Start by marking “The Big Bang Symphony: A Novel of Antarctica” as Want to Read:
The Big Bang Symphony: A Novel of Antarctica

The Big Bang Symphony: A Novel of Antarctica

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Antarctica is a vortex that draws you back, season after season. The place is so raw and pure, all seal hide and crystalline iceberg. The fishbowl communities at McMurdo Station, South Pole Station, and in the remote field camps intensify relationships, jack all emotion up to a 10. The trick is to get what you need and then get out fast.
At least that’s how thirty-year-old
Published May 6th 2010 by University of Wisconsin Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Bang Symphony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Bang Symphony

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
354th out of 1,095 books — 1,347 voters
Hunter's Pursuit by Kim BaldwinFresh Tracks by Georgia BeersIce by Lyn  GardnerThe Big Bang Symphony by Lucy Jane BledsoeBreaking the Ice by Kim Baldwin
Lesbians In Cold Places
4th out of 31 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Elaine Burnes
I liked it, but one thing that really irked me was that Mikala, the only lesbian, found her love off the page, not at the Pole, with the others. Mainstream publisher, hardcover book, so you know she’s successful, and what happens to the lesbian? Her story, her sexuality, gets short shrift. I don’t know if it was exactly how Bledsoe wanted to tell it or if she bowed to pressure from the publisher, or the NSF for the grants she got to go to Antarctica. Aside from that, it’s a lovely story. You can ...more
Allyson
Had the location not been antartica, this would have been such a snooze. She may have received many writing awards but her language was too pedestrian for my taste. Cliques and common turns of phrase were rampant and not interesting at all. The story line was boring and her characters contrived. I only finished it since it was relatively short and fast paced, and not too annoying as some I have abandoned midway.
Very disappointing actually.
Kate
Shallow tripe.
Sissy Van Dyke
The Claustrophobia of Vast Spaces in The Big Bang Symphony by Lucy Jane Bledsoe

In The Big Bang Symphony by Lucy Jane Bledsoe, the reader is treated to a glimpse of life in one of the planet's least forgiving ecosystems, the frozen environs of Antarctica. From the first chapter, Bledsoe makes it clear that the Arctic is a place that is at once beautiful yet wonderful with unforeseen hazards and the unpredictability of nature. In this frozen wilderness, life of any kind is tolerated but never nurt
Arja Salafranca
A novel about three women who journey to Antarctica: 30-year-old Rosie, back for her third season the ice; Mikala Wilbro, a composer there as part of the Writers’ and Artists’ programme, and Alice Neilson, a geologist. The three woman meet at various points, although the story is told separately, and their connections are only established quite a way into the story. Mikala has lost her lover, a woman, and is seemingly unable to feel or love again. Neilson, in her late twenties has never left hom ...more
Jill
Good thing about the book: set in Antarctica;
Bad things about the book: not one likable or interesting character;
everyone having sex without emotion or relationship, let alone love and commitment;
a supposed friendship between three women that was never developed or explained, apparently based on nothing
Eileen
Dull people do dull things in a dull place, all the while learning just the things they need in order to solve their most fundamental problem on returning to the USA. The most remarkable thing about this book is that is makes Antarctica seem boring.
Meg
Beautifully told story of three different women who come to Antarctica for various reasons... and what they find there. Some of the plot elements would have felt cliched in the hands of a different writer, but instead they felt new and original because of the way they were narrated and the way the characters unfolded. I loved the way people in this novel inspire and challenge each other, not only through romantic passion but through other kinds of human connection as well. The final scenes were ...more
Carla
reading for end of july book club. makes me want to go to antarctica where it's cold, especially with the heat wave going on here. love the book. once i got past the first quarter of it, it got easier as it is a story told with three narratives so at first was a bit confusing and frustrating as i wanted to find out more about a particular character and then it would switch. it was a nice read considering the temperatures have been in the 3 digits here in atlanta. i was trying to cool off vicario ...more
Alena
Really enjoyed this one. First grown-up book I could stick with in a while ;)

Makes me want to go to Antarctica. Complex characters in a complex environment. I find the vastness and cold hard to grasp, yet you could feel it everywhere in the book.

Yes, too bad that the lesbian's relationship happened off the page, but really, her trip to Antarctica was about something else entirely.

I always like Bledsoe for writing about characters that are not always likeable, but so interesting that you want to
Jesseb
Another one of my "grab five books off of the new fiction shelf before my kids rip the pages out of anything" books, This book explores the long term ramifications of short-term relationships in an unforgiving environment. The writing was fantastic, the characters were well defined and believable, the descriptions of life at the pole were intriguing (5 stars). However, the book ended up being more about the vagaries of sexual hook-ups than anything else (1 star). An interesting look into hedonis ...more
Kelly
I really didn't think I was going to like this book. I am participating in a global reading challenge and I'm suppossed to read two novels from each continent. Not surprisingly it's kind of slim pickingss from Antarctica. But I actually really enjoyed this book. It was really interesting to get a glimpse into what living in a research station at the South Pole was like. I thought the characters were well developed and intersting.

