Start by marking “The Fizzy Whiz Kid” as Want to Read:
The Fizzy Whiz Kid
Preview

The Fizzy Whiz Kid

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Readers will laugh along with all the misadventures—and sneak a peek behind the Hollywood curtain—in this sweet and funny novel.

When Mitchell Mathis moves to Hollywood with his academic parents, he soon realizes he’s the only ordinary kid in a school of the powerful and famous. There’s Skywalker Wong, whose parents are special effects gurus. And Julia Jodie Schwartz, named
Published March 1st 2010 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Fizzy Whiz Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fizzy Whiz Kid

Kristin Rosenberg
Mitch Mathis just moved to Hollywood, California, and started a new school. He quickly realizes that he is an outcast as he does not own a TV, his father is an entomologist, and he's never seen Star Wars. He auditions for a commercial, lands the part, and is suddenly popular. However, he has to decide if he truly wants to be himself, or if he wants to be a star.

I'm sorry, but from the couple chapters I read of this, I was not a fan. The characters are all so full of themselves, and even though
Heidi
Mar 30, 2011 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 10 and up
Shelves: humor, juv-fiction
Mitchell Christopher Mathis, who prefers Mitch, is a sixth-grader who has just moved to Hollywood, California from St. Paul, Minnesota. One of Mitch's hobbies is to make lists. On his "Ten Things Not To Do On The First Day Of School (Because They Make You Look Like A Jerk)" list, his most important thing is "DON'T STAND OUT".

However, that's exactly what happens when he starts at Cecil B. DeMille Elementary School. His name is a family name (after his grandfathers) unlike his classmates who are n
Louis C.
The Fizzy Whiz Kid is my ultimate favorite book of all time. I love it i am almost finished with it. I would recommend it for a person who likes comedy books because it has alot of funny sentences in the book. I would rate it a 10 on a scale from 1 to 10. Because its about a boy named Mitchell (Mitch) Mathis. Mitch signs up for an audition to be in a commercial for a soda called "Fizzy Whiz."

He got the part but only 1 little tiny sentence "You like bubbles" and then open a shaked soda and spra
Sandra Stiles
No one likes to be the "new" kid. When Mitch Mathis and his parents move to Hollywood, California he really feels like an outsider. All of the kids have parents who are involved in one way or another with the movies. That is all except Mitch. His father is a professor and studies cockroaches. To fit in Mitch auditions for a commercial and quickly learns that there are two sides to everything. One of the things I really liked about this book was the lists that Mitch was constantly making. When I ...more
Handd51
I loved the beginning - very funny and real. But the last half became didactic and flat. Fifth grader Mitchell Mathis has just moved again, this time to Hollywood CA, to start school after the beginning of the year. He has a list of things he has learned in his many moves to make things easier - but none of them work. And his father, the roach expert/scientist, "ruined his life" by coming to the classroom dressed as a - yes - roach. So Mitch goes to a casting call and gets picked to be the new W ...more
Sheryl
Jul 26, 2011 Sheryl added it
Shelves: kids-boys
The Fizzy Whiz Kid by Maiya Williams
When Mitchell Mathis moves to Hollywood with his academic parents, he soon realizes he’s the only ordinary kid in a school of the powerful and famous. In an attempt to feel like less of an outsider, Mitch goes to an open casting call, where he ends up being cast in a soda commercial that launches a popular catchphrase. Suddenly he’s on TV, signing autographs, and riding in limos. But when the ad starts getting negative attention and he doesn’t have time for hi
Reading Vacation
Sometimes I am in the mood for a funny book and this one was just what I needed. Mitch has a good sense of humor and his lists are hilarious. He is a good kid.
This book tells quite a bit about how commercials are filmed. I learned some new things. I had no idea that it took so long to film a 30 second commercial!
I can relate to Mitch’s story because I have been the new kid at school too. It is not easy to be the outsider and it can take awhile to make new friends. I remember being very nervous m
Cboatfield11
Mitch has just moved to Hollywood with his academia parents. As soon as he starts school he knows he does not fit in with the rest of the kids who have parents who are actors, directors, and agents. In order to enter their world and hopefully gain their acceptance, he auditions to be a commercial and lands the part. While his life as an actor is taking off his busy schedule begins to interfer with activities he could be doing with his new friends. You will learn some show biz terms while reading ...more
Danie P.
Boys 8 and up. Mitch Mathis is the new kid in school. His family has just moved to Hollywood and Mitch is trying to fit in. Mitch makes a few friends with interesting names like Dashiell and Skywalker. To fit in even more tries out for an open audition for a soda pop commercial and becomes the "Fizzy Whiz Kid" Suddenly he finds himself thrust into stardom but still losing the friends he made. Will he learn how to balance stardom and his friends or will he lose both?
Lisa
A little... bland, but a cute story. Fun read, good for boys. I personally liked the messages about being happy with who you are, although I did not like the "go ahead and quit something if it isn't what you expected" attitude that pops up. Thought it was appropriate for younger readers who are reading higher. Fun intro to Hollywood for middle grades! Hoping that if they ever make a movie of it, they cast Luke from Modern Family as the main character.
Heather
I had no intention of picking up this book, but one Saturday when I was working a girl asked me for it. A couple hours later, a boy asked me for it. Then one of the other librarians asked me if I knew the name of the book about the kid who becomes a soda commerical star. At that point, I knew I should pick this up. And it was a lot of fun. It's a quick read and has appeal for boys and girls.

Recommended for 4th and 5th grade.
Megan
Mitch moves to a new school in Hollywood and discoveres that all his classmates have parents who work in show business. Mitchell is immediately cast as an outsider because he doesn't own a TV and hasn't seen any of the current popular movies. To try to gain some popularity, Mitchell goes on a casting call for a commercial and gets the job, but fame isn't all what he expected.
Lisa
I appreciated the insider's view of Hollywood that was given in this fresh tale about "the rise and fall of a Hollywood nobody." Clearly Williams knows it's flaws, but is still a fan of the Hollywood sub-culture, and she gives the reader a glimpse into why people choose to be a part of it, despite the horror stories about it that are too often true.
Joenna
Moving to Hollywood with his academic parents, eleven-year-old Mitch feels like an outsider in his school where everyone has connections to the powerful and famous in the entertainment industry, until he is cast in a soda commercial that launches a popular catchphrase.
Cathy
A great story for every kid who thinks being a star would be just fantastic. A nobody if tossed into the Hollywood machine, gaining friends anf fame--- but, strangely enough, realizes he was happier without it all.
Monique
Very entertaining and amusing; some good laugh out loud moments there. Would recommend it to people I know, with no major problems.

Love the changing dynamics and friendship!
Lorraine Stinson
Sabrina
super cute story! About a little boy and his rise to fame but his fall too, really enjoyable! :)
Joshua
once it started I quite liked it, though I think main character should have been 6th grade...
Bianca
this book wasnt as good to me as it was to some of my friends i wasnt really feeling the book
Cory
This book was slightly pedantic, but the characters saved it for me.
PWRL
Jan 17, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
SM
J.D.Staton
J.D.Staton marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Alyson Newhouse
Alyson Newhouse marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Ry Ronaldo
Ry Ronaldo is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Jennifer Boyer
Jennifer Boyer marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Golden Hour (Time-Travel Series, #1) The Hour of the Cobra (Time-Travel Series, #2) The Hour of the Outlaw (Time-Travel series, #3) Middle-School Cool