Start by marking “Tattoo Girl” as Want to Read:
Tattoo Girl

Tattoo Girl

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Tattoo girl is an evocative story of perseverance and discovery in the face of insanity and corruption. A young girl is found alone in an Ohio mall long after closing hours, unable to speak, nd covered head to foot in fish-scale tattoos. Her identity presents an enigma. She is adopted and named Emma by Lucy, a former circus fat lady. Warned that Emma maybe in in danger fro ...more
Published March 21st 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Tattoo Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tattoo Girl

Juushika
A young girl, named Emma, is discovered in a mall after hours, mute, covered in blood, and tattooed with fish scales. Former circus fat lady Lucy adopts her, and the two begin a quest to discover Emma's past. A dark, gritty story with glints of magical realism, Tattoo Girl is primarily a journey of strength through self-acceptance, a strong theme which makes for an equally strong ending. But both characters and antagonists are over-exaggerated, making their struggles unbelievable. Tattoo Girl is ...more
Bethany
A young woman is found in the mall in the middle of the night. She does not speak. Tattoos of fish scales are covering her body with the exception of her hands, feet and face. A former fat lady from a circus hears about this young woman, and knows that she can care for her; that because of her experiences, she can reach this young woman.

An incredibly fast read. This story engrossed me from page one. While moderately disturbing (oh the twisted and deranged bad guys) there is an underlying story o
Peter
Brook Stevens previous book, The Circus of the Earth and Air, is one of my favorites, which makes this one so much more disapointing in how bad it is. Lacking the hypnotic, dream like quality of that previous book, this seems to be a good short story idea padded out to novel length.
Kerr
description

I dont know how I feel about this one, it was slow to start, but it didnt drag...hard to describe.

Full review can also be found on: Paein and Ms4Tune’s Book Blog

This was a slow to start book, and yet it wasn’t slow at all. It was perfectly the right speed, which doesn’t make sense. The speed you drive on a meandering country road would be far too slow for the motorway and the speed of a motorway would be deadly on a country road. This book was that country road. It dropped you into what you com
Tracy
sisterimapoet
I was interested to see that the main criticism of this novel among its Amazon reviews is that it wasn't believable.

Now maybe I am strange, but I am quite happy for some of my fiction to be fictional, made-up, imaginative - in fact unbelievable.

Invented stories will sometimes contain twists and turns that are highly unlikely in real life. Thats why reading fiction is entertaining.

As such I had no problem with this book. I found it an easy, entertaining read. I liked the circus / freak show / pre
Heather Lapierre
Good story

I'm glad to see this version of the book on kindle, you can't seem to find it in stores anymore

Stacie
This story was OK, if not a little far fetched.

A girl, who doesn't speak is found in a mall at night with fish scales tattooed all over her body. She is then adopted by a former fat lady who goes on a mission to find out what happened to her in order to find out why she has fish scales tattooed all over her body...that is when trouble ensues.

Throw in some circus freaks, a dwarf clown/mechanic and a crazy religious zealot and you have yourself a story.
Teddi Lee
The cover is so off-point and makes you wonder if the jacket designer even read the book but regardless...this is a fairly interesting read. The writing itself is questionable but I kept with it and became pretty engrossed in the story about halfway through. Not a masterpiece by any means, but still compelling in its own way.
Daniel
This book is about a allegedly religious person turning a young women into tattoo art.The young women finds what was called in the circus "The Fat Lady" who is in love with a Little Person or in the circus he was most likely called derogatorily a midget.The young women or Tattooed Lady finds family and in this book.
Zeo
The premise itself started as bizarro, from the assumption that the tattoos were forced on the central character. Allowing the bizarro premises to be what they are though, I remember the characters to be interesting and complex and less tokenizing of folks in freak shows than Geek Love.
Sequoia
The cover is ridiculous and has nothing to do with the story. The beginning of the story captured my interest, but honestly I finished it just to finish. I really wanted to like the story, I did feel for the characters' stories, but it was just a bit much as far as plots go.
Selene
This was an excellent book that brings the reader into the complicated world of religion and circus freak shows. A heart rendering story of how life can go drastically wrong and how the paths you take are usually controlled by someone other than yourself!
Lisa
This was one of those books where nothing ties together. There just isn't that much coincidence in the world - or anywhere.

I shouldn't have finished it, but I kept thinking it had to come together in the end. It didn't.
Becky
I read this book a long time ago but i remember that it was a story line that was different from anything ells i had read then. i Know i enjoyed it but i cant remember a wholl lot about it.
Danyiel McComb
This book was just ok- I am very on the fence.... Great idea, story but the connections were lacking. At times things just felt as if the pages had to be there and not by choice
Troy Harris
Half way through.... its starting to loose my intrest but I might finish it out of spite.

The begining is good hopefully I am just in a low spot of the action
I thought this was a great book about two unlikely people finding each other and helping each other.
I gave up 100 pages into this book. It is pretty much the worst book I've ever been handed.
Notcathy J
"terrible title, cover just as bad. pulpy but absorbing."
Antonia
i think that this book is very good
Carrie
Paperbackswap.com book
Lori Micho
dark and disturbing read
sandra
Bleech. Total waste of time.
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Jane L
Jane L marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Cait
Cait marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Kimberly Santoriello
Kimberly Santoriello marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Innocence
  • Ceres, Celestial Legend: Tennyo (Ceres, Celestial Legend #13)
  • Haunted Waters
  • Soul Kiss: A Novel
  • Beautiful Stranger: A Memoir of an Obsession with Perfection
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 20 (The Wallflower, #20)
  • The Angel Chronicles, Vol. 2  (The Angel Chronicles, #2)
  • The Uses of Enchantment