Start by marking “Reel Culture: 50 Movies You Should Know About (So You Can Impress Your Friends)” as Want to Read:
Reel Culture: 50 Movies You Should Know About (So You Can Impress Your Friends)

Reel Culture: 50 Movies You Should Know About (So You Can Impress Your Friends)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Teens love movies. But when we start talking about the movies from last century, they're often in the dark. Reel Culture is for the young person who is curious about film history, and wants to be the one at the party who knows what Casablanca was about or who first made the LBD (little black dress) hot in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. From Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory t ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Zest Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Reel Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reel Culture

Melissa
This book was so much fun to read. In addition to being an avid reader, I'm a total movie addict. I've seen all but 6 of the 50 movies discussed in the book. Each movie has a short chapter which gives a summary of the plot, memorable quotes and then explains what the "fuss" is about with that particular film. It also includes a list of the lead actors, directors and a few other movies they've done.

The final bit in each chapter is a page covering what people still talk about in regards to that m
BAYA Librarian
Fifty movies are profiled in three pages each, focusing on how that movie influence popular culture – movies that are often spoofed on The Simpsons or South Park, or are often quoted, or those that spawned other movies. These are not the 50 best films, but those that seem to resonant in the zeitgeist: how Rebel Without a Cause inspired other teen films and TV series such as Happy Days, or how Airplane inspired other movie spoofs from Scary Movie to Shaun of the Dead. Most are from the 1970’s and ...more
Phair
I enjoy pop culture and think cultural literacy is an important thing so I devour books that make me feel I'm up on my cultural heritage (yep, I knew that) or fill in gaps (well, now I know). This book is aimed at young people to fill them in on "classic" movies that have contributed quotes or references that regularly turn up in print, conversation, or in current film & TV. It was in a breezy, easy to digest format that gave a synopsis, key factoids about the production and its importance, ...more
Cindy Griffin
This was a fun book that I enjoyed reading through. The trivia is interesting and written in such a way to be interesting for young adult/teen readers. The movies included are classics that never go out of style. They vary from children's movies to adult movies, comedy to horror. The pictures associated with each movie are high quality and give the reader a glimpse into the content.
Fernando
Apr 13, 2012 Fernando rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Film lovers and filmmakers
Shelves: film
I really enjoyed this book. It contains almost eighty years of movie history. Each of the 50 movies in this book contains three pages of the most important information you need to know about each book:

- What the movie is about
- Who's in It?
- Why all the fuss? (facts and more production details)
- The stuff people still talk about
Sue
I enjoyed it fine, but I didn't find myself wanting to go out and watch any of the movies that I hadn't already seen. Plus, there were no real surprises, either. I really did enjoy the structure, though - What it's about, Why all the fuss, The stuff people still talk about.
Stephanie
I usually don't read list books. They make me re-think what it is that I like. This was an okay book. I have to say that I have never seen Rocky and I don't think that I will. Book is good for a quick read however. Take it with a couple of grains of salt.
Brenda Kahn
I picked this one up a while ago for one of my sons who had been taking some film classes. He left it behind so I read it. Didn't count how many I'd seen, but was happy to be familiar with many. Fun, quick read.
Joan
A great introduction to all the
Movies you should see and why. The book does a nice job of teaching about the cultural references each movie has contributed.
Tracy Tibbels
Enjoyed this quite a bit. I learner a fee interesting tidbits and was pleased to see that I have already seen the majority of these movies!
Charli
Enjoyable and fairly encompassing. A few editing mistakes keeps this from being a 5 star book.
Electricblue
Good small book about some of the greatest movies of all time....
Elizabeth
Fun book of movies recommended to teens.
2010 School Visit Book talk
Angela Boccuzzi-Reichert
Check out my book trailer at mwbooktalk.blogspot.com
'sylvie'
'sylvie' marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Daria Intheskyy
Daria Intheskyy marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Micaaa
Micaaa marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Will Oxtoby
Will Oxtoby marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
City of Bones: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion Shadowhunter's Guide: City of Bones City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) The Dictionary of Corporate Bullshit: An A to Z Lexicon of Empty, Enraging, and Just Plain Stupid Office Talk