The ending wrapped up a little bit too neatly for me, but otherwis
Karen
I upgraded this book from 3 to 5 stars on my second reading, several years after my first. The writing was beautiful, the setting mesmerizing, and the story moving. Themes of coming to terms with loneliness, and making sense of the creative process spoke to me deeply at this stage in my life. Some of the characters were overly romanticized, and some of the descriptive language was clichéd, but overall this book provided deep comfort during a challenging time in my life, for which I will be forev ...more
James R
There's much to appreciate about this fast moving account of a season on the ice of Antarctica. The pay off for me was the speculation about the role of music in the creation of the universe and translation of that idea into a symphony. Reminded me of Greg Bear's premise in Songs of Earth and Power. The relationships among the three primary characters didn't hook me so much, but the descriptions of the continent and its effect on people was often quite compelling. It's a good quick read.
Susan K
Read this one because I'm going to Antarctica; it did have some interesting tidbits and descriptions of Antarctica.
Elizabeth Olson
Sep 08, 2011 Elizabeth Olson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Ben Mann
Shelves: fiction, read-2011
The research bases and camps of Antarctica attract scientists, artists, and drifters, all hoping to making the discovery of their lives. None of them are completely prepared, though, for the effect of the landscape on their minds and emotions -- nor are they prepared for the effect they have on each other. Bledsoe's depiction of the inhospitable continent is convincing, as are the ways the multiple protagonists are changed by their time there.
Gwen
Frigid cold seems to lead to baring of souls and profound realizations. The three protagonists --an uber-rational scientist, a wholly consumed by her art composer, and a wanna-be-home-centric free spirit -- have relationships with each other that are not wholly believable, but when the alternative is no relationship at all, it makes sense. Tragedy, near or realized, book ends the story in ways believable and frightening.
Hayley
I was on the fence pretty much through the first half of the book...I couldn't get comfortable with the characters and I wanted more Antarctica and less relationships and hook ups that seemed so casual and shallow. By the end of the book, however, it all felt a little better...and I was invested in the group of friends that developed and wished them the very best.
First Second Books
This book was somewhat about writing a symphony while living in Antarctica, but also a really lovely story about friendship and thinking about where your life is doing when you’re in the middle of it. And because it was set on Antarctica, there were also a lot of seals and geology and telescopes and even a plane crash!
Trace
She has been to the ice more times than I have and some things she gets dead-on right, but trying to combine the experiences of the Pole, McMurdo, and the Dry Valleys is too much. The experiences are too distinct to try and cram into one book, and does a disservice to the great detail she could give to each.
Kim
Inspired by the authors own trips to Antarctica (yes,you read that correctly) this is set at the modern camps and bases there. All sorts of types of work are being done here to figure out global warming, to the history of the planet. 3 lives are changed by this mostly unchanged continent.
Karen
A good light read. The plot is almost soap opera-esque, and the characters are not quite fully developed, which is why it feels like a light book. But I cared about the characters, and the details of Antarctica were very interesting.
Becky
Pretty okay novel (how's that for a review?). It was fine to read, don't know if I'd recommend it. The most interesting part is just thinking about what it must be like to be live in Antarctica.
Nancy
a fun little romp.. a little too much tell and not enough show, but i loved the characters and the drama and fairy-tale-ness of it, and i loved the awe for the landscape, the music, and the science.
Miko Lee
A story focused on a group of scientists, artists and workers at the South Pole. Love in the Antarctic and folks finding their true selves. Poetic tale of finding warmth in the cold.
Ilyssa Wesche
Great character development. Also she did a nice job of setting up the environment, the different groups of people who were there - this read like nonfiction in that regard.
Beans
Beautifully written. It's one of those books, though, that dangles promises of queerness without ever really delivering.
Tammy
Renewed my desire to go to Antarctica; captures the beauty and the struggle and the search.
Mercy
Good characters, good sense of place (Antarctica).
Bill
Excellent book about a continent I always wanted to visit.
  • Seven Moves
  • Monoceros
  • Being Emily
  • Macho Sluts: Erotic Fiction
  • Prairie Silence: A Memoir
Working Parts Biting the Apple Tracks in the Snow This Wild Silence: A Novel The Ice Cave: A Woman’s Adventures from the Mojave to the Antarctic