Start by marking “Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green, #3)” as Want to Read:
Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green, #3)

Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green #3)

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  1,913 Ratings  ·  207 Reviews
A man of action. . .

Fearless. Loyal. Brilliant. Ruthless. Bold words are always used to describe English war hero Captain Chase Eversea, but another word unfortunately plays a role in every Eversea's destiny: trouble. And trouble for Chase arrives in the form of a mysterious message summoning him to a London rendezvous . . . where he encounters the memory of his most wicke
Published July 28th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Since the Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Since the Surrender

Jilly
When you boil it all down, this book's summary comes out to this:

Two people who like to get it on in inappropriate settings while trying to find sex traffickers.

Really, that's the plot. Also, the guy is hilariously afraid of puppets. I like that he is in touch with those feelings because anyone NOT freaked out by a puppet needs therapy.

Iliada
I adore Julie Anne Long. I worship her. She's one of the most talented HR authors I know, if not the most talented, and she certainly deserves more credits. Her writing is beautiful and she gives me butterflies in my stomach every single time and I mean every single time. And yes, I'm going to say this, this is something that even writers such as Lisa Kleypas and Julia Quinn haven't managed to do.

You know what? This book doesn't deserve my 3 stars. The explosive chemistry is there, the H/h are b
Ann
Jul 20, 2011 Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-regency
This book only gets one star from me. Which is a crying shame, because 85% of the book is fantastic. It's funny, the mystery is good, the action is tense, and the hero says a few things that are surprisingly uncommon, even in romance novels.

(Mild spoilers here)
(view spoiler)
seton
Mar 19, 2009 seton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d-n-f
I stopped at Page 185, which is exactly the halfway point. I have been trying to read this on and off for 22 days and I just have to face the fact that this bk is a lost cause.

This novel has been getting mixed reviews all along and it grieves me that I am agreeing with the naysayers, since I was so impressed with the first 2 bks in this series (which were terrific). The first two books were different from each other and JAL tries yet another different story here but it's not as engaging.

The stor
[Aengell]

Julie Anne Long has a terrific writing style because it consists of a deep-going way of characterisation, a love for the small but significant details and an vivid and authentic imagery.

This is a story about two people who have been attracted to each other and felt a strong connection for many years, but the heroine was married and one impropriety a handful years back led to a distanced relationship.
The relationship between these two, Rosalind and Chace, is one of those the reader can
KarenH
The queen of metaphorical expression has, once again, penned a winner. Although I was pretty sure going in that Since the Surrender would not be as good as Like No Other Lover (one of my 5 all-time favorites), JAL does not disappoint her fans with this one. The sexual tension building up in the first 2/3 of the book is so palpable that by the time they actually get together you are on your last nerve! And then wham! they go at it every way but the "standard" way! I really feel that Long has fina ...more
Kim H
Jul 31, 2009 Kim H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
Since The Surrender is book 3 in Julie Anne Long's Pennyroyal Green series, and IMO, the best of the lot. Recuperating from war wounds and banished from the family home by concerned family members who think he could use a change of scenery, Captain Charles (Chase) Eversea is in London to call on a distant cousin & determine his suitability as the new vicar of Pennyroyal Green. A celebrated war hero, Chase feels adrift & superfluous, and thus makes plans to join the East India Company and ...more
Abby
May 31, 2011 Abby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I knew I was going to be in for the long haul when I realized this book is based on my second LEAST favorite romance plot: adulterers meet again and this time are free to fall in love.

Sigh.

I really hate this plot line.

In brief: Chase (Charles) Eversea is in London to check out the new vicar for Pennyroyal Green when he is summoned by Rosalind March. Ros's sister has gone missing and she needs Chase's connection to help find her.

Of course, Ros and Chase had an illicit kiss way back in the day
Susan (susayq ~)
Captain Chase Eversea can heat up the pages by doing nothing more than kissing a woman. The evidence is in this book ;) I didn't find this as funny as the last book in the series, but I did cackle quit a few times...like when Chase gave his name as Hugh G Wrexion. I mean, come on. You can't help but laugh out loud at that like you're a 15 year old boy :)

What I think I liked best about this one was that Chase and Rosalind knew each other before the book started and had shared a brief, but passio
Mimi Smith

Not really my favorite book of the series. Possibly because I'm not fond of reunion stories. Possibly because Chase and Rosalind just didn't work for me. Could be the mystery aspect of it. Or maybe the puppets. I'll never be able to think of puppets in the same way again. Still, I love the way JAL writes, her characters are just so distinctive. This series is still awesome.

It's not that I hate it. I'm just ambivalent and a bit distant to it. Which is why I'm now running out of review-wr
Manda Collins
Another multi-layered, funny, sweet, sexy Regency historical from Julie Anne Long. I loved Colin Eversea in Perils of Pleasure. And Miles Redmond, of Like No Other Lover, was the sexiest scholarly hero I've read in a while. But Captain Charles Eversea? His particular brand of soldierly directness combined with unexpected humor is pretty darn potent. I loved the way Long slowly unraveled the backstory between Chase and Rosalind giving details a little at a time until the whole was revealed. Their ...more
This was a strange one. The romance is so confusing that I have to start with the secondary plot - a mystery that belonged more in an Anne Stuart. Long tried to make it lighter and amusing with certain details like the sets and the descriptions/antics of the characters, but I was too horrified to just go with it and find it amusing. I mean...(view spoiler) ...more
Ash
Dec 11, 2012 Ash rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Julie Anne Long but this book just didn't cut it for me.
Although written in a humorous manner that is characteristic of Julie Anne Long; the writing failed to make up for what I felt was a completely lackluster romance. The focal point of the relationship between the H and h seemed to be unfulfilled desire, and while many swoon worthy romances start out that way, this particular relationship never evolved into something more substantial.
despite these flaws I was init
Dina
3 1/2 stars (rounded down to 3 stars, because no matter how enticing Ms. Long's writing was, the story failed to keep me engaged)
MRB
Jun 04, 2013 MRB rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I...surrender. :)

This was my third JAL book, and I've sadly concluded that there won't be a fourth. I wanted so much to love this series, and I can easily see why many DO love this series. There's humor, some amusing banter, and a little adventure/suspense beyond just moving from one fancy ballroom to another :) These are all generally things that I love and look for in my romance novels, but I finally had to concede that these books just aren't for me.

This book illustrates most of my major pro
Gail
I read it, I liked it-but not quite as much as the first two in the series. Not sure why. Maybe because the sex/sexual tension wasn't quite as emotional as in the previous books. Or maybe it's because there was humor that didn't seem to fit the places it turned up. But I still liked it. And I'll be reading the rest of the Pennyroyal Green books.

This is the one with the secret doorways and disappearing young women, and the military hero and the heroine who's the widow of his commanding officer. H
Julia
I think I graded this one so harshly because I loved the one before it so much. Like No Other Lover if you are interested :)

Why this book is two stars:
- The Plot was boring for the first 100 pages.
Seriously I don't know how I even stayed awake during those pages. The hero and heroine were rarely interacted and there was all these choppy flashbacks. When the plot did finally show up, it made it readable, but it still was kind of a "wtf is going on" story.

- Random sexy times.
They had sex at suc
Lauren
Since the Surrender
2 Stars

When Rosalind March's sister disappears off the streets of London, the young army widow turns to Captain Chase Eversea, her late husband's confidante and the man with whom she shared a regrettable indiscretion. Recuperating from injuries sustained in battle, Chase is reluctant to confront the painful memories of his shared past with Rosalind, but cannot deny the passion he feels for her.

The convoluted and illogical mystery together with the ridiculous descriptions of p
Andrea
"I know you wanted a chance to determine what you want. But what I want is this: I want to be wherever you are. Whatever that means. Wherever that might be. So if you want me, I will stay. For as long as you want me. However you want me. Because…” He sighed. “…I love you.”

(and that's the line that officially made me swoon)

I've made it my mission to read the Pennyroyal Green series. I'm doing it like it's my job. If only...

I really enjoyed Since the Surrender. Chase Eversea and Rosalind March we
Pamela Shropshire
Jan 25, 2016 Pamela Shropshire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book of the Pennyroyal Green series and is about Chase Eversea. Parts of this book are great, but parts are not so much.

Chase had a thing for his former commander's wife, Rosalind March. She was attracted to him as well and they had one passionate kiss, for which they have felt guilty ever since. Somehow Colonel March found out and transferred Chase out of his unit, then he was killed at Waterloo.

