Start by marking “My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 1

My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 1 (My Girlfriend's a Geek #1)

Taiga is a college student who's always scraping by. All he wants is a part-time job and a cute girlfriend. So when he spies a 'help wanted' sign outside an office and a hot girl inside, he takes the job, no questions asked. And everything goes well, prompting him to steel his courage and ask Yuiko, a full-time employee at the office, out on date. And when she asks him if ...more
Published May 18th 2010 by Yen Press

To ask other readers questions about My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 1

Su
Feb 02, 2011 Su rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, bl-friendly
This is an exceedingly accurate portrait of a modern-day fujoshi and her loves... which, at least marginally, now include the manga's clueless protagonist, Taiga.

Taiga is a completely regular boy--college student majoring in Lit, busy with homework, working a menial part-time job to scrape together a living, hanging out or studying with his best friend Kouji once in a while--until the day he sees Yuiko. A beautiful twenty-something admin assistant at a small business (a logistics company, it lo
Anna
Jan 09, 2012 Anna rated it did not like it
Why did the translators feel the need to title this "geek" I'll never know! The girl isn't geeky, she's just your stereotyped yaoi weeboo, the bad kind!
If there was ever a character with no likeability, drowned in her own yaoi fangirl delusions and deserved a punch in the face - THIS 'rotten girl' is her. She doesn't even pretend to give a fuck about the guy beyond "z0mg!! lemme use you for my new shouta fantasy!!"
Nicole
Jun 22, 2010 Nicole rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, shojo
Miss Ryoko
Oct 30, 2014 Miss Ryoko rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, library-book
Huh.... well, I have quite a bit to say about the first volume in this short series.

First, the overview - so this is a manga adaption apparently of some guy's popular blog. It's about Taiga (who represents Pentabu) and his coworker turned girlfriend Yuiko. After Taiga tells Yuiko he likes her, she tells him she's an otaku...no, much worse, a fujoshi (a girl who digs boy with boy relationships and often takes male characters in mangas and ships them). Taiga isn't really sure what that means but h
Cat
Apr 09, 2011 Cat rated it did not like it
Shelves: shoujo, manga, wip
This series doesn't represent fujoshi in a good light whatsoever. The main character easily accepts the guy's request to date and then goes on to just use him as a sounding board for her thoughts and her fantasies but not in any capacity as a couple. She doesn't think of him at all, nor does she seem to care about him in any way as her boyfriend.

All this story seems to say is that fujoshi are weird women who can't have normal relationships and don't care about straight men. I didn't enjoy it at
Littlebearries
Sep 09, 2010 Littlebearries rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Yaoi Fangirls who don't need plot in their stories
Truly awful manga. The only good thing about it is the artwork.

The characters lack personality... the girl is fan service to Yaoi fangirls who dream of having such a daft, idiotic boyfriend.

Absolutely disliked it.
Christina
Taiga Mutou is your average run-of-the-mill college student. He studies, he hangs out with his best friend, and his wallet is empty. When he begins to keep an eye out for a job, right away he spots the dazzling and older Yuiko Ameya, an employee at a warehouse. Completely fallen over her beauty, Taiga is in luck when he applies for a part-time job at the warehouse and gets it! But, alas, at first things seem bleak. Something is always getting in the way of Taiga and his crush making contact, ...more
Courtney
Oct 21, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Brenda, Suzie... they'll get the humour. :)
Recommended to Courtney by: Shelfari, IIRC.
I thought this was a cute manga.

The main character (Taiga Mutou) has a thing for older woman, and falls in love with Yuiko at first sight. He gets a summer job at the company she works for in the hope of being able to get to know her.

Unfortunately for him, he has no idea what he's getting himself in for... :)

(view spoiler)

He is quickly caught off guard by his initiation
Vonze (Yvonne)
Feb 28, 2014 Vonze (Yvonne) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: manga fans
I liked the general idea behind this series. While I'm not personally a yaoi fan, I've known several girls who are...extremely. And I've wondered how a boyfriend, fiance, or husband would deal/feel about that obsession.

