Start by marking “Breathe” as Want to Read:

Breathe (Undine #2)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Six months have passed since Undine discovered the powerful magic within her and very nearly threw the entire world into chaos. Life has gone back to normal--almost. The magic still swirls relentlessly below her surface, demanding that she break her promise not to use it. And then there's Trout. Trout, with his messy, unrequited love for Undine. Trout, who can't sleep and ...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Breathe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathe

Just as good as 'Undine.' Also got to know Trout a little bit more and delve into his past and his family life a little bit more. Though I did wish that we heard a little bit more about Undine. Also got to know a LOT more about a semi-new character, Max (or Maxine Madden). Got to know how she learned about magic and her past. She tied into the story quite well. All together a great story with a very dramatic ending. I can't wait to read the next book!
I wasn't quite as hooked by the sequel as I was by Undine, but I still loved Russon's style and sense of characters. The trouble is, when I wrote the title on my list of finished books, I commented that "the end totally caught me off guard." But now, two weeks later, I can't remember how it ended. This is probably more a sign of how easily I forget book plots than of the quality of the book...still, I'll keeping reading Russon. I just peeked at a description of the third book, Drift, on her webs ...more
Xiao Ying
Jan 02, 2011 Xiao Ying rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Xiao Ying by: sci-fic and fantasy
Can't wait to read the last in the trilogy. Easy great story
This story sweeps up crumbs from the first book. I suspected this to be long and without direction, but it keeps up as energetic and exciting as we learn a lot more about this magic Undine discovered. A lot matures in Trout and his life without Undine becomes as chaos does as love is without the magic. Undine surprisingly does a better job in life know knowing where she belongs. The magic fits in her life. She fits in. Prospero fits in as he promises. Lou fits in as Undine keeps her promises.
Dannielle R
So I really wasn't blown away with this sequel. At all. I just wanted to finish it because I was mildly interested in the story. It took me way too long to finish it, and usually, if I love a book, it's finished with in days. I got aggravated with the characters, and how the writing style flip-flopped. It was annoying and sometimes confusing. I'm still interested in finding out how everything turns out in the third one, but I'm not dying to read it.

2.5 stars. :/
Sep 09, 2008 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fanisty lovers
Undine starts to experiment with her new found powers and learns their hidden secrets. She suddenly has overwhelming power at her finger tips and she has to choose how to use them. The sea is calling her and she has to choose to remain with her family or go back to where she really belongs to discover her true power. I loved this book it captured my attention from the first page and kept it through out the book.
i didn't like this book at all. the characters were all off! probably because i didn't read the first book, but this book should have at least covered enough of what happened in the first book and me reading through this book should have at least given me a vision of what the first book was about. i didn't care for this...i can't believe i read through it XP
Ms. Jackson
Perhaps I would have liked it better if I had read the first book in the series before this one. I kept waiting for the characters to really do something, for there to be some kind of culmination. I guess I should've realized that this is intended to be the second in a series. It is kind of long for the story that it tells.
Sequel to Undine. Undine tries to deal with the powerful magic found inside herself.

Russon's bracing, poetic voice and earthy, likable characters ground the story's esoteric symbolism, and many readers will find their own fear and love reflected in the beautiful, open-ended metaphors. (Gillian Engberg, Booklist)
I was so excited when I learned that there was a sequel to Undine, so maybe it was thanks to my astronomical expectations and inflated sense of how AMAZING Undine was, I felt Breathe was a little disappointing and difficult to follow. Not a bad story, just ... not as eerie, ethereal, and good as Undine was.
May 01, 2010 Allie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 16+
Recommended to Allie by: myself
Shelves: rated-2-books
This book was.. very confusing. I'm pretty sure you need to read this right after the first one.. if you're lucky enough to even understand the first. I've got a lot a questions still, but I'm just happy to finish it. It's a good book to read if you're having troubles understanding.. philosophy things.
Not sure I really buy the transformation of Trout in this one or what happens to Undine at the end either for that matter. Not nearly as good as the first book in the series. I'll read the final book in the series just to see how it ends, but this is not something I will ever pick up again.
Very interesting book - brings out a lot of questions as far as alternate planes of existence, natural magic and chaos. However, it seems that Book 3 is out of print and I am a bit unnerved by that! I would love to know how this trilogy ties up! But seems like I may never find out. :(
This is kind of a messy book. Undine was a little the same, with a lot of ideas and themes invoked that ended up coming to nothing, but this is almost entirely like that, with a very confusing ending. I might well re-read Undine, but I will never re-read Breathe.
I don't know if I'm just not in reading mode right now, but I have gotten 1/3 of the way through this book and I still have to force myself to sit down and read it. I might try this one another time, but for right now it just isn't holding my interest.
A fascinating concept. Read this directly after the first one (Undine). And good luck understanding it. I still have a lot of questions. It made sense for most of the book, and then all of the sudden I had no idea what was going on.
ESTHER *I Hate Being Bipolar, It's Awesome!*
I LOVED IT!! it's really hard to tell if the ending happy or sad... and by that i mean the epiloge... it was sooooo sad and made my gut twist, but it was, i think it was supposed to be, happy.. i dono i guess im just sad that it's over...
I loved it! Dreamy and poetic, breathless and intoxicating. Penni delves further into the magic and the sea and the chaos there and in the characters' hearts. Brilliant sequel that has me gasping for more.
I liked this one as much if not more than the first one. Her story and development of it is really interesting. I am glad she didn't rush through or try to change her pattern of writing or the storyline.
This is the sequal to Undine. In this story Undine struggles with her powers. Trout tries to inderstand the powers. He never sleeps. He then trusts a girl he should not have. He also betrays Undine.
Wasn't as hooked to this one. Undine on the other hand was really good!!! the story itself lost a bit of "flair", but nonetheless I still enjoyed it. can't wait to see how it ends with the third book :)
I liked the first book better , this one made me sad . I couldn't believe how Trent was acting , I wanted to tell him to be a man and get over it . This series is intresting though .
I love the way she explained feelings. Almost as if we were being introduced to the feelings like they were being explained to us each layer each step of the way.
Still enjoying her dreamy style that is so reminiscent of the waves lapping the shore. Sadly, my lame library system does not have the final in the trilogy...
This was a horrible book. Beginning middle and end. The best thing about this book well was nothing at all. Don't waste your time.
my favorite part was the locations - Tasmania. This is the second book, it was still good but I probably preferred the first.
Horrible ending-egmatic(sp) and also more dark than the first one. Was disapointed, they could have had a cool ending.
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • She's with the Band
  • Saltwater Vampires
  • Shine Light (Night Creatures, #3)
  • The Reluctant Hallelujah
  • Losing It
  • My Life and Other Catastrophes (Girlfriend Fiction, #1)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • Queen of the Night (This is Shyness, #2)
  • Loathing Lola
  • Finding Darcy
  • Skyfire (Chasing the Valley #3)
  • Green Valentine
  • Dear Swoosie (Girlfriend Fiction, #17)
  • Everything Beautiful
  • Just a Girl
  • Silhouette
  • Black Glass

Undine (3 books)
  • Undine
  • Drift (Undine, #3)

“She had never really believed in God. There didn't seem any point in it, and he just seemed so, well, unlikely. But now, a world that definitely had no God at all felt kind of... empty. It wasn't really God she wanted; it was the possibility of God.” 4 likes
“Will you be all right?"
Heater on twice, color contrast down, and keep hitting buttons on the extractor fan until it stops or I go mad. I think I can manage that.”