Start by marking “The Tibetan Book of Yoga: Ancient Buddhist Teachings on the Philosophy and Practice of Yoga” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Yoga came to Tibet from India more than a thousand years ago, and it was quickly absorbed into the culture's rich traditions. In this small book readers will discover Heart Yoga, which developed over the centuries in the Gelukpa tradition of the Dalai Lamas. The program presented here combines popular yoga exercises wtih special Tibetan poses, and methods of working from t ...more
Published February 4th 2009 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Tibetan Book of Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tibetan Book of Yoga

Londonmabel Mabel
I wanted a book that explained the spiritual practise behind yoga, so I could use it in tandem with meditation. This book explains the meaning behind each pose, all of which are drawn from the earliest yoga texts. Really nice little volume.
Natasha
I checked out this book on a whim but I'm very happy I did.
This book explains in the simplest and most effective way possible how to go through a yoga practice known as Tibetan heart yoga.
They explain the exercises in words and with illustrations/photos but they took it a step further by explaining why these exercises are necessary for your spiritual growth, your physical benefit and mental health.
If you are interested in yoga and it's different forms I recommend taking a look into this small,
Riobhcah
An excellent guide to beginning Tibetan heart Yoga. I would recommend it very highly. It tells about straightening and un-knotting the channels of the body through which flows the inner winds, especially the heart channels.

Also, the author gets into the real goal of yoga -- inner spiritual transformation. In the west, it is unfortunate that yoga is often seen as just a physical exercise. It is so much more than that! He talks about how if we are compassionate to other creatures, then positivity
E
Lovely introduction to this particular school of yoga. Enjoyable and thought provoking.
Alyson
This is a great little book. I don't know where I came across the reference to it, but it was on my long list of things to look up. It's quite short, but, I think that's its strength. It has a very simple and direct approach, and is different from most 'mainstream' yoga books given its Tibetan yoga background.

I found the writing clear and unambiguous. The illustrations add to the quality of the book.

I'm really excited about the 10 step programme that is the heart (pun not intended) of the book,
Ian
I enjoyed this book. Even though I learned a lot of the poses in other practices. It went into a lot of detail about the mental part of not just yoga, but life. Only 50% of Yoga is stretching and the other 50% is breath/mental. This book will offer you a lot of breathing techniques, and mental thoughts for meditation. Not like the sitting on the ground in zazen meditation, but an overall challenge to some of your beliefs in a very articulate way.
Meghan
A really great introduction and step-by-step guide to Tibetan Heart Yoga. The book has everything you need to begin a thirty minute daily practice. It is a more spiritual practice than what we traditionally think of when we think of yoga here in the west, but it is still very accessible. I checked this book out from the library and will be purchasing it for my permanent collection!
masso salmassi
Dec 30, 2007 masso salmassi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who are interested to add more to their yoga knowledge.
Another look at yoga philosophy through concept of heart and love. "You can not enter the door of yoga without kindness and compassion for others" Changmye, Who swam in the Diamond sea (1717-1786). Yoga teacher to the Emperor of China and his holiness the seventh Dalai Lama. Book has origial ancient illustrations.
Mara
i adore yoga, but this was a bit more "spiritual" than i have been feeling lately, perhaps if i gave it another go some other time..
Sara
...a hopeful perspective that reminds the reader of the many ways yoga can foster healing...
Denise Garza
I bought this because I liked his other works but I haven't gotten very far in it.
Olgis
Olgis marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Dom
Dom is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2015
Popkins
Popkins is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Lr7
Lr7 marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Jen Adams
Jen Adams is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2015
Hanne
Hanne marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Tiffaney
Tiffaney marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Kelley Dodd
Kelley Dodd marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Bokaholic
Bokaholic marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
How Yoga Works The Diamond Cutter: The Buddha On Managing Your Business And Your Life The Essential Yoga Sutra: Ancient Wisdom for Your Yoga The Garden: A Parable Karmic Management: The Secret Laws of Karma that will Create Success in All Aspects of Your Life