This Will Change Everything

This Will Change Everything

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"What game-changing scientific ideas and developments do you expect to live to see?"

This is the question John Brockman, publisher of Edge.org, posed to more than 100 of the world's most influential minds. Exhilarating, visionary, sometimes frightening, but always fascinating, their responses provide an eye-opening road map of our near future.
Published December 22nd 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about This Will Change Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Will Change Everything

Daniel Solera
I bought this book thinking it would be a series of ten to twenty essays, each focusing on one particular product or concept and how its contribution to society will be magnified by future technological advancements. I was right about most of that guess - I was wrong about the number of authors. Not ten or twenty, but one hundred and twenty five scholars lend their voice to this compilation, each expounding on one or many changes they believe will happen in the coming decades that will, as the t...more
Ophelia3339
This particular book contains a bunch of artists and scientists doing a lot of lofty predicting. Not that I'm against high altitude thinking I guess I more concerned with the practical things. When will dinner be ready is what I'm hearing most not when will AI make it possible to solve the world's problems. Some things can be done but I wonder if some things should be done. Who exactly is going to carry out the practical aspects of advanced technology? Who are the boots on the ground?
Kerry
This is a book that I would recommend without hesitation. Imagine the opportunity in 1641 to ask Galileo--what in your opinion would change everything. Or in 1687 to ask Newton what will change everything? This book poses the question to a range of recognized contemporary individuals--what in your mind will change everything. The book is quite accessible because the posts contained here are submitted with a mind to brevity. And while the editing seems to sequence articles to their subject matter...more
Dr. Carl Ludwig Dorsch

An orange, puffed cheese flavored product.

“Nobody ever voted for printing. Nobody ever voted for electricity. Nobody ever voted for radio, the telephone, the automobile, the airplane, television. Nobody ever voted for penicillin, antibiotics, the Pill. Nobody ever voted for space travel, massively parallel computing, nuclear power, the personal computer, the Internet, email, cell phones, the Web, Google, cloning, sequencing the entire human genome.”

That from the preface; would that the volume...more
Nathan
I would not recommend reading this book in a week. The numerous brief essays are much more suited for a "one-per-day" approach, giving the reader (at least this one) time to appreciate the material presented.

I enjoyed many of the essays and the broad range of topics covered. Overall, I came away with a feeling that they were too frequent and too brief. However, I will be digging deeper into the works of several authors.

In the end, I would recommend this collection and have specific plans to so....more
Dltharp
Good views from a variety of thinkers. There is a reference to a website www.edge.org that has more of a collection of questions that are answered by lots of smart people and other books like this one.
Chris
(Accidentally left on an airplane, had to buy a new copy, took a bit longer to finish...)

Good stuff. Whereas Brockman's "Science At The Edge" had maybe a dozen or two longer, more in-depth essays, this work was a tapas menu of 1-5 page essays, all bite-sized, on what various Edge members thought would change everything. It was certainly slanted to what scientific/technological breakthrough would do that, but some writers found some more esoteric/creative ideas to introduce. There were several us...more
John Baker
This is such a great collection of essays and such a great idea for a collection it is hard to start.

Simply going out to such a list of scientists, thinkers, artists and business people with the simple question "what would change everything?" is smart. Keeping the answers short is smarter. Being able to then group them by discipline since people do like to talk about what they know makes it really work.

I like being able to snack on ideas when you need some intellectual inspiration.
Carrie
So... I checked this out of the library and only had time to get through a few of the essays. What seemed to be said in more than one (and an idea I've been coming across in different places) is that we as humans are going to have to change our way of thinking about humanity. Given that cloning, gene manipulation, and part-human/part-animal and part-human/part-machine combos are happening now, we should probably start loosening up on our definition of humanity and expand our ethics to include an...more
Oyster
We wouldn’t urge you to read 150 answers to one question unless it was a really good question. You’ll come away from Brockman’s survey on the future of science and technology feeling like you just attended the most interesting cocktail party of your life.
David Cooper
A fun book to take with you - a collection of short essays by some great minds. Easy to read a few pages at a time and pick up later on.
Ondřej Sýkora
I'm still somewhere in the first quarter and I'm not going to return to this book.

Each time, I picked it up I read an essay or two, but somehow, I can't make myself read more of them. When buying, I've expected something more coherent, not a collection of short essays. But they're probably not even essays. Each "chapter" is only a few pages long, so they are very shallow and usually there's nothing to think about, no interesting arguments to support it, many of them does not try to view the prob...more
Dena Burnett
Enjoyable "convenient" read.
It's set up in a series of some short, some a little longer essay-type readings; making it easy for busy people like myself who may only have 5-10 minutes to sit down and read something thoughtful, but quick.

