Laird of the Wind

Laird of the Wind (Celtic Nights #4)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In medieval Scotland, the warrior known as Border Hawk seizes the castle belonging to the father of the beautiful Isabel Scott, famous throughout the Lowlands for her gift of prophecy. During the battle, Isabel is injured while fighting alongside her men, and placed under Border Hawk's protection. As the border wars rage on, the warrior and prophetess engage in a more inti...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published August 1st 1998 by Topaz

Kari
I think I'm actually being generous with 3 stars. The book moves real slow but my biggest complaint is the amount of information we get on hawks. Falconry, hawks, what they eat, how they sleep, sizes, colors, shapes, everything you can imagine about hawks in medieval times. It was a manual for hawk owners, paragraphs and paragraphs of useless info on hawks. There is a metaphor about the hero being like a hawk (hence he is the Laird of the Wind) so the hawk references were supposed to be relevant...more
Regan Walker
Worthy Hawk-Themed Medieval Romance

This was my first by Susan King and I really enjoyed it. She paints rich visual images of the times and the places and the characters are well described and memorable.

Set in Scotland in the early 14th century, this is the story of Isobel of Aberlady who has a gift of visions that describe events to come. Her father and the family priest guard her gift and take notes when she has the visions as she remembers nothing afterwards. Believing he will protect her, he...more
Val
Okay, so I ran a marathon of Susan King novels in my trip to Europe. Sorta. And I've discovered a few things.

First, that my most 'critical' reviews are often of books I end up rating 5 stars. I guess that's probably because I find more stuff to critizice when I'm actually paying attention to/caring about the book.

Secondly, that Susan King has a strict formula to make these books. So far I've only read The Sword Maiden, Black Thorne's Rose, and Laird of the Wind and I had to admit, they are all...more
Kit★
3.5 Stars! Book of the month in Western and Medieval Romance Lovers group for January, my nomination won! It'd been years since I read anything by Susan King, though I have read a couple by her in the past and remember really enjoying them. Never read this one though, so wasn't real sure what to expect.
Right away though, I was drawn into the medieval setting. This book is no 'wallpaper' historical. To me, the author put a great amount of work into the research. I felt like I was there, the char...more
Julie
It's a historical romance set right after William Wallace is killed. James is one of the men who ran with William and feels responsible for his William's death. He's an outlaw and decides to take matters into his own hands by abducting Black Isobel, a Scottish prophetess, and offering her in exchange for some of the things/people that have been taken from him. Of course things don't go as he planned.

Gorgeous scenery, great hero/heroine, and wonderful history woven in between. (For my clean read...more
Patricia Kate
This book consisted of Scottish history, falconry, and adventure with a little bit of romance (and even a paranormal element, as well). I would have preferred the romance to be a bigger part of the story. Overall the story line wasn't that compelling and I could have easily not finished it.

This is the first book I've read from this author and not sure I want to read any others, based upon this experience.
Lady Claire, Marchioness of Fancy Pants
Poo! I only got half way through this one. The beginning was okay, but there was waaaay too much talk about William Wallace and how the character felt like he was responsible for his death. There was so much talk about it that it honestly felt like the author copied and pasted words and thoughts from earlier in the book into later in the book. And both characters got way to sappy for me. I like it when they hate each other and fight all the time. Long story, short. This book was boring!
Noelle
The hawk/trapped wild woman metaphor got old fast. It was also pretty annoying having the characters explain aloud what had already been established multiple times before. It's as if the author thought I might have forgotten why Jamie hates the Baron, etc. Honestly, there's not much else going on in the book (other than a manual on how to train a hawk), does Susan King really think we can't keep up?
Anne
Dec 31, 2013 Anne added it
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers
Set in 14th century Scotland, Isobel has the gift of visions which is zealously guarded by her father and the family priest. Her father betroths her to Ralph Leslie, a knight who she has misgivings about. When she meets Jamie Lindsay, a laird who has turned outlaw, the sparks fly. There is a lot of adventure, actual hawks in the story, no graphic sex and a good read. Recommended.
Rishi Diams
Well, as a treatise on hawking, it's exceptional, an excellent resource. As a love story ... well, I liked the characters and I liked their interactions but the relationship was buried beneath the incredibly detailed story of the hero training a goshawk.
Nancy
From the look of the book cover, you would think this is a hot & heavy romance novel...not so! It is Scottish historical fiction from the time of William Wallace & Robert the Bruce.
Pamela Aares
Found this gem by accident and loved it. Lush, engaging, wonderful hero and heroine. Could feel the Scottish lowlands from her marvelous descriptions.
Becky
This book was kind of boring. I thought that the author was overly discriptive. It seemed to take forever to finish.
Kristen
A weird cross between Robin Hood and Braveheart. And the excessive hawking references were tiresome...just okay.
Kristina
This book is 10% romance, 10% adventure and 80% drawn out metaphors/training of a hawk. Too much filler.
Alison
Nicely written fluff....really got into the hawk info.
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
Jeannie Bourgeois
Jeannie Bourgeois marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Susan Garrett
Susan Garrett marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Cecelia
Cecelia marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Caidy
Caidy is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
SUSAN FRASER KING is a multi-published, bestselling, award-winning author and a former art history lecturer. She holds a B.A. in art and an M.A. and most of a Ph.D. in art history, with postgraduate work in medieval studies. Her books are widely praised for historical detail and a lyrical writing style, and she has won multiple honors and awards for her novels written as Susan King and Sarah Gabri...more
More about Susan King...
The Stone Maiden (Celtic Nights, #1) The Swan Maiden (Celtic Nights, #2) The Angel Knight (Faulkener Family, #1) The Sword Maiden (Celtic Nights, #3) Lady Miracle (Faulkener Family, #2)