Start by marking “Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)” as Want to Read:
Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)

Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  12,765 Ratings  ·  364 Reviews
Taylor is the name. John Taylor....My card says I'm a detective, but what I really am is an expert on finding things. It's part of the Gift I was born with as a child of the Nightside - the hidden heart of London where it's always three a.m., where inhuman creatures and otherworldly gods walk side-by-side in the endless darkness of the soul. Assignment: Locate the Unholy G ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Agents of Light and Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agents of Light and Darkness

Dan Schwent
Aug 21, 2009 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Taylor gets hired by a priest from the Vatican to find the Unholy Grail, the cup Judas drank from at the last supper. Standing in Taylor's way are all the other people looking for the Grail: Walker from the Authorities, angels from Above and Below, Nasty Jack, and others. With Suzie Shooter at his side, can Taylor find the Grail and walk out of this situation alive?

Agents of Light and Darkness is like a Ramones song. Short but, at the same time, the perfect length. Both the humor and horror
Justin
Oct 01, 2009 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
This is the second book in multi-volume series by Simon R. Green. The story once again follows the almost always abstruse John Taylor, the private detective who is really good at finding things. In the first book you learn John is a former Nightside badass who in his time away from the Nightside developed a conscious. He went back into the disturbing scene that is the Nightside to help someone in need. Agents of Light and Darkness follows a similar premise, except on a larger scale. This time it ...more
Steven
Maybe I'll get back to this one day, but it's sat in the first half of the book for almost two months and really wasn't interesting me at all. So I give up!
T.J.
Dec 16, 2012 T.J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series has promise as it is full of interesting ideas and settings, but the author seems dead set against examining them in depth. Ideas and settings that could fill an entire novel are explored in a matter of pages and dismissed. The world of the Nightside is presented as something extremely old and filled with interesting characters and story lines. Yet in book two, the size of the world already feels small as we are already re-visiting many of the same locales and characters from the fi ...more
Nancy Oakes
Jan 13, 2009 Nancy Oakes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
As I think I've mentioned somewhere before, I am the biggest sucker for pulp fiction. Simon R. Green's Nightside series take pulp fiction an extra step & meld it to the supernatural and the weird sci-fi realm. You may be a little lost if Agents of Light and Darkness is where you start in the series; I would definitely start with the first one "Something From the Nightside" and go through the books in order.

In this episode, our hero, John Taylor, is back in the Nightside again, and finds hims
Ken
Oct 04, 2012 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always amazed at any writer that can put together 200 pages worth of thoughts into a coherent, cohesive and interesting story line. I doubt very much that I have in me what it takes to put together anything that is a fraction as good as the lowest rated books that I have ever read.

That being said, it amazes me further when an author can take those few pages and the few words on those pages and weave not only a theme worth following, but an entire previously undefined world and in such intri
Robin
Jun 17, 2012 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: simon-r-green, 2012
Agents of Light and Darkness is the second book in Simon Green's Nightside series. Here's my review from Audible. It pretty much says it all.

"I just can't decide"

Parts of these stories are so well told it can bring a tear to your eye and part of it feels repetitive and part of it bugs me to no end. You'll have to find the good bits on your own. I'm not going to spoil it.

The repetitive, is the instance that anything out of this world is possible in the Nightside. That's fine, I got it the first
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
What lessons did I learn from this book? Angels are as scary as they are majestic. Whew. I really don't want the angel apocalypse hitting anywhere I live like it does in the Nightside. Also don't get in the way of an angel with a mission. You will not survive the encounter. In this case, the angels are after someone who has the Judas Cup, not the Holy Grail. Yeah, you can guess this cup is probably not going to be used for benevolent purposes.

The action is fierce, the horror is very evident, th
Nima Kohandani
3.5

خیلی بهتر از کتاب 1 بود. حداقل پایانش اونقدر تخیلی و چرت نبود

پایان منطقی تر و شگفت آورتری داشت

تخیل همچنان بی حد و حصر بود و هرجا گرین کم می آورد از تخیلات بی حد و حصر نایت ساید، بستری که برای این کار به وجود آورده، استفاده می کرد

استفاده از منطق ِ خودش در عین بی منطقی

نایت شاید مکان شگفت آوریه اما هنوز زیادی گنگ و مبهمه

این کتاب هم یه دور تند از اتفاقات پشت سر هم ردیف شده بود به نظر من. تند تند جلو رفت و اتفاقات مختلفی افتاد.

خوب بود. بیشتر از پایان جلد 1 مشتاق شدم به خوندن کتاب بعدیش

Jason
Sep 19, 2016 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
4 Stars

Agents of Light and Darkness by Simon R. Green is the second book in the Nightside series. This is a mix of a private eye story and an Urban fantasy that is just perfect for my interests today. I have been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately. Combine my new favorite genre with a detective noir like story and you have made me something special. I loved this book. I loved the writing of Green. I loved the world of Nightside. And I especially loved our main character (can't call him the g
Lea
Apr 09, 2014 Lea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, noir
The many shortcomings are made up for with pitch black gallows humor. Actually, is there a color darker than black? Because that would describe this parody of urban-fantasy-noir Perfectly.
Meikoyim
Feb 27, 2015 Meikoyim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Second book in the series. I thought I'd give its predecessor a go before being well and truly suck into the story. So much so that I finished two books in the space of three nights.

What can I say, I am a sucker for modern urban fantasies.

Though, yes, I liked it quite muchly. I did raid through two. But yes, only three stars. Yes, for both of them.

It's not the fault of the stories.

It's the fault of the depth they carry, which isn't a whole lot, and then the author is repetitive, the same senten
Kristy
Mar 08, 2012 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
The last chapter of this book is worthy of 5 stars, that's how amazing it is! I don't think I've ever seen a better representation of Jesus's character in a non-Christian book than right there in that chapter. No, the story is not Biblical and I know that, so please don't send me messages regaling me for thinking so. But at the same time, the last chapter contains what to me is exactly what Jesus's character, love, and forgiveness CAN do.

The second to last chapter was not so cool, and in fact I
Lori
Feb 20, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series, fiction
Green's Nightside is all the wonders and horrors of this world, and many others, available in one place, making shopping easy - if you can afford the price.

Told from the first-person perspective of John Taylor, a "refugee" of the Nightside recently returned from five years living in the mundane London Proper, this series offers a unique take on many ideas.

While it follows the noir trope of a private investigator down on his luck, who often takes cases for reasons other than cash, the book also
Solace Winter
Honestly, rating this book was hard. Three stars was the low end, four stars would have been the higher end. I went with three only because this book did seem a bit repetitive. It's short, and a quick read, so it should not be repetitive. Another issue with the novel is his search for his mother. It's like the author already had a huge plan for what would happen when Taylor found his mother but did not want to give the plot too soon. The third, and I swear the last, issue was that it was predict ...more
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
This book was even better than the first, a good part due to Marc the Narrator and because of Green giving us some dirty and fascinating secrets about some of the side characters, in this case I am referring to Suzy Shooter. There was also some excellent touches of history and religion, plus some good chuckle moments.

I highly anticipate reading book 3 (I thought I'd see how then non-audible version went in comparison).

4 stars.
AmirHosein
مشخصاً بهتر از جلد قبل..
هرچند نویسنده استعداد کمی در پرداختن به داستان های حاشیه ای و کوتاه در طول قصه داره.. همه ی اتفاقات تیتر وار می گذرن.. به امید بهتر شدن توی جلدای بعد!
Cupof Tea
This is the second book in a weird series about a fantastical place hidden from the world called the Nightside. Told in the style of a noir detective novel with a lot of dry humour, mixed with urban fantasy and horror elements, in this story John Taylor is tasked with finding the Unholy Grail before the angels of both Heaven and Hell can get their hands on it.

There were quite a few LOL one-liners, and his adventure includes a few famous folk like Marilyn Munroe and Merlin, and even takes them to
Donna
Jan 24, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You've heard about the Holy Grail, the chalice that Christ drank from during the Last Supper. What about Judas' chalice, the Unholy Grail, which is a cup that causes its owner to do evil? Never heard of it? Neither had John Taylor until he accepted the Pope's commission to locate it and get it out of Nightside before the Angels of Light and Darkness started a war over it.
As always, Green' sardonic wit and rapid action create a wonderful book that will make you laugh and will keep you sitting gl
Pritesh Patil
Mar 22, 2016 Pritesh Patil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The start of this book was on the slower side, and a quarter in, I found it to be quite repetitive and tedious, as if the characters were being needlessly puffed up by the author, especially when a lot of them didn't really live up to the mark. However, halfway in and the story not only becomes better, you finally start to see the pieces come together and are treated to many grand players of the game, something which most players usually build up for a long time before revealing. But then, the p ...more
Lissibith

Agents of Light and Darkness follows a gent in a paranormal underworld as he tries to find a particular item for a client - a specialty of his.

