Start by marking “Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl” as Want to Read:
Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl

Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  1,702 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Is Something Missing in Your Life? Lysa TerKeurst knows what it's like to consider God just another thing on her to-do list. For years she went through the motions of a Christian life: Go to church. Pray. Be nice. Longing for a deeper connection between what she knew in her head and her everyday reality, she wanted to personally experience God's presence. Drawing from her ...more
Published September 22nd 2009 by Zondervan (first published September 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl

Mandy J. Hoffman
There are books that you like and recommend. Then there are those books that you wonder how they even got published. And then there are books like this one that stay with you and you rave to all your friends about it.

Lysa has written a book that will cling to you for days...even weeks...after you have read it, and then browsed the "notes" section because it was that good!

When the book arrived in my mailbox I flipped through the pages in search of the lists telling me what t-do and what not-to-do
Sunflower
Nov 28, 2010 Sunflower rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Forever”. That was the last chapter of “Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl”. Chapter 18-Forever.

Sadly, the book cannot last forever and instead, it ended with a beautiful chapter talking about forever with our Heavenly Father. Reading and working through “Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl” was an amazing journey, because it is more and wasn’t about how to effectively bible study.

Thankfully to our Heavenly Father, is that our relationship with our Heavenly Father is forever

There
Tori
Mar 05, 2014 Tori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plain and simply, this book is changing my life. I apologize if that sounds melodramatic but God is working in my heart and mind through what I've read in this book. I am reading this as part of a small group study and still have a couple of days before I meet with my Bible Study Girls to discuss it but I had to capture my thoughts right now!

Not only does Lysa TerKeurst write as if she is sitting across a table having coffee with you, she has an uncanny ability to make statements that drive stra
Tracy Schuster
Oct 13, 2009 Tracy Schuster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book and am going to read it again and take notes. She writes so easily, makes you laugh, makes you think, makes you WANT to think about what it means to be more than a good Bible study girl. She's real and it comes through in her writings and stories about herself. Would recommend this book to anyone who wants a deeper, better, real relationship with God. She gives very practical things you can do to draw closer to Him.
Trish
This is the first of Lysa's books I have read. Her work is easy to read and very relatable to every day life. I appreciated her frankness and honesty in sharing her personal experiences; helping me to see her human struggles with her spiritual growth. This will definitely be a book which I will return to in the future to re-read all or portions of.
Susan
Jan 22, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down once I started. Lysa has a wonderful way of sharing her life story and showing others how to bring out the good in themselves. I would highly recommend it to ladies of all ages. I would love to do the actual Bible study that goes along with it as well.
Lisa  Schlottmann
This book was AWESOME! I loved it so much and recommend it to everyone! All of her quirky stories like the "Great Brownie Failure of 2008" were things I HAVE done. I could easily relate to everything and found the book full of funny stories (and a few sad ones too, but more funny ones;) that I could easily relate to and learn from. I was the Pineapple girl too, lol! This is a GREAT book!
Jill
Nov 24, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We can be good Bible study girls and still not be living out the truths we are studying. Why? Because it’s easy to study but often difficult to apply the hard truths to our life that God serves up in the Scriptures. In “Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl,” Lysa Terkeurst offers a solution to the endless studying without application. It won’t be easy and will involve looking deep inside yourself for the reasons we act the way we do and the desire to turn away from our flesh.
If you are ye
Joselle173
Mar 03, 2012 Joselle173 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
From the Introduction:

"So what is the message I'm delivering in this book? I want to help women not only know God's truth but also feel equipped to live it out in their everyday lives. For too many years I was full of Bible knowledge with no idea how to let the truths I knew impact my daily life. I would go to Bible study, leave all inspired, and then come home and have a complete meltdown over spilling bleach on my favorite shirt. Or a kid's bad attitude. Or finding out a friend betrayed me. Or
Becca
Jan 01, 2016 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read so many Lysa's books. God plays this book in my path at this exact moment in my life for a reason. I could love to tell you that this is my favorite book by Lysa, it truly may be. The personal stories and scripture coinciding have been an encouragement. Every chapter I have caught myself thinking, "Yes, a totally similar thing happened to me.!"
If I had read this book when it was first published, by heart would not have resonated with the tales & wisdom Lysa imparts. I'm great fu
Mary Rose
May 17, 2014 Mary Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the BEST books on Christian living I have ever read! I would use this with new Christians and mature alike. Lysa has a wonderful and funny writing style that draws you in, engages you, and helps you apply God's Word to your own life.
Kelly Hodgkins
Jan 24, 2016 Kelly Hodgkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book! Loved it, particularly the last 3 chapters and it was a great bible study to do in a small group!
Sandie
May 30, 2015 Sandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-women
I was able to relate to Lysa as she explained each point. I really enjoyed this book! I followed along on an ebook while listening to her read it on audiobook.
DD
Dec 28, 2016 DD rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This book was a great encouragement and I would read it again. I really liked the audio as well since Lysa is the reader.
Barbara
Jan 24, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw this book, I thought it was going to be about getting more from one’s Bible study. Though Lysa does discuss that in a couple of chapters, the overall purpose of the book is to move Bible study from our to-do list and just acquiring knowledge, to living out what God is teaching us, to enjoy a deeper connection with God.

Lysa says in the first chapter:

I want my life with Jesus to be fulfilling. I want my beliefs to work no matter what life throws at me. I want to be so certain of G
Lori
Dec 28, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would give this five stars! I have loved both of Lysa’s books, but this one really struck home for me. As a result of reading this book, I have committed to getting up ten minutes early each day to read my Bible and pray. I may eventually increase that time, but for now I want to get into a good habit. Each day for the last week, I have gotten up and enjoyed the quiet of my house. I write down the chapter I read plus one verse that really stuck out to me. I write down who and what I prayed for ...more
Cathy Cramer
I preferred the Unglued book and study that Lysa Terkeurst wrote in that it was more entertaining and the stories funnier. But important issues are not always entertaining and this women's Bible study had good concepts in it, too. I suppose that the floating mattress was funny. I think this book would be particularly appropriate for new Christians wondering how to apply what they read to their lives. Well, that can be challenging for all of us, at times. I told my kids her story about how she be ...more
Cathy Cramer
Rianna B
Feb 17, 2016 Rianna B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was really great to read. THere are some simple ideas. I would definitely recommend it to anyone hoping to live life more than just inside certain "rules" of their every day life. She shares some of her growing up and recent experiences of how God has changed her view on aspects of her life. Big theme in it, I feel like, is don't put limitations/ "put God in a box." Pray crazy prayers. Unplug every so often from the electronics. Take your time to be present with God. Be intentional and set ...more
Ireneb.
Apr 18, 2016 Ireneb. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in making a personal connection with God
Recommended to Ireneb. by: Proverbs 31 Ministry
Shelves: inspirational
A wonderful book with a theme that encourages Christian women to go beyond the daily Christian "to-do list" (ie. attend church, study the Bible, etc.) and develop a personal relationship with God from the inside out. The author, Lysa TerKeurst, shares her experiences about her own relationship with God in such a way that is heartfelt and brutally honest, at times. Lysa is a great storyteller, and her personal anecdotes about her own experiences with God are often amusing and lighthearted.
The bo
Kathryn
May 12, 2016 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Lysa TerKeurst has written a timely message to Christians to help them grow in their daily walk. In an engaging, heart-felt, transparent style she encourages a deeper walk with Jesus and God. She supports her message with scripture passages that resonate and challenge the believer to step to a higher level of commitment. Not just to read and study, not just to be a "Sunday Christian" but to do and act. And in acting and trusting, to be prepared for a closer, more intimate walk with God.

Her exam
Jan 22, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
First, I have to explain why it took me so long to read this book. We used it in by Bible study class, but about halfway through, we had to put it aside because our pastor was coming to teach from a different book. I really wanted to finish it, but decided to wait for the class. Finally, we're finishing it this week. I really liked this book! She's so down-to-earth, funny, and practical with her lessons. She makes numerous points that can really be taken to heart. The study guide that goes with ...more
Chris
Aug 02, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure I can do this book justice with my review but I will try. Well, let me start by saying that I felt doors opening in my heart and mind as I read Lysa's words. I found myself turning more and more to the Bible and gaining a better understanding of verses that I once found confusing.
The results of reading this book are many and they are all good. I feel like I've been given a gift - a huge spiritual gift that makes me long for a more intense relationship with God. This book has uplift
Ladonda
Feb 17, 2016 Ladonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering I'd really rather read fiction, I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I did a ladies bible study with my church this spring and this was the book that was chosen. Each chapter is easy to read and laid out in a way that is straight forward. Lysa presents bible revelation in a way that is easy to understand and not so "spiritual" it goes over your head. It doesn't matter if you are a new believer or been walking with the Lord years, this book has something for all if us. I plan on b ...more
Patricia
May 26, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Read this book in conjunction with her video series and the accompanying workbook, with a small group of women gathered weekly. TerKeurst offers examples of her walk of faith through day to day challenges in a down to earth, easy to relate to style. I found her suggestions refreshing and applicable. Certainly can be read without the workbook but I thought the workbook made me think a little more and a little harder about what I learned in the book. The video series was cute but not essential. It ...more
4fabfelines Cox
Jan 15, 2010 4fabfelines Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lisa's book is a honest heart to heart talk, like sitting with a good friend. This book has simple and profound truths through it all.
She i very transparent about her own life and shortcomings and gives clear and real answers that worked for her and will for you too.
I recommend this book for anyone who struggles in daily life as a Christian.
Certain chapters really stand out and shine:
When I don't feel like i measure up..
She likes me, she likes me not..
And the bet I think: I want what she has..
V
Aug 12, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-study
Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl is great for new Christians or those who do not have a deep relationship with Christ. The book hits on things that Lysa has went through herself. Many of the stories from her life are funny; however, I prefer books with a little more meat. So if you are looking for spiritual milk this is a great book, but if you are looking for real food, you may want to look for a different Bible study.
Aug 12, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-study
Becky
May 26, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So inspiring! Lysa encourages me to not settle for good enough, but to seek after a relationship with God with all my heart. It is rather scary, but so much more fulfilling than religion. Lysa's testimony is a blessing to those of us who still feel inadequate to perceived expectation. Don't just read the Bible, study it for spiritual sustenance - "O taste and see..."
Jessica Weleski
I'm not sure I would have gotten tons out of this book on my own, but I read it with a group of women and watched the companion DVDs, and the author does touch on universal struggles for all women. The discussions prompted by the book were helpful, and I did find the author's voice to be genuine and engaging.
  • One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land
  • Living So That: Making Faith-Filled Choices in the Midst of a Messy Life (InScribed)
  • Taming the To-Do List
  • Let. It. Go.: How to Stop Running the Show and Start Walking in Faith
  • The Mended Heart: God's Healing for Your Broken Places
  • A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises
  • 5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn't Quit
  • Sacred Influence: How God Uses Wives to Shape the Souls of Their Husbands
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking by Faith, Not by Sight
  • It's No Secret: Revealing Divine Truths Every Woman Should Know
  • Everything: What You Give and What You Gain to Become Like Jesus
  • God's Heart for You: Embracing Your True Worth as a Woman
  • Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • What Women Fear: Walking in Faith that Transforms
  • Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God
  • No Other gods: Confronting Our Modern Day Idols
  • Becoming the Woman God Wants Me to Be: A 90-Day Guide to Living the Proverbs 31 Life
Lysa TerKeurst is a New York Times bestselling author of 18 books including The Best Yes, Unglued, and Made to Crave.

As president of Proverbs 31 Ministries, Lysa and her team connect with millions of women a day and can help equip you to:
• Make the Bible come alive whenever you read it.
• Discover how to develop inner peace and security in any situation.
• Replace doubt, regret and envy with truth,
More about Lysa TerKeurst...

“Not reaching back for what was lost in my yesterdays. And not reaching for what I hope will be in my tomorrow. But living fully with what is right in front of me. And truly seeing the gift of this moment.” 39 likes
“Instead of always looking to get fulfillment from my loved ones and the other blessings in my life, I can simply enjoy them for what they are.” 20 likes