August Moon (Murder-by-Month Mystery #4)

August Moon (Murder-by-Month Mystery #4)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  24 reviews

Maybe it's time for me to leave this crazy town, hightail it back to Minneapolis, and become a cat-collecting, fist-shaking, asexual English professor...

Furious after being stood up by local hottie Johnny Leeson, Mira decides to abandon Battle Lake, Minnesota, where the women are churchgoers, the men like to hunt, and the body count is above average. But when a cheerleade

Published September 1st 2010 by Llewellyn Worldwide, LTD. (first published 2008)

Nancy
Being a librarian, I can relate to Mira James. She lives (temporarily) in the small tourist town of Battle Lake, MN and deals with all manner of quirks in the town--almost like Andy Taylor and the quirks he deals with in Mayberry! While Mira admits she does not really have the qualifications for librarian (no MLS degree), it seems as if library work--and Battle Lake, is starting to grow on her--even if she runs into a corpse or two "month by month." While Mira is getting really good at the snoop...more
Lighthearted
Mira James thought that she’d found a home for herself in Battle Lake but it’s been a murderous summer—she’s stumbled across 3 corpses in as many months. She’s also been stood up by Johnny Leeson, the local landscaper who dared her to give romance another try. Mira decides to leave the eccentric residents of Battle Lake behind and return to Minneapolis for a more peaceful existence as a cat-collecting English professor.

Before she leaves, Mira needs to hire and train a new librarian—given that Mr...more
Tina Axell
So far, I love this book the best out of the whole series, but I'm kind of twisted like that. I enjoy novels where the crazy church people turn out to be the bad guys. The more the character of Mira develops, the more she reminds me of myself!
Chris Norman
You have to buy into the premise that a murder happens once a month in a small Minnesota town, but I'm okay with that. Another enjoyable book in the series. I've already read September, so on to October.
Elizabeth Benducci
This was a bt confusing. The main character, Mira James, is a librarian. She decides one night to move away and starts the procedure. She hires someone for her job. She gets tangled up with a religious group that wants her to stