Start by marking “The Day Trader” as Want to Read:
The Day Trader

The Day Trader

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  602 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Some people risk everything once in their lives.
Day traders do it every time they go to work.

The exhilarating and addictive world of point-and-click stock market trading takes on a lethal new dimension in this riveting thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Insider and Trust Fund.

Augustus McKnight wants a better life than the one he’s got: toiling as a
ebook
Published March 26th 2002 by Ballantine Books (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Trader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Trader

Alex
The Day Trader (Pub. 2002) is one of the best books I've read in the past six months--it definitely makes my top three. This is Stephen Frey's seventh novel, and from checking out his website he's written a total of nineteen published novels to-date. I really loved this story (my first read of this author's works)--for several reasons, and will be checking out his other books ASAP!

Day Trader is a combination finance thriller/who-done-it. I have to admit that it's been a while since I've read a f
Abdul
I would describe this book somewhat like a Chinese dinner. Immediately after reading it you are hungry again.

What makes books like these usually good is that they are reasonably believable. Alas the author in this instance missed the mark by a bit. He does a good job of explaining the life of a day trader but in the end the story falls short with some unbelievable twists and turns.

If you are looking for a mindless light read then you might have found the right book. If not I would recommend so
Mohab Hariry
that was a hell of a ride reading this book .. I am really glad to find out about this author stephen frey ... the style with which the book is written is literary the smoothest and the most enjoyable of the english novels I ve read before
the wallstreet trading environment gives u a fake impression that it wil be a hard book to understand but on the contrary it was very easy and even the small technical info about trading was vlearly and beautifully explained
I strongly recommend this book to any
Samantha
I have to say I like most of Stephen Frey's books. I enjoy the financial aspects of them and they are usually about Wall Stret. This one isn't. It more of a murder mystery. First of all, I must say I knew nothing about day trading and have no idea if that part of the book is realistic. However, I did find it fascinating with the research and the big win of it all. I thought the financials were easy to follow and explained well enough to continue with the story. I thought the book was hard to put ...more
Ruth Ann
Fast-paced financial (sort-of) thriller. Not much financial stuff gets done, though....

(view spoiler)
Brett Wallach
The first half of this book was great, full of paranoid fun, like "The Firm" with stock traders instead of lawyers. The second half was about the worst second half of a book I've ever read, just inane.
Lee
Augustus McKnight seems to be on the right track making a huge score trading an IPO online. Unfortunately he comes home and finds out his wife is having an affair and wants to leave him. The next day she ends up dead and he comes into a windfall as a result of her life insurance policy. He then decides to become a full time day trader. Dogged by a cop and a insurance investigator who are looking to see if he killed his wife he finds out some things he didn’t want to know about his wife while str ...more
Charlene Gordon
Good book. Read this in 2003.
Lynn Townsend
I didn't actually dislike this book; it kept me turning pages at a rapid pace - started it while doing the laundry around 9am and finished it (with a 3 hour interruption in the middle) around 5pm. And yet, I'm not really sure that it was very good, either.

The whole thing is written in present tense which made it read somewhat like a meadehall script, which was familiar, and yet somewhat unnerving in a novel. Also, I found the characters to be unplausable and coincidence way overused.
Tracy  Burd
I picked this book up at a thrift shop, liked the title and started it almost immediately. It takes place in Northern Virginia, which I am very familiar with. It is centered around day trading, who couldn't love that! It was a fast read, but I am not sure I like the author's style. There didn't seem to be enough explanation for things happening. It did have a good suspenseful ending. I will try another of his books at some point.
Dave
This is a unrealistic story of a guy who, because his wife gets murdered, quits his job to become a day trader. He lies to the cops, hide things from the cops, takes matters into his own hands (to his own folly), yet he is never considered a suspect. Unbelieveable character traits leave the reader screaming "what the hell is going on". Decent story, but pretty far fetched.
Mike
I read this immediately after reading Frey's "The Insider," and while I gave them both the same number of stars, "The Day Trader" is much better. It's less predictable and faster-paced.

Frey is a master of making you like his protagonist and wondering which supporting character is bad. Great story.
Anmurray24
The story began well but I grew to dislike the character. For Some one who is supposed to be so smart the hero sure was being fooled by a lot people. The ending wasn't very believable either. Almost as if the writer couldn't wait to wrap up the story.
Jennifer H
I say 2.5 stars. It was a ridiculous story - but clearly a story gauged towards guys since it involved money, fast cars, an ex-NFL player, strippers, and women throwing themselves at the main character. ;) It's an easy read, a good beach book.
Kim
Stephen Frey is the John Grisham of the financial world. This book is a great thriller involving bankers, day traders the stock market and a little death and mayhem thrown in for good measure. Check out all of Frey's books.
Andrew
I liked this one. Probably my favorite Frey book. I can't help but think that the whole Grisham lawyer thing got him going. He's to the financial/investment banking world, what Grisham is to the legal world. Fun read.
Stephanie
Nov 10, 2007 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for an easy read
I read this while I was sick. It is a light quick read. There are a few interesting twists and turns, but I felt the book was lacking something. If you are looking for an easy airplane read this is a good one.
ErinBeth
Somewhat disappointed with this book, mostly because I didn't like any of the characters very much. However, I was very surprised by the ending, it was not what I had expected, which is always a good thing.
Favi
At first I kind of just felt bad for the Augustus. Works in paper sales, horrible boss, disinterested wife....but in the middle of the book, his actions made me upset. But he redeemed himself at the end.
Sandy
stock market/trading was interesting; sleazy stuff not so much. shocking that the main character's best friend and wife had so much going on in their lives that he didn't even know about
Alicia
This book was ridiculous. It had a similar feel to a Dan Brown or John Grisham, but the characters were so frustrating. The writing was boring and the plot was unbelievable.
Terri Mandel
this is my 2nd novel by Frey - Silent Partner is so far my favorite. I was just introduced to this author. This kept me wanting to read more.
J
My husband picked up this book mainly because of the title. We both enjoyed it so much that we have now read all of his books.
Minesweeper
The book started well but tapered off near the end. The last quarter of the book, especially, dragged.
Miescha
It kept me interested, twists and turns, had a good climax. I love books w/ new (to me) information!
Dennis
great book, well written

gritty story, kept me uncomfortable till very end

Chris
This work of fiction was more then amazing. I loved it :)
Saad
Its a fun mystery story. But nothing to do with Trading.
Kathy
An easy summer read.
  • The First Billion
  • The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)
  • At All Costs
  • Drugs, Oil & War: The United States in Afghanistan, Colombia & Indochina
  • The Savage Gorge (Tweed & Co. #24)
  • Death on the Cape and Other Stories
  • Phoenix Noir
  • The Case of the Fenced-in Woman
  • Perfect Spy: The Incredible Double Life of Pham Xuan An, Time Magazine Reporter and Vietnamese Communist Agent
  • Never Send Flowers (John Gardner's Bond, #13)
  • Vertical Run
  • Murphy's Law
  • Spymaster: My Thirty-two Years in Intelligence and Espionage Against the West
For the last 15 years I’ve been lucky enough to be a novelist. Until recently the books were set in the worlds of Wall Street and Washington. In addition to writing, I’ve also had a career in finance with specialties including merger & acquisition advisory and private equity at firms like J.P. Morgan in New York City and Winston Partners just outside D.C. in northern Virginia.

So, it seemed na
More about Stephen W. Frey...
The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1) The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2) The Vulture Fund The Power Broker (Christian Gillette, #3) The Fourth Order