Start by marking “Pretty Good Years: A Biography of Tori Amos” as Want to Read:
Pretty Good Years: A Biography of Tori Amos

Pretty Good Years: A Biography of Tori Amos

(Book). How did the shy and conflicted daughter of a minister become one of today's most important artists? Tori Amos is a unique voice in rock. She is an artist, a poet, an emotional chanteuse, a wordsmith, a pianist, and most of all, an entertainer who has opened herself up to her audience in a way most musicians would never dare. Tori Amos was a musical prodigy, so tale ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Good Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Good Years

Heather
Jan 29, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
To begin with, I felt bad reading a book that was not an authorized biography of Tori Amos, but it was bought for me as a gift, and so I read it. I of course wondered what made the author qualified to write a book on Tori and discovered it was because he interviewed her in the early days. That is it. He interviewed her in about 1992. Other than that the entire book is based on a compilation of magazine articles and his own opinion. I did appreciate having much of the information for the numerous ...more
Casey Kiser
Jul 27, 2011 Casey Kiser rated it it was amazing
This is the best book on Tori's life that I have read so far, besides her own book of course. I have read it several times and I just can't part with it. Includes stunning photos from over the years. This one will not disappoint Tori fans.
Grace
Oct 30, 2007 Grace rated it liked it
Long have I waited to read a biography on my favorite musician, Tori Amos. This book offers good facts but has a distant feel to the writing, contrary to the intimacy Amos embodies in her art. I wish this telling of her story would be more creative instead of a list of dates and quotes.
Adrian
Jul 30, 2010 Adrian rated it it was ok
Not entirely accurate or well-written, but worth having and the obvious love the author has for Tori is endearing.
Robyn
Dec 23, 2007 Robyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Toriphiles
I rarely say that I could write a particular book better than its author, because I know how hard it is to write a book. However, I'm certain that I could edit this book better! There are numerous typos, run on sentences, and grammatical mistakes.

You can tell that the author is a magazine writer. His prose is quite lengthy and he editorializes. The book is split into chapters loosely based on Tori's albums. They begin with the author explaining what was going on in Tori's life at the time. Then,
Matt Fox
Feb 21, 2008 Matt Fox rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Tori fans
This would qualify as a more up-to-date tell-all of Tori Amos, my absolute favorite musician. While it gives a lot of insight into Tori's career and life it, at times, completely ignores and fails to address aspects that she emphasizes on in her autobiography Tori Amos: Piece by Piece, such as the awful battles with Atlantic Records she had in the late 90's.

Also, the book lacks balance in its telling in that it provides a lot of detail on the early parts of her career, but as the book progresse
Rem
May 16, 2015 Rem rated it it was amazing
Definitely should be read along with 'Piece by Piece' by Tori Amos and Ann powers. This is a more brief look at her life and career. Although I do appreciate the bibliography and all the sources and materials at the end of the book.
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2008
Lana
Lana rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2015
Jaclyn Byelick
Jaclyn Byelick rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2008
Brianne Lawler
Brianne Lawler rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Meghan Sochocki
Meghan Sochocki rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2010
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Carolyn Ryan
Carolyn Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Sheri
Sheri rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2008
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2008
Jamie Roberts
Jamie Roberts rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2012
tarabumface
tarabumface rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2009
Britten
Britten rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2008
Michal
Michal rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Jimi
Jimi rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Jerome
Jerome rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2009
Marilee Arnold medearis
Marilee Arnold medearis rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Jessica Gray
Jessica Gray rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2013
Dee Louise
Dee Louise rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2017
Melissa Brockman
Melissa Brockman rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2009