Start by marking “Mrs. Appleyard's Year” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Appleyard's Year

Mrs. Appleyard's Year

Paperback
Published 1941 by Houghton Mifflin company

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Appleyard's Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Appleyard's Year

Kathryn
Feb 20, 2017 Kathryn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
A quaint, charming story of the each month in life of Mrs. Appleyard's whose children are grown. I picked up this book at a used book store. It was a fun little read while the snow falls outside.
Julie Davis
Jul 06, 2013 Julie Davis rated it really liked it
I know, I know. This looks like the lamest old book ever. Yet after enjoying the clever, gentle humor of the commentary in Mrs. Appleyard's Kitchen I was intrigued enough to find a cheap copy of this book. Truth to tell, I was thinking it might be good to read to my mother-in-law (she suffers from slight dementia and so far Cheaper By the Dozen is our favorite to share together on my visits).

At any rate, as I was looking through this I found myself continually pulled into the story and laughing.
Mark Hepler
Aug 28, 2013 Mark Hepler rated it liked it
Set your barometer to this book, written with wit, warmth, intelligence, and self-effacement. Compare it to the stuff of our present-day Great Cultural Decline. Kent’s works hide in used-book stacks, and, like time capsules, have no expiration date.
Eilonwy
Jul 04, 2015 Eilonwy rated it really liked it
Shelves: vintage, world-war-ii
Mrs. Appleyard is what would happen if Anne of Green Gables was a Bostonian in her forties or fifties, during World War II. There's a similar level of fancifulness that's been harnessed to raising children (most of whom are young adults by the time of the book) and refinishing old furniture.

It's thus the ultimate comfort read for me, since it's whimsical without verging into twee. Mrs. Appleyard is also, in some ways, the Peg Bracken of her era: for all the crafts and pies, she's equally capable
Rhode
Nov 25, 2012 Rhode rated it really liked it
This book was a beloved best seller during WWII. It's not about the war at all, but a semi-autobiographical view of a typical year in peacetime by a upper middle class wife and mother in Boston's Back Bay. The book was in fact such a warm part of so many American's lives that it spawned an entire career for the author of Mrs Appleyard cookbooks, many of which were also bestsellers in the 1950s and 60s.
Susan
Aug 19, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Kent's alter ego, Mrs. Appleyard, describes the month-by-month events of her year. It's not exactly a novel, nor are the individual months short stories. Clearly, it's based on Kent's own life, but not enough to call it non-fiction. Danged if I know just what it is, other than a relaxing comfort read about a quiet life in Vermont.
Sharon Zink
This is not the book I read. I read Mrs. Appleyard and I by the same author, printed in 1968. It was a very entertaining, autobiographical book. It was a good book from which to read a chapter before sleep. Goodreads does not have Mrs. Appleyard in its lists of books.
Froxis
Dec 20, 2015 Froxis rated it really liked it
A unique world view that is give in short accounts that match up the months of the year.
Fun collection worth the read (or listen).
Deb
Feb 25, 2015 Deb rated it it was amazing
Read this long ago, these were favorites of my mother and of course they are set in Boston and environs.
Molly Campbell
Jul 26, 2014 Molly Campbell rated it it was amazing
This is simply one of my favorite books of all time. Like comfort food--only a book.
Jenn
Jan 13, 2017 Jenn added it
As you'd expect, being her year, each chapter corresponds to a month, so I read each at the start of the right month. Cute book - charming and funny!
KLD
KLD rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2014
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Eki Teebi
Eki Teebi rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2013
Flamingandromeda
Flamingandromeda rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Alexandria Luttke
Alexandria Luttke rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
April Medeiros
April Medeiros rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2010
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2011
Dorthe
Dorthe rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2013
Janie
Janie rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Yunbin Jung
Yunbin Jung rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Olivia Gay
Olivia Gay rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Jae Woods
Jae Woods rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Lizziebeth10
Lizziebeth10 rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Geminimind
Geminimind rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2014