Start by marking “The Seventh Witch” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Witch
Preview

The Seventh Witch (Ophelia & Abby Mystery #7)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,132 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Small-town librarian and psychic Ophelia Jensen hails from a long line of wise and wonderfully gifted women. There's her grandmother, Abby, a talented witch, and her great-aunt Mary, who's about to celebrate her 100th birthday. But as Ophelia learns, when she and Abby travel to North Carolina for the centennial celebration, their family secrets aren't just magickal—they're ...more
Published January 26th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seventh Witch

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I write this review with a sense of sadness. Why? Because this novel is the final episode in a mystery series that I have grown to love. I have become friends with Addy and Ophelia and Tink. We have grown with Ophelia as she learned to accept her psychic gifts rather than run from them. During that journey, we the readers were ran through woods, arsons, murders, kidnappings, and more.

We met some spectacular persons along the trip. This series gave a positive look at Witches and others. A good l
Angie Lisle
Shirley Damsgaard has carved a new niche in the market: Appalachian Paranormal Fiction! Being a West Virginia gal, I love how Appalachia figures into the books without all the negative stereotyping that usually goes along with it!

I always have problems getting started with Shirley Damsgaard's books. But once I make it past the first couple of chapters, I fall in love with the characters again (and again). I am sucked in by the storyline and I have a very hard time putting the book down.

I love
Library-KAT
Abbey & Ophelia go back home for Great Aunt Mary's 100th birthday celebration where they have to reckon with the family's past and a curse that should have been laid to rest a generation before.

Abbey begins to succumb to bad magic as well power of mind...Ophelia has to fight Abbey's will to lay down & die, Great Aunt Mary's jealousy. and the local "bad" witch who thrives on bad magic & threats.

Add to this Ophelia's mother & father are present as is Tinks (Ophelia's adopted daught
Shara
Jacki
Ophelia Jensen, her parent, grandmother Abby and adopted daughter Tink are off to the mountains of the Appalachia region to celebrate Great-aunt Mary's 100th birthday. Being that we are discussing Ophelia here, it doesn't take her long to stumble onto a dead body, and this time Ophelia finds herself up against an evil witch.

The Seventh Witch is the latest in the Ophelia and Abby tells and one of my favorites. Not only do we get to spend more time with Aunt Dot, but we finally meet the frigthenin
⊱ Irena ⊰
3.5
Why weren't the previous books this fun? This series has always been somewhere between 'it was an ok read' and 'I liked this'. I am not tempted to go and rate the previous six books higher because some of them were just ok and some I liked. This one is the best of all. It is the last book in the series and I am kind of sorry it ends. It just became interesting.
Now when I think about it, this was Ophelia's journey to accept her gifts and to make peace with some of the people in her life.

So, w
Penny
Jan 09, 2013 Penny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal lovers
Shelves: books-i-own
First off i would like to say thanks to my two friends who presented this book to me for my Christmas present. I chose it to start off my year , to start my adventures created through the books i read for the year 2013.

Even though i haven't read the first 6 books of the series and i had to piece together the info i received in this book to get a good image of the others before it, I really enjoyed it.

It was a plot shrouded in mystery about a woman named Ophelia(psychic from a gifted family of s
Suspense Magazine
In the seventh installment to the Ophelia and Abby series, Damsgaard pens a fun loving adventure full of eccentric characters in “The Seventh Witch”. This volume takes readers to the small backwoods family town in North Carolina where Abby grew up for a monumental occasion. Warmly enveloped by their enormously extended family—well, most of them—upon arrival, Ophelia is shocked to find that this reunion may actually have dangerous consequences for several members of her family. In her unwavering ...more
BookNerdette
Linda
Ophelia and her female relatives are witches who each have a different talent. They use their psychic and healing talents for good. In this book grandmother Abby, Ophelia, her daughter Tink, and her non witch parents travel to the Smoky Mountains to celebrate Great Aunt Mary's 100th birthday. Nearby Aunt Mary and Aunt Dot's homestead, which has been in the family for generations, is the Doran family. Sharon Doran claims to be a witch and the mountain folk avoid her. A run-in with Sharon means th ...more
Diane
I enjoyed this book as I've enjoyed this entire series, and it saddens me to know this was the last book. I loved the way she told this final story. I will miss Ophelia, Abby and the rest of the Characters! This story had adventure, mystery, witchcraft and a slight touch of romance.
Yeva
Great Aunt Mary's birthday was not so great to start with; but, hey, she was only 100. I guess witches live longer, if not always better. This last book of the series was great fun, and now I have, have, have to read the two I've missed. Ophelia and Tink were a great mother/daughter duo in this this, and Ophelia's mother was also along for the ride. Actually, every relative Ophelia had was in this story, but that made the story even better. I hope there's another book in this series, because the ...more
4fabfelines Cox
Abby and Ophelia are going to the mountains of north Carolina to see and be with Great aunt Mary's 100th birthday.
Ophelia senses there is alot of saddness and mystery around Abby while she is at the old Homestead. A old fued between family witches has cropped up and Ophelia crosses Sharon one of the mountain witches. Sharon practices black arts and everyone on the mountain is afraid of her powers and crossing her.
Ophelia thinks she is a fake and sets out to prove it.
Several yards from the homest
WillowBe
So, this got a 4 star rating. Likely for fans of this author and series. I waited to read one of these because they were just too predictable. This one was a bit more edgy, but puleeze. I heroine with this little insight, insighht into the motives and behavior of others? The injection of kindly Cherokee spirits- a I don't think they'd be so kindly, what with the Trail of Tears and all... It was all so facile, and obvious that Ms. Damsgaard doesn't really know much about the South, just threw a f ...more
Kelly Russell
Great ending to the Ophelia and Abby series, although another book I think could be easily added, expanding on Ophelia's relationship with Ethan, definitely would read more...come on Shirley don't leave us hanging.
Vickie
This is such a well-done series and THE SEVENTH WITCH is my favorite so far. Abby and Ophelia go back home to North Carolina to celebrate an aunt's 100th birthday. All is not what it seems. Death, greed, dark magick abound.
Exceptionally fast moving page-turner. If I could have had the time, it would have been read in one sitting.
I love the relationship that Abby and Ophelia have, loving, firm, friendly, nurturing. Abby is able to gently lead Ophelia in strengthening her gifts as well as accept
Melodie
For the most part I have found this series to be mostly so-so. Now, with what is reported to be the last in the series, Ms. Damsgaard delivers a truly 5 star read! I have always liked Abby, but have been on the fence about Ophelia through the whole series. In this book she finally comes into her own. This is a very strong story and I find I'm always drawn to a story that deals with "mountain witches" as they figure in my own family background. The story revolves around the strong women in Opheli ...more
Alyson
The focus of this series wasn't the romantic interest, but rather the main character and her role in her family. I enjoyed the balance.
Amanda Lyles
This was another awesome book in this series and I really hope it is not the last.
Rosey
When I read that this was the last in the series my heart sank. I don't like when a series goes on and on...I think they need to end and some point and wrap it up nicely (hear me Janet Evanovich!!). I was hoping for maybe 2-3 more books:(. This was a great wrap up to see where Abby was raised and meet all the other members of the family. Ophelia kicked some major ass! So happy a certain someone showed up again too and Ophelia made some sort of leap. Wish it went a little further.

