Start by marking “Haunted Waters” as Want to Read:
Haunted Waters

Haunted Waters

In this compelling tale of romance and terror, a little-known legend has been woven into a novel that will grip readers from beginning to end.

Who is Undine, the mysterious, wild maiden who swims at midnight to hear the fish sing? When Lord Huldbrand first meets her on a lost and haunted promontory, she seems utterly beautiful and pure. But gradually he begins to wonder jus
Published September 5th 1994 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Waters

Cheryl
Well it was a mercifully quick read. This had the potential to be so much better. My biggest complaint is the protagonist. She couldn't have made him much less appealing. He had little strength of character. The only thing that made him remotely attractive is the whole land holding thing.
Kevin
Sep 13, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it
As a confirmed book addict I always make sure to check the "Friends of the Library" sale section of any library I visit. Often you can get great deals on new and classic books. A few days ago I picked up Haunted Waters by Mary Pope Osborne at a local library in this fashion.

I was intrigued because it was a reworking of a myth, something I am fascinated by, and it was a short well packaged story - something I else enjoy.

After reading it last night I can say it was well worth the dollar I paid for
Eden
Nov 10, 2009 Eden rated it it was amazing
The book starts off with the main character, Lord Huldebrand, riding through the woods on his horse. Huldedbrand was on his way to meet with the duke and saw the opening to the woods. He couldn't help, but want to explore it. Huldebrand became lost in the woods and while trying to find his way out he runs into something. To him, it looks like a demon. It's standing right ahead of him, in the woods.

He was so frightened that he yelled and his horse began to run. He tried to stop the horse, but ev
Gale
Apr 04, 2013 Gale rated it it was amazing
MYTH AND MYSTERY FLOW LIKE LIQUID MIST

This expanded version of Fouque's fairy tale noir is excellent; the plot flows right along, emptying into a sea of despair. Twenty-four short chapters provide readers thiity for more details the opportunity to drink deeply of the intimate dialogue between the ill-starred couple: Undine, supposing herself the daughter of humble fisher olk, and young Lord Hudlbrand of Ringstetten, lost in the dark forest. While Fouque's heroine (see reviews for UNDINE) is fai
Julia Brumfield
May 04, 2015 Julia Brumfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, book
First of all I was interested in the author herself and wondering whether she could pull off writing a book of this genre after having immersed herself in such well known children's work. Mary Pope Osborne has done a wonderful job in proving that some authors are able to reach outside their comfort zone and hit the nail on the head.

First of all I don't really know what to say that has caught my attention on this book and kept it. The writing seems weak at times and very repetitive while Lord H
Jessica
Apr 02, 2009 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: advisory-08-09
Haunted Waters by Mary Pope Osborne, author of the Magic Tree House series, is told through the perspective of Lord Huldbrand after he was stranded on an unknown area of land where a fisherman, his wife and daughter Undine lives. Lord Huldbrand stays with the fisherman and his family for a couple of days. During his stay, Lord Huldbrand is captivated with Undine’s beauty and associations with the water. Before he leaves, Lord Huldbrand marries with Undine and brings her back to his castle where ...more
toonepersonyoumaybetheworld

I really like this book it was very interesting and i have read books like this before with a lot of paranormal things but this has been one of my favorites.

This book is about a girl named Eundine and a king named Lord Hulbrand. They live in a cottage by the sea and they notice a monster trying to take Eundine. They finally went to his palace and got married. Before the wedding Eundine was feeling sick because she remembered the monsters face and thought she did not want to make the wrong choic
Huiling_mei
Apr 14, 2008 Huiling_mei rated it it was ok
Haunted waters by Mary Pope Osborne, is about a man who meets a woman from another world. Undine is the one who belongs to the sea king, but she does not know that until she moves and marries to Huldbrand. Because their love was not strong enough Undine was not able to stay with him and he lost her forever to the sea. Urdine was full of mysteries from a world where humans do not exist. When Huldbrand moved on in life and was about to remarry, Undine came back to take his life away.
When humans
Heidi-Marie
Well....It's a fast read. I expected good writing from Osborne. She certainly had me at the "couldn't put it down" phase. I was expecting more "Little Mermaid." I was not familiar with the German fairy tale "Undine." Well, now I am and I'm glad Osborne strayed from the original or else I would have been furious at the waste of my time and of her talent. It's a book that leaves me thinking, that is certain. But those thoughts I do not think will eventually lead to making me a different person ...more
Janine
Jul 17, 2013 Janine rated it really liked it
I found that I did not like the way this story progressed. I found it a bit abrupt and sometimes confusing. I did like the story though. I thought it was an original fairy tale. It was not like the damsel in distress who is rescued by Prince Charming. Undine is stronger then Huldbrand mentally and physically. Even Bertalda had more emotional strength then Huldbrand. It was refreshing to read a child's story with strong female characters.
Whitney
Apr 13, 2009 Whitney rated it liked it
This had a unique story, kinda a fairy tale setting. I thought that the story could have been more detailed and made to be a little longer. The story has so much one can expound upon. I looked up the origins of the Ondine story and it is a unique story. I think more could have been done with this story, but it was enjoyable.
Joelle
This was a good book. It was a very easy read, and it took me less than an hour to finish. It was written by Mary Pope Osborne; who was the author of the Magic Tree House series. This book has a haunting ghost story, and is very fast paced.
Shannon
Jul 23, 2010 Shannon rated it it was ok
Another book I found on SwapTree that I thought I would get for one of my children. The book is based on a German fable. It could have been edited and enhanced to make it a more enjoyable read. I like Mary Pope Osborne's style of writing, but I don't intend on having my kids read it.
Angel
Aug 24, 2011 Angel rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Lyrical and eloquent I expected this to have been written long ago. But it wasn't. As it turns out it was written in 1994. A great tale almost myth like in its telling. I believe there is a true myth regarding the same character. A very quick and easy tale.
Tracy
Celena
This book i found very intriguing, I loved it and the ending was perfect I re-read this book several times and have not gotten bored from it. Its a great book and I recommend it.
Shani
Aug 12, 2009 Shani rated it really liked it
It was beautifully melancholy, if you know what I mean. Really very lovely, it nevertheless had a sad aura. Nevertheless, I thouroughly enjoyed it.
~*Trema Renae*~
Feb 09, 2012 ~*Trema Renae*~ rated it it was ok
Here is my complete review:
Tina
Mar 17, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it
it was different.....interesting......BEAUTIFUL!! its suppsed to be horror but its also a love story.
Shawna
Shawna rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2010
Miriam Heiss
Miriam Heiss rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Valkuri
Valkuri rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2011
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2009
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Candi
Candi rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Renee
Renee rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2010
Jillian
Jillian rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Natty
Nov 06, 2013 Natty rated it liked it
I wish she would have told the characters back stories.
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 29, 2014
Rylee
Rylee rated it did not like it
Nov 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Innocence
  • The Art of Ceres: Celestial Legend
  • The Return of Skeleton Man
  • Tattoo Girl
  • The Ghost Road (The Haunting of Derek Stone, Book 4)
  • The High Skies Adventures of Blue Jay the Pirate
  • The Mystery of The Fool and The Vanisher
  • The Song of Mavin Manyshaped (The Chronicles of Mavin Manyshaped, #1)
  • Young Woman in a Garden: Stories
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • Ship of Dolls
  • Emily Windsnap and the Ship of Lost Souls (Emily Windsnap, #6)
  • The Music of Zombies (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #5)
  • Ninemia (Antara, #2)
  • Oh My Goddess! Volume 10: Miss Keiichi
  • Sylva and the Fairy Ball (The Fairy Bell Sisters #1)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...