Dismiss Sorry, you must be a member of the group to do that.

A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough

A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From the moment we are born, we are seekers. Our culture obsessively promotes the pursuit of money, success and self-improvement. At the end of each activity-jammed day, though, we collapse into bed discouraged by everything we have not checked off on our to-do lists, in despair that whatever we have accomplished is never enough. Worse still, when our dreams become derail...more
Published April 13th 2010 by Harmony (first published 2010)

Pastrix by Nadia Bolz-WeberEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertTake This Bread by Sara  MilesThe Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk KiddListening for the Heartbeat of God by J. Philip Newell
Books for Spiritual Dissidents
12th out of 33 books — 31 voters
FROM BUDDHA TO JESUS by Steve CioccolantiHumility by C.J. MahaneyRadical by David PlattWhy Pro-Life? by Randy AlcornCity of God by Augustine of Hippo
Christian Engagement in Culture
54th out of 113 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Chestelle
I absolutely loved this book! Wish I could give a copy to every one I know. To get the full effect, it should be read slowly and thoughtfully because it is truly a conversation with the author -- someone I would love to count as a friend...
Anthony
This book is a great "pause button" for anyone with a hectic lifestyle (meaning all human beings). Everyone I'm positive feels overwhelmed by LIFE like I do often times, so this book was a nice reminder to step back, appreciate the small and good things of the world, and strive to live one moment at a time. I will say that he draws a lot from religious and spiritual texts and authorities, so if that's not your thing, a heads up to ya.
Julianne
I am generally leery of self-help books as the wisdom they dispense can come across as shallow and hokey, but I thought this book made some very valid points explained in a way that was neither shallow nor too cheesy (it was a little hippy-dippy, it is a self help book after all!).
Stephanie
Muller's latest release was the November selection for South Austin Spiritual Book Group. Our Book Group was kicked off in 2005 with Muller's book, "Sabbath", so we are full circle with this title.

I appreciated the contemporary editing with micro chapters and some content inserted from Wayne's friends and inspirational luminaries.

It is both a modern and ancient question to study the meaning of "enough" in our lives. It is a question I have pondered for perhaps forty years now. If you think about...more
Rachel
So, so good, for anyone who feels like there isn't enough time in the day...or there isn't enough self to go around.
Steven
Feb 07, 2014 Steven added it

a very gentle voice of wisdom in our harried world

recommended
Rebecca Waring-Crane
I started reading Muller's book last week. Savoring each chapter, I find the topic, approach and writing style exquisite and refreshing. I may just need to own a copy.
I finished reading, or rather savoring, Muller's work some time in spring. This book saved my life. 4.75 stars. Prose lovely but occasionally a bit awkward, otherwise 5 stars.
Emily Freeman
Jun 14, 2014 Emily Freeman marked it as abandoned
I only got about a quarter of the way in when it started to get a bit repetitive and rambling. Too many other great books to read! I passed this one on.
Elizabeth
A bit pedantic but overall personal, insightful, and persistent. We need to start by changing our definition of "enough" and Muller provides many many examples to do so. taking the long view (and not the path of immediate satisfaction or short term thinking) is a difficult but worthy habit.
Beth

This is a very easy read, yet profound. It was a very humbling reminder of what's most important in life & how simple life can be without us complicating it day to day. A great reminder that less always translates to being more. Great book for everyone to read!
Naomi
Wayne Muller's meditations on enoughness invariably lead us back to attention and to gratitude, fundamental practices of appreciation and acceptance and wonder. A fine volume that would also be good for small group study and discussions.
Elyse
Lots of helpful insights, but this particular Muller book felt more rambling to me ... more difficult to follow a thread. Might be better to just read a section each evening.

Still, worth the time for some specific nuggets.
Kerry
So helpful. Beautifully written and spiritually grounded, a wonderful reminder to slow down, breathe, trust your inner wisdom and turn your attention to what matters. May be a book I gift to several friends this year.
Nivash Kumar
This book takes an elegant view of every day life. There is consolation for quite a lot of things we think we don't have enough. I really enjoyed reading it.
Wendy
I really, really loved this book. I got it from the library, but am going to have to buy it because I know I need to read it again & again. It is, quite simply, a recipe for living a satisfying life.
Alex
Good book full of wisdom gems. It's on the lighter side. Still something I would recommend to make one realize about what is enough in this rat race that is the world we live in.
Becky
Reading books like this often makes me feel bad because I'm not a 'go out and be needed' do-er type. Still, the way of thinking I can try to use.
Ellen Gundersen
This book works for me as a guidebook which means I open it in episodes of life, to seek comfort or wisdom.
Always come back to it.
Julia
I loved this book. I kept it by my bedside and read one of the short chapters each night as a meditation.
It's definitely a self help book. I certainly wish he'd tell more touching stories or something...
Mary  Hart
A great book! ---helps to slow down and savor the moments --and let go of the small stuff.
Tina Bembry
Marvelous nuggets of wisdom and peace for the soul.
Sarah Taylor
I enjoyed this book and found a few insights very helpful.
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Ewstoddard
Ewstoddard is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
Gabbi
Gabbi marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Monica Bathija
Monica Bathija marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Christina Boodhan Juras
Christina Boodhan Juras marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Airam Siakānuaj
Airam Siakānuaj is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives How Then, Shall We Live?: Four Simple Questions That Reveal the Beauty and Meaning of Our Lives Legacy of the Heart: The Spiritual Advantage of a  Painful Childhood Learning to Pray: How We Find Heaven on Earth Legacy of the Heart: The Spiritual Advantages of a Painful Childhood

“In that inevitable, excruciatingly human moment, we are offered a powerful choice. This choice is perhaps one of the most vitally important choices we will ever make, and it determines the course of our lives from that moment forward. The choice is this: Will we interpret this loss as so unjust, unfair, and devastating that we feel punished, angry, forever and fatally wounded-- or, as our heart, torn apart, bleeds its anguish of sheer, wordless grief, will we somehow feel this loss as an opportunity to become more tender, more open, more passionately alive, more grateful for what remains?” 18 likes