Agnes J
Witches and paranormal gifts...!
Melissa
Ophelia and the rest of the crew head off to visit her Great-Aunt Mary 100 birthday party. Abby's past is haunting her and it could kill her. Of course Ophelia finds a dead body and this one seems to have been caused by a black witch. Ophelia sents out to keep the mountain and Abby safe from this rouge witch.

This one has to be my favorite one thus far. All the characters are growing and going in uncomfertable places with their lives. Great book, well written and highly recommend.
Teresa Crumpton
Book seven started out slow and I had to put it down a couple of times but I finally finished it and I must say I loved the ending. We see some old friends and meet the family. By chapter three we know who the villian is but not all the details and its interesting how the story plays out. More dark family secrets are exposed, new lessons learned this time its not just Ophelia learning them. It was a really good read once I got into it.
Estella
I really enjoyed reading all the previous books in the "Ophelia and Abby" series, but this one, although well-written, was a little too "paranormal" for me. Word has it that "The Seven Witches" marks the end of the series. I look forward to what Ms. Damsgaard comes up with next, as I like her writing style. I just hope witches won't figure into the equation.
Daffodil
I'm really sad that this will be the last Ophelia & Abby book for a while.

Ophelia's family is colorful and eccentric and utterly perfect. Great Aunt Mary's glares almost burned a hole in the page. LOL. Ophelia's growth from the last book was obvious in this one and I loved the fact that she stood up for herself and the strength of her powers.
Kelly
Love this series!!

I love the attitudes of all the characters (I swear I know them!) and how they all come together to make a great story. This book is awesome from beginning to end. Who said being a librarian was boring? HAH!!

The only thing I don't like about this book is that it is pretty short and before I knew it I was done...aww, man.
Julie
This was the best of the series. Ophelia finally embraced herself and her gift, grew a spine, took initiative and earned her place in her family. She even got a happily ever after implied. Wish there had been an epilogue letting us know that the implied actually came to be, but I'll just be content in building my own.
Sandiboo
this is the last book in the series and i liked that the ends seem to be all tied up. it wasnt the best series but it was an easy quick read with an interesting enough story line, all the books had similar plots.. find a body/have an issue grow a little as a person then resolve the case/mystery.. but i liked it overall
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Ophelia, Abby, Tink, Great Aunt Mary, Aunt Dot, Lydia and Elsie are the 7 witches of the family. And it's up to them to stop the Doran family from taking what theirs away from them. 50 years is a long time to right a wrong but Ophelia will take it on.
I love this series. I sure hope Mrs. Damsgaard writes more.
Donna Siebold
A better story than the first six, I think. Ophelia is finally accepting her powers and her personal life is actually getting rounded.

There are still some continuity issues for me - the author just throws in answers to issues without any linkage to how the answer is derived.
  • No Rest for the Wiccan (A Bewitching Mystery, #4)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • A Cast-Off Coven (A Witchcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Larceny And Lace (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #2)
  • Ghouls Gone Wild (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #4)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Tombs of Endearment (Pepper Martin #3)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
I’ve read many bios that start with the words “I wanted to be a writer all of my life and wrote my first story at the age of five.” I honestly can’t say that’s true for me—at the age of five, as an only child growing up on a farm, my career goal was to be a princess. Unfortunately, all those positions happened to be filled, so I followed the path so many other women have traveled—marriage, childre ...more
More about Shirley Damsgaard...

Ophelia & Abby Mystery (7 books)
  • Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby, #1)
  • Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2)
  • The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3)
  • Witch Hunt (Ophelia & Abby, #4)
  • The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5)
  • The Witch's Grave (Ophelia & Abby, #6)
Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby, #1) Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2) Witch Hunt (Ophelia & Abby, #4) The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3) The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5)

“He never was worth the powder it'd take to blow him to hell.” 13 likes