Out of Season: A Posadas County Mystery

Out of Season: A Posadas County Mystery (Bill Gastner Mystery #7)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Venice, 1734. Singer Tito Amato has let fame go to his head. Neglecting his vocal practice for dubious pleasures, Tito finds himself demoted to secondary roles and overshadowed by a visiting star. When the murder of scene painter Luca Cavalieri threatens
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published October 13th 1999)

Dale
Well depicted characters make this one a winner!

The mystery is not all that mysterious. No international criminal ring threatens. National Security and the fate of the free world do not depend on what happens in Posadas County, New Mexico and its tired and ready to retire Undersheriff Bill Gastner. That, of course, is the charm and strength of Out of Season .

Posadas County, New Mexico's small sheriff''s department suffers the loss of its well-intentioned but inexperienced Sheriff in a plane acci...more
Susan
This is the seventh story in a series about Bill Gastner, first Undersheriff, now Sheriff, of (fictional) Posadas County in southwestern New Mexico. The county is ranching land just north of the border with Mexico, Las Cruces is the nearest city, an interstate highway passes through, and Posadas is the county seat. Like much of New Mexico, this county is rural and sparsely populated.

Steven Havill began writing this series in the early 1990s, and it continues to this day. He's done a great job wi...more
Robert J.
Another in the increasingly good series, which I'm reading in order. This session is nonstop Gastner, freed up to do police work his own way in the investigation of the death of the Sheriff. With some unconventional plot twists and some excellent desert rats taking the place of the bicoastal red herrings you usually get, this novel flies right along to an unconventional conclusion. Not quite enough Estelle Reyes-Guzman in this one for my taste, but it was still a great read.
Ed
#7 in the Posadas County mysteries. An outstanding entry in an outstanding series. Deputy Estelle Reyes-Guzman, extremely bright and talented, is leaving the Posadas Cty, New Mexico Sheriff's office to follow her doctor husband to his new position in Minnesota. Added to that plot line concerning a popular character, the Sheriff is killed, leaving Undersheriff Bill Gastner to solve the crime. Watching Gastner follow the clues and determine how the crime could have been committed is a pure joy.

Pos...more
Ed Coker
I found this book in a used book shop in Marathon, Texas, (in the middle of nowhere) while on a trip to the Big Bend National Park. I mention it primarily to recommend it as the first in a must-read series for anyone who might like a southwestern police (er, county sheriff) procedural. Set in fictional Posadas County, Steven Havill has created a great set of characters who you want to hear more about. I prefer Havill to Hillerman, another superb Southwestern writer.
Kristin
What's wrong with me? Rosemary liked this one best, but I didn't find it compelling. I finished it, but it just seemed to lope along... I do like the characters, so that kept me going.
Rosemary
PROTAGONIST: Undersheriff Bill Gastner
SERIES: #7
SETTING: New Mexico
I really liked this one! My favorite so far in a series that just keeps delivering!
Brenda Hansen
If you love mysteries, especially those set in the Southwest, this is the series for you. Excellent stories with great characters.
Elizabeth
Havill never repeats himself, goes straight ahead from murder to resolution, this i so refreshing.
Jim Sampson
A good stor with sheriff gastner looking into a crash of a plane. Enjoy gastner and his team.
Michele bookloverforever
recommend this series highly. mr. havill's mysteries are a great read.
April
I really enjoy this book series. Someday will have to read them in order.
Claudia
My least favorite of the series.
Melanie Bingham
Melanie Bingham marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
NE
NE added it
Jun 26, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Nurur Rahman
Nurur Rahman marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Steven F. Havill is an American author of mysteries and westerns.

Havill lives in Raton, New Mexico, with his wife Kathleen. He has written two series of police procedurals set in the fictional Posadas County, New Mexico; along with other works.

More about Steven F. Havill...
Heartshot Red, Green, or Murder Bitter Recoil Twice Buried Before She Dies