Some essays are worth reading, discussing, and thinking about; others, although well-written, seem like the ideas were simply thrown together, making your mind leap to some pretty out-there ideas.

I recommend it for busy people who still want to indulge in a lit...more
Hrvoje
Knjiga brojnim znanstvenicima/tehnolozima postavlja jedno jednostavno pitanje: "Što će promijeniti sve u budućnosti?". Ideja je sjajna,postaviti nekim od najvećih umova današnjice isto pitanje i gledati njihove odgovore. Moj problem s ovom knjigom leži u tome što je jednostavno previše osoba odgovaralo na pitanje (njih oko 130), tako da je svatko dobio po max. 3 stranice da se izrazi što je u svakom slučaju nedovoljno, kada bi broj smanjili na 30 ljudi koji mogu detaljnije razviti svoju viziju,...more
Vicky
Here is a very interesting book, the collection of short essays by the prominent scientists, who contemplate the future of humanity. At the end the some of the possible scenarios for the future made me really depressed. There are so many ways that we can destroy ourselves, the planet, the climate, our biology that the optimistic outcomes are pale in comparison. Regardless the pessimism, the book is full of amazing ideas and opens wide horizons into the possible futures
Adrienna
As I started reading this book, first few contributing writers and pieces were focused on "evolution" which abruptly and adamantly disagree with this philosophy of humanity.

I skimmed through the book until I came to a section "talents" on page 160-161. There were a few interesting pieces but not what I bargained to read or accidentally picked up this copy at my local library.
Dmitriy Nikitin
Having read the book, the third biggest predictions of what will change the word are computers, genetics, and aliens. I was particularly disappointed in several of the contributions that were a sentence long, I'm looking at you, Gerald Holton. All in all, an interesting book that's worth skimming over, seeing as how many of the contributions are repetitive.
Lindsay Goto
It's a fascinating collection of short essays on the future of humanity, grouped by what people think will be the next invention which will change our future irrevocably. Despite the dim projections of some of its writers, there is also a lot of hope bundled up in one book. It was an interesting read to be sure.
Ken
a good sampling of ideas out there. Average entry length of a bout 2-3 pg, good intro to an idea but limited in details. Recommended for "ideas" junkie or writers looking for ideas.

Cyrus
There are over 100 essays in this book and many of them are very similar. The editor could have easily whittled that number down to the 40-50 most original predictions.
Knemlich
Want to learn about cutting-edge science and what it might yield in the future? This is the place to start. These writers bring science to life for any reader.
Mark Love
If you read the chapter on so-called post-rational economics, you will know all you need to about what a turd this book is.
Jesse
Love the series, am not particularly impressed with the book.
BAKU
Very helpful ( now have to read ten more books however ... )
Corey
This book is pretty insightful. A pretty interesting read.
Brian
Good thoughts from the famous.
Simon
Yeh ok DNA we get it.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Derek Neighbors
Derek Neighbors marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
  • Co-Opetition
  • Confessions of an Eco-Sinner: Tracking Down the Sources of My Stuff
  • Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day
  • The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia
  • The Tyranny of Dead Ideas: Letting Go of the Old Ways of Thinking to Unleash a New Prosperity
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • Crowdsourcing: Why the Power of the Crowd Is Driving the Future of Business
  • What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • Supercooperators: The Mathematics of Evolution, Altruism and Human Behaviour {Or, Why We Need Each Other to Succeed}
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Made From Scratch: A Memoir
  • Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life
  • People Are Idiots and I Can Prove It!: The 10 Ways You Are Sabotaging Yourself and How You Can Overcome Them
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
With a broad career spanning the fields of art, science, books, software and the Internet. In 1960 he established the bases for "intermedia kinetic environments" in art, theatre and commerce, while consulting for clients such as General Electric, Columbia Pictures, The Pentagon, The White House... In 1973 he formed his own literary and software agency. He is founder of the Edge Foundation and edit...more
More about John Brockman...
This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking What We Believe But Cannot Prove: Today's Leading Thinkers on Science in the Age of Certainty This Explains Everything: Deep, Beautiful, and Elegant Theories of How the World Works What Is Your Dangerous Idea?: Today's Leading Thinkers on the Unthinkable What Should We Be Worried About?: The Hidden Threats Nobody Is Talking about (and False Fears Everyone Is Distracted By)