Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking: Powerful, Practical Strategies to Build a Lifetime of Resilience, Flexibility, and Happiness

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  10 reviews
From a leading clinician and strong selling author, a guide for all parents navigating the uncharted territory of managing their child's negative mindset.
Published October 20th 2008 by Da Capo Press (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking

Carrie
This was a powerful read for me. It opened my eyes to some very important concepts. We come wired with the way we think about things, but it doesn't mean it should control us or send us on a downward spiral.

This book gives solutions to negative thinking that work and are practical and lasting....things that actually change the paths in the brain so that when something negative comes our way we can automatically recognize it for what it is and then change our view of it and move forward.

I've re...more
Elizabeth
Wow. This book is informative and helpful! As a parent of a kid who can be a bit of an "awfulizer" I really appreciated the NUMEROUS strategies and ideas to manage negative thoughts. The section on ways to transition to strategies was brilliant. I have often felt uncertain on how to work through difficult moments with my kids and find myself using suggestions for doing so directly from this book. Better yet, I am learning right along with my child and I think it has been a good thing for all fiv...more

A great book with practical advice for everyone. Even if your child doesn't tend towards the negative, this book details how to help your child maintain a positive outlook. The book teaches you how to coach your child as you analyze a problem and find out what part went wrong instead of your child thinking that "everything" went wrong. By coach, I do mean coach, the author definitely discourages parents from solving kids' problems. Research has shown that kids who have a more optimistic outlook...more
Les
Reading bits slowly as time permits.
Annabananarun Anawalt
I am loving this book! I highly recommend it to anyone who is struggling with a child who has negative thought patterns.. Also if you as an adult struggle with this - it is super insightful. This author is full of wisdom. I have not completed it yet, but read enough to know its very helpful!
Cristin
Very helpful read in understanding how negative thinking works and ways to help reroute those thoughts. Many of the strategies are geared toward older kids but I found ways to adapt or use only applicable strategies for elementary aged children and they definitely helped.
Lanita
This had some great ideas and I took lots of notes. However, I can see it is going to take some practice implementing these kinds of dialogue. It would be a handy book to have on hand!
Maya
Excellent ideas for working with children and adolescents and responding to negative thinking in kids. WEll written and organized.
Susan
This is a great book on this issue, lots of good ideas and strategies for children and teens.
Almah
Every parent must read.
Yazen Zohair
Yazen Zohair marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Christine
Christine is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2014
Liddy
Liddy marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Reader
Reader marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 28, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Staci Seliger
Staci Seliger marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
W.H. Beck
W.H. Beck marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Minherkhotmail.com
Minherkhotmail.com marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Freeing Your Child from Anxiety Freeing Yourself from Anxiety: The 4-Step Plan to Overcome Worry and Create the Life You Want Freeing Your Child from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: A Powerful, Practical Program for Parents of Children and Adolescents Anxiety Disorders in Youth: Cognitive-Behavioral Interventions