Start by marking “Sex. Lies. Murder. Fame.” as Want to Read:
Sex. Lies. Murder. Fame.

Sex. Lies. Murder. Fame.

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  24 reviews
In sex.lies.murder.fame., Lolita Files delivers a sizzling satire set against the affluence and sensuality of the literary and music worlds that explores the outrageous lengths to which three devout fame-chasers will go to seek their fortune.

Fame is a b*#%$. And when boy meets b*#%$, nothing can keep the two of them apart. Penn Hamilton is young, brilliant, beautiful, and
Published January 10th 2006 by Amistad Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sex. Lies. Murder. Fame., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex. Lies. Murder. Fame.

Mocha Girl
Set amid the backdrop of New York City's impervious and highly competitive literary world, a disinherited, struggling writer, Penn Hamilton, plots his course to stardom. Born with dastardly good looks and a genius I.Q., Penn seduces the top editor in the business, Beryl Unger. Beryl is a homely, narcoleptic, obsessive-compulsive workaholic who instantly falls for Penn's charms and his manuscript. The spin-doctors are engaged and Penn, as much as his novel, is an overnight sensation. The money, p ...more
Cupcakencorset
The story of a megalomaniacal gorgeous genius who can’t do anything wrong (except that whole homicidal sociopathy thing, that is) and his narcoleptic, OCD’d editor, with all kinds of literary gracenotes and self-conscious name-dropping that is possibly really clever and also possibly really overdone. I liked parts of it, disliked others, found it quirky, finished it quickly. Now I’m not sure if I should have started it at all. Oh, well, c’est la vie, n’est-ce pas? Or in this case, c’est la lectu ...more
Justin
The book was only 361 pages long and it took her 100+ pages to develop the two main characters. I was really wondering when the plot was going to begin, and by the time it did, I was already busy searching for things to like about the book rather than being immersed in it. I suppose I went into the story expecting more, especially in the comedy department, but I just couldn't get passed how slow it started. Though it compelled me to finish the book, and it was written well.
Tarah
Not my favorite of Lolita Files' books. She didn't have a single character that you could root for. Maybe it was her goal to portray the characters in a glossy surface, tabloid kind of way. I only stuck with the book because I have so much respect for Files I believed it would get better.
I did like the way she used the concepts and literary techniques as the headings for the upcoming chapters i.e. nihilism, deus ex machina.
Kiswana
Devon
Read October 2006

Was this supposed to be funny??? If so then it deserves 5 stars and all the praise some of the other reviewers gave it. If not then I can only, in good conscience give it 2 stars...and maybe that is being generous. It said on the back flap that this was supposed to be a satire, a satire of what I am not sure though. I enjoyed this book up until about half way through when it just became so preposterous that I kept finding myself laying it down to have a good laugh. Everything ab
Christina Rau
Sex.Lies.Murder.Fame. It's not your regular chicklit novel. It's far from it. It's a women's fiction book. It's a thriller. It's a psychological insider's perspective on celebrity life. It's a comment on the publishing industry. It's about ugly people and pretty people and drugs and drinking and gettin it on with anything that moves. It's by Lolita Files. (That's not a pen name!)

I friggin could not wait to finish this book so I read it everywhere. I read it at work a lot while my classes wrote t
Jamal
lolita files wasted no time with unraveling characters and laying out the plot....I love How easy it was to become invested in certain characters....It was impossible to look away from ....GREAT WORK Cool Story!
Michael
Ha! I loved the main character, Penn. I was rooting for him the whole time. He takes what he wants. Small points are hilarious: like the way he hates his IKEA bed, and that it has a name and inspires him to greatness. I think this book is genius and really funny. (Though I sense an intended irony that is not lost, but certainly wasted on me. Penn is supposed to be a "bad symbol"? But things were so comical by the time he gets nasty that it did not matter.)
Sabrina
All in all, I really enjoyed this book. The protagonist Penn was the "antihero" so to speak. He was so different- not the normal main character. Despite his characteristics he is such a moving character. The book's plot is different and moving. There was nary a moment of boredom. It turned a normally cliched idea (going to NYC to try to strike it big) into a completely original peace. Very nice. Glad I stumbled upon it.
Jen McGovern
i chose this book because one of the main characters is an editor, but i kept reading it because it was awesome. the book explores all of the things mentioned in the title, coldly delineating each one. definitely parts that made me gasp out loud. this book explores what people will do to reach fame, and makes you wonder where you'd stop if you wanted it badly enough.
Chrystal
Lolita Files' "A Child of God" was just excellent so when my daughter purchased "Sex. Lies, Murder. Fame" in 2006 I said I wanted to read it. However, there were just so many other books & issues that kept allowing me to push it to the side, but I now have the opportunity to read it (while reading 2 others) and I'm going to do so.
Tara Mccarthy
Aug 17, 2008 Tara Mccarthy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a RACY read
Shelves: finished-reading
This book was definitely racy...not a typical book I would choose but a fun/quick summer read, nonetheless. The author (female) should get props for writing from the perspective of an (egomaniacal) angry male...I honestly thought the author must have been a man based on the way things were phrased, written, etc.
Alyssa
Maybe it just wasn't my taste, but I did not really like this book. I feel like the author has man issues or something becuase every male character was protrayed as a heartless, self centered jerk. I would not recommend it.
Cheryl A.
Karen Cruz
I love this book. I almost am sure this would make a great film with the right casting and director. There's sex, love, suspense, murder what more could you want.
Marthe
Dark satire set against the vivid lifestyle of three memorable characters, to be a scalding critique of society’s obsession with fame and celebrity.
Karen Cruz
This story lived up to the title to a "T". I got so involved with the characters and even played the movie in my head. Great book.
Simone
This book was very slow to start. The ending was interesting, and not what I was expecting. Interesting read.
miss
First time reading a book by Lolita. Not a disappointment at all. Looking foward to reading more from her.
Lauren
I really wanted this book to be good, but I just couldn't get into it.
Jamie
Feb 23, 2008 Jamie marked it as my-amazon-cart
With a title like that, can you really go wrong? Ha!
Lacie
Very deceiving....good book though.
remarkable
this was an interesting read
Jameka Coakley
Jameka Coakley marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Sophie Sealy
Sophie Sealy is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
  • One Day I Saw a Black King
  • Gotham Diaries
  • Passport Diaries
  • Can't Get Enough
  • Shades of Jade (Strivers Row)
  • Nowhere Is a Place
  • Ain't Gonna Be the Same Fool Twice
  • A Woman's Worth
  • Boaz Brown
Lolita Files is a contemporary African-American author and screenwriter. Files has a degree in Broadcast Journalism from the University of Florida and is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.
More about Lolita Files...
Scenes from a Sistah Child of God Tastes Like Chicken: A Novel Getting to the Good Part Blind Ambitions

“This is what happens to those who sit still. People who did nothing ended up with nothing lives lived on nothing furniture inside a nothing space doing nothing watching nothing being nothing. They became supernovas of nothingness that turned into black holes of pathetic shit as they sank in on themselves and disappeared from existance. People like that were not even missed.” 20 likes