Taiga is a typical guy who develops a crush on a coworker. That aspect of the story reminded a little of "Jim and Pam" from The Office. As Taiga begins to date his crush, he learns that she is a Fujoshi, aka a girl obsessed with male male manga relationships. It makes their relati
Starbubbles
Nov 09, 2012 Starbubbles rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga

It might be that I'm tired and it's almost two in the morning, but I hated this. So much in fact that it could not wait until the morning to write what I thought. I couldn't even finish it.

I found Yuiko annoying from the get-go, and Taiga to be a shojo moron. A girl walks across the street with a pretty face and he's smitten stupid. He's practically obsessed, which is ironic because she's obsessed too, just not in a real relationship way.

Thank God for libraries because I don't think I could h
Seika Natsuki
Jan 29, 2012 Seika Natsuki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardcopy, original
That's a nice train of laughs from reading this. Read some random lines from the novel previously so I had some idea of the stories.

Let's see... the first meeting and ring case (not in the novel?), the confession story, the understanding what "fujoshi" means story and the "uke Sebastian" story with more BL fan service on the male character.

So, Y-ko is for Yuiko. The comic version is cute, although the chibi version is cuter.

Worse part of the comic version in my opinion is because this is semi-fi
Kristen
Taiga just got a job and is crushing on one of his co-worker, Yuiko. After spending a little time with her, Taiga gathers up the courage to ask her to be his girlfriend. Before Yuiko agrees, however, she warns him that she is a fujoshi. Taiga says it doesn't bother him, but hedoesn't really know what he's in for.

I think this series would get old fast. I've only read the first volume, but I'm already getting annoyed. I find myself getting very angry at Yuiko. She has no respect for Taiga whatsoev
Kiri
May 06, 2016 Kiri rated it liked it
*This will be a review for the series as a whole*

I really enjoyed reading this series for the fact that the main character does and says things that are exactly like a friend that I have. There were many times I chuckled in remembrance of something my friend had said or done that Yuiko did as well.

I also enjoyed the art style, and the characters expressions at times were amusing.

The only thing I have a problem with is the shortness of this series. I don't think that the characters and the stor
Sarah Lu
Apr 25, 2011 Sarah Lu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, own
A wonderfully hilarious tale of a guy and his fujoshi girlfriend. The characters' antics are quite humorous, though not too over the top. Also, there is a helpful glossary of terms throughout the book to explain terms that the reader may not already know. The art is quite pleasing to the eye as well. One noticeable difference between the written novel and the graphic novel is that Y-ko doesn't seem quite as... highstrung in the graphic novel as she does in the novel, which I find a bit more ...more
Turtles
Jan 20, 2013 Turtles rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-and-comics
The English title for this is so incongruous compared to the Japanese title. The Japanese title tells you the plot, it's called Fujoshi Kanojo. Fujoshi is a Japanese term for girl who like boy-love things, and Kanojo is girlfriend. And thus the story is about a boy who unwittingly starts to date a girl who is a Fujoshi, she even tells him - but he didn't know what it meant. She starts urging him to write her a BL fanfiction of a shonen manga, then discovers his friendship with another boy and ...more
Deirdre
Nov 09, 2012 Deirdre rated it really liked it
I love manga that makes fun of fangirls (and I say this with love for fangirls). "Geek" is a weird translation of the word "fujoshi" (the Japanese title is 腐女子彼女, "Fujoshi Kanojo"). As the synopsis ^ says, a "fujoshi" is "a rabid female fan of boys' love." I wonder if Yen Press was trying to appeal to a broader audience? Anyway, I laughed out loud many times, though the humour might not translate if you haven't had direct experience with fangirls. (: The art is pretty cute, too.
Lauren (Lauren Reads YA)
It's an alright series, nothing spectacular though. I expected something completely different because of the word 'geek' in the title. This girl is no geek, just a fangirl/extreme shipper. I only picked it up because it was super cheap and I liked the artwork and expected something cute and nerdy. Read the first two volumes and I'm not sure if I'll continue.
This manga has a LOT of flaws and it's quite weird, but I guess I'd recommend it if you're into yaoi or shipping in general.
Lucille
Nov 20, 2015 Lucille rated it liked it
Shelves: read-manga
It started out as cute and light but towards the end it got a little messy.

