Start by marking “Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Raising Children for Fun and Profit” as Want to Read:
Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Raising Children for Fun and Profit

Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Raising Children for Fun and Profit

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,116 ratings  ·  121 reviews

When does 1 + 1 = 3 (or more)? When you've got a baby on the way.

Part of that new math, says #1 New York Times bestselling author Jill Conner Browne -- whom USA Today calls "just plain funny" -- includes the addition of an outsize sense of humor to balance the equation of your growing family.

The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Raising Children for Fun and Profit is a hi...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Raising Children for Fun and Profit

Becky
This book was a hilarious child guide. I seriously laughed out loud and found myself sharing things with my husband several time. But there were a couple things that kept me from loving it. First of all, I skipped a couple chapters because I felt the subjects were inappropriate (specifically the chapter on boy's parts, potty training, & sex talk). Second, the author uses a lot of profanity. She even says (in her chapter about kids cussing): "My language would practically qualify me to be the...more
Melissa
I've read just about all the previous books of this series, but I hadn't read one in several years. I found this at a used book store on New Year's Eve, and it sure was a fun read that night and the next couple days. This is no serious literature, but it is pure fun. Read it only if you want nothing but to laugh. It will remind you not to take life too seriously.
Stephanie
Just finished listening to it on tape. It's pretty funny - don't let your kids listen to it - she uses a lot of 4 letter words! I really enjoyed hearing how to get your kids to come in on time when they are older. One mother would go to sleep in her son's bed, so you know there's no getting around not waking her up! I'll have to keep that in mind for later...
L.
Mothers have a sort of solidarity that you find in groups like soldiers who have been in combat together or people who survived the same plane crash. You understand what they say because you have been there and, more importantly, what they don't say (because it doesn't not need to be said.) My son is eight and I teach junior/senior high school students. This book prompted me to remind my juniors that it is hard for a parent to watch her child grow up. The world is scary (we know from experience)...more
Stacey
Nov 13, 2008 Stacey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor and anyone how has kids or knows someone with kids.
Shelves: audio-book
This book was not as funny as previous SPQ books but I still enjoyed it and especially loved listening to the author read it. Every topic is covered from birth through young adulthood. Although I don't have children of my own, I was able to relate to the entire book either through experiences of my own or those of my closest friends.
I loved the chapter on cussing just for the pure reinforcement that children do, in fact, repeat EVERYTHING they hear. I also enjoyed the story of the Swiffer which...more
Donna Siebold
I listened to this book and was anticipating laughing my way down the highway. I did not. Maybe it is because I am not a parent. I've read most of Jill Conner Browne's other material and I usually laugh out loud. I've paid $150 to hear her speak and felt it was a good investment. I found her delivery annoying - and I did not hear that southern accent so strongly when she spoke in person. I thought the stories were just randomly inserted, sometimes I had to rewind the disk to figure out how the n...more
Holyn
So this is a hilarious look at pregnancy and parenting from the perspective of a humor writer from Mississippi (the Southern in her is definitely present...if you aren't used to some Southern expressions, just roll with them and you will get there :) ). Not only is the book sprinkled with the stories of the author's experiences as a mom but she adds many more stories from other 'Queens' from around the country. I laughed out loud for most of the book and had to read a few sections out loud to wh...more
Amanda
Really quick and funny book with stories about being a parent. The stories range from more serious topics to lighthearted ones, but always told with a touch of humor. The book made me laugh our loud numerous times and even the few stories I shared with my husband he found hilarious.
Tabby Kat
Beginning with the physical changes during pregnancy, she notes the joy of gaining big breasts until realizing that most everything south of them grows exponentially at the same time. There's even advice on talking to a pregnant woman. But fairly quickly, the baby is out and hungry At that point, there's a division between Alpha Moms (who make their own dirt from scratch) and Beta Moms (the one that Alpha Moms trust only to bring the paper towels and trash bags to the parties). Like a sassy bes...more
Jo Forrester
Sometimes you just need a good ol' belly laugh and this book is full of 'em. If you are raising children of any age you can read and fully enjoy this comical book and its unusual look at life.
I do love Sweet Potato Queens, the weather & SPQs tempt this Yankee to transplant down South, but this wasn't one of the better books. It was fine, had some mildly humorous moments, but I didn't laugh nearly as much as with other books. A few points feel a little too preachy, but that's the perk of writing a book, you can preach about how you think things should be done. Even though I didn't love this book, at times I felt more like I was getting unsolicited advice from a stranger at Walmart...more
Sarah Cook
Absolute must read!!! Even better as read by the author as an audiobook!!!!
Beth Chandler
Feb 25, 2008 Beth Chandler rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers, anyone who works with kids, anyone with a sense of humor
Shelves: humor
A howl, as usual for Sweet Potato Queen Jill Conner Browne. How to really scare young people into not having sex (one word: episiotomies), the paramount importance of Baby's (and Mom's) nap, easy and child-pleasing recipes (one is actually low-fat, a rarity for Sweet Potato Queens) and lots of laugh-out-loud stories about clueless prospective fathers, older siblings who want the baby brought back to Wal-Mart ("she must be broke--she won't stop crying") and, well, just give it a read.
Muriel
A little too southern and I'm from the south.
Audrey
I've had a soft spot in my heart for the SPQs for quite some time. Although Kentucky isn't considered the Deep South, it's close enough that most of what she writes (and HOW she says it) is as familiar to me as my own voice (did I really just admit to that?) ;) Anyway, parts of this were quite amusing, and there were tons of things that I recognized from my own childhood, but she didn't really cover any new ground here.
Mendy
I loved this book!!! I can't say enough! Like I said a look at motherhood that makes Beta mom's feel good! I so could relate to this book even the parts about teens, since so many of my friends are at this point right now!

