Start by marking “Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking: Powerful, Practical Strategies to Build a Lifetime of Resilience, Flexibility, and Happiness” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From a leading clinician and strong selling author, a guide for all parents navigating the uncharted territory of managing their child's negative mindset.
Published October 20th 2008 by Da Capo Press (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking

Carrie
This was a powerful read for me. It opened my eyes to some very important concepts. We come wired with the way we think about things, but it doesn't mean it should control us or send us on a downward spiral.

This book gives solutions to negative thinking that work and are practical and lasting....things that actually change the paths in the brain so that when something negative comes our way we can automatically recognize it for what it is and then change our view of it and move forward.

I've re
Elizabeth
Wow. This book is informative and helpful! As a parent of a kid who can be a bit of an "awfulizer" I really appreciated the NUMEROUS strategies and ideas to manage negative thoughts. The section on ways to transition to strategies was brilliant. I have often felt uncertain on how to work through difficult moments with my kids and find myself using suggestions for doing so directly from this book. Better yet, I am learning right along with my child and I think it has been a good thing for all fiv ...more

A great book with practical advice for everyone. Even if your child doesn't tend towards the negative, this book details how to help your child maintain a positive outlook. The book teaches you how to coach your child as you analyze a problem and find out what part went wrong instead of your child thinking that "everything" went wrong. By coach, I do mean coach, the author definitely discourages parents from solving kids' problems. Research has shown that kids who have a more optimistic outlook
Les
Reading bits slowly as time permits.
Annabananarun Anawalt
I am loving this book! I highly recommend it to anyone who is struggling with a child who has negative thought patterns.. Also if you as an adult struggle with this - it is super insightful. This author is full of wisdom. I have not completed it yet, but read enough to know its very helpful!
Cristin
Very helpful read in understanding how negative thinking works and ways to help reroute those thoughts. Many of the strategies are geared toward older kids but I found ways to adapt or use only applicable strategies for elementary aged children and they definitely helped.
Lanita
This had some great ideas and I took lots of notes. However, I can see it is going to take some practice implementing these kinds of dialogue. It would be a handy book to have on hand!
Maya
Excellent ideas for working with children and adolescents and responding to negative thinking in kids. WEll written and organized.
Susan
This is a great book on this issue, lots of good ideas and strategies for children and teens.
Stephanie
Great ideas to keep a young negative mind on track and the rest around them calm.
Almah
Every parent must read.
Matthew Turner
Matthew Turner marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Brett Hinton
Brett Hinton marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Brandi Maki
Brandi Maki is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2014
Sharon L Johnson
Sharon L Johnson is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2014
Lisa Forest
Lisa Forest is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2014
Marie Frazier
Marie Frazier marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
Christine E.
Christine E. marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Regina Cornell
Regina Cornell is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2014
Amber
Amber is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2014
Alis
Alis marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Emily
Emily is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2014
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • I'd Listen to My Parents If They'd Just Shut Up: What to Say and Not Say When Parenting Teens
  • Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings
  • Under Pressure: Rescuing Childhood from the Culture of Hyper-Parenting
  • Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the Heart in Nature Education (Nature Literacy Series, Vol. 1) (Nature Literacy)
  • Escaping the Endless Adolescence: How We Can Help Our Teenagers Grow Up Before They Grow Old
  • Everything You Never Wanted Your Kids to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid They'd Ask): The Secrets to Surviving Your Child's Sexual Development from Birth to the Teens
  • Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation
  • Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana: What to Name Your Baby Now
  • What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety
  • Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No
  • The Idle Parent: Why Laid-Back Parents Raise Happier and Healthier Kids
  • A Still Quiet Place: A Mindfulness Program for Teaching Children and Adolescents to Ease Stress and Difficult Emotions
  • Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier Parents
  • It's OK Not to Share and Other Renegade Rules for Raising Competent and Compassionate Kids
  • Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs
Freeing Your Child from Anxiety Freeing Yourself from Anxiety: The 4-Step Plan to Overcome Worry and Create the Life You Want Freeing Your Child from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: A Powerful, Practical Program for Parents of Children and Adolescents Anxiety Disorders in Youth: Cognitive-Behavioral Interventions