And Call Me in the Morning

And Call Me in the Morning

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,402 ratings  ·  138 reviews
Genre: LGBT Erotic Contemporary

Take two, and call me in the morning.

Eli and Zane. Colleagues at work and close friends, though on the surface it's an unexpected friendship between an odd couple. While Zane took the "high school to college to med school" track, medicine is Eli's second career and the best choice he ever made. He has work that he loves, an extended second

Published January 15th 2010 by Loose ID

Faith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon SuedeThe Tin Star by J.L. LangleyPromises by Marie SextonThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay Friends Become Lovers
11th out of 461 books — 677 voters
Faith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon SuedePromises by Marie SextonWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay For You Romance
19th out of 424 books — 961 voters

More lists with this book...

❧Gwen❤❦
Eli and Zane 5 Star...Yum

It all starts here~

and ends here...

Sigh....

Gosh, that first kiss took my breath away....

The Book~ There is noooo angst in this book, no villian's, no hater's, no cheating, no un-expected twist and turns...it's just a simple no-stress love story of two straight doctor's falling madly in love.

What did he say after that kiss....?

and I quote

"My God, Yeah. Him. Allah, Buddha, Vishnu, and Ganesha too"

This is my 5 Star re-readable book when I need to re-group after reading...more
Camille
A true gay for you, which I like. No one was gay but closeted before. The story was alright, good enough, a little chick-ish at times but workable.

The repetition of the phrase "they hissed when skin touched skin" was annoying and there could have been some more stamina with the sex but the showcase of what's important in life and the young gay couple friends were good elements in this story.

All in all, nice enough...but not wowing.
Jimmy Hanson
Two words: "LOVED IT"
I'm not entirely sure why ... it's that kind of all-around feeling you get when you can't really pinpoint any one thing that works or doesn't work.

Zane and Eli are a couple that aren't EXACTLY a couple in the strictest sense, and yet they *have* been for years. The only thing missing was the sexual aspect of it, and I think that's charming. Friends first - and not just friends, but GREAT friends at that - and then one day the hell with it, they try a kiss just to prove every...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
3.5 stars. This was a cute story. I really enjoyed the easy going nature of the Zane and Eli's friendship and banter. This continued on through their relationship as lovers. Even though this was a bit predictible, and the guys were acting a bit stupidly most especially at the end, it was quite enjoyable. I wasn't quite sure why if Zane had all this family money available, he didn't use it for the free clinic he so desparately wanted to remain open. I also liked how things were wrapped up nice an...more
Susan65-Coug "Miss Behaving"
“And Call Me in The Morning” started out a little slowly for me, but just about a third of the way in I was hooked. I really enjoyed the slow way Eli and Zane handled the surprising relationship they found themselves in. It was always "together" and that is how they were successful in wading through the great unknown of a same-sex relationship, when they were both in their early forties...and believed they were both strictly heterosexual.

I was afraid at first that they would easily jump into se...more
Jenre
I picked up this book because everyone raved on about it on GRs and I read several great reviews on other blogs. I was also attracted by the fact that the heroes are in their 40s which is quite unusual for an m/m book. This meant I had high hopes for this one as I sat down to read. In the end, I wasn't as enthused by it as many other readers have been, but it was still a pretty good read.

Doctors and best buddies Eli and Zane are such close friends that everyone assumes that they are in a gay rel...more
Gigi
This review is from a re-read in March 2013. I originally read this book back in 2011 and loved it! It was my absolute favorite friends-to-lovers/gay-for-you book until I read Falling Into Place and it meet it's match.

MC's Eli and Zane are best friends and doctors working at the same hospital. After some irritating ribbing from mutual friends, they decide to share a kiss to see if their already extremely close relationship could also include romance. The kiss throws both of the straight men off...more
Lily
I really enjoyed this story about best friends falling in love. The men are older, have been through a lot in their lives and their slowly evolving relationship was fun to read. Low angst, at times very hot and entertaining throughout.
Tina
This was a very sweet story. I always like books where the MCs are a little older. It is so rare to find men in their 40s as MC in M/M romance. This also had an excellent supporting cast. Great little read.
Erin (PT)
Cindi
Mar 20, 2012 Cindi rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m, 2012
Tina
Wow. Just wow. This book was amazing on every single level. Two of my favorite tropes - friends to lovers AND gay for you! Cha ching!

