Start by marking “Astonishing Power of Emotions” as Want to Read:
Astonishing Power of Emotions

Astonishing Power of Emotions

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  2,204 ratings  ·  88 reviews
If it can be said that most men and women lead lives of quiet desperation, it should be said also that those quiet lives are punctuated by frequent, unpredictable eruptions of out-of-control emotions. Spiritual teachers Esther and Jerry Hicks, guided by the teachings of the Non-Physical entity Abraham, believe that can be changed by tranquil contemplation of what those emo ...more
Published September 4th 2007 by Hay House, Inc. (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Astonishing Power of Emotions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astonishing Power of Emotions

Curl up one night and pick up this book to hear soothing words about how you can be, do, or have anything and how perfect and wonderful you are... Enter a magical land where entities of the nonphysical dimension enchant you and tell you all the things you could want to hear... Surrender your critical thinking skills and open your mind to the possibility of solely listening to your emotions for guidance... You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... Let The Astonishing Power of Emotions take you on a ...more
Sep 19, 2011 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the The Law of Attraction
Shelves: non-fiction-read
I'm a huge fan of Esther and Jerry Hicks and the teachings of Abraham. I've read Ask and is Given, subscribe to Abraham-Hicks monthly CD's and have watched The Secret. I truly believe we can be, do, or have anything we want. The challenge is learning how to keep yourself feeling good, going with the flow, totally allowing all that you desire to manifest. This book really helps put into practice The Art of Allowing.
There is not one book written by Esther and Jerrmy Hicks that I could rate under 10 stars. But then again, it will not be for many people I know. If it is for you, you will feel the same way, and you will be comprehending your Vortex.
I recommend this book for anyone who has genuinely struggled with religion in their lives, and is called to that which is the much bigger picture. THis book can speak worlds if you are ready to receive it!
I cannot be greatful enough to have picked up this series of
David Hooper
I've read a lot of books in this subject (power of thought) and this is one of the best. Looked at things from a different, yet familiar perspective. Also give about 30 common issues you may be facing in your life, from death of a parent, to breakup of a relationship, and shows a strategy for dealing with these things.

This book is along the lines of "The Secret" but much deeper. If you're looking for the real nuts and bolts of how the Law of Attraction works, I recommend this book.
5 years a committed follower of these teachings: ultimately more harmful than helpful.

These teachings do seem great and feel great at first, but eventually I found them harmful, not helpful. A word to the wise, if something seems too good to be true: IT IS.

I was thoroughly committed to these teachings for 5 years. It took me on an emotional high. I felt that my life was amazing and felt I knew the secrets of the universe. This is mainly what this book does: tells you all good news and teaches yo
I think this is the real deal. I also think many readers misunderstand what it is that is being said. As i understand it: The point is--you are where you are and you must acknowledge that accurately (there are ways to do this) and once understood you then, and only then, have a choice. You can choose to feel better or worse ... but only incrementally. It is a process. If you choose to feel better, say feeling hatred and rage over despair and hopelessness--you are headed in the right direction. I ...more
Gina Lynette
As always, the Abraham-Hicks collaboration has co-created a wonderful reference for those who are looking for a better understanding of how to allow the manifestation of those things we desire. This edition offers an introduction to the Law of Attraction, with some supporting information on the Art of Allowing and the Science of Deliberate Intent in the early part.

The majority of the book is a Q and A with Abraham--each question and answer filling a chapter. Abraham-Hicks give suggestions for d
This book teaches that, wherever we are, we can choose thoughts that feel a little better or a little worse. Abraham/Hicks says if you choose the slightly better feeling thought it makes all the difference.

The book is full of scenarios where we see the progression from awful feeling thoughts to less awful to better feeling. At each juncture there was a sense of relief. I found it helpful and doable.
Like the other books in this series, this book is about monitoring what you think and feel to reflect less resistance to current circumstances, in order to attract what you truly desire. They use the analogy of rowing a canoe downstream, instead of upstream to illustrate the feeling of allowing one's thoughts and emotions to "flow" without resistance to what is happening at any given moment.
Besides the idea of Esther Hicks being some sort of "channeling vessel" of the teaching of whom they call 'Abraham' which am not too sure about ...

Perhaps this book is beyond my paradigm and understanding - because I found it very difficult to get much from this book ...

The idea of upstream thoughts ( going against the tide/ flow and making life harder) vs downstream being it's liberating opposite - made some sense - however the self talk to change ones thought to downstream and "vibrational ali
2 stars in the sense that it was ok.. I really really like much of what they have to say! particularly the upstream/downstream .. but it gets absurd at some points plus I'm not thrilled with the channeling bit of the whole thing..
Curl up in bed and read this book to hear soothing words about how you can be, do, or have anything... Enter a magical land where entities of the nonphysical dimension tell you how perfect you are... Surrender your critical thinking skills and open your mind to the possibility of solely listening to your emotions for guidance... You are getting sleepy...very sleepy...

Let The Astonishing Power of Emotions take you on a magical journey as you delude yourself about any situation in your life. Anyt
Daylynn Foster
I was leary about reading this. Esther claims to "channel" a group of spirits from beyond called Abraham & that made me feel awkward about it all. Something kept nagging at me to read it though, & I'm glad I did. It is written in an easy format of Q & A, but she sounds like she has knowledge of human behavior & psychology degrees! She gives practical, applicable solutions to normal everyday problems. 1) ie: mom has a disease & I can't handle watching her decline=keep in mind ...more
The book begins with some very heavy-handed foo-foo stuff about how this whole thing is not actually written by the authors, but rather dictated to them by some kind of all-wise hive-mind thing called Abraham. Oooooookaaay.

The idea is that you're an eternal, all-encompassing being and already know all this stuff but just forgot/got clogged by life in the physical realm, so Abraham is getting you back on the right path by dictating the answers through Esther so you can read them and remember. (I
Greyceeh Guevarra
Sep 04, 2007 Greyceeh Guevarra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all of my friends
In order to make a difference, you have to be the difference you want to make. This means living a rich and joyous life - for this is truly the only thing you will ever have to offer ... a life well lived.

If your life is currently problematic in any area, then the best way to start getting more of what you really prefer, and less of what you don't want, is to literally take in new "uplifting" practical, common sense knowledge on a consistent basis to shift perceptions and expand the possibiliti
The was an ok book. I liked how it takes thinking from negative to positive; a lot of examples I could relate to. I DID NOT LIKE the rant Jerry went on regarding how his/their book was out first and other people are taking exerpts out of it regarding vibration ex. and taking jabs at people from the secret; as did Wayne Dyer in a couple of his CD's (both of these authors publishers are the same so it seems like they are a close knit "family") But oh my goodness!!! I've read about vibrations about ...more
Bellaisa Filippis
Sep 25, 2013 Bellaisa Filippis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in the law of attraction
There is not much to say about this book. If you like Esther Hicks and Abraham books, then you will like this one. It explains why emotions are important, how to understand why you are having the emotions you are having, and how to turn them around. That takes us the first few chapters, and then the rest of the book is examples of common situations and how to handle them with the concept Abraham provides.

I did find that on my vacation I was using the technique taught in this book with myself, so
Having read many books on how the negative and positive effect each other, I now understand how it works. Great book to explain why out hate and anger makes such messes out of our lives. Fully explains how we individually can only change ourselves and that's the only way to have what we want.
It has a short CD with the book that is the transcribed as the last chapter of the book. Read it, you'll like it.
Jude Bee

Straightforward fatalistic preaching, of the most boring kind:

"It's all about the VIBRATIONS, man! Just let go of the oars!"

