Start by marking “When Life is Hard” as Want to Read:
When Life is Hard

When Life is Hard

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When life is hard, really hard, we often spend all our time pleading, begging, yelling, refusing, and questioning. While none of these things are necessarily unusual, they are missing the ultimatepoint. When life is hard, when things get ugly, when all hope seems to be lost...that is whenwe are able to display the superiority of the life lived in God.

It is in those moments
Published December 17th 2009 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about When Life is Hard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Life is Hard

Cheryl
I attended a bible study conducted by my friend/co-worker at the time and this book was used as our study material. It also had a video that went along with the book. We would watch the video one week and the next week go through a chapter. I really miss these bible studies.

The workbook was amazing as was the video. Its been a while since I did this workbook, but I learned so much about trials and how to get through difficult times. It really helped me to understand the bible more in depth as we
Michael
This is the perfect book for those who feel that they are somehow failing in their faith, or that God is somehow failing them, when they encounter seasons of suffering and difficulty in life. When I hear Christian teaching that promises that everything will be sunshine and rainbows if you have enough faith, I wonder two things:

1 - Where on earth do they get this idea in the first place, since Christ suffered and died and most of the apostles were martyred after living lives of persecution and im
Mandy J. J.
MY REVIEW:

No matter if your life is hard or easy or somewhere in between right now, this book is for YOU. As the back cover says: "Find Hope. Right Here. Right now."

I picked up this book to read for review knowing that it would be good, but completely unaware of just how good it would be. James unpacks 4 scripture passages and what they each mean to us when we face various trials - big or small. Not only does this book open up new thoughts and understanding on timeless passages, but it also give
Definitely one of the best biblical books on this subject, as its author wrote it while going through cancer and other issues. Good for keeping things in perspective.
Kathryn Woodmansee
One of the best books on suffering that I've ever read!
Geraldine Awosanya
This is the first book that taught me about my suffering from a Christian perspective. I had troubles in life but nothing like I was facing at the time I got this book. It helped me to understand why I could possibly be suffering and lead me down a path to uncover wisdom and discernment in my life...
Michelle
This book is very encouraging especially for the trial we are on and facing. James shares with the reader his heart, failures and struggles through his trials. I absolutely encourage those struggling to pick up this book!
Liana
A great read for someone who is in a trial,or has came out of a trial. A great book for understanding the Lords purpose for a trial for growth and to become more like Christ ( The refiners fire ) I Highly recommend this book.
Geraldine
This book helped me so much when I was going through the hardest time of my life. It sticks with me still. I loved reading this book and reading his story. It changed the way I thought about hardships and suffering.
Christina Behrens burkhardt
Great book! He really made it personal with his own life. Helped me through some things.
John Caves
Great concepts that show the promises of God and how those concepts bless our lives.
Tim Manzer
LOVED IT! I was deeply moved by this well-written book on suffering.
Keenan Fitts
Definitely helped get me through some rough times.
Barry Karschner
Good book to read if you are going through I tough time.
Terri
Read with stephen's ministry group. it's ok
Linda
a re- read for sure!
Rob
Very good and thorough instruction on facing hardship. I love Dr McDonalds writing!
Harry Tomos
Harry Tomos marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Dawn Brown
Dawn Brown marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Emily Good
Emily Good marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Lance
Lance marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • Depression: A Stubborn Darkness--Light for the Path
  • Overcoming Fear, Worry, and Anxiety: Becoming a Woman of Faith and Confidence
  • True Beauty
  • Romans (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary)
  • How to Study the Bible
  • Womanly Dominion: More Than A Gentle and Quiet Spirit
  • A Meal with Jesus: Discovering Grace, Community, & Mission Around the Table
  • Extreme Devotion
203312
James MacDonald (D. Min. Phoenix Seminary) is married to his high school sweetheart, Kathy, and both are from Ontario, Canada. He is the father of three grown children, a daughter-in-law, a son-in-law, and grandfather to four amazing grandsons. James’ ministry focuses on the unapologetic proclamation of God’s Word. In 1988, along with a small group of ministry partners, James and Kathy planted Har ...more
More about James MacDonald...
Lord, Change My Attitude Vertical Church: What Every Heart Longs for. What Every Church Can Be. Gripped by the Greatness of God Always True: God's 5 Promises When Life Is Hard I Really Want to Change...So, Help Me God

“God brings tests into your life because your faith in Him--your belief that He is in control and that He is good--can be proved only in times when life is hard.” 7 likes