Start by marking “One Fearful Yellow Eye (Travis McGee #8)” as Want to Read:
One Fearful Yellow Eye (Travis McGee #8)

One Fearful Yellow Eye (Travis McGee #8)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,106 ratings  ·  54 reviews
"To diggers a thousand yeasrs from now...the works of John D. MacDonald would be a treasure on the order of the tomb of Tutankhamen."

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

How to you extort $600,000 from a dying man? Someone had done it very quietly and skilfully to the husband of Travis McGee's ex-girlfriend. McGee flies to Chicago to help untangle the mess and discovers that although Dr. For
Audio Cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published April 12th 1999 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about One Fearful Yellow Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Fearful Yellow Eye

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
419th out of 4,577 books — 10,465 voters
Stormy Weather by Carl HiaasenTourist Season by Carl HiaasenThe Deep Blue Good-By by John D. MacDonaldBasket Case by Carl HiaasenThe Designated Survivor by J.C. Gatlin
Florida Mystery/Thrillers
33rd out of 120 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Kemper
It’d been twenty-some years since I’d read the Travis McGee books, and when I heard that a movie version of The Deep Blue Good-Bye was in the works, I’d started picking up copies in used bookstores to give the series another read. I’ve had moments where I’ve started to regret that decision.

While I had fond memories of MacDonald’s tales of the Florida beach bum who makes his living recovering funds that were stolen by semi-legal means or conned from the victims, re-reading these early books from
Ed
Jul 23, 2013 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Travis McGee series
Recommended to Ed by: A fan since I was a kid.
Marvelous Travis McGee, modern knight errant, here. Trav flies north to Chicago to help out an old friend who turns out to be a rich widow. The only trouble is nobody knows where all of her late husband's dough has gone. The brutal Chicago winter doesn't appeal to McGee, but he doesn't slow down to get to the bottom of things. This title reminds me why I like the series. Lee Child offers an insightful introduction to this reissue.
JoAnna Spring
Meh. A fine book, but not spectacular. Trav goes to Chicago to help a friend whose rich, older husband died and apparently had been blackmailed out of all funds. Nefariousness and intrigue occur with lots of beautiful social commentary that always feels current despite being written over 40 years ago.

I miss the biting banter when Trav is working with/for women who are friends. Because he likes these women, they are usually implausibly perfect and bland. Give me a flawed, self-absorbed, psycho bi
James Thane
The eighth installment of the Travis McGee series takes place in Chicago rather than in Florida, and thus most of the usual cast, save for McGee himself, is MIA. It is not a book that would have endeared MacDonald to the Chicago Chamber of Commerce. The author was obviously not very fond of the Chicago, and through McGee makes some fairly cutting comments about the Windy City and its inhabitants.

For those unfamiliar with the series, McGee is a self-styled "salvage" expert. If someone is defraude
Harv Griffin
pic of ONE FEARFUL YELLOW EYE on my shelf

At the moment, due to Amanda’s excellently written complete trashing of Travis McGee in her ★ review of MacDonald’s DARKER THAN AMBER (she may have even called it Book Rape, I forget), a cautionary note to potential female readers may be appropriate.

ONE FEARFUL YELLOW EYE is Copyright 1966. Travis McGee’s views on women are anchored in the Sixties. Travis easily makes my Top Ten List of favorite literary characters, but savvy 2012 women are going to have “
Mackenzie Brown
A book I loved better the second time of reading.
Bronzed beach bum McGee, turns up in snowy Chicago in December to help a widowed friend who tells him somebody has stolen her dead husband's fortune.
This book has one of the finest plots in the series and leaves you guessing until the very end. I also must admit that the poignant ending fired up my emotions as only truly great writing can. John D MacDonald was a master at work and the Travis McGee series is a timeless reminder of a man at the heig
Bill Williams
This time around, Travis McGee is on the trail of the lost fortune of a recently deceased Chicago doctor. McGee knows the young wife of the older doctor and the angry family has the long knives out for his beach buddy.

The novel is full of charming character bits and great storytelling as McGee tries to pick up a long dead trail. It's short on action, but long on story and craft.

One unfortunate tic of the series is on full display in One Fearful Yellow Eye. McGee meets broken people as he walks
Jim
MacDonald always delivers great characters and good plots plus language always seems real with overtones about life in modern times
DR
There are not enough pejorative words and disparaging metaphors in the English language to adequately express the loathing of our sun-bronzed Florida “salvage consultant” for winter in Chicago, where ONE FEARFUL YELLOW EYE finds him.

In his eighth adventure, McGee hops onto his spavined destrier and rides to the rescue of another of his one-time “broken birds,” Glory Doyle Geis, who now is the widow of a prominent and wealthy neurosurgeon, Dr. Fortner Geis. The doctor has left an awful mess in hi
Jim
When I was thinking about tackling the Travis McGee series, I consulted my mom on this. She was a major mystery reader. (MMR) To qualify for this designation start with all of Agatha Christie (88 books) and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (4 novels 200+ stories).

She was woman of few words and her respond was pursed lips and a few knowing nods. This expression had only been observed for Les Miserables and Donizetti's "Lucia di Lammermoor" (best opera of all time).

So, Travis McGee is was. I have to say I h
Jenna
Travis McGee, part rebel, and a part philosopher........a ruggedly sexy Floridian boat bum with a special talent for helping friends in trouble or get a revenge on their death.

This time McGee was called from an ex-girlfriend Gloria Geis in Chicago who married a Dr. Fortner Geis about the disapperance of six hundred thousand dollars, and has become a mystery after the Dr. died. So, Travis McGee flies to Chicago to untangle the mystification of how and who extorted the $600.000 from a dying man. I
David Wrubel
JD McDonald's Travis McGee books were my first experiences with the private detective / happy maverick moral loner / mystery genre, and after decades of reading others, Travis McGee remains my favorite. Stone Barrington in Stuart Woods' novels is OK but formulaic; Robert Crais' Elvis Cole is a close second to McGee, but Crais' Joe Pike character, while darker, has more potential for development. Plus, Travis McGee is just very cool!

But I digress. John D. McDonald was the master, and Travis McGee
Nancy Moore
I've read all of this series and loved every one. I read them in order - I always read a series in order, in fact, I'm compulsive about it - because I like to follow the character's life and the author's writing as they both grow. Mr. MacDonald never disappointed - each one is a great thrill ride and they got better each time. Read my review on "The Deep Blue Good-by" to meet Travis, and get ready for some great reading!
Shuriu
She was a very affectionate woman, needing and giving the casual touches and pats which to her were as necessary a part of communication as words. (p. 13)

He told me that [Hans] Hoffman had such an almost childlike quality of enthusiasm, that youthfulness that comes from being eternally inquisitive. (p. 13)

In such a situation there could be almost a compulsion to find a guilt-feeling. When the beloved is dying, we want to be blamed and punished. Without that there seems to be nothing left but an
Victoria
(narrated by Robert Petkoff). I didn’t remember reading any of the legendary Travis McGee novels, and bought this one on sale. Published in 1966 it was a real walk back through time. And not a very pleasant one. The women characters were treated like bimbos or diabolical schemers. At least MacDonald (through first-person narrator McGee) acknowledged that the idea of a manly man, like McGee, using his lovemaking expertise to thaw the Ice Maiden, was a bit of a ridiculous cliche, but then, he used ...more
Danielle
This book began my obsessions with John D. MacDonald and Travis McGee!
Rob Welch
One of the best ones of the series.
Martha
LOVE Travis Magee
JoAnne
Travis gets a call from a former girlfriend, Glory. She lives in Chicago now. Her husband Fort has died. He was a wealthy doctor but all of the money has vanished. The Feds and Fort's grown children think she has is hidden away which she does not. She is followed everywhere she goes. Glory is going to have sell the house Fort had built especially for them. She cannot pay for it anymore. Glory needs Travis to come and help her find out what happened to the money. He does and he digs through Fort' ...more
Dennis D.
This is the eighth book in John D. MacDonald's continuing adventures of Travis McGee. Here McGee heads north to Chicago to help Glory Geis, an old flame whose neurosurgeon-husband has died and left her in a bad spot. It seems the doctor somehow managed to squirrel away most of what should have been a substantial estate to points or persons unknown, and Glory seems like The Person Most Likely To have embezzled away whatever portions of the estate she may have had to share with his adult children ...more
Tim
One of the more confusing McGee plots (too many twists, no single damsel in distress, but three of them, plus ex-Nazis and Nazi hunters), but some terrific writing and thinking:

On Chicago (where the foreground action occurs): "The day was like a dirty galvanized bucket clapped worn over the city. All the trees looked dead, and all the people looked like mourners. Happy Christmas. Bingle jells. Brace yourself for hate week."

On mass media: "...I went northward, locked into the traffic flow, listen
Jim
This is something of a departure for Travis McGee. It (almost) all takes place in Chicago, where McGee tries to puzzle out who has drained his friend Gloria Doyle's inheritance from her late husband, a marriage of only a few years, as she knew he was ill when she married him. There is hardly any "action" until the very end. Instead, it's McGee keeping track of a couple dozen characters and trying to piece together how this particular scam worked.
We see McGee evolving somewhat on homosexuality.
Fuzzy Gerdes
I'm something of a completeist when it comes to book series. So it was a bit of surprise to discover that there was a Travis McGee detective novel that I hadn't read. And not a late addition to the series or anything: #8 of 21 novels. In retrospect, the mental checkbox for "read all of the McGee books" probably should be listed under "read all of the McGee books available at the Howard County Public Library in the early '80s."

So how does One Fearful Yellow Eye hold up to my early teen memories?
Paul
The Travis McGee series gets better the more one reads of it and the more one learns of the author's background.
McDonald has a brilliant way with descriptions. Sometimes I wonder if these are suspense novels or philosophy books, but they are clearly both.
Fun and quick to read, they are entertaining but also thought provoking.
Grant
Oct 28, 2014 Grant is currently reading it
I am on page 29 and so far Travis Mcgee has traveled to Chicago to meet his friend Gloria. They enjoy drinks and recall old stories as she tells him how her recently deceased husband made $600,000 disappear. Travis has just taken the case and is consulting Gloria's financial manager.
David Allen
The plot is slightly outlandish (echoes of Nightmare in Pink), but this is one of the better McGees, with an affecting romance. As usual there are plenty of asides, as McGee comments on such subjects as modern art, credit cards, the Playboy philosophy and Chicago. He's against them all.
Stoltman
MacDonald is a good writer. His stories and suspense scenes are always very well done. Any problems I have with his work involve the character, Travis McGee.
This book had way to much of McGee's philosophizing. Pretty much every time McGee meets someone, we get several paragraphs (or more) of McGee's analysis of what type of person this is. Basically McGee telling us what's wrong with the person. If it's a woman, McGee knows exactly how to fix them. This gets boring and annoying.
I plan to event
Denniger Bolton
I love Travis McGee books, and I've read each and every one of them way back when - when I first found this kind of novel. It's a mystery, it's action/adventure, it's suspense and it's thriller. The hero is a big tough guy who who I believe, I may be wrong but I think Travis is where Lee Child, author of Jack Reacher novels, got the idea for his character.

I find it interesting that Lee Child is helping to put these fine books back in the hands of readers. I plan to re-read them all on my Kindle
Jeffrey
One of may favorites in this series. McGee travels to Chicago and in the winter. Fascinating to hear him complain of the cold and of the pollution in Lake Michigan and the Chicago River. A reminder of how it was in the late 60's.

Also love the Buffalo NY reference and the references to characters from previous stories (Chookie and Arthur Wilkinson!)

Nice twist at the end and some good detective work along the way.

Enjoy rereading these classics and especially in the old paperback editions. My copy
Alaine
This is my Seventh Travis McGee novel (my library doesn't have "Bright Orange For The Shroud.") These novels are dark, somewhat sad and very entertaining. Mr. MacDonald certainly has a way with words. He can be a little verbose in his descriptions, at times. But, I feel you have to take the good with the bad (only very slightly!) I intend to read every last McGee novel I can get my hands on. If you like the mystery genre, I definitely recommend these. Although I am trying to read the novels in o ...more
  • Pale Kings And Princes (Spenser, #14)
  • The Zebra-Striped Hearse
  • Captiva
  • Out on the Cutting Edge (Matthew Scudder, #7)
  • Trouble in Triplicate (Nero Wolfe, #14)
  • The Big Sleep; Farewell, My Lovely; The High Window
  • South Of Heaven
John D. MacDonald was born in Sharon, Pa, and educated at the Universities of Pennsylvania, Syracuse and Harvard, where he took an MBA in 1939. During WW2, he rose to the rank of Colonel, and while serving in the Army and in the Far East, sent a short story to his wife for sale, successfully. After the war, he decided to try writing for a year, to see if he could make a living. Over 500 short stor ...more
More about John D. MacDonald...

Travis McGee (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Deep Blue Good-By (Travis McGee #1)
  • Nightmare in Pink (Travis McGee, #2)
  • A Purple Place for Dying (Travis McGee #3)
  • The Quick Red Fox (Travis McGee #4)
  • A Deadly Shade of Gold (Travis McGee #5)
  • Bright Orange for the Shroud (Travis McGee #6)
  • Darker Than Amber (Travis McGee #7)
  • Pale Gray for Guilt (Travis McGee #9)
  • The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper (Travis McGee #10)
  • Dress Her in Indigo (Travis McGee #11)
Cape Fear The Deep Blue Good-By (Travis McGee #1) A Deadly Shade of Gold (Travis McGee #5) Nightmare in Pink (Travis McGee, #2) Free Fall in Crimson (Travis McGee #19)