden her father but her father wants to takes on ...more
Kate
Jun 22, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing
Wow. It's not often that a manga series will grab me like this one has. Twin Spica is utterly charming, beautiful, and thoughtful. It's a story about a girl, Asumi, who dreams of going to space. Tragedy has touched her past, but Asumi is cheerful and optimistic about her future. There's a quiet tone to the story, almost melancholy at times - I found my eyes tearing up more than once - but there is also a beautiful interweaving of spirituality and connectivity. Space may be vast, beyond our compr ...more
Anny
Jun 18, 2013 Anny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
It all began with a tragedy. The first manned rocket of Japan, the Lion, caught fire 72 seconds after launch and crashed into a nearby town, causing countless civilian casualties.

Tragedy will forever be with Asumi Kamogawa, who lost her mother and, in a sense, her father as well, whom always had to work to shoulder the crippling hospital debts. An empty house and a lonely life, shunned by others, was what was left for her.

Tragedy was the end of his life, a young man who board the Lion, full of
Sarah Sammis
Jan 14, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Twin Spica, Volume 1 by Kou Yaginuma was on the short list for this year's Cybils. I'm glad it did as it is an excellent start to a science fiction manga series that I would have missed otherwise.

In this volume Asumi is roomed with two other girls during a test that will take all their cooperation if they want to pass and make it into the Tokyo Space School.

Intermixed with the test, the setting up of a huge number of dominoes, are flashbacks and insights into Asumi's past. Ever since she was a y
The Book Sale Scrounger
Jan 10, 2015 The Book Sale Scrounger rated it really liked it
Shelves: beautiful-art
In a modern manga world dominated by the one trick ponies of tsunderes and sex icons, it's nice to return a simpler time in the media where the story genuinely cares about developing the motivations of its characters. It'll make more of an impact for you to read the story with no idea on what exactly you're getting into, but here's a basic summarization: We see not only how important the stars are to our main heroine, but why exactly they are. We see our character's backstories, the reasons behi ...more
Kika
Apr 06, 2015 Kika rated it really liked it

Sebenernya udah kepo sama komik ini dari lama, tapi baru baca sekarang gara-gara lagi nyari hal apapun yang berhubungan dengan astro :'))
Tertarik sama komik ini gara-gara judulnya itu nama bintang, dan temanya ngangkat astronot (deket-deket sama astronomilah :v) Berharap banget kalo di buku ini bukan judulnya aja yang namanya bintang, tapi dalemnya juga masih ada sangkut pautnya sama bintang dan langit.
Ternyata emang beneran ada :'D
Sedih karena baru baca komik ini sekarang, padahal udah
Jan 20, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is a really good manga and probably an enjoyable read for just about any age. It's about a school girl, Asumi, and her passion to become a space pilot. It reminded me a little about the Swedish young adult book Uttagningen where teens go through tests to get into space school. However, Twin Spica is less about the adventure and more about the melancholic history that got Asumi where she is. In the beginning she has an imaginary mascot, Mr. Lion, named after a Japanese space craft that explo ...more
Molly
Jan 19, 2011 Molly rated it it was amazing
This series is fantastic! Asumi was born in 2009, one year before the first rocket built entirely in Japan malfunctioned and crashed in Tokyo, killing hundreds and horribly injuring Asumi's mother, who died five years later leaving Asumi and her father alone. He was a rocket scientist, but now works at some undisclosed company; she has only one dream: to pilot a rocket ship to space. She has the opportunity to achieve her goal, IF she can get into space school and succeed in the astronaut progra ...more
Bryan Zorko
Apr 24, 2012 Bryan Zorko rated it really liked it
Picked this up randomly when in the main library, as part of an experiment to see what graphic novels they had I could browse. My main complaint about OSU's library system being that most of this content requires requests, and severely reduces my fun when I'm in the library...
Didn't really know what to expect with this one, but just picked it out by the cover and a quick flip through. Overall, I was really pleased with the story, and the mid-story realization about Mr. Lion was pretty unexpected
Anastasia Tuckness
I enjoyed this book! The main character's mom was hit by fallout from a Japanese rocket launch and died when she was 5. She is determined to be an astronaut and the book picks up with her in a test for entry to "space school." The dynamics among the prospective astronauts were interesting.

