Start by marking “Breakpoint (Lib)(CD)” as Want to Read:
Breakpoint (Lib)(CD)

Breakpoint (Lib)(CD)

"Against All Enemies "warned about how we were conducting the war against terror. "The Scorpion's Gate" demonstrated what could happen as a result. And now, America's preeminent counterterrorism expert and number-one-bestselling author shows us all what might come next.
The global village-an intricately intertwined network of technology that binds together the world's econ
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2007 by Books on Tape

To ask other readers questions about Breakpoint (Lib), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakpoint (Lib)

Rick Howard
Cyber Security Blog: http://terebrate.blogspot.com/
twitter: @raceBannon99

Executive Summary: If you like Michael Crichton stories like “Jurassic Park” and “State of Fear,” you will like this book. It is not a must-read for cyber security professionals, but it is an entertaining story that you can hand to your family members, friends and bosses to illustrate what could be done in cyber space by a well-resourced adversary. Along the way, you will learn a little about the ethical issues, pro and con
Laurel
Sep 12, 2007 Laurel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing/plot didn't especially grab me, but it was interesting to think about how "out of touch" and "in the dark" (literally) we'd all be if our globally intertwined technology was disconnected by a group, an individual, or agents of a nation-state, for whatever reason - terrorism, competition, fear, or just to prove it could be done. Written by the former Special Adviser to the President for Cyberspace Security (among several federal posts), Clarke adds a few notes about existing and emerg ...more
DWGibb
Aug 31, 2008 DWGibb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
President Bush’s former counter terrorism chief, Richard Clarke wrote this spy thriller. Found it intriguing to read a fictional story about terrorism written by someone who was inside and at the top of U.S. counter terrorism. How much is pure invention, and how much reality-based observation?
Anne
Nov 18, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will scare the bejeezus out of you considering the cv of the writer.
Will Byrnes
Clarke is at it again, using the novel as a way to tell tales he probably couldn’t get away with in non-fiction. The focus here is on the nation’s communications apparatus. Some nation or group has set about bombing the cables that connect the USA com-network with Europe. Several communications satellites have been hacked and redirected to places other than their usual geostationary orbits. Experts in data and communications and their facilities are being destroyed.

Is it the Chinese who are beh
Jeff Zimmel
Mar 26, 2010 Jeff Zimmel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Please. Don't waste your time. This was such a political, passive-aggressive story that I thought I was reading something by Michael Moore. I thought the book would be an entertaining story based around cool technological stuff but it was all about his whining and complaining about the war, the president, this, that and how he was always picked last for teams.

He doesn't build the story. He doesn't build the characters. There is no writing flow to the story. Nothing gets built up. There are no hi
Bill Harrington
The last sentence of this book speaks volumes: "Sometimes you can tell more truth through fiction."

The basic point is this: Our technological infrastructure is woefully underprotected, and a terrorist organization with enough resources would be able to bring not only our country, but the world itself, to its knees with a few well-placed explosives and a series of ones and zeroes.

While reading this book it becomes clear that the author, former counterterrorism czar Richard A. Clarke, is not so m
Alex
May 19, 2007 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Richard Clarke's strong spot is espionage pulp fiction, and it shows here. He makes a valiant attempt to paint a picture of what a coordinated attack on America's network infrastructure would look like, and he does a fairly good job of staying accurate with terminology. But it all comes across a little too simplistically, with frequent attempts at "geek culture" that don't translate well, and a poor excuse at a "gotcha" surprise ending.

If you enjoyed The Scorpion's Gate, you might enjoy this to
Rob James
This work of near-future fiction by the former "Anti-Terrorism Czar" looks at the investigation of a series of terrorist attacks on the United States centered on internet and other computer infrastructure. Examined in a cursory manner are issues regarding performance-enhancing pharmaceuticals used, for example, by police or soldiers; genetic enhancements; reverse engineering of the human brain; artificial intelligence; and others.

I'm not sure if the techies out there would enjoy this book. It h
Dan
Sep 07, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like tech thrillers
Shelves: thrillers
Breakpoint is another warning about the high voltage danger to our communication networks illustrated in my novel PeaceMaker. Both novels, set in 2012, warn of the vulnerabilities of our computer-linked societies. Disrupt these networks and society crumbles. The equation is simple: Technology + Terrorism = Destruction.

The strength of Breakpoint is Richard Clarke's insider knowledge of the federal government's alphabet agencies. As a high-level pro in the Clinton and both Bush administrations, h
Michael David Cobb
Richard Clarke's Breakpoint is a thriller of bizarre proportions. Reading it on the heels of Michael Crichton's Next makes me feel that perhaps there certain fairly interesting ideas out there that makes the future full of interesting possibilities. It is one of the more entertaining books I've read this year. I recommend it.

Richard Clarke is another person whose material contributions to the country have been completely obliterated by the politics of vicious ripping and staunch defending of the
Apr 29, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book points out how depended on electronics from telephone to internet in our daily communication not just with famailies but international as well goverments as they monitor each other. This knowledge n the hands of persons who have less than honorable means can cause frightening results.