It was wonderful to have a story with the main characters being in their 40's (cause I'm nearly there!) and mature enough and brave enough to try something totally new and unexpected.

I love that their friendship was not once threatened by their romance. Over and over they said to each other that they'd figure it out together. It was beautiful.

I've got myself a new...more
Chris
In this very good m/m romance, two straight doctors, whose friends always tease them about being a couple, kiss each other just to prove there isn’t anything like that between them. Whoops. (And, as many others have mentioned, neither of the characters is described as looking as old as the guys on the cover look.)
Kathy
I absolutely ADORED Eli and Zane; their friends and co-workers were also a treat and I laughed myself silly more than once with their hijinks.
One of the things that I love most about Willa Okati's And Call Me in the Morning is that the two men are caught up in something neither ever imagined, never mind dreamt of. Their falling in love was obvious to everyone else but they were just too close to see it for themselves. Their strong friendship developed into something that neither could possibly...more
D
4.5 stars! Wow, this was really good. Such a different take on the m/m stories that I've been reading so far. Two friends, straight, over 40. One clueless of how the other feels about him. The other, not pushing and waiting for him to get a clue. And when feelings other than their friendship finally start come to light, OMG, how adorable for them. Every feeling, every emotion, is new for them. Working through these uncharted waters and finally getting it right for them was worth everything they'...more
Ava
4 1/2 stars. I really adored this book. It's almost 200 pages and told in 3rd person POV from Eli's perspective, and I kinda wish I could have gotten Zane's POV, too. Some things he said near the end of the book made me view his actions/words in earlier scenes through a different lense. So it wasn't until the end when I got a true bead on Zane's character. This isn't to say that I missed his POV - Okati did a great job with Zane's character as viewed through Eli's POV - but it would have been lo...more
Jacqueline
Jul 29, 2012 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Every M/M writer
Shelves: favorites
OMG This is my #1... I read this book at least six times, and WOW it never gets old! I have yet to find a better book as I always find my self comparing. Da----mmm What a book. The book has charm, love, kinship. This is by far a PERFECT book. I wish all the other writers would follow suit and use this as a prime example of what it takes to be a writer. Just Da-----mmmm !
Tj
Loved the overall theme in the book as to second chances. Eli was divorced in a second career. Zane was also previously married and unhappy in his career. It seemed natural that two "straight" men might not even realize what they felt for each other especially with their ages in the 40's. I think it was a sweet story if a little on the tame side.
Honour
"We'll figure this out together"

This is my first experience with two characters who thought they were straight for most of their lives. Usually someone is there to take the lead but in And Call Me in the Morning, Zane and Eli are somewhat at a loss when it comes to admitting that their friendship is more of a marriage than anything else.

I'm surprised that I really liked this idea! I'm always drawn to a character that's discovering their sexuality because I live for those moments when you know e...more
Brenda (b)
I loved this story. I eagerly followed along as Eli and Zane struggled through their feelings as their friendship moved into a more romantic relationship. While the epilogue is only a couple of months later, I thought it gave a completed feel to the story.
Kelly
A wonderful gem of a "fell in love with my best friend" kind of story. It was nice to see two slightly older protagonists. The supporting female characters weren't as well-rounded (for me) as the two heroes, but it was still a very enjoyable read.
Candice
This was a sweet and pretty much an angst free story. Two best friends who discover their feelings for each other goes much deeper. I think what I liked the most is having the two main characters older and more mature.
Nancy L
story hit the spot today - valentines day!!! I loved the friends to lovers story even if it is considered GFY
Pamela Su
On the surface, it has a lot of my favorite elements. Older men. Friends to lovers. Gay for you.

