Start by marking “Digital Landscape Photography: In the Footsteps of Ansel Adams and the Great Masters” as Want to Read:

Ansel Adams (1902-1984) was a pioneer of landscape photography, whose imagery-especially his iconic views of the American National Parks--is widely published and instantly recognizable. While he is undoubtedly one of the best-loved and best-known visionaries of American art, photographers also recognize him as a pioneer of technique, a theoretician, and as one of the great ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Focal Press

To ask other readers questions about Digital Landscape Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digital Landscape Photography

Carlos Quijano
Mar 26, 2011 Carlos Quijano rated it it was ok
Shelves: photography
While this book has some wonderful images, I was a bit disappointed. It didn't provide me with any real knew knowledge to improve my photography. It lacked two things: first, it could have used some more Adams and Walker ; and second, it lacked analysis, in particular of those Adams and Walker images that are present in light of digital photography and how digital photography changes (or doesn't change) our approach to landscape photography. Nevertheless, it contains the best discussion of ...more
Annette
Aug 03, 2010 Annette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
As a keen budding photographer I picked this book out to gain some background & knowledge on landscape photography. I chose Ansel Adams to study for obvious reasons & in this book I first read about the zone system that Ansel Adams & Fred Archer developed.
As a quick read this book has given me heaps of vital first steps into capturing our landcape especially through watching the lighting. It also gives a small insight into the masters Ansel Adams, Edward Weston & Eliot Porter, w
John Orman
Jul 10, 2014 John Orman rated it it was amazing
Since this book has many photos taken by Ansel Adams in Yosemite, I used this book as one of my photo guides during my recent tour of Yosemite.

Adams was a great teacher of photographic technique and print development. This book describes Adams' Zone System as applied in the digital age. Michael Frye has provided many prints of landscape photos to demonstrate many techniques for improving our photographic vision.

Maurice
Nov 21, 2011 Maurice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
A great book about a great photographer by a great photographer. Ansel Adams is a master and his pictures show, just as Michael Frye is showing in his beautiful landscape images.

The hints and tips are very useful, and his thesis that post-processing was just as common in the darkroom as it is today, was an eyeopener ;-)

I marked this book as Read, but it will never leave my table!
Steve Losh
Aug 09, 2014 Steve Losh rated it liked it
If you're brand new to photography and want a book about landscapes, this is probably a good choice. It's pretty basic but still has plenty of good information. And it does refer back to Ansel Adams' work enough to give you some good ideas.

If you're an experienced photographer, skip this one and go straight to Adams' own books.
Kate
Nov 21, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
Thought this was excellent--really helpful, cornet examples of both shooting and post-processing for the best landscape photographs.
S Robinson
S Robinson rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
JW
JW rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Jaganath
Jaganath rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Stephanie Eardley
Stephanie Eardley rated it really liked it
May 03, 2013
Alia Capodici
Alia Capodici rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2014
Iggy
Iggy rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Patrick Kerwick
Patrick Kerwick rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Jagadeesh
Jagadeesh rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Robin Whalley
Robin Whalley rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2013
Paul Armstrong
Paul Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2014
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
Preston
Preston rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Corey
Corey rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Shankar Iyer
Shankar Iyer rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
Mitchell Colgan
Mitchell Colgan rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Ben Royal
Nov 23, 2011 Ben Royal rated it it was amazing
Outstanding, especially on use of Lightroom 3.
Drew Brereton
Drew Brereton rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2014
Johanna
Johanna rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2012
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
Donald S. Gauger
Donald S. Gauger rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Constance Wills
Constance Wills rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Tanmay Roy
Tanmay Roy rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm a professional photographer specializing in landscapes and nature.

I live in Mariposa, California, just outside Yosemite National Park with my wife Claudia (our son Kevin is just out of college), and have lived either in or near Yosemite since 1983.

I thoroughly enjoy teaching photography, sharing what I've learned over the years, and helping others express their photographic vision.

You can conn
More about Michael Frye...