Of course, this item is the unholy grail, the cup of Judas, and there are angels and demons all trying to find the thing before him, so things are a little bit wild.

This book, the second in a series, is in a weird place and I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it. A lot of the time it was just fun, with the setpieces being action-packed and the
Kiwie
Apr 28, 2014 Kiwie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
As quick and easy as the first, but my two major annoyances from the first book (way too much repetition of little useless facts, and that I was always painfully aware that we were being introduced to the world and the next books and thus felt like the mystery it was centered around was just a sub-plot) have been majorly toned down. Yes, the descriptions and character introductions are still the same, and by now I really am aware that John doesn't carry a gun because he doesn't need one, you don ...more
Hannah
This second book in the Nightside series continues to develop the main characters while sending them on another adventure that could destroy the world: finding the Unholy Grail for the Vatican before the angels and devils get their hands on it. I enjoyed the noir writing and religious elements, but thought too much time was spent on the numerous side villains. There's a new baddie in almost every chapter! This is a quick, fun read that sticks the landing at the end, and I would read it again.
Chris
Jan 14, 2013 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really have anything to add as far as a review of this book. I liked it because of it's atmosphere and all around creepiness. Green has great skill in putting in that one detail that twists a scene or character into something very creepy. The only flaws I have with this book is the rather simple plot. (I had guessed who Jude was almost from the beginning,) but otherwise a fun and interesting book. I will continue with the series and hope his plots start to become more exciting.
Monica Perez
May 21, 2016 Monica Perez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahmad Sharabiani
Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2), 2003, Simon R. Green (1955)
عنوان: نایت ساید جلد دوم: کارگزاران نور و ظلمت؛ نویسنده: سیمون آر. گرین؛ مترجم: علی مصلح حیدرزاده؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، ویدا، چاپ نخست 1390، در 204 ص، اندازه 14 در 21 س.م، فروست: مجموعه نایت ساید، شابک جلد 2: 9789642912384؛ شابک دوره: 9789646807914؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 21 م
Sherri
Apr 12, 2016 Sherri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My reviews on this series are going to be incredibly repetitive, because they books themselves are pretty repetitive. Green apparently does a "cut and paste" when writing his character descriptions, though his series is not quite as bad as his "Hawk and Fisher" series in that department. That tendency automatically gets this book (and all others after it) lose a star just because I get bored reading the same first chapter every book.

Overall, this series is the ice cream of reading material. Ligh
D.K.
Apr 23, 2010 D.K. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun read, but I couldn't bring myself to give it four stars. If you're looking for a quick read to fill some downtime and looking for action and humor, Agents of Light and Darkness is the book you should read.

I will definitely continue with the series.
Kristin
Jan 13, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Just as enjoyable as Something from Nightside (Book 1), if not a bit more polished and filled out. Which is what I would expect as the author starts to flesh out and tidy up his world. As far as Nightside can be tidied up...

In Agents of Light and Darkness, John Taylor is hired by the Vatican to find the Unholy Grail before the Agents of Above and Below do and start the apocalypse early. The angels are not nice beings, and proceed to wreak havoc and chaos upon Nightside, killing anyone who might
Timothy Ferguson
The second book has a stronger, more coherent plot and better character development than the first, so that shows promise for better to come. The twist is so obvious as to be not a twist, and the payoff is simply inaccurate (let me, I hope not spoil it by (view spoiler). The series, so far, reminds me of the not-terribly-good burgers I sometimes get a craving for from the local greasy spoon. Not excellent, arguably not even very good: but there’s ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Agents of Light and Darkness by Simon R. Green 1 11 May 28, 2015 03:01PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Agents of Light and Darkness 1 2 Mar 30, 2012 12:45PM
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • Lifeblood (Vampire Files, #2)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (Monster Hunter International, #2)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)

“It's tucked away in a quiet corner, shadowed and obscured, no part of the Nightside's usual bright gaudy neon noir. It doesn't advertise and it doesn't care if you habitually pass by on the other side. It's just there for when you need it. Dedicated to the patron saint of lost causes, St. Jude's is an old old place... St. Jude's isn't a place for comfort for frills and fancies and the trappings of religion. just a place where you can talk to your god and sometimes get an answer.” 11 likes
“It's always thoughts of family that drive me crazy, and it's always my friends who bring me back.
Agents of Light and Darkness p.218