Start by marking “Reel Culture: 50 Movies You Should Know About (So You Can Impress Your Friends)” as Want to Read:
Reel Culture: 50 Movies You Should Know About (So You Can Impress Your Friends)

Reel Culture: 50 Movies You Should Know About (So You Can Impress Your Friends)

Teens love movies. But when we start talking about the movies from last century, they're often in the dark. Reel Culture is for the young person who is curious about film history, and wants to be the one at the party who knows what Casablanca was about or who first made the LBD (little black dress) hot in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. From Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory t ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Zest Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Reel Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reel Culture

Melissa
Nov 07, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was so much fun to read. In addition to being an avid reader, I'm a total movie addict. I've seen all but 6 of the 50 movies discussed in the book. Each movie has a short chapter which gives a summary of the plot, memorable quotes and then explains what the "fuss" is about with that particular film. It also includes a list of the lead actors, directors and a few other movies they've done.

The final bit in each chapter is a page covering what people still talk about in regards to that m
BAYA Librarian
Jul 28, 2010 BAYA Librarian rated it really liked it
Fifty movies are profiled in three pages each, focusing on how that movie influence popular culture – movies that are often spoofed on The Simpsons or South Park, or are often quoted, or those that spawned other movies. These are not the 50 best films, but those that seem to resonant in the zeitgeist: how Rebel Without a Cause inspired other teen films and TV series such as Happy Days, or how Airplane inspired other movie spoofs from Scary Movie to Shaun of the Dead. Most are from the 1970’s and ...more
Phair
I enjoy pop culture and think cultural literacy is an important thing so I devour books that make me feel I'm up on my cultural heritage (yep, I knew that) or fill in gaps (well, now I know). This book is aimed at young people to fill them in on "classic" movies that have contributed quotes or references that regularly turn up in print, conversation, or in current film & TV. It was in a breezy, easy to digest format that gave a synopsis, key factoids about the production and its importance, ...more
Cindy Griffin
Jan 17, 2011 Cindy Griffin rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book that I enjoyed reading through. The trivia is interesting and written in such a way to be interesting for young adult/teen readers. The movies included are classics that never go out of style. They vary from children's movies to adult movies, comedy to horror. The pictures associated with each movie are high quality and give the reader a glimpse into the content.
Fernando
Apr 13, 2012 Fernando rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Film lovers and filmmakers
Shelves: film
I really enjoyed this book. It contains almost eighty years of movie history. Each of the 50 movies in this book contains three pages of the most important information you need to know about each book:

- What the movie is about
- Who's in It?
- Why all the fuss? (facts and more production details)
- The stuff people still talk about
Brenda Kahn
Apr 11, 2013 Brenda Kahn rated it really liked it
I picked this one up a while ago for one of my sons who had been taking some film classes. He left it behind so I read it. Didn't count how many I'd seen, but was happy to be familiar with many. Fun, quick read.
Sue
Oct 21, 2012 Sue rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012
I enjoyed it fine, but I didn't find myself wanting to go out and watch any of the movies that I hadn't already seen. Plus, there were no real surprises, either. I really did enjoy the structure, though - What it's about, Why all the fuss, The stuff people still talk about.
Glory
Mar 20, 2015 Glory rated it really liked it
Shelves: film
A little book that accomplishes what it sets out to do: Provide a crash course in film culture, focusing not on critical hits but the films that actually seeped into modern culture or made a huge impact on films thereafter. It's entertaining, fun, and truly informative.
Stephanie
May 19, 2010 Stephanie rated it liked it
I usually don't read list books. They make me re-think what it is that I like. This was an okay book. I have to say that I have never seen Rocky and I don't think that I will. Book is good for a quick read however. Take it with a couple of grains of salt.
Charli
Jan 25, 2010 Charli rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, non-fic
Enjoyable and fairly encompassing. A few editing mistakes keeps this from being a 5 star book.
Joan
Dec 29, 2011 Joan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A great introduction to all the
Movies you should see and why. The book does a nice job of teaching about the cultural references each movie has contributed.
Elizabeth
Aug 25, 2010 Elizabeth added it
Review at Reality Rules
Elizabeth
May 09, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Fun book of movies recommended to teens.
2010 School Visit Book talk
Electricblue
Oct 06, 2010 Electricblue rated it really liked it
Good small book about some of the greatest movies of all time....
Ashleigh
Nov 04, 2015 Ashleigh rated it liked it
It was ok in the sense that it gave a short synopsis of 50 classic films, but at times I felt like it was written for teenagers. Still learned some new things and highlighted films to watch.
Tracy Tibbels
Feb 14, 2012 Tracy Tibbels rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this quite a bit. I learner a fee interesting tidbits and was pleased to see that I have already seen the majority of these movies!
Huitzi Herrera-Sobal
Huitzi Herrera-Sobal rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2010
Ceara Heffernan
Ceara Heffernan rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2017
Maya
Maya rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Ariana
Ariana rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Gemma Froster
Gemma Froster rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Sandy Belfi
Sandy Belfi rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2010
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Orsayor
Orsayor rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Farrah
Farrah rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2011
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2011
Anastasia
Anastasia rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2010