I enjoyed the story. I love stories with a good friendship setting. Eli and Zane do strike me as friends and for the most part it is believable.

Yet something didn't quite fully capture me and I found it hard, at times, to connect to the characters or the story. For one thing, they don't seem like older guys. Eli, especially, comes off as a much younger man. I also felt there was just too much talking...more
L-D
Eli and Zane are best friends and doctors. As close as they are at work and outside of work, their colleagues take to calling Zane "Eli's wife" and questioning how platonic they really are. In order to put all the insinuations to rest once and for all, Zane proposes that they kiss and then once they see that there really is nothing there, they can move on. What Eli doesn't anticipate, however, is the sizzle that he feels from Zane's lips. Gooooood stuff.

This was a really sweet story. You won't f...more
Sas
Mar 04, 2013 Sas rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
Fave Quote: 'Eli smirked. Hell of a world when considering a gay hookup with his straight friend was the lesser of two kinks, wasn't it?'

- Storyline - 6/10
- This book described in one word/phrase - Complicated

May contain some spoilers...more
Elisa Ramblings
Mar 25, 2010 Elisa Ramblings is currently reading it
I think I have already said it for the previous long novel by Willa Okati I read, but she is going better book after book. And Call Me in the Morning it’s not only one of the most nice Silver romance I have ever read (meaning for Silver Romance a book where one of the two main character is over 40 years old, and here they are both) but also a Friends with Benefits romance, another theme that I like a lot. In a way, it's also a Gay for You romance, since not Eli or Zane has never considered the o...more
Jess Candela
Reread in October 2012 and dropped rating from 4 stars to 3.

It was good, but not as good as I remembered. Bad Case of Loving You is a much better dual-doctor romance, anyway. I liked the characters and it was fun to see them figure out how to turn their friendship into a sexual relationship. But I'm not sure how much I believed in them being gay for each other. Even with maybe already being in love before they realized it and pursued a relationship...

I dunno, I just read Above All and thought t...more
Boyboygirllove
Call Me In The Morning...and I'll come running right back!!!

Eli and Zane are two doctors in the early forties...good looking, successful and inseparable. Practical joined at the hip, these two men look a lot like two people in a relationship...on the surface anyway. They are constantly teased by fellow co-workers about their closeness but these joke fall on deaf ears because after all, is it so wrong to be that close to a male friend?

Then one day Eli is floored when Zane proposes ONE KISS...one...more
Jazz
I really enjoyed this book. Great story about best friends admitting their feelings for one another. I loved it for the most part, loved the main characters, loved their friendship, and loved Taye.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was that it didn't feel like it was written in current Chicago, it felt more like I was reading a story from the early 90s maybe. It seems like a small thing, but universities and hospitals are typically accepting and more liberal and the aspects in the book wi...more
  • The One That Got Away
  • Man to Man (Hero, #1)
  • Out of My Mind
  • Duty & Devotion  (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #3)
  • Just For You
  • Handyman (Handyman #1)
  • Finding Home (Quinn Security, #1)
  • The Trap
  • Private Dicks (Private Dicks, #1)
  • One Real Thing
  • Where He Ends and I Begin (Home #3)
  • Str8te Boys
  • Go Fish
  • Horizons (Horizons, #1)
  • Time to Do (Perfect Timing #3)
  • The Rebuilding Year
  • Unintended
A multi-published author of GLBT erotic, romantic fiction since 2004, I love trying new things -- I have 1001 crazy ideas and want to write them all! I exist primarily on caffeine and pixels, take “camera shy” to a whole new level, and persist in trying to learn the pennywhistle despite being woefully tone-deaf. During the summer, I’m a wild woman with henna.

You can find me on the web here, at my...more
More about Willa Okati...
The Name of the Game Lovers, Dreamers and Me Tomcat Jones (Tomcat Jones, #1) In The Strangest Places (Strange Places, #1) Because It's True