Start by marking “Of Fire and Night (The Saga of Seven Suns, #5)” as Want to Read:
Of Fire and Night (The Saga of Seven Suns, #5)

Of Fire and Night (The Saga of Seven Suns #5)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  2,446 ratings  ·  46 reviews
The Saga of Seven Suns is a galaxy-spanning SF epic, packed with politics, war, family intrigues and star-crossed lovers.

For years, the alien Klikiss robots have pretended to be humanity's friends, but their seeming "help" has allowed them to plant an insidious Trojan Horse throughout the Earth Defense Forces. In the climactic battle, human and alien races will collide an...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Aspect (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Of Fire and Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Fire and Night

Vicky
Coming into a series near the end is never a good thing, but it does give one a unique perspective. When I first starting reading this book, I was completely confused. Even the author’s “The Story So Far” prologue did not help.

But my initial confusion soon gave way to enlightenment. Anderson’s character development and world creation are so good that you lose yourself in the story without really knowing – or even really caring – what has happened so far.

With each chapter devoted to a different...more
Dave Johnson
this was one of the best books in this series. i thought the plot twists and new characters and threads were very entertaining. i think that you need to read KJA's books with the intention of being entertained and not necessarily impressed with his writing (although i think he's a very good writer). i thought the ending was fantastic. HUGE cliffhanger. it really made me long for the next book.
D.w.
Still ticking. This series reminds me of the old Timex commercials. All that is bad about it has not been fixed.

The time scale, the short chapters. Now we have a few new terrible elements. The pregnancy that will not end. As we see so many things happening, as the author wanted to build to his first climax he had placed one of he numerous main characters into the situation of expectant motherhood. That was a good plot point. Except with all that has happened, the woman must be carrying the child...more
Faz
I have heard a lot of glowing reviews for Mr. Anderson's works, and figured I would start with the Saga of Seven Suns anthology since the premise was right up my SciFi alley. I was severely disappointed. While the basis of the stories was interesting and held great promise, the excruciating details of people, conversations and relationships turned me off. When there was action to be had, it was limited to very little writings, and had none of the depth as in the rest of the book. I 'read' this a...more
Sebastien
Quelle ne fut pas ma surprise quand dans un livre prévue de 7 livre, qu'on ait une fin inscrite dans le cinquième livre.

Une grosse partie de l'histoire se termine dans ce livre et bien que plusieurs lecteur semble ne pas apprécier la manière dont ça a été traité, pour ma part ce livre est le meilleur de la série.

En même temps l'auteur sait habilement nous garder assez de matériel pour nous faire savoir que les 2 prochains livre ne seront pas que des fillers, il seront des livre de la série, mais...more
Heather Koehler
The fifth book in the Saga of Seven Suns is arguably the best yet.

The pacing of this book increased tenfold from the previous four. There is hardly a moment of inaction in the entire 550 pages. And yet, amid the battles and epic plots, the characters remain central to the story, giving the events an emotional resonance too often lost in the flurry of sci-fi action.

At first, I was sure that the characters where kidding themselves about the “last battle” against the hydrogues. They are the ultimat...more
Don Viecelli
From My Newsletter Number 21:

I finished reading the next two books from Kevin J. Anderson, The Saga Of The Seven Suns series; Scattered Suns, Book 4 and Of Fire And Night, Book 5.

In Of Fire And Night the action intensifies. The Ildirans must consider joining the Hydrogues and the Klikiss to destroy the humans or face extermination as a race. The Klikiss turn against all humans and nearly destroy Earth in the process. In the end, it is the human Roamers and the Ildirans who turn the tide against...more
Chris Harris
One of the greatest sci-fi novels I have ever read. I would recommend to anyone, let alone readers of science fiction novels.

The conclusion is possible the greatest sci-fi "war sequence" I have ever read, bringing together every single plot thread of the book.
Nor'dzin Pamo
This is better than book 4 of the series and comes to a satisfactory conclusion. I was tempted to stop reading at this point as some of the major story lines were resolved, but have now decided to see it through for all seven books - even though I feel a little taken advantage of. It did not need to be 7 books, but it's a nice money spinner for the author. There was a bit of a feeling of 'how can there be 2 more books' while reading it, and then 'oh no another story line has begun' at the end. I...more
Michelle
I like these books by Kevin Anderson because each chapter follows a character. They are great for reading in places where you have small snippets of time like the bathroom, the doctors office, the car waiting to pick up kids, on the morning train, etc. The chapters are short 3-4 pages and only follow one character at a time so it's not too confusing. The characters are also richly developed and the plot is always thickening. Just when you think you've figured it out the author throws something e...more
John Shumway
** Save review for the series:
This was a fun series to read. The semi long winded way of writing reminds me of the Dune prequels and conclusions he helped write. Not that I'm really complaining it’s just a lot to get through.
The story is big but the character list is bigger, and you get plenty of detail. I was able to read the entire series with only 1 or 2 forced distraction books to get a break from the story. Which for me means it’s pretty good if I don't get too sick of it after 7 books.
If...more
John D'alessio
The plot lines in this series were very interesting, and it was just enough to keep me reading it through to the end, but I found the writing repetitive, than tiresome and finally flat out boring.

