Start by marking “The Path to Enlightenment” as Want to Read:
The Path to Enlightenment

The Path to Enlightenment

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this extensive lesson, Tenzin Gyatso, the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, beautifully elucidates the meaning of the path to enlightenment. His discourse arises from the Third Dalai Lama’s brilliant and powerful work, Essence of Refined Gold, a classic text that summarizes the meaning of all Buddha’s teachings. The subject of Essence is the Lam Rim, a term that literally means "s ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published March 20th 2002 by Macmillan Audio (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Path to Enlightenment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Path to Enlightenment

Chris Lemig
I always go through so many emotions whenever I read a book by H.H. The Dalai Lama. First I'm stunned by his clarity, erudition and ability to make very advanced sprititual practices seem attainable even to a bloke like me. We're talking about attaining Buddhahood here, yet he makes it sound that not only is it possible but, in fact, it's something we can all cheerfully strive for. Then I become simply overjoyed. Overjoyed because I can read, and think, and discern. What a blessing! And finally, ...more
loafingcactus
I listened to this in the car so I was not able to take notes for a good review. A few items that caught my attention:

The Dalai Lama is not a vegetarian. He advises being as vegetarian as health allows, and in his case he had health problems and needed to eat some meat.

To go with that, there are quite a few basic points of Buddhism that seem to be incorrectly understood in popular culture; or at least I incorrectly understood them as I learned listening to this book.

Lack of global responsibility
Joseph Monti
I'm not ready to call myself Buddhist (I was going to say "become" instead of "call myself", but I'm not sure exactly what that would mean or really what the difference is. "call myself" sounded more like I don't know what it meant to "become"), but a great introduction to the practice and beliefs.
Erica
Not sure this is the religion for me. There's some time spent on finding the right guru, etc. I did enjoy the Dali Lama’s thoughts on simplifying your life and your soul. He also introduced an interesting idea to me of not entering death empty-handed if you lead a spiritual life. -e
Casie
I don't know why I found this hilarious. But the advice to think about death and the various manner of dying set me into giggles and the consideration of all of the horrors of coming back as an insect brought me to tears of laughter.
Pasquale
A tratti mi ha fatto sorridere per la somiglianza con le gabbie retoriche e rituali tipiche della teologia. Tanto buon senso e antica tradizione. Evitabile.
Danny Axelrod
Apr 14, 2008 Danny Axelrod rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pJ Perez, Matt Keleman, Jerry Misko, Jennifer Chang
I love this guy. Helped me understand that my spirituality is very grounded in this world, and that I didn't need some 'god' to teach me the difference between right and wrong.
Mckinley
Accessible commentary on important Buddhist text. Lamrim training the mind and Essence of Refined Gold.
Hadji VanderVeer
opened my eyes very humbling
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Norbu Samphel
Norbu Samphel marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Rebecca Esmail
Rebecca Esmail marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Stephen Bishop
Stephen Bishop marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
David Cullen
David Cullen marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Ashley Keller
Ashley Keller marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Rajesh Chandnani
Rajesh Chandnani marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Daniel Prasetyo
Daniel Prasetyo marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Eric Mcconnell
Eric Mcconnell marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Emily H
Emily H is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2014
  • The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems
  • The Buddhist Catechism
  • The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Digha Nikaya
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • My Journey to Lhasa: The Classic Story of the Only Western Woman Who Succeeded in Entering the Forbidden City
  • Bluebird: Women and the New Psychology of Happiness
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
The Art of Happiness An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama