Start by marking “Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green, #3)” as Want to Read:
Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green, #3)

Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green #3)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,460 ratings  ·  156 reviews
A man of action. . .

Fearless. Loyal. Brilliant. Ruthless. Bold words are always used to describe English war hero Captain Chase Eversea, but another word unfortunately plays a role in every Eversea's destiny: trouble. And trouble for Chase arrives in the form of a mysterious message summoning him to a London rendezvous . . . where he encounters the memory of his most wicke
Published July 28th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Since the Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Since the Surrender

I adore Julie Anne Long. I worship her. She's one of the most talented HR authors I know, if not the most talented, and she certainly deserves more credits. Her writing is beautiful and she gives me butterflies in my stomach every single time and I mean every single time. And yes, I'm going to say this, this is something that even writers such as Lisa Kleypas and Julia Quinn haven't managed to do.

You know what? This book doesn't deserve my 3 stars. The explosive chemistry is there, the H/h are b
This book only gets one star from me. Which is a crying shame, because 85% of the book is fantastic. It's funny, the mystery is good, the action is tense, and the hero says a few things that are surprisingly uncommon, even in romance novels.

(Mild spoilers here)
(view spoiler)
I stopped at Page 185, which is exactly the halfway point. I have been trying to read this on and off for 22 days and I just have to face the fact that this bk is a lost cause.

This novel has been getting mixed reviews all along and it grieves me that I am agreeing with the naysayers, since I was so impressed with the first 2 bks in this series (which were terrific). The first two books were different from each other and JAL tries yet another different story here but it's not as engaging.

The stor

Julie Anne Long has a terrific writing style because it consists of a deep-going way of characterisation, a love for the small but significant details and an vivid and authentic imagery.

This is a story about two people who have been attracted to each other and felt a strong connection for many years, but the heroine was married and one impropriety a handful years back led to a distanced relationship.
The relationship between these two, Rosalind and Chace, is one of those the reader can
The queen of metaphorical expression has, once again, penned a winner. Although I was pretty sure going in that Since the Surrender would not be as good as Like No Other Lover (one of my 5 all-time favorites), JAL does not disappoint her fans with this one. The sexual tension building up in the first 2/3 of the book is so palpable that by the time they actually get together you are on your last nerve! And then wham! they go at it every way but the "standard" way! I really feel that Long has fina ...more
Kim H
Since The Surrender is book 3 in Julie Anne Long's Pennyroyal Green series, and IMO, the best of the lot. Recuperating from war wounds and banished from the family home by concerned family members who think he could use a change of scenery, Captain Charles (Chase) Eversea is in London to call on a distant cousin & determine his suitability as the new vicar of Pennyroyal Green. A celebrated war hero, Chase feels adrift & superfluous, and thus makes plans to join the East India Company and ...more
I knew I was going to be in for the long haul when I realized this book is based on my second LEAST favorite romance plot: adulterers meet again and this time are free to fall in love.

I really hate this plot line.

In brief: Chase (Charles) Eversea is in London to check out the new vicar for Pennyroyal Green when he is summoned by Rosalind March. Ros's sister has gone missing and she needs Chase's connection to help find her.

Of course, Ros and Chase had an illicit kiss way back in the day
Susan (susayq ~)
Captain Chase Eversea can heat up the pages by doing nothing more than kissing a woman. The evidence is in this book ;) I didn't find this as funny as the last book in the series, but I did cackle quit a few when Chase gave his name as Hugh G Wrexion. I mean, come on. You can't help but laugh out loud at that like you're a 15 year old boy :)

What I think I liked best about this one was that Chase and Rosalind knew each other before the book started and had shared a brief, but passio
Mimi Smith

Not really my favorite book of the series. Possibly because I'm not fond of reunion stories. Possibly because Chase and Rosalind just didn't work for me. Could be the mystery aspect of it. Or maybe the puppets. I'll never be able to think of puppets in the same way again. Still, I love the way JAL writes, her characters are just so distinctive. This series is still awesome.

It's not that I hate it. I'm just ambivalent and a bit distant to it. Which is why I'm now running out of review-wr
This was a strange one. The romance is so confusing that I have to start with the secondary plot - a mystery that belonged more in an Anne Stuart. Long tried to make it lighter and amusing with certain details like the sets and the descriptions/antics of the characters, but I was too horrified to just go with it and find it amusing. I mean...(view spoiler) ...more
Since the Surrender is a prime example of a good author with bad editors. The various parts of this story - the "forbidden" couple reuniting, an injured veteran hero, a mystery surrounding the heroine's sister, and even the puppets - were interesting but did not come together by the end. The book also had two crucial scenes that any decent editor would have cut the moment he/she set eyes on them.

(view spoiler)
I'm a big fan of Julie Anne Long but this book just didn't cut it for me.
Although written in a humorous manner that is characteristic of Julie Anne Long; the writing failed to make up for what I felt was a completely lackluster romance. The focal point of the relationship between the H and h seemed to be unfulfilled desire, and while many swoon worthy romances start out that way, this particular relationship never evolved into something more substantial.
despite these flaws I was init
First of all, I enjoy Julie Anne Long's writing and this story has almost all: a passionate couple, mystery, love etc.
I liked the mysterious part and the search for Rosalind's sister even though I was aware who the culprit was from the beginning.
When it comes to the characters, I thought them to be very realistic and... yes, human. Even though I disliked some of their 'decisions' (view spoiler)
3 1/2 stars (rounded down to 3 stars, because no matter how enticing Ms. Long's writing was, the story failed to keep me engaged)
I...surrender. :)

This was my third JAL book, and I've sadly concluded that there won't be a fourth. I wanted so much to love this series, and I can easily see why many DO love this series. There's humor, some amusing banter, and a little adventure/suspense beyond just moving from one fancy ballroom to another :) These are all generally things that I love and look for in my romance novels, but I finally had to concede that these books just aren't for me.

This book illustrates most of my major pro
Manda Collins
Another multi-layered, funny, sweet, sexy Regency historical from Julie Anne Long. I loved Colin Eversea in Perils of Pleasure. And Miles Redmond, of Like No Other Lover, was the sexiest scholarly hero I've read in a while. But Captain Charles Eversea? His particular brand of soldierly directness combined with unexpected humor is pretty darn potent. I loved the way Long slowly unraveled the backstory between Chase and Rosalind giving details a little at a time until the whole was revealed. Their ...more
I read it, I liked it-but not quite as much as the first two in the series. Not sure why. Maybe because the sex/sexual tension wasn't quite as emotional as in the previous books. Or maybe it's because there was humor that didn't seem to fit the places it turned up. But I still liked it. And I'll be reading the rest of the Pennyroyal Green books.

This is the one with the secret doorways and disappearing young women, and the military hero and the heroine who's the widow of his commanding officer. H
Janice Hougland
Another stunning historical romance by this author! Capt. Charles (“Chase”) Eversea and Rosalind March, widow and former wife of Chase’s commanding officer during the war, meet again after five long years because Rosalind has requested Chase’s assistance in locating her younger sister after her disappearance from Newgate prison. The mystery of what happened to Rosalind’s sister and why Rosalind finds it so difficult to get into a serious relationship with Chase made for a very riveting story, fr ...more
"I know you wanted a chance to determine what you want. But what I want is this: I want to be wherever you are. Whatever that means. Wherever that might be. So if you want me, I will stay. For as long as you want me. However you want me. Because…” He sighed. “…I love you.”

(and that's the line that officially made me swoon)

I've made it my mission to read the Pennyroyal Green series. I'm doing it like it's my job. If only...

I really enjoyed Since the Surrender. Chase Eversea and Rosalind March we

I was a bit disappointed in this book. Maybe I expected too much because I loved the first two in the series.
Although I generally liked both H/h, I didn't feel like I got to know them. I should have. There was sure plenty of internal monologue! There was way too much narration for my taste. I like more dialog between the characters. In fact my favorite part of the book involved the interaction with the street urchin, Liam.
There was some good sexual tension and the lo
I think I graded this one so harshly because I loved the one before it so much. Like No Other Lover if you are interested :)

Why this book is two stars:
- The Plot was boring for the first 100 pages.
Seriously I don't know how I even stayed awake during those pages. The hero and heroine were rarely interacted and there was all these choppy flashbacks. When the plot did finally show up, it made it readable, but it still was kind of a "wtf is going on" story.

- Random sexy times.
They had sex at suc
Rosalind and Captain Chase Eversea has a past. They were both attracted to each other and unintentionally acted on it 5 yeas ago when Rosalind is the wife of Captain Chase's Colonel. They both haunted by it ever since.

Now, 5 years later, Rosalind is a cool, calm and collected widow who ask for Captain Chase's help in finding her missing sister. Apparently, her sister Lucy is missing from Newgate prison. She was brought there as a petty thief and suddenly gone without even a person acknowledging
This turned into a very enjoyable story. It took me half the book to get into though. There were alot of little pieces to fit together and I kept thinking I was missing something.

It was really a mystery starting with the disappearance of Rosalind's sister. She had been arrested for thievery and sent to Newgate from where she disappeared. Other pretty girls had disappeared as well, we later learn. Rosalind approaches Chase Eversea for help. He had served under her late husband in the war and the
Julie Anne Long! How I adore you. Since the Surrender was the last book of the Pennyroyal Green series that I haven't read yet (not counting The Legend of Lyon Redmond, which, as I write this review, hasn't been released). Verdict? A good Julie Anne Long book, but not my favorite.

The end seemed to devolve into Rosalind and Chase looking at each other and making various faces and the other completely understanding what was going on their head without words. It made me struggle to figure out whose
Favorite quotes:

Chase realized then that he’d inadvertently barked a command rather than a question. Habit of intonation. He immediately forgave himself.

“She would plummet to earth and land face first in a cow pat with wings like those.” Chase was irritated. “They would need to be at least three feet wider to get her airborne at all. She would never be able to fly, let alone be able to hold a harp while flying.” “Thank you, Icarus,” Rosalind said. “That’s fascinating.”

Her heart became a kite and
Lita Bouquard
Pupaphobia - Fear of puppets Chase the wounded Eversea war hero suffers from it. They are creepy and annoying in this story and by the end I hated puppets. If you don't like marrionette's just read someone's summary to catch up. This book was the first disappointment in what has been a wonderful historical/humorous romance series. The scenes with intimacy seem contrived - was the author thinking and now where can I have my Hero/Heroine do it? The story is worth reading because I plan to continu ...more
Too bad I feel so meh about this book because it has the best written kiss I think I've ever read in a novel.

That first kiss between the hero and heroine, in the flashback to their time in Brussels, was so perfect and the tension leading up to it had me holding my breath. In fact, the flashbacks and memories of the hero and heroine's wartime forbidden romance, when taken on their own, were 5 stars. Seriously, the writing and emotion in those bits was beautiful. But those flashbacks and memories
Sheila Melo
Good Addition to the Series

SINCE THE SURRENDER is the third book in the Pennyroyal Green series. Captain Chase Eversea met Rosalind March when she was married to his superior during the war. The two behaved in a dishonorable fashion and the two haven't seen one another in five years. Now Chase is living with having been wounded on the battlefield and Rosalind is a widow. Rosalind seeks out Chase when her sister goes missing. The two work together to solve the mystery while discovering one anothe
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 12, 2015 10:02AM
  • If I Fall (The Blue Raven, #4)
  • Written on Your Skin
  • Captives of the Night (Scoundrels, #2)
  • You Only Love Once (The Bow St. Agents: Spies in Love 3)
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
  • One Week As Lovers (Huntington, #3)
  • A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)
  • Once Upon a Scandal (Scandal, #2)
  • Flawless (The Christies, #1)
  • The Ice Princess (Princes Trilogy, #3.5)
  • The Other Guy's Bride (Braxton, #2)
  • In the Arms of a Marquess (Rogues of the Sea, #3)
  • How I Met My Countess (Bachelor Chronicles, #6)
  • Delicious
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove it ...more
More about Julie Anne Long...

Pennyroyal Green (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • Between the Devil and Ian Eversea (Pennyroyal Green, #9)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
  • The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)
What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5) How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6) The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1) Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2) I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)

"Wrexion." Chase supplied with great dignity. "Mr.Hugh G. Wrexion.”
“Do you think Kinkade is Welland-Dowd?" she wondered
Chase burst into laughter so booming that every head on the street rotated, startled.
Oh,God. She'd just understood when she'd said it aloud.