Anderson writes each chapter as if you may have forgotten the setting laid down previously...I get it that the roamers are inventive, I get it that Ildarians can feel each other through some sort of psychic link, and I get it that the Chairman is distrustful of others...you don't need to continually be...more
Erin
Wow. Just...Oh Wow. Of Fire and Night was the fifth book in The Saga of the Seven Suns. Five long books full of many plots and dozens of characters and after all this excruciating time caring about these many people and their plights everything was wrapped up in (for the most part) a very satisfying and not too predictable conclusion that was the epic showdown that I had so hoped for. Um...but there are two more books? And the last one is called "Ashes of Worlds." That doesn't bode well. I'm afr...more
Vivien
Probably one of the better in the series, but was still okayish.
Jason Miller
The government of Earth was getting tedious, finally things take a turn for the better and more interesting, as does the war, bringing all the players together to finally defect the hydrogs. Looking forward to learning the direction the new government of earth goes in and the image of the return of the Clickless gone for 10,000 years and thought log dead. This is book 5 of 7.
Nathan
There are some interesting plot twists to this book as one of the major threats has been dealt with, but others take center stage. The characters are even more worth the time and investment as they've grown and evolved with the rest of the story. I'm glad that I spent the hours with this book.
Jason
This is great science fiction - excellent character development, complex story arcs and just pure excitement to read. I'm glad I got into the Saga of Seven Suns series after 5 of them had been published as it would have killed me to have to wait long periods in between publishing each book.
Eric Venditti
This serie has been pretty solid so far and this book as its predecessors delivers. It kept me interested and wondering from the beginning to the end and now I wonder what's coming in the next 2 as this could have been a good last book. I definitely recommend this book and the one before.
Jeremiah Johnson
Pretty good story. I thought though that if this book was slightly longer (it was actually shorter than the last 2) it could have easily ended the series. As it stands, the new "revelations" at the end just line up 2 more books for no reason. They better be worth it...
Vincent Wood
This is certainly the best of the series so far. Lots of action, lots of plot advancement, lots of excitement. If only all the rest of the books in the series were as good as this one, then I would be considering this series a great one rather than just a good one.
Diane
I'm still enjoying and fascinated by this story of the saga of seven suns, which are now six. The characteristics of the aliens and humans are so much like what is found on earth now, and the fight between good and evil is pointed out in these struggles.
Jim
Book 5 of the Saga of the Seven Suns.

A great story continues on. Two books after this one to finish the story. It is a great series...very well written...and hold your interest from beginning to end.

This is a classic of science fiction.
Bobby Marion
I read the entire series. That was a lot of books to read. Nevertheless I enjoyed the character development and epic scale of the books. Sometimes things were a little too over the top, but overall enjoyed the story.
Anima
Jan 20, 2009 Anima rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vorkosigan fans
Shelves: science-fiction
I like this space saga a lot, though at times it get a bit sentimental it is very entertaining and its scope breath-taking. It is a light reading, nothing too thought-provoking, yet it is a nice diversion.
Liviu

This book is good but the series is just too long for its depth; excellent popcorn sf for a while, then from book 4 on tedious. Stopped at 3 or 4, it would have been a great series
David
Wow! The universe goes to heck in a handbasket, and you just can't stop watching!

You must read the previous books first, though, or you will be terribly lost.
Danny
Fifth book in this very detailed and amazing Space opera, you think the major crisis is over, but an old war from 10,000 years ago has a way of re-igniting again.
Michelle Church
Excellent space opera with a really expansive world. I've read the series - hmmm - three times? A little long winded in some places but highly recommended.
John
Complex in some ways but very predictable. Huge number of characters of which some are very good but others are a little too soap operish in nature.
Jeff O'Brien
Just finished this and can't wait to get through the next two books. This series is by far the greatest sci-fi series in a long long time.
  • Ally (Wess'Har Wars, #5)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist 1: Consolidation (Night's Dawn 2)
  • Coyote Frontier (Coyote Trilogy, #3)
  • The Orphaned Worlds (Humanity's Fire, #2)
  • The Precipice (Asteroid Wars, #1)
  • The Machine Crusade (Legends of Dune, #2)
  • Overkill (Orphan's legacy, #1)
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll...more
More about Kevin J. Anderson...
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1) Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2) Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5) Darksaber (Star Wars)

“There will come a time of fire and night, when enemies rise and empires fall, when the suns themselves begin to die.” 0 likes