Start by marking “Envy” as Want to Read:
Envy

Envy

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  12,278 Ratings  ·  939 Reviews
Living on a remote island under an assumed name, novelist Parker Evans guards his secrets well. Fascinated by this reclusive genius, publisher Maris Matherly-Reed decides to pursue him. But this new project threatens an old commitment, a commitment at the very center of her life. Envy has all the ingredients of a Sandra Brown beach read bestseller.
Published August 29th 2002 by Piatkus Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Envy, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Envy by Sandra BrownLethal by Sandra BrownChill Factor by Sandra BrownRainwater by Sandra BrownThe Alibi by Sandra Brown
Favorite Sandra Brown Novels
1st out of 30 books — 197 voters
Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
56th out of 1,477 books — 1,983 voters

More lists with this book...

♥Sharon♥
Oct 10, 2014 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
 photo envycollage_zpsd7c9cd03.jpg

Envy was such a remarkable book. I have not read any other books by Sandra Brown so of course I didn't know what to expect. I read two amazing reviews and decided to give it a go.

When I started reading Envy, I could not put it down. It was that kind of book that I read every free moment I had. Finishing each chapter craving the next. I loved EVERYTHING about it. The characters, the location, the mystery.

photo 7b27959564a0f7c8c2208790694fba7b_zps519c0971.jpg

For me, what made it so great was the depth of the characters and the mystery. It was also
Mo
Sep 19, 2014 Mo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

There are plenty of twists and turns and some of them may be a bit predictable but they kept me on my toes.

I really don’t want to say too much about the plot. You are better off just diving into the book.

“It takes fa
Brandi
Apr 28, 2016 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously slacking in the review department. No mojo. I liked this one, though. It had a nice combination of suspense and romance.
Ingela
Written March 15, 2015

4.7 Stars - Top quality crime novel with a nice romance touch. Add a superb narrator making it so very exciting

At last was it time for a Sandra Brown book. My friends Karen and Mo's so beloved suspense / crime writer. I crossed my fingers for a great start to a new author with has a high pile of beloved books to choose from.
 photo image.jpg2_zpsppczicja.jpg

High Five! ~ For a new book-life with Sandra Brown
This was a great novel, with a thrilling good crime plot and a sweet romance part. I loved it all a
Envy is a standalone, thriller/mystery novel written by author Sandra Brown. I just discovered Ms. Brown in 2014 and obviously haven't read all of her novels yet, but based on what I have read I had already come to my own conclusion that her recent novels are bounds better than anything she has written in the past.

description
Yeah...I was wrong. Not that her new stuff isn't good! OMG, Mean Streak and Friction are freakin' amazing! But Envy is just as good, and fortunately for me, my premature conclusion has
Tammy
Dec 30, 2008 Tammy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of intense mysteries
Recommended to Tammy by: Terhan
Shelves: suspense, 2008-reads
Who knew Sandra Brown could write sexy and scary so well together?

My neighbor did, I suppose. She has been pushing this book off on me for the past year and I finally gave in and read it over the holiday. So glad I did!

New York publisher, Maris "Matherly" Reed, receives an intriguing manuscript regarding two college kids and an unsolved murder from someone identified only as P.M.E. She feels compelled to meet the anonymous author, so she travels to a remote Georgia island and begins snooping ar
Karen
Sep 29, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS
 photo e7c1ce316616ebc7250e7081fd750b28.jpg

This book was SENSATIONAL!
In fact I don’t even know where to begin with this review. It is definitely the type of book that you should go into blind. Don’t read any descriptions or possible spoilers… just read the book. I will not describe the story here… it is unnecessary to do so. You are much better off in your own head with this, trust me.

What I will say is that it totally caught me off-guard. This was the first book I’ve read by Sandra Brown, and it will definitely NOT BE THE LAST.
♥Rachel♥
To all outward appearances Maris Matherly-Reed leads a charmed life and has everything. Books have been her passion every since she can remember, and she’s the sole heir to the well respected Matherly Publishing. She’s totally immersed in the literary world and has a lot of power. Maris also snagged publishing’s most eligible bachelor, Noah Reed, the author of her favorite book. She was halfway in love with him even before laying eyes on him just because of his words. But seeing how gorgeous and ...more
Didi
Dec 02, 2014 Didi rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite SB yet! Filled with mystery, intrigue, incredible suspense, unfathomable events and a heavy dose of sensual romance, I loved it. SB has a way of building things up, revealing little by little...making you think one thing while suspicious of another. And she does this all seamlessly and brilliantly. My mind is always working overtime when I read her work so it's no surprise I figured things out early on. It's not my keen mind but the knowledge that anything she writes has to b ...more
Glass
This summer I started to read suspense/thriller novels and they became my new obsession. Yes, there are cliches even here, but nothing that I can't get over. I thought that there would be no one better than Linda Howard. And then I started to read Sandra Brown.

