Start by marking “Minx (Splendid Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Minx (Splendid Trilogy, #3)

Minx (The Splendid Trilogy #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  8,555 ratings  ·  338 reviews
It takes a minx to tempt a rogue . . .

Henrietta Barrett has never followed the dictates of society. She manages her elderly guardian's remote Cornwall estate, wears breeches instead of frocks, and answers to the unlikely name of Henry. But when her guardian passes away, her beloved home falls into the hands of a distant cousin.

. . . And it takes a rogue to tame her

William
Published September 7th 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Minx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minx

Deniz
I seriously, seriously enjoyed this book.
Quite simply, I love it!
Minx was funny, sweet and romantic, the characters were so descriptively written and well developed.
A true romance book with the happy ending.
I highly recommend this book,as well as the rest of J. Quinn's work.
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
Belle clapped her hands together. How delightful! Dunford had just come into an unexpected inheritance. She rather hoped it was something good. One of her friends had just unwillingly inherited thirty-seven cats.

This novel started out as the perfect lazy night in. It was thoroughly entertaining and Julia Quinn has once again managed to include a few subtle barbs at her own profession of romance novel writing.

“How about this. La, sir, but you should not call me sweetheart.”
“It’s a start, but if
Jenny E
Re-read December 10-11, 2012 - just re-read this book, and I don't know what the hell I was thinking!! Probably a three star book for me this time. The conflict was annoying and there wasn't enough action, too much talk!

------------------------------

January 2012: I think this is officially my favorite Julia Quinn book! I LOVED this book so much. I could not stop laughing throughout.

These two characters, Henry and Dunford, will definitely go down in my all-time favorite couple category for sure.
valee
Well, this was a book I really, really enjoyed. The beginning was terrific. So much fan, and the main couple is great. The hero is super entertaining and charming, while the heroine has a very strong personality and a great sense of humor. Both of them together share an amazing chemistry which will make you wanna read one page right after the other. I loved this book, loved that there were not stupid reasons for them to be apart as in other books from this author were the characters fight becaus ...more
Nefise
Because of the misunderstanding part at the en of the story, I decided to give 3 stars. Before of that part the story was quite good, funny. I like hero and heroine friendship and honest conversation. But unfortunately last part didn't make sense with the story.
Linds
Apr 06, 2010 Linds rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Georgia Heyer's These Old Shades
After being underwhelmed by Quinn's Brighter than the Sun this book was such a pleasant surprise. I do love a good historical romance!

Dunford, a happy bachelor inherits a title and an estate unexpectedly from a distant cousin. When he arrives, he finds that the estate being overseen by a "distant poor relation." Henrietta is an odd, charming woman who runs the estate like a man, wearing pants and working hard.

Henrietta hates Dunsford on principal. She fears he will usurp her after all her hard w
Tiko
*sigh*
it doent need any more comments...
or maybe it does...
i laughed so much :D
dont listen to anyone who says that bridgertones are julia quinns best books...
those are truly fantastic but this one... omg... it was certainly no less fantastic...
you could say that this book had 3 parts
1st was veeery funny and i loled a lot :D
2nd was funny too but not as much as first and was much more full of actions( i guess it begins when they go to london)
3rd part was soo sweet and lovely...
s
IzamaRi H. Fabela
Dunford es un hombre sínico que no cree en el amor a pesar de ser testigo de cómo sus amigos se fueron enamorando. Él cree que no podrá encontrar el amor para sí mismos, así que hace una apuesta con sus amigos la cual consiste en seguir un año más soltero.
Esto no presenta ningún problema para el Don Juan, o al menos así era hasta que descubre que un pariente lejano le dejo una herencia la cual viene con una propiedad llevada por una peculiar mujercita….