The 2nd half was a flashback and I had a bit of trouble keeping straight the historical elements from the fantastical ones. (Is Mr. Lion real? A ghost? A projection of her imagination? A man with a lion head? S
Dani
4.5 stars for the slow start.

The setup was quick and well done. Mr. Lion was a cool character, though I was sad she wasn't closer to her father. The second mission was a lot more fun, a practical test where the room fails or succeeds as a group. We learn about Twin Spica (two stars so close in orbit they look like 1 from the ground). The rest of the volume was a lot better than the first half.

The art is cute with simple lines yet complex scenes. I liked all the secondary characters and their ext
Ashley D--
Sep 01, 2012 Ashley D-- rated it it was amazing
A dang good start to a story! Lovable main character with a supporting cast I'm interested in getting to know. Lots of mystery behind the supporting cast, most especially Mr Lion, a ghost who hangs around Asumi's town wearing the head of a lion costume. Asumi has a reasonable goal and it's easy to invest in it along with her, and I want to learn more about her backstory.

While there is nothing sexual in this manga, the subject matter is a bit dark, so I would recommend it to teens and adults onl
Clinton Sheppard
Sep 10, 2013 Clinton Sheppard rated it liked it
Asumi is a bright young girl who is trying to get admitted to Tokyo Space School.

The flow in the book is out of order. I suggest reading the chapters entitled _2015:Fireworks_ and _Asumi_ first as they give some back story about Asumi, then read the _Mission_ chapters.

No sexuality or language issues but 1) a character dies, and 2) a couple of characters are slapped in the face by other characters.
Stacey
Sep 16, 2012 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
i normally review graphic novels and manga based in part on the drawings and part on the writing. i have mostly forgotten what the drawings look like in this book, but the story resonates like crazy. it was beautifully written and packed in much more meaning than i am used to. many manga characters are a trope of a particular emotion/trait, but the characters in this story are fully developed, have depth, and are relatable.
Emma
Sep 04, 2012 Emma rated it it was amazing
This book is a really good Si Fi book. It is believable and adorable. I would recommend it to Si Fi loves or manga lovers, ages 10 and up. Eight year old kids might be able to read this if they can read the traditional manga format and get the more complex parts of it. I like how it goes into Asumi, the main character's life before, and also about Lion-san's life before he died and became a ghost. I think that it adds depth and meaning to the story.
Elvira
Jul 29, 2012 Elvira rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult, manga
The story is about, Asumi, an young petite girl who has always dreamed of the stars is now trying to pass the exams to get into Japan's space school. The story encompasses Asumi unusual story about the connection between her parents and the Japanese space rocket accident, and Asumi's adventures in the after-life. I enjoyed the story about children dreaming of becoming an astronaut along with the imaginative approach to dealing with death.
Sara
Mar 23, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
Wow, this one really sucked me in despite the stupid design of that lion mascot. It's pretty engrossing, especially once you get to the surprise test. And even at the very end, those two flashback chapters that I thought were going to be throw aways were actually most touching two chapters in the volume and I'm a little ashamed to admit that darn lion made me drop a tear or two. Sniff. I didn't expect his story to be that cute. Gosh. What a sucker punch that was, Yaginuma-san.
Lara
Someone (Wes? Maybe?) told me to read this series a few years ago, but I forgot about it until I ran across it at the library the other day. I'm not entirely sure what to think of it so far. I like the story, but I think I'm not a big fan of the art. But I'm interested enough to keep going with it for another volume or two and see how it goes!
Ravenhats
Jun 28, 2012 Ravenhats rated it it was amazing
A extremely heartwarming tale, with unique in art style Twin Spica is one of the best children manga available. While it is a bit formulaic in certain areas this work got me genuinely hooked with it's mood, and the interesting aspects of plot and characters. Thanks again Vertical Inc. for being on the forefront of great manga publication
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1 (Saturn Apartments, #1)
  • Cross Game 1 (Cross Game, #1-3)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1)
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 2
  • All My Darling Daughters
  • 7 Billion Needles, Vol. 1
  • Lychee Light Club
  • Planetes, Volume 1 (Planetes, #1)

Twin Spica / ふたつのスピカ Japanese Numbering (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 02
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 03
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 04
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 05
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 06
  • Twin Spica vol. 07 (Twin Spica, # 7)
  • ふたつのスピカ 8