Andrew
Apr 29, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting near-future techno-terrorism novel. Richard Clarke is a good author and very knowledgeable on the subject. I still need to read his other novel, Scorpion's Gate, but I'm really interested in doing so.
Nick Woodall
An interesting book. However, because Clarke served in the Clinton Administration, his biases showed through. He made Christians the bad guys in this novel, which was a total fabrication of reality. While the technology was interesting (and apparently on the horizon), the story was fast-paced and the characters were believable.
Lillian I Smith
Mar 30, 2016 Lillian I Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

Making a way to engage new technologies through the vehicle of the novel. It's moving so fast in so many areas. Clarke has the ability to cram this all together in an enjoyable format.
Fredrick Danysh
The global community is connected by technology. When that technology is threatened, governments scramble to eliminate the problem. Criminal elements attempt to control it.
Julia Glenn
Apr 02, 2016 Julia Glenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Story was intricate, and action moved. Good characters. About terrorism, and not one of my favorite subjects.
Andrew
Feb 04, 2015 Andrew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like Richard Clarke. I think he is intelligent and funny. But this book was bad.
Elizabeth Sulzby
Really a 4+ for me. I have read all of Clarke's books since 9-11. Breakpoint is fictional but filled with implications of where rapid increases in technology, man-machine connections, genome study, weapons design, and international relations and competition may be taking our world and, esp., the USA. I have listened to this book before but it's better this time around. I picked it up to re-listen just after I listened to Clarke's Your Country Failed You.

More to come. . . .
Bob
Oct 02, 2010 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Clarke has doe it again - created a novel of fiction with such a believable story line that it can only be called "real fiction." Much of the technology presented in this book seems beyond belief but within the reach of science. The basis of the story in that how vulnerable this technology is is scary to say the least. It will surely open your eyes to see how close we are to our technology and how a few smart hackers could bring it all down.
Frederick Bingham
This novel is set in 2010. It is about cyberterrorism. A group of terrorists blows up the transatlantic cable between the US and Europe, sends major communications satellites spinning off into space and shuts down the electric grid throughout the western US. A pair of CIA operatives, along with a hacker they recruit try to track down who the bad guys are, and bring them to justice.
Jill
Dec 08, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of hard to follow, but the premise is we have reached a point where technology and biology co-mingle. It's amazing to realize how far along we are in the process we are and to think about where we might be heading. Clarke has the ability to make you realize how the future isn't that far away and really makes you think about the direction we are headed as a society.
Lindsay Watt
Sep 26, 2009 Lindsay Watt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Clarke used to be a the counter-terrorism chief of the National Security Council so any book written by him on terrorism is going to be different from most writers. In Breakpoint he extrapolates from current technology trends to outline what could happen to America. It's a mixture of optimism and pessimism at 100 miles an hour.
Raymond
Jan 12, 2016 Raymond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, talk about science fiction? The technology and biotechnology imagined in this book seem believable and alarming! I hope they are not actual products, and the terrorist actions against our infrastructure are VERY troublesome - I hope we have safeguards in place in the event someone attempts to implement them!
Tim
Jan 05, 2008 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for those who like the science fiction/cyber terrorism genre with a twist of murder mystery and who done it. An easy read that looks into the future of what could happen if IT were to continue to speed ahead unchecked. Think The Matrix 75+ yrs before the machines take over.
Ally Shields
This techno-thriller started with a great premise and interesting characters. It was a little hard to follow at times due to the multiple POVs and the extensive use of technical language. The ending was rather predictable and stretched credibility, which dropped my rating from a four to a three.
Sketchycat8
Mar 11, 2009 Sketchycat8 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was awesome. Every chapter was educational and entertaining. This guy has the background to freak you out if you are in IT. While reading this book, I couldn't hardly stand the nightly news b/c something futuristic in this book came true. Freakyish, but an awesome read.
Lynn Wilson
Aug 30, 2009 Lynn Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not great literature, and there is no character development. However, if you have an interest in the intersection of science, technology, politics and religion you will likely enjoy it. A great adventure tale chock full of important information, and very timely.
Mick
Jul 31, 2012 Mick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Clarke, the former counter terrorism chief writes about cyber-terrorism. My feeling is he does better briefings than story telling. I think it was a little far fetched. Discussing future technology development is interesting, but it may not work as predicted.
Tim
Jul 06, 2015 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started out in a great way but took some weird turns. Ending was not nearly as good as the start of the book.
  • Just Revenge
  • Spy Master - Mystery Guild Omnibus: Call for the Dead, A Murder of Quality, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
  • The Singer of Tales
  • Arab Historians of the Crusades
  • A Failed Empire: The Soviet Union in the Cold War from Stalin to Gorbachev (The New Cold War History)
  • Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency from the Cold War Through the Dawn of a New Century
  • The Statement
  • The CIA at War: Inside the Secret Campaign Against Terror
  • Allah's Scorpion (Kirk McGarvey #11)
  • Games of the Hangman
  • The Death of Che Guevara
  • Intel Wars: The Secret History of the Fight Against Terror
  • The Reluctant Spy: My Secret Life in the CIA's War on Terror
  • At the Center of the Storm: My Years at the CIA
Richard Alan Clarke was a U.S. government employee for 30 years, 1973–2003. He worked for the State Department during the presidency of Ronald Reagan. In 1992, President George H.W. Bush appointed him to chair the Counter-terrorism Security Group and to a seat on the United States National Security Council. President Bill Clinton retained Clarke and in 1998 promoted him to be the National Coordina ...more
More about Richard A. Clarke...