Start by marking “Out of Season: A Posadas County Mystery” as Want to Read:
Out of Season: A Posadas County Mystery

Out of Season: A Posadas County Mystery (Bill Gastner Mystery #7)

Venice, 1734. Singer Tito Amato has let fame go to his head. Neglecting his vocal practice for dubious pleasures, Tito finds himself demoted to secondary roles and overshadowed by a visiting star. When the murder of scene painter Luca Cavalieri threatens
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published October 13th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Season

Cathy Cole
Jun 27, 2017 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another sterling entry in Steven F. Havill's Posadas County mystery series. The author has put so much life into this fictional county in southwestern New Mexico that you'd swear it was real-- and if it were, I'd want to go for a visit.

Out of Season covers a lot of ground. It shows us ranchers trying to survive when money is every bit as scarce as water but those bills still have to be paid. It shows us a tiny sheriff's department trying to subsist on a shoestring budget at a time when e
Dale
Jul 02, 2012 Dale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well depicted characters make this one a winner!

The mystery is not all that mysterious. No international criminal ring threatens. National Security and the fate of the free world do not depend on what happens in Posadas County, New Mexico and its tired and ready to retire Undersheriff Bill Gastner. That, of course, is the charm and strength of Out of Season .

Posadas County, New Mexico's small sheriff''s department suffers the loss of its well-intentioned but inexperienced Sheriff in a plane acc
Ed
Apr 26, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#7 in the Posadas County mysteries. An outstanding entry in an outstanding series. Deputy Estelle Reyes-Guzman, extremely bright and talented, is leaving the Posadas Cty, New Mexico Sheriff's office to follow her doctor husband to his new position in Minnesota. Added to that plot line concerning a popular character, the Sheriff is killed, leaving Undersheriff Bill Gastner to solve the crime. Watching Gastner follow the clues and determine how the crime could have been committed is a pure joy.

Pos
Robert Scott
Finished 05/27/2014. Bill Gastner is planning to retire, Estelle Reyes-Guzman is moving to Minnesota with her husband, Eddie Mitchell is being recruited by a larger county, & Roberto Torres is getting married to Gayle Sedillos. Then the sheriff, Martin Holman, who hates flying, goes on a flight with his brother in law and the plane crashes and both are DOA. And it all hinges on herds of contained antelopes for illegal hunting. #7 +
Ed Coker
Feb 14, 2010 Ed Coker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in a used book shop in Marathon, Texas, (in the middle of nowhere) while on a trip to the Big Bend National Park. I mention it primarily to recommend it as the first in a must-read series for anyone who might like a southwestern police (er, county sheriff) procedural. Set in fictional Posadas County, Steven Havill has created a great set of characters who you want to hear more about. I prefer Havill to Hillerman, another superb Southwestern writer.
Robert J.
Apr 11, 2014 Robert J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the increasingly good series, which I'm reading in order. This session is nonstop Gastner, freed up to do police work his own way in the investigation of the death of the Sheriff. With some unconventional plot twists and some excellent desert rats taking the place of the bicoastal red herrings you usually get, this novel flies right along to an unconventional conclusion. Not quite enough Estelle Reyes-Guzman in this one for my taste, but it was still a great read.
Norma
Nov 05, 2014 Norma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An airplane falls from the sky with a local sheriff and his brother in law on board somewhere in Posadas County. Undersheriff Bill Gastner close to retiring and about to lose several of his staff to other departments is under the gun to solve the apparent murder. I love Bill Gastner, cannot get enough of him!
Lyn Clark
Loose ends, always loose ends

It seems the author has watched way too much prime time television because he never completely wraps up a storyline. While that does get tiresome, it doesn't take away from enjoying the story. It would be nice if the culmination of the tale didn't involve an answer out of left field. Motivation for the culprit is a bit thin.
Rosemary
Aug 26, 2012 Rosemary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PROTAGONIST: Undersheriff Bill Gastner
SERIES: #7
SETTING: New Mexico
I really liked this one! My favorite so far in a series that just keeps delivering!
Brenda Hansen
Nov 18, 2007 Brenda Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love mysteries, especially those set in the Southwest, this is the series for you. Excellent stories with great characters.
Kristin
Nov 23, 2012 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What's wrong with me? Rosemary liked this one best, but I didn't find it compelling. I finished it, but it just seemed to lope along... I do like the characters, so that kept me going.
Nancy
Oct 07, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Finding a new detective series make me smile.
Elly Wendy
3* Not one of the most strongly written novels, but folksy and with a charm of its own. It had some interesting twists. I liked it.
Jim Sampson
Jun 26, 2011 Jim Sampson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good stor with sheriff gastner looking into a crash of a plane. Enjoy gastner and his team.
E
2.5* Good enough, but not one of his best. Not as much development of/interaction between the usual cast of characters than sometimes drives the Posadas County series forward.
Elizabeth
Jul 10, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Havill never repeats himself, goes straight ahead from murder to resolution, this i so refreshing.
April
Jan 05, 2012 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this book series. Someday will have to read them in order.
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Dordale
Dordale rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Dan Coates
Dan Coates rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Joan
Joan rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Hallana
Hallana rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Betty Schaefer
Betty Schaefer rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2010
Wayne Bancroft
Wayne Bancroft rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2017
Edwina
Edwina rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Claudia
My least favorite of the series.
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Elizabeth N
Elizabeth N rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Jejoha
Jejoha rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Jodi Darby
Jodi Darby rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Has anyone read this author? 2 2 Jun 22, 2017 03:51PM
  • Camelback Falls
  • The Stolen Blue (Claire Reynier, #1)
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras (A Pot Thief Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Judas Judge (Kevin Kerney, #5)
  • The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3)
  • Cool in Tucson (Sarah Burke, #1)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • The Music of What Happens (Cecil Younger, #3)
  • Partnerships Can Kill (Charlie Parker #3)
  • The Samaritan's Secret (Omar Yussef Mystery #3)
  • Shaman Pass (Nathan Active Mystery, #2)
  • Chasing A Blond Moon (Woods Cop, #3)
Steven F. Havill is an American author of mysteries and westerns.

Havill lives in Raton, New Mexico, with his wife Kathleen. He has written two series of police procedurals set in the fictional Posadas County, New Mexico; along with other works.

More about Steven F. Havill...

Bill Gastner Mystery (10 books)
  • One Perfect Shot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #.05)
  • Heartshot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Recoil (Bill Gastner Mystery, #2)
  • Twice Buried (Bill Gastner Mystery, #3)
  • Before She Dies (Bill Gastner Mystery, #4)
  • Privileged to Kill (Bill Gastner Mystery, #5)
  • Prolonged Exposure (Bill Gastner Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Weight (Bill Gastner Mystery, #8)
  • Bag Limit (Bill Gastner Mystery, #9)