Start by marking “The Word on the Yard (The Pony Whisperer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Word on the Yard (The Pony Whisperer, #1)

The Word on the Yard (The Pony Whisperer #1)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Pia has always told her pony everything...but now he's talking back!

It's hard being the new girl in town-new school, new stable, new rivalries. It seems Pia's only friend is her pony, Drummer. But horses can't talk...can they?

Suddenly, all the horses are talking-to Pia! Now she can understand Drummer, and does he have a lot to say! Who knew this sweet-looking horse would h
Published June 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks (first published June 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Word on the Yard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Word on the Yard

Melissa
Book Summary:

Pia has always told her pony everything…but now he’s talking back!

It’s hard being the new girl in town—new school, new stable, new rivalries. It seems Pia’s only friend is her pony, Drummer. But horses can’t talk…can they?

Suddenly, all the horses are talking—to Pia! Now she can understand Drummer, and does he have a lot to say! Who knew this sweet-looking horse would have such an attitude. When news of Pia’s pony-whispering power spreads, her popularity grows and she finally feels l
Page (One Book At A Time)
I jumped at the chance to read this one when offered. I have a particular love for horses (being raised around them, etc.) and one of my favorite series growing up was the Saddle Club. I really enjoyed the set up and Pia was an interesting character. She's going through a lot and the only stable thing in her life is her horse. You can tell that she has a real connection with him. I thought the idea of being able to hear what the horses were saying was great. It was fun to see what words the auth ...more
Cindy Hudson
Pia is feeling down about having to adjust to a new home for herself and a new stable for her horse, Drummer, after her parents get divorced. She’s worried about making new friends with the other kids who ride, and she hopes Drummer gets along with the new horses too. When she takes a tumble on her first ride on the new trails, she finds she can tell just what Drummer thinks of his situation. She can actually hear him speak. She quickly realizes that her new powers are tied to the small figure o ...more
Reading Vacation
REVIEW
Pia is on a wild ride. With the help of a magical little statue, she can hold conversations with horses. The good news is that she can speak with her trusted horse, Drummer. She can also help the other horses with their problems. The bad news is that Pia lets everyone think that SHE holds the magic rather than the statue. Pia’s lie sets off a series of events that leave her wishing she had never found the statue in the first place.
I did not like that Pia was dishonest by hiding the secret
Annie McElfresh
The voice of this Middle Grade(MG) book really grabbed me. Most times I find MG books a little stiff in the beginning, but this one hooked me right in. I really liked Pia, she really opens up and you can almost hear her voice. Her pony on the other hand was very sarcastic, which added a lot of humor to the book. Drum was totally opposite of what I thought a talking horses attitude would be like.

The good thing about Middle Grade novels is you don't have to wait long for the action to get started
Debbie
This was an interesting story about a girl that finds an old figurine in the grass while she is riding her pony. After she picks it up she is able to hear her pony and other horses and ponies talking and is able to communicate with them. It tells of her adventures in being able to talk to the equines and how things get out of hand. I liked this book and am looking forward to the sequel.
Rachel
i loved it ,it was full of mystery about james in the middle of the book.cat is very jelous of pia and her relationship with james.not at any stage of the book was it slow.i loved it.i cant wait to read the next book.
Alexis plante
i think it is awesome and funny, also brave
Antra
I think Drummer is a horse, not a pony.
PWRL
Jul 08, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
O
Zoe Stuart
Zoe Stuart is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2015
Anika
Anika added it
Apr 07, 2015
Kayleigh Rebecca
Kayleigh Rebecca is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2015
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Janelle Wildish
Janelle Wildish marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Kierstin Johnson
Kierstin Johnson marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Grace Cockle
Grace Cockle marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Janet Rising lives in the UK and is the editor of PONY, Britain's top-selling horsy teen magazine. She is also the author of Pony Talk: 50 Ways to Make Friends. Janet's work with horses has included working at a donkey stud, producing show ponies, and teaching riding to both adults and children.
More about Janet Rising...

The Pony Whisperer (6 books)
  • Team Challenge (The Pony Whisperer, #2)
  • Runaway Rescue (The Pony Whisperer, #3)
  • Prize Problems (The Pony Whisperer, #4)
  • Pony Rebellion (The Pony Whisperer, #5)
  • Stables S.O.S. (The Pony Whisperer, #6)
Team Challenge (The Pony Whisperer, #2) Runaway Rescue (The Pony Whisperer, #3) Prize Problems (The Pony Whisperer, #4) Pony Rebellion (The Pony Whisperer, #5) Stables S.O.S. (The Pony Whisperer, #6)