Start by marking “An Introduction to Mathematics (Classic Reprint)” as Want to Read:
An Introduction to Mathematics (Classic Reprint)

An Introduction to Mathematics (Classic Reprint)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
AN INTKODUCTION TO MATHEMATICS CHAPTER I the abstract nature of mathematics The study of mathematics is apt to commence in disappointment. The important applications of the science, the theoretical interest of its ideas, and the logical rigour of its methods, all generate the expectation of a speedy introduction to processes of interest. We are told that by its aid the sta ...more
Published May 17th 2012 by Forgotten Books (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about An Introduction to Mathematics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Introduction to Mathematics

Lotz
Apr 05, 2015 Lotz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
A big fat book that has, of late, been sitting on the shelf in front of me is titled What is Mathematics? That book and this one should switch titles. When a student puts down What is Mathematics? they will know how to do various types of math problems, but not what math is. And when a student puts down this book, they will have a general idea of what math is, and won’t be able to solve any problems.

This is actually my favorite book of mathematics that I’ve read (which isn’t saying very much). I
Roberto Rigolin Ferreira Lopes
Striking review of fundamental concepts from a distinguished teacher. This is enlightening + engaging because you get the concepts plus its importance within the body of knowledge. Not to mention the historical context. For instance, Whitehead remember us that Archimedes was killed by a Roman soldier while contemplating a mathematical diagram and no Roman ever died in such conditions. This book is full of insights; go for it if you want to refresh your view of Mathematics having lots of fun.
Andrew Shores
I was re-reading this book to see whether any part would work as a reading for one of my classes. Unfortunately, this book is too old for it to be of much use there. It talks about light moving through the ether and it refers to people and places in England that few of my students (if any) would know (I didn't know most of them).

There are good paragraphs and I appreciate the book because it was probably one of the first books that attempted to talk about mathematics to a general audience.
Josh
May 26, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013
Essentially a review of pure-level math in high-school, with more emphasis on explicating concepts and their origins than practical applications and problem solving. It's not dumbed down and makes efforts to describe the developments and proofs of mathematical thought, so I couldn't recommend it to anyone not already a little familiar with the concepts.

This text is just over 100 years old, but despite a few changes in notation and some anachronisms (it mentions the ether when describing physics)
Rich Hobbie
Dec 18, 2015 Rich Hobbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book!

Anyone who has studied mathematics through differential and integral calculus will enjoy the historical and philosophical allusions in this book. I particularly enjoyed the exposition on trigonometry and triangulation.
Justin
Jan 08, 2014 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still get lost on some of this stuff, but Whitehead's exposition is great. Makes you wonder what happened to him. Wish I'd read this book a lot earlier, when I was actually working on mathematics. The problems he points out with textbooks seem to be worse today, and not only in mathematics.
Sean Martin
Fun, but mainly of historical interest rather than technical.
Krollo
Apr 06, 2014 Krollo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply fascinating. A pinch of maths, a pinch of philosophy, a pinch of wonderful writing... all combined to make a great instructional text on how to understand maths as a whole.
Chris March
A fine review of high school math, plus some history and context. I might have enjoyed it, if an editor had trimmed down some of the verbiage.
Eduardo
Eduardo marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Khulood
Khulood marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Del Herman
Del Herman marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Arash Ashrafzadeh
Arash Ashrafzadeh marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Mark Schoonover
Mark Schoonover marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Hung Nghiep
Hung Nghiep marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Juan Garcia
Juan Garcia marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Stesew
Stesew marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Vijay
Vijay marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
John Yolo
John Yolo rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Rafael Martins
Rafael Martins marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Divyanshu Bagga
Divyanshu Bagga marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Thomas Ray
Thomas Ray marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Abakar Meremi Kolo
Abakar Meremi Kolo rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
Ashley Lambert-Maberly marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Ventriloquist
Ventriloquist marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Rob Farkey
Rob Farkey is currently reading it
May 11, 2016
Harald Felgner
Harald Felgner marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
  • Scepticism and Animal Faith
  • Science and Method
  • Asimov on Numbers
  • Induction and Analogy in Mathematics
  • Human Nature and Conduct
  • Mathematics for the Million: How to Master the Magic of Numbers
  • The Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe: The Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art, and Science
  • Epitome of Copernican Astronomy and Harmonies of the World
  • Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning
  • Principia Mathematica to '56 (Mathematical Library)
  • The Geometry of René Descartes: with a Facsimile of the First Edition
  • The Works of Archimedes
  • Conceptual Mathematics: A First Introduction To Categories
  • Where is Science Going?
  • The Thirteen Books of the Elements, Vol. 1
  • Experimental Researches in Electricity
  • Art and Scholasticism With Other Essays
  • Basic Category Theory for Computer Scientists
Alfred North Whitehead, OM FRS (15 February 1861 – 30 December 1947) was an English mathematician and philosopher. He is best known as the defining figure of the philosophical school known as process philosophy, which today has found application to a wide variety of disciplines, including ecology, theology, education, physics, biology, economics, and psychology, among other areas.

In his early care
More about Alfred North Whitehead...

“The study of mathematics is apt to commence in disappointment... We are told that by its aid the stars are weighed and the billions of molecules in a drop of water are counted. Yet, like the ghost of Hamlet's father, this great science eludes the efforts of our mental weapons to grasp it.” 20 likes