Start by marking “The First Fall Classic: The Red Sox, the Giants and the Cast of Players, Pugs and Politicos Who Re-Invented the World Series in 1912” as Want to Read:

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In this wonderful page-turner, veteran sports journalist Mike Vaccaro brings to life a bygone era in cinematic and intimate detail—and re-creates the magic and suspense of the world’s first classic series.

Despite a major presidential election, the near-assassination of Teddy Roosevelt, and the most sensational trial of the young century, baseball dominated front-page headl
Published October 6th 2009 by Anchor (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The First Fall Classic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Fall Classic

John
Must read for serious baseball lovers. The author gives a comprehensive account of the controversial 1912 World Series between the NY Giants and Boston Red Sox. With the rampant and open gambling, cheating and an apparent fixing of game 6 by the Red Sox owner, puts the purity of the game at that time in to question.
zumiee
An excellent book that makes a terrific case that the first great World Series was the 1912 Series between the Giants and the Red Sox. The author fully engages the reader in this entertaining and compelling book. The only thing that could have made the book even better is if the Giants had won that Series. (grin)
Beth
A great baseball book, covering with wit and insight the eight World Series games, the personalities on the teams, and the culture of baseball fandom in the early twentieth century. Highly recommended for any fan of the game!
Big League Manager
Not exactly what I'd call history or perfectly accurate, but it is still a really good read. Just take it all with a grain of salt. Kind of like a movie based on a true event.
Patrick Coffey
I really enjoyed this book. I love all things baseball and this book really made me wish that television cameras caught this amazing World Series.
Mark Zadroga
Vaccaro not only chronicles the 1912 series but the politics and culture surrounding it. Great read for fans of the game.
Jim
Very interesting cast of characters. Christy Mathewson near the end of his career, John McGraw being John McGraw.
Walt
Outstanding. Makes the 1912 World Series come to life, as if it was happening this year.
Alex
This will sound snotty, but it needs to be said:

In a somewhat bizarre author’s note preceding the book, the author promises the reader that when he was writing the book, he saturated himself in contemporary news stories and research materials from the National Baseball Museum. This seems unnecessary for the author to say, especially at the beginning and not the end of a book, where such statements usually appear with annotations and a bibliography. But when you turn to the back you realize why:
Brian
This is an absolutely excellent book on baseball history, describing the hotly contested 1912 World Series between the NY Giants of the National League and the Boston Red Sox of the American League. The author does a phenomenal job of describing the action in the eight (yes 8) games played, all the while weaving in the events of the time, in particular the Presidential election of 1912 involving Taft, Wilson and Teddy Roosevelt. A famous murder trial was also taking place in NYC during the World ...more
Chris Witt
I hesitate to give 5 stars to a book like this, because I'd really like to reserve that kind of rating for a piece of classic literature.

However, I really need to rate this 5 stars within the particular type of book that this is. And I have to admit that every night I was very much looking forward to laying down and cracking this book open to read another chapter.

I came across this book as part of Joe Posnanski's list of best sports books that he posted last Christmastime. And so far Poz's list
Tom Gase
Re-read this with the 100th anniversary this month of the event. Still a great book. Liked it just as much as when I read it about three years ago. Here is my review from 2009...

Like the it says in the title of this book, Mike Vaccaro has written a true classic.

I picked this up a couple days before the 2009 World Series and I was impressed. Much like author Cait Murphy did in "Crazy 08", Vaccaro paints such a great picture of life nearly 100 years ago. It felt as if I was in New York City and B
Brent Soderstrum
A hundred years ago the New York Giants and the Boston Red Sox met for eight games to decide the world series champion. It was the first world series that had gone the full number of games and been decided by a close score. I don't capitalize "world series" because it wasn't capitalized back then. Only eight world series had been played before the 1912 showdown.

I love history and I love baseball and Vaccaro's account of the first great world series was very interesting to me. The train travel w
Dan
The main subject of this book - the 1912 World Series - is plenty interesting. You've got a number of the best historical ballplayers; you've got two great baseball cities (boston and new york); you've got labor strife. Really, this story should have been enough to fill up 280 pages. Instead, however, Vaccaro relies upon other present day issues of interest (the 1912 election; the murder trial of a new york city policeman) to fill in space and provide context. The book fails because of this. I r ...more
Jim V
If you like / love baseball read the book. A great view of how the World Series began and a look back at early American baseball.
William
A great book for a baseball fan who wants to relive (thanks to with artfully re-created history) the 1912 World Series. Disappointing, unfortunately, if one reads the reviews about the invented dialogue and some factual errors. There is enough of merit, however, to recommend this book to those who enjoy baseball, especially dead-ball era baseball and the characters who made it.
Noel
I was wondering if I'd be able to get up for the 2011 Giants season considering they achieved the ultimate goal last fall. After reading The First Fall Classic, a gift from my sister, I'm ready to go. Pitchers and catchers reported yesterday and I'm ready for a repeat. Go Giants!
DOC
Ah ... a little winter dose of baseball. Anyone who loves the game should read it.
Kevin
Book details one of the first great world series between the Giants and Red Sox in 1912
Frank Byrns
Fascinating look at the early days of the World Series. Well worth a read.
Hallie Sewell
Hallie Sewell marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2015
Bryan
Bryan added it
May 11, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
TRudis
TRudis marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Cepeloquin
Cepeloquin marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Great book 1 9 Oct 29, 2009 04:24PM
Emperors and Idiots: The Hundred Year Rivalry Between the Yankees and Red Sox, From the Very Beginning to the End of the Curse 1941 -- The Greatest Year In Sports: Two Baseball Legends, Two Boxing Champs, and the Unstoppable Thoroughbred Who Made History in the Shadow of War The First Fall Classic Emperors and Idiots: The Hundred Year Rivalry Between the Yankees and Red Sox, from the Very Beginnin G to the End of the Curse 1941 -- The Greatest Year in Sports