In the perception/reception of emotions, I'm more in the school of Thomas Moore than otherwise. I see the (potential) values of all emotions. A book whose central thesis is something like 'Align your physical being with your pre-ordained non-physical being and everything will be kosher' -- and as such debases emotions to mere alarms and dis
Abdulaziz Al-Mannai
The first 20% of the book is about explaining the idea of Upstream and Downstream thoughts, the rest 80% is mere examples, on how to apply that on our daily life. Great book, and I recommend it, but one might get bored a little bit of the repetition.
I like the analogy of the flowing downstream. More then half the book is about positive affirmations.
Mar 05, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People already well-versed in the Hicks' Philosophical viewpoint
This is a very good book, but was probably the least helpful of all of the Abraham-Hicks books. I would recommend it to others who are students of the Abraham teachings who are already well-versed in the philosophy. This is not the book for the new-comer to the philosophy. This would also be a good book for a person who is in the midst of a delimma that they would like clarity about.
As a whole, the Abraham-Hicks teachings are incredibly beneficial and I would recommend the books to anyone who is
I listened to the Audible book. Jerry Hicks was hard to listen to. He had a somewhat monotone delivery and I found myself drifting off. I think I got the gist of their message but can not say I actually enjoyed listening to him read this book. On the other hand, the last chapter is a lecture given by Esther Hicks and whatever ennui I suffered during Jerry's reading was quickly forgotten when she began to speak. I have listened to that chapter several times. I have also shopped for other books th ...more
Maryham Mohammad
I want to read this book can I have a copy of it?
Complicated but always makes you feel better
Lori Reed
If you can get over the new-ageiness of this book the message is clear--you create your own reality. That's why good things seem to happen to happy people and dark clouds seem to follow negative people.

This book gives situational examples and shows how to overcome the negative thoughts. For example...
"I never have enough money..."
"My coworkers are ruining my life..."
"I don't get along with my spouse..."

You can turn these thoughts around and make positive changes in your life by changing your out
I've read some of it but not much. Just put it down for a while. Truth is I've gotten so much info from the Abraham-Hicks website that I don't really feel the need.
So far it's a really simple, easy to understand book, very pragmatic.
In a way that's a little boring to me but as an instructional book I think it succeeds.
I think I like the Abraham-Hicks videos best, so far anyway.
I'm still gonna finish the book though. Probably anyhoo.
A part of me died inside when I read the subtitle of this book: Let your feelings be your guide. Really? Have we seriously stooped so far? I have gotten sick enough of all the "follow your heart" crap, which disregards all sense of morality or sacrifice for the sake of another, but LET YOUR EMOTIONS BE YOUR GUIDE?!

Look for the much awaited sequel "Let Your Magic Eight Ball Be Your Guide" written by Rainbow and Stu Moonflower

I love the analogy of "letting go of the oars" in the book. It is easy to see this book as a positivity cliche. But I found quite useful advice in examples. When is comes to Abraham, a group of entities from another dimension, I think it won't be possible for me to believe in that. Even then, there is always something we can learn from any book. The message of this book is a positive one and I liked it a lot.
Shanna Chu
I like this book with theory in the 1st part and very useful cases study in the 2nd part. So you can quickly go through something you need easily.
Really? 3 29 Apr 05, 2012 08:34PM
  • Happier Than God: Turn Ordinary Life into an Extraordinary Experience
  • The Spontaneous Healing of Belief: Shattering the Paradigm of False Limits
  • Archangels and Ascended Masters
  • The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity
  • The Intention Experiment: Using Your Thoughts to Change Your Life and the World
  • You Can Heal Your Life Companion Book
  • A Course In Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever
  • The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know
  • The Science of Mind
  • Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation
Esther Hicks is an American inspirational speaker and best-selling author. She has co-authored nine books with her husband Jerry Hicks, presents workshops on the Law of Attraction and appeared in the first release of the film The Secret. The Hickses' books, including the best-selling series The Law of Attraction, are — according to Esther Hicks — Channelled from a group of non-physical entities ca ...more
More about Esther Hicks...
Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham Money, and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Wealth, Health, and Happiness The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent The Vortex: Where the Law of Attraction Assembles All Cooperative Relationships

“stop talking about the things that are bothering you so much.” 10 likes
“but instead of letting yourself go to where you want to be, you beat the drum of what-is, and so you hold yourself apart from your expansion—and you feel terrible while you do it.” 3 likes