Start by marking “Mrs. Appleyard's Year” as Want to Read:

Mrs. Appleyard's Year

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Paperback
Published 1941 by Houghton Mifflin company

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Appleyard's Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Appleyard's Year

Julie Davis
I know, I know. This looks like the lamest old book ever. Yet after enjoying the clever, gentle humor of the commentary in Mrs. Appleyard's Kitchen I was intrigued enough to find a cheap copy of this book. Truth to tell, I was thinking it might be good to read to my mother-in-law (she suffers from slight dementia and so far Cheaper By the Dozen is our favorite to share together on my visits).

At any rate, as I was looking through this I found myself continually pulled into the story and laughing.
Eilonwy
Mrs. Appleyard is what would happen if Anne of Green Gables was a Bostonian in her forties or fifties, during World War II. There's a similar level of fancifulness that's been harnessed to raising children (most of whom are young adults by the time of the book) and refinishing old furniture.

It's thus the ultimate comfort read for me, since it's whimsical without verging into twee. Mrs. Appleyard is also, in some ways, the Peg Bracken of her era: for all the crafts and pies, she's equally capable
Mark Hepler
Set your barometer to this book, written with wit, warmth, intelligence, and self-effacement. Compare it to the stuff of our present-day Great Cultural Decline. Kent’s works hide in used-book stacks, and, like time capsules, have no expiration date.
Susan
Kent's alter ego, Mrs. Appleyard, describes the month-by-month events of her year. It's not exactly a novel, nor are the individual months short stories. Clearly, it's based on Kent's own life, but not enough to call it non-fiction. Danged if I know just what it is, other than a relaxing comfort read about a quiet life in Vermont.
Deb
Read this long ago, these were favorites of my mother and of course they are set in Boston and environs.
Molly Campbell
This is simply one of my favorite books of all time. Like comfort food--only a book.
Sunny
This book was a beloved best seller during WWII. It's not about the war at all, but a semi-autobiographical view of a typical year in peacetime by a upper middle class wife and mother in Boston's Back Bay. The book was in fact such a warm part of so many American's lives that it spawned an entire career for the author of Mrs Appleyard cookbooks, many of which were also bestsellers in the 1950s and 60s.
Sharon Zink
This is not the book I read. I read Mrs. Appleyard and I by the same author, printed in 1968. It was a very entertaining, autobiographical book. It was a good book from which to read a chapter before sleep. Goodreads does not have Mrs. Appleyard in its lists of books.
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2015
Miss M
Miss M added it
Jul 12, 2015
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Paula Moreshead
Paula Moreshead marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
TK421
TK421 marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Hazel Dawkins
Hazel Dawkins marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
He Went With Marco Polo Mrs. Appleyard's Kitchen Cooking with Mrs. Appleyard Mrs. Appleyard's summer kitchen (Their The Mrs. Appleyard books ; v. 2) The Brookline Trunk