The girl just... seems like she's using the guy for her fujoshi fantasies. I mean, yeah I guess it's ok until she started shipping him and his friend together and calling him fujoshi terms. She completely disregards his feelings about the whole thing.

This manga is cute and quite funny but I'm only recommending it if you're a lighthearted and easy-going person.
Joy
May 28, 2010 Joy rated it liked it
On one hand, the jokes are right on target: Yuiko is a pretty accurate depiction of a certain type of fujoshi. On the other hand, it's not a particularly sympathetic portrayal. Yuiko is self-absorbed, and Taiga pretty much deserves what he gets given his own shallow reasons for dating her. I laughed a lot when I read this, but I don't like the characters enough to be interested in reading the next volume.
Jacqui Geisel
Jan 03, 2012 Jacqui Geisel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-read
Note: review is for the series up to where I've read (volume 3).

Very cute and funny. Some of Yuiko's actions and mannerisms can seem a bit excessive (and I do wish she's stop calling Taiga "Sebas"), but overall it's still a sweet series.
Chelsea
Mar 09, 2014 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Shelves: shoujo-manga
This series looks really interesting so far. The guy seems like he is in a bit over his head at this point in the series and I feel kind of sorry for him but it is funny to see how confused he gets about some of the things she says.
Fiore777
Apr 19, 2011 Fiore777 rated it really liked it
Some funny material to be had. I could understand much of the feelings being a fan of such material myself. Or should I say, being a fan who's husband has been terrified by occasionally looking over at my screen. :)
Sarah Rosenberger
Mar 13, 2013 Sarah Rosenberger rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, manga
Boy falls in love with cute girl. Girl turns out to be creepy boys love fangirl. It's kind of an interesting twist to have the girl be the creeper, and I learned a lot about yaoi fan culture, but it's just not my thing.
Myka
Apr 15, 2012 Myka rated it really liked it
Shoujo were guy falls for a yaoi fangirl. There's tons of BL lingo here that's pretty damn funny and had me chuckling continuously. Plus art by BL mangaka = win win.
Melcouettes
Je vais lire le tome suivant pour me faire une meilleure idée. Pour l'instant ça se lit mais ce n'est pas extraordinaire et parfois trop facile!
Meerit
Apr 22, 2013 Meerit rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I was amused by this but that's really it, nothing else to be had from this but light entertainment.
Jasmiina F
Aug 13, 2013 Jasmiina F rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I liked the art, but the relationship between the main characters was just too creepy for me. I thought this would be a cute and romantic type of manga but to me this was just weird and creepy.
Dani
Aug 23, 2016 Dani rated it it was amazing
I didn't know someone has been following me around and taking notes on me... This series is great and hilarious. I am seriously the girlfriend, it's creepy.
Danielle
Sep 01, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I was actually pretty amused. I would like to read the blog novelization also (which was previewed at the end).
Kerry
Oct 20, 2010 Kerry rated it did not like it
I had hoped for this one. It looked like it had the potential to be rather funny, but it was just plain boring.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Rin-Ne, Vol. 5 (Rin-Ne, #5)
  • Otomen, Vol. 10 (Otomen, #10)
  • Translucent, Volume 1
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 5
  • Emma, Vol. 04
  • Pig Bride, Vol. 01
  • Girls with Slingshots, Vol. 5
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 2
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 9 (Library Wars: Love & War, #9)
  • Bride of the Water God, Volume 2
  • ヒカルの碁 17、なつかしい笑顔
  • Inubaka: Crazy For Dogs, Volume 3
  • I Hate You More Than Anyone Vol. 1 (I Hate You More Than Anyone, #1)
  • Heaven!!, Volume 1

My Girlfriend's a Geek (5 books)
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 2
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Vol. 3
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Vol. 4 (My Girlfriend's a Geek (manga))
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Vol. 5 (My Girlfriend's a Geek (manga))