Start by marking “The Gospel of the Knife” as Want to Read:
The Gospel of the Knife

The Gospel of the Knife

2.74 of 5 stars 2.74  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Christopher Nix is 14 years old, and it's 1969. His life is a turbulent echo of the times as he discovers sex, drugs and rock 'n roll in the heart of Florida. But into this struggle between the young long-haired hippie and the rednecks who'd just as soon kill him comes a strange offer that will completely change his life.

The Nix family is contacted by a mysterious benefact...more
Published July 10th 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel of the Knife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel of the Knife

April
To say I wasn't enamoured of this book was an understatement. I tried to beg off reviewing it, to no avail....

Sueij
Magpie
Strange. I know I read this book several years ago, but re-reading it recently I found it took me entirely by surprise.

Strange is also a good word for this book. The first part feels like a continuation of the semi-autobiographical Americana tale of Christopher Nix started in the beautiful "Dogland". The second part feels like a boarding school YA fantasy. The third (the "Gospel of the Knife") seems a flight of religious fancy in a radical re-telling of the New Testament (I know! Really, that's...more
Isaac Guenard
This novel is billed as a follow up to Shetterly's earlier Dogland novel. If you read Dogland before reading this book - pretend you didn't.

The main character of Chris Nix may be the same in both books may be part of the same family, but the two novels might as well be in completely different genres.

When 14 year old Chris Nix as offered a scholarship to a exclusive boarding school by a mysterious benefactor, its an opportunity his struggling family can't possibly pass up. Naturally, there is mo...more
Therese
I'm not going to lie. This was disappointing. If it wasn't a sequel to Dogland (which I adore), I probably wouldn't have bothered picking it up. I thought it would continue the story of the Nix family, but, instead, it follows Christopher Nix as he is sent off to a mysterious private school. I kind of wish Will Shetterly had given Chris a different name and made this a stand-alone book. The Gospel of the Knife lacks the subtle magic and charm of Dogland.
Van Tilburg
A sequel to "Dogland". Teen age angst mixed with New Age cultist undertones, combined with the story of The Gospels turned into a Greek mythology inspired soap opera. The Gospels written, with God The Father split into two parts, El and Yahweh and Jesus, not really God, trying to navigate between the two. Bounces between a teenage boy's life in the present and the days when Jesus walked the earth.
Jennybeast
I want to re-read Dogland and then try this again. I used to think that writing from the "you" persona would be interesting, but I found it intrusive and a little annoying. Shetterly is great at setting, and that's true here, too, but I wasn't expecting religion, and it did not appeal to me in the way his other books have.
Dena Landon
Bounced on this one halfway through - hard. Told in second person, and while the artistic choice may have been because of the theme of gods, etc., and the royal 'we,' but it really just came across as pretentious and self-important. The book reads as if the author is very impressed with himself. I wasn't.
Trina
I had a difficult time getting comfortable with the second person narrative style. Then, as soon as I got used to it... there was a long section written in a Biblical style.

I usually like Will Shetterly's books (Dogland, Elsewhere, NeverNever), but this one just didn't work for me.
Glenn
Started off decent, but for me got off track and lost it's appeal about a third of the way in when it got to the fantasy element around the main protagonist Chris entering The Academy.
Shari
The captivating premise of the plot was hampered significantly here by the unusual choice of the second person narrative...
Jack
Not as good as Dogland. Started out promisingly, but then deteriorated. The "book within a book" was too long.
Kathleen
Sequel to Dogland and Not as good as first book - too far fetched
Emily Olson
Weird. Similarities to the Bible but also some alien secret society.
Chris Bernard
Books written in second person are odd.
Trista
Trista marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Prometeus
Prometeus marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Michellea
Michellea is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Sandi Barnes
Sandi Barnes marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Fooph
Fooph marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Elsewhere (Borderlands, #1) Nevernever Dogland Liavek (Liavek, #1) The Players of Luck (Liavek, #2)