Now Rosalind's younger sister has gone missing and she asks Chase for his help. A
Trewen
POSSIBLY VERY MINOR SPOILERS:

I was a bit disappointed in this book. Maybe I expected too much because I loved the first two in the series.
Although I generally liked both H/h, I didn't feel like I got to know them. I should have. There was sure plenty of internal monologue! There was way too much narration for my taste. I like more dialog between the characters. In fact my favorite part of the book involved the interaction with the street urchin, Liam.
There was some good sexual tension and the lo
lia
Sep 24, 2012 lia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosalind and Captain Chase Eversea has a past. They were both attracted to each other and unintentionally acted on it 5 yeas ago when Rosalind is the wife of Captain Chase's Colonel. They both haunted by it ever since.

Now, 5 years later, Rosalind is a cool, calm and collected widow who ask for Captain Chase's help in finding her missing sister. Apparently, her sister Lucy is missing from Newgate prison. She was brought there as a petty thief and suddenly gone without even a person acknowledging
Melwasul
May 14, 2016 Melwasul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
L'intégralité de ma chronique ici: http://lune-et-plume.fr/pour-un-simpl...

[...] Mais comme je suis courageuse et malgré l’ennui de ce tome 2, j’ai enchaîné avec le troisième tome, Rosalind, une femme de passion, en espérant qu’en retournant avec la famille Eversea, je m’ennuie moins. Et c’était bien parti pour être le cas au début de ma lecture, Chase me faisant penser à son frère. Quelle bonne blague. Au bout de 50 pages, j’ai bien compris que l’ennui serait le même, l’histoire avançant moins
Susana
Dawn
Apr 21, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This turned into a very enjoyable story. It took me half the book to get into though. There were alot of little pieces to fit together and I kept thinking I was missing something.

It was really a mystery starting with the disappearance of Rosalind's sister. She had been arrested for thievery and sent to Newgate from where she disappeared. Other pretty girls had disappeared as well, we later learn. Rosalind approaches Chase Eversea for help. He had served under her late husband in the war and the
Janice Hougland
May 06, 2015 Janice Hougland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another stunning historical romance by this author! Capt. Charles (“Chase”) Eversea and Rosalind March, widow and former wife of Chase’s commanding officer during the war, meet again after five long years because Rosalind has requested Chase’s assistance in locating her younger sister after her disappearance from Newgate prison. The mystery of what happened to Rosalind’s sister and why Rosalind finds it so difficult to get into a serious relationship with Chase made for a very riveting story, fr ...more
Carrie
With a little editing, this could've been a much stronger book. I enjoyed all of the elements there: second chance romance, a missing sister, a grittier version of London, etc...but they didn't always tie together as neatly as they could have. As usual, Long takes a chapter or two to get me really hooked on the story, and then I find the book nearly impossible to put down. I spent most of yesterday morning reading this, and it was time well spent. I feel like this book is good and worth reading, ...more
Linda
Mar 22, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
~Leslie~
Love love love this book. There were imperfect parts to it but it didn't seem to matter. It just worked for me. The hero was a slightly tortured war hero and the heroine was loving and strong, no whining in sight. I also thought the storyline was inventive and engaging with enough humor to keep me smiling. Just a lovely story.
Ang
Mar 29, 2016 Ang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one takes a darker turn and investigates a missing person and the dark dreges of London while other girls disappear. It stars Chase who is more of a grouch than the other characters have been so far. It was good, but so far not my favorite.
Historical Romanc...: This topic has been closed to new comments. BR - Since the Surrender 8 12 Dec 29, 2016 06:48AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 12, 2015 10:02AM
  • If I Fall (The Blue Raven, #4)
  • Captives of the Night (Scoundrels, #2)
  • At Your Pleasure
  • Trial by Desire (Carhart, #2)
  • Secrets of a Proper Countess
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • The Other Guy's Bride (Braxton, #2)
  • The Making of a Gentleman (The Sons of the Revolution, #2)
  • A Rake's Guide To Pleasure (Somerhart, #2)
  • Twice Tempted by a Rogue  (Stud Club, #2)
  • The Earl of Her Dreams
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • Swept Away by a Kiss (Rogues of the Sea, #1)
  • The Conquest of Lady Cassandra (Fairbourne Quartet, #2)
  • Something Sinful (Griffin Family, #3)
20987
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove it ...more
More about Julie Anne Long...

Pennyroyal Green (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • Between the Devil and Ian Eversea (Pennyroyal Green, #9)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
  • The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)

“Mister..."

"Wrexion." Chase supplied with great dignity. "Mr.Hugh G. Wrexion.”
8 likes
“Do you think Kinkade is Welland-Dowd?" she wondered
Chase burst into laughter so booming that every head on the street rotated, startled.
Oh,God. She'd just understood when she'd said it aloud.
Welland-Dowd.