Finally a child raisin' book for Beta moms! This book is driving my husband crazy. It makes me laugh out loud ALOT! Gotta love the sweet potatoe queens! I so wanna be one!!!
Jeanine
Whoo...was hard getting past the first few pages in this book. Jill Conner Browne really overdoes it with the italics and bold/caps that it almost drove me crazy! I'm one of those readers who 'hears' the emphasis on the words in my head and that just got annoying. Anyway, I'm past that point and so far it's proving to be just as enjoyable and laugh-out-loud as I've found her other books to be.
Kristin Harris
This book was given to me as a gift after our baby was born. After getting my head back in the game long enough to think, I decided to pick this little goody up during a late night feeding. I seldom laugh out loud at a book, but I cannot count the number of times the anecdotal tales within have had me in stitches. I HIGHLY recommend this book for any new, weary, terrified parent!
Stacey
I laughed my tush off to this. I had tears rolling down my face. My husband was wondering what I was reading or plotting against him. It was a great read, and a light read. I can't wait to see what her other books hold.
This is the best read for the woman just married and pregnant. Or maybe the mom of several who needs a good laugh at waht she does everyday.
Julie Addair
If you've read the other SPQ books, the latest installment is sure to please. Packed with funny anecdotes and stories from various queens, the guide is enjoyable reading even for someone without kids. As a tip, if you've never listened to one of Jill Connor Brown's books on tape/cd, I highly recommend it- her reading her own books is great!
Jennifer Locum
Funny and southern with some bonus wisdom.
"Hard to tell which upsets Fate more, bragging about her own kids or making snide remarks about other peoples'. Either way you're begging for a smack-down of the severest order."

"Nobody ever goes to the nursing home wishing they'd served on a few more committees or kept a cleaner house."
Erika
Humorous essays on having kids. Pretty funny stuff. Not sure why I rated it 4 stars instead of 5, except that I need to reserve 5 stars for the rare book that I wish would continue forever. But I would like to read more of her stuff. She's the kind of mom who's not perfect and doesn't make us feel guilty for not being perfect either.
Slim
I don't think I started to like this book until the end. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't my style. I need a more sarcastic pov to get engaged. I am a tough sell on memoirs, Jen Lancaster is the only one that I have found that makes me laugh out loud. That includes sedaris, I guess I am just a cynical b*t@h.
Oh my god I love these books. I've read most of them, and just finished this one. If you are a woman and have a sense of humor, I think it's impossible not to like these. This one was really meant for parents, but I still thought it was pretty funny. You will be a better person after reading them lol.
Carla_Collette
I made it through most of one disc, and I'm going to stop listening to this one. After reading her novel, I thought that I'd like her nonfiction better, and probably an audio read by the author even better than that, but it's really not striking me as that funny at this point in time.
Jacki
This short read was a nonfiction "guide" for surviving with children. Jill Conner Browne is hilarious and I liked this book, but not as well as her other ones. Also, I don't have children, so a lot of these things didn't relate to me. Oh well. It was still a light and funny read.
Jen Tucker
There are sweet potatoes. There are queens. Then there are Sweet Potato Queens and Jill Conner Browne is the hilarious leader of the tuber pack. You will love this walk through the journey of becoming a parent. It's honest, it's a little crass, and it is knee slapping funny. Enjoy!
Jane
Years ago, I bought the "SPQ Book of Love" on a whim. While at the library, I picked this up on a similar whim. This woman is a funny writer. Sometimes, her southerness gets a bit too much, but overall, entertaining. And, I basically agree with her thoughts on child-raising. So far.
Heather
Not as engaging as her other SPQ books. Also, her humorous overview of parenting sometimes veers off into rants about specific parenting methods, ie: whether or not to let children "cry it out." Still fun, and my husband is now enjoying it. More evily-delicious recipes included, too.
Rebecca
This was pretty funny. Once I got over the cutesy Southern dialect I enjoyed the hilarity. It even comes with yummy-sounding recipes which I wish I could eat, and there are even a few practical tips, some of which I wish I had known about while my own kids were younger.
  • Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments
  • Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide To Hosting the Perfect Funeral
  • Not Tonight, Honey: Wait 'Til I'm A Size 6
  • Suck Your Stomach In and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters that the Rest of Y'all Should Know Too
  • Southern Fried Divorce
  • A Southern Belle Primer, Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma
  • The Red Hat Club Rides Again
  • Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life
  • The Rock Orchard
  • The Thong Also Rises: Further Misadventures from Funny Women on the Road
  • Queen of the Oddballs: And Other True Stories from a Life Unaccording to Plan
  • The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death: Reflections on Revenge, Germophobia, and Laser Hair Removal
  • The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell
  • Bleachy-Haired Honky Bitch: Tales from a Bad Neighborhood
  • Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes
  • What Your Preschooler Needs to Know: Read-Alouds to Get Ready for Kindergarten (Core Knowledge)
  • It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman
Jill Conner Browne is the multiple #1 New York Times bestselling author of nine Sweet Potato Queens® books and has created a global phenomenon--6,200 chapter groups in 37 countries--based upon her philosophy and world-view as recounted through these rollicking, raucous and riotously funny essays. Women and smart men understand that the bawdy, sassy, down-to-earth humor is simply the vehicle by whi...more
More about Jill Conner Browne...
The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love God Save the Sweet Potato Queens The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, But Could Have, and May Yet The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men: Every Man I Love Is Either Married, Gay, or Dead The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner)