Start by marking “Mrs. Appleyard's Year” as Want to Read:

Mrs. Appleyard's Year

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Paperback
Published 1941 by Houghton Mifflin company

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Appleyard's Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Appleyard's Year

Julie Davis
I know, I know. This looks like the lamest old book ever. Yet after enjoying the clever, gentle humor of the commentary in Mrs. Appleyard's Kitchen I was intrigued enough to find a cheap copy of this book. Truth to tell, I was thinking it might be good to read to my mother-in-law (she suffers from slight dementia and so far Cheaper By the Dozen is our favorite to share together on my visits).

At any rate, as I was looking through this I found myself continually pulled into the story and laughing.
Mark Hepler
Set your barometer to this book, written with wit, warmth, intelligence, and self-effacement. Compare it to the stuff of our present-day Great Cultural Decline. Kent’s works hide in used-book stacks, and, like time capsules, have no expiration date.
Deb
Read this long ago, these were favorites of my mother and of course they are set in Boston and environs.
Molly Campbell
This is simply one of my favorite books of all time. Like comfort food--only a book.
Sunny
This book was a beloved best seller during WWII. It's not about the war at all, but a semi-autobiographical view of a typical year in peacetime by a upper middle class wife and mother in Boston's Back Bay. The book was in fact such a warm part of so many American's lives that it spawned an entire career for the author of Mrs Appleyard cookbooks, many of which were also bestsellers in the 1950s and 60s.
Sharon Zink
This is not the book I read. I read Mrs. Appleyard and I by the same author, printed in 1968. It was a very entertaining, autobiographical book. It was a good book from which to read a chapter before sleep. Goodreads does not have Mrs. Appleyard in its lists of books.
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Paula Moreshead
Paula Moreshead marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
TK421
TK421 marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Hazel Dawkins
Hazel Dawkins marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Ann Shultis
Ann Shultis marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Valerie Phillips
Valerie Phillips marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
He Went With Marco Polo Mrs. Appleyard's Kitchen Cooking with Mrs. Appleyard Mrs. Appleyard's summer kitchen (Their The Mrs. Appleyard books ; v. 2) The Brookline Trunk