Henry es una huérfana que ha vivido la mita
Anna D.
You know how sometimes you watch a movie because you’re favorite actor is in it? That’s how I feel about this book. Dunford is my favorite Quinn hero - based on his role in all three books of the Splendid series and his cameo in How to Marry a Marquis - but Minx is not my favorite Quinn book. Don’t get me wrong, this book still earned my 5 star rating. It's quite entertaining and a recommended read especially for Quinn fans. I loved 90% of the book (see my dislike below for the other 10%)

Becaus
Pepa
En realidad 3.5

No es de los mejores de la Quinn, pero tiene algunas escenas divertidas, sobre todo al principio. Me ha gustado el personaje de ella, aunque engaña un poco y pensamos que es una mujer independiente, en el fondo le falta seguridad. Un personaje complejo.
Como la mayoría de los de esta mujer, el enamoramiento es muy rápido
Susanne
I loved Henry. I loved this fresh, unusual historical romance. It was utterly delightful and I loved seeing Henry blossom into a swan. But I don't like stupid misunderstandings that can be easily resolved. Otherwise, this would have been a sparkling five star.

I am a sucker for Pygmalion themed books and it was a pure delight following Henry's journey from independent tomboy to equally independent Incomparable beauty. I loved loved the interaction with the ton. And I loved the side characters and
Sophie
Henrietta (who goes by Henry) lives at an estate in Cornwall where the owner has just died. The owner had been distant from the running of the place, so Henry (who wears men's clothes) has been running it for years. Now a very distant relative of the previous owner, William Dunlath (who only goes by Dunlath), owns the place.

Henry is convinced to drive him off so that she can run the place in peace. She makes a valiant effort by doing such things as waking up super early in the morning, convinci
Catarina
Esta review não podia sair mais a quente. Foi pousar o livro e começar a escrever. Que dizer?? Adorei a Henry e o Dunford, claro. Desta trilogia, foi sem dúvida o que me fez rir mais com as picardias, com o sarcasmo. Foi o que me fez sorrir quase todo o tempo. O que me fez sonhar com a história, estranhamente. Queria tanto, tanto que nada estragasse este sentimento. Queria tanto ter-me sentido apenas feliz enquanto lia, que agora escrevo e quase quero chorar. Mais sincera não podia ser. Por que, ...more
Nancy - Vanille
Mucho mejor, esta es la Julia Quinn que yo conozco! Tiene un estilo bastante mas dulce que el primero y el drama de la segunda mitad en lugar de resultarme insoportable como los dos anteriores, me parecio muy muy tierno.
Dunford como personaje me encanto desde Splendid y admito que pense que el podria ser el interes amoroso de Belle, pero tras leer esta historia me queda claro que con Belle no habia sido tan bonito del modo que fue con Henry.
Y Henry me parecio muy divertida en su faceta de campo,
Sabrina Jeffries
Not only is JQ enormously funny, but her heroines are always tremendously likeable and this one is no exception. This book made me laugh a lot, but also made me cry and that's no small feat, believe me.
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
And with this book, I say goodbye to yet another series by one of my favorite historical romance authors. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Was it life changing? Not exactly. But it certainly was enjoyable, or perhaps I'm biased because it's Julia Quinn we're talking about here, and let's face it, I'm never letting go of anything by her.

The story starts off just around the same time as the previous one has ended, where our hero Dunford -whose first name is a well known mystery- receives news that a distant r
Lori McD
I enjoyed many facets of this book, but I can't say that I enjoyed the book as a whole. The quirky, funny, witty, falling-in-love parts were almost overshadowed by TBM pain & angst. And the back-and-forth inner dialogs that both Dunstan and Henry (Henrietta) have with themselves became endlessly maddening.

Dunstan and Henry are perfect for one another. And perhaps discovering that so early on in the story is what made the rest of it seem to drag. Because, after all, Henry is a little miss fro
Annie
Nina Ivanova
Full review/Пълно ревю - Click, click :)

Следпрочитно:
Както бе споменато предпрочитно, имах големи очаквания за тази книга и с бях подготвила за един грандиозен финал на трилогията. Още от анотацията ми хареса идеята за малката дивачка, която иска да бие шута на Дън. Даже се бях нагласила за нещо а ла „Укротяване на опърничавата“ (което със сигурност е най- любимото ми Шекспирово нещо).
Но в това отношение останах разочарована. Не получих своята Беатриче.
Хенри наистина е сладка героиня, особено
Dawn
I have liked all of Julia Quinn's books that I have read. But this one really touched my heart.

We have already come to know Dunford from the previous books. He is a charmer and a rake. Determined never to marry, he inherits a title and a small estate in Cornwall from a very distant unknown relative. He also finds out he has become the guardian of Henrietta, known as Henry, who had been taken in by the previous owners when she was 8. She was the niece of the lady of the estate who had died six y
Regina
I liked this much, much more than the first book!

Dunford was, well, a charming character. I've wanted to read about him from the moment I encountered him in Emma and Alex's tale. Henry was not a typical heroine and I just enjoyed the way her relationship with Dunford developed, especially during the first few chapters. Their banter was quick and easy and natural, and I loved that they didn't immediately fall for each other.

Perhaps the only thing that irked me a bit was how Henry acted in the la
Kimberly
This was the third in a series focusing on William Dunford- a strong character in other two novels "Splendid" and "Dancing at Midnight." The heroine is Henrietta Barrett, "Henry" a charming character whose been living in the country managing a farm. William becomes her guardian, friend and lover. Sweet story but Henry was TOO Insecure- didn't like that. Also, everything was too perfect that the mistress mistake seemed too obvious as a way to cause tension. Most of the story, however, was fun and ...more
Allie
If you follow my books, you know I love me some Julia Quinn. They are always light and fun, well written and easy to read. The basic formula stays the same- but sometimes you need a good story that doesn't make your head hurt with twists and turns. Quinn always adds some 'conflict' which is always resolved- but I'm a sucker for a good Regency Romance. I also like "running into" familiar characters that also frequent Grosvenor Square from previous novels.
Nath
Brittany
Good romance all around. Had a few twists and turns to make it a little unconventional. I really liked Henry's personality and it's refreshing when you read a lot of romances with boring typical Victorian era women! I also liked the Guardian aspect. I haven't read a book yet where the guardian falls in love with his ward. Shocking I know, considering all the romance books I read. Anyway, great third story in the Splendid trilogy. You see the other characters from the first two books. As always w ...more
Mei
Much, much better than Dancing at Midnight!
The first ppart is very good, the second so and so because they bot fell into the same stereotype romance where the woman is helpless and weak. But still it was good!
Rose
Everything was going ok till the absolutely horrible and sexually violent last 50 pages, very disappointed in Julia Quinn for this one.
Amber
I would have given this book a solid 4.5 if it hadn't been for the last 60 pages or so. The last quarter of the books is worth MAYBE one star and has some pretty problematic elements. It's like the author wrote this sweet, wonderful love story and then went "Oh, I still have to write 50 more pages! How do I fuck this relationship up?". Then she had to toss in a few more pages to resolve the idiotic problem she created.
I really enjoy Julia Quinn overall, she creates engaging characters and her d
Artemis
I completely ADORE this novel! The female protagonist is your earlier feminist, she's cute, daring and just so lovable! I immediately fell in love with our leading man, Dunford! I really enjoyed the chemistry between our two main characters. I got so wrapped up in this book I didn't want to put it down. I wanted a change from PNR and I am so glad I picked out this Historical Romance. It was sweet and has it's fair share of squeal worthy scenes. Quinn has woven characters with substance and the p ...more
  • Where's My Hero?  (Gamblers, #3 / Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5 / Splendid, #3.5)
  • Devil Takes a Bride (Knight Miscellany, #5)
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an ...more
More about Julia Quinn...

The Splendid Trilogy (3 books)
  • Splendid (The Splendid Trilogy, #1)
  • Dancing at Midnight (The Splendid Trilogy, #2)
The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1) When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)

“You don't always have to kiss a lot of frogs to recognize a prince when you find one

-Henrietta Barett”
119 likes
“Sometimes Hen...I think I would give my life just for one of your smiles.” 73 likes