Five reasons why you should read Envy:

1. Story that will keep your attention until the very end. It just pulls you in from the page one and doesn't let you go. I couldn't do anything else but read because I had to know what happens next.
Elizabeth
Feb 26, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
“Envy. That’s what this is all about. Envy."

description

Sandra Brown is one of those authors that I have been wanting to check out for a long time. I see rave reviews of her work on my friends updates and walls. Her books have been sitting on my TBR shelf forever! I simply cannot rave enough about my first Sandra Brown read! Envy has suspense, a well developed plot, intriguing characters, greed, romance, and of course envy!

description

Maris is a smart and savvy business woman. She is passionate about her job as an edi
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
5 stars

What a brilliant book! Sandra Brown is a fantastic author!
I've read 2 books only by her so far, including this one and both turn up to be 5 stars reads.
Even though I did guess very early on what was going on in this one, she kept me on my toes and made me second guess and re-think EVERYTHING. this author.
Suzanne
5 SPELLBINDING STARS

Why I waited so long to read Sandra Brown is beyond me? I’ve read two great reviews on this novel (thankfully they gave nothing away) and a few reviews on some of her other books and all of them were 5 star raves. So, SB had been hovering at the top of my TBR list for a while…Wow, this was an EXHLARATING read!

photo EnvySB_zps255e1508.jpg

I love going in blind on a book and this one was no exception! Ms. Brown is a brilliant writer. I could hear the cicadas and feel the thick, humid air clinging to my
Jamie
Jun 06, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story by Sandra Brown. A near-perfect blend of romance, mystery and even suspense. The book has three focused characters. Maris, daughter of the CEO of a publishing company and editor. She is sent a prologue to a story that immediately captivates her. After some searching, she comes across the writer. The author is Parker, a bitter recluse. due to a horrid incident in his past, he was left in a wheelchair. The other main character is Noah, Maris' husband. Noah has a darker agenda to sell ...more
BJ Rose
OK, this really deserves 3.5*, but I just couldn't give it 4* for two reasons:
1. Maris fell in love with Noah because she loved his book so much - I know that reason can go out the window when emotions walk in the door, but really?!!
2. Maris again - she came to Parker's bed while still claiming to love her husband, and then was upset with him for 'using' her and pushing her out the door (which he did).

Envy is a good read; a well-told story with some predictable plotlines but also some surprising
Carrie
Reviewed for Audiogals.net

Narrated by Viktor Slezak

Envy came to my attention over a year ago, but I kept putting it off because I feared it wouldn’t have enough relationship development. For decades I’d read straight mystery and suspense, and while I still love suspense, I now want books with a strong romantic element. Surely, I thought, Sandra Brown is too mainstream for my current tastes. How wrong I was, and how glad I am that I finally gave into the curiosity and bought the audiobook. If I'd
Ya~
Jun 06, 2015 Ya~ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sandra-brown
Suspense? Nonexistent.

Mystery? The key part in Envy is mystery. But the mystery is mostly not mysterious to me:/

Plot? The information that is required to power up the plot lack substances.

Characters? The bad guy is delusional and at times, laughable, and Maris frustrates the heck out of me. All main characters are 2-dimensional.

Romance? Weird. I have to say that Maris fell in love with the book character, not the hero:/

Dialogue? Good for the most part.

Pace? Slow in some chapters.

That said, her
Joyzi
I am one of the luckiest Goodreaders who actually won a copy of this book via the Goodreads Firstreads Giveaways. When I received the news I was really happy, happy because I think this was the very first time I actually won something through luck.

I actually have no idea who the author was and what was the book was all about because I just randomly enter any books that are listed in the Giveaway list. So I'm like Sandra Brown Who? Nevertheless someone commented that Sandra Brown was a good autho
D.G.
**4.5 stars**

This is a terrific romantic suspense book with one of the most despicable villains I've ever had the misfortune to find in fiction. There were tons of good twists and at times I was truly afraid that the villain would get away with murder but just when you thought everybody was well and truly f*cked, something would happen that would put the villain in his place.

I won't go into detail about the plot or characters because for the first couple of chapters the reader doesn't know who'
Sarah Sammis
Jul 07, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: released
Envy is the third novel by Sandra Brown I've read and she's rapidly earning her way onto my list of "go-to" authors. Her novels always manage to surprise once or twice and certainly entertain from cover to cover.

Envy is the title of the book within the book and it's the lure that brings Maris Matherly-Reed to a remote Georgian island to purchase the rights to a novel. What she doesn't realize is that she's been lured into an elaborate scheme of revenge long buried in the past.

There are excerpts
Anne OK
May 16, 2010 Anne OK rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-reads
Reread in May, 2010. Still think it's one of Sandra Brown's best books ever. A deep and dark storyline with great character development and a plot that keeps on going. I'm so glad I decided to pick this book up again 10 years from the original read because my reading habits have changed so much and I've developed more of an eye for details and clues. Such a surprise and a delightful day of reading.
Yomi Milanesa
Aug 24, 2015 Yomi Milanesa rated it really liked it
Rating Clarification: 3.5 stars

Considering the great reviews this book I had higher expectations. It was simply okay and I didn't really connect all that much with the main characters.
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
10/13 - just relistened to this, my fave romantic suspense. I enjoyed it just as much, if not more, than the first two times.

Unabridged audiobook version - my review from AAR's Speaking of Audiobooks column:
Narrated by Victor Slezak
Envy is part of my Unofficial 2010 Listening Challenge. I haven’t been a fan of romantic suspense in the past and Envy changed that – completely. Sandra Brown has to be one of the more refined voices for sophisticated suspense combined with romance. I wasn’t bored for
CrazyPenguinLady
Oct 04, 2012 CrazyPenguinLady rated it it was amazing
One of the best Sandra Brown books I have ever read.
-There were no parts where the heroine's friends go on and on about how jealous they are of her physical perfection. THANK YOU.
-The hero acted like an asshole several times -typical of Sandra Brown heroes- but it was acknowledged, instead of just forgiven without a thought.
-There was a lot more suspense than in a usual SB book. That was nice; the thriller aspect of it. I find I enjoy SB books with the element of suspense much more than the pure
Amanda
I remember reading this sometime ago, the mystery really drew me in. I would say this is one of the romantic suspense with the strongest plot I ever read. From the start, we are wondering what is Parker's motivation, why is he handicap and what is the connection between the current events and the story of Envy.

Parker is a recluse living in an island and he is also novelist who happen to send in the initially chapter of his novel titled 'Envy' to Maris' publishing company. Maris is the owner of t
Anna
Jan 01, 2014 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that with a plot like Envy's, there's a big emphasis on writerly things, and nearly all of the characters are involved in the industry at some point, either from the writing or the publishing aspect. Ironically, the criticism given to one of her writing characters pretty much sums up the book: lively dialogue, but the plot needs work. The plot needs a lot of work, because I don't have enough suspension of disbelief to buy the story past the first fifty pag ...more
Darynda Jones
Jul 03, 2011 Darynda Jones rated it it was amazing
Just started the audiobook on a trip and was so mesmerized, I didn't want the trip to end.

UPDATE:

WOW!!!! I have to say, I loved this book! Just wow. Way to go Ms. Brown!
~D~
Maldivianbookreviewer
This is the 2nd book that I have chosen to read because fellow book reviewer Brie seemed to recommend the book so highly. And I have got to believe the girl and take her recommendations to heart because for the world of me, I couldn’t seem to put down this book once I started to read. Envy makes for such a compelling read that I resented every single minute I had to be away from the story that unfolded, bringing home the fact that when it comes to thrillers of the romantic suspense variety, ther ...more
Melissa
Dec 23, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Mei
Dec 17, 2014 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
What to say? I love how this woman writed!!!

Her stories are complicated and even when you get where they're going you just enjoy the rise! :)

So it's needless to say that I love this sorty too! :)

The idead of a writer telling a story is brilliant and I loved the parts where his story is told! And, obviously I loved how everything came together at the end!

A wonderful romantic suspense that all readers who enjoy the genre should read!
  • Darkling I Listen
  • The Seduction of Samantha Kincade (Dangerous Men, #1)
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
  • Edge of Survival
  • Wild Encounter
  • Run from Fear (Dead Wrong, #3)
  • Hot Shot
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Cullen's Bride

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), & TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over
More about Sandra Brown...

“It takes far less courage to cling to the past than it does to face the future".” 171 likes
“[Parker] ”We know why I kissed you last night, Maris.”
“To frighten me off.”
He frowned. “That doesn’t even merit an argument. I kissed you because you braved Terry’s and showed up everybody in the place, including me. I kissed you because just looking at you made me ache. I kissed you because I’m a rotten son of a bitch and your mouth looked so goddamn kissable. Simply put, I kissed you because I wanted to. It’s something I admit and you damn well know. But there is one question that’s driving me fucking crazy.”
His eyes focused harder on hers and, by doing so, penetrated. “Why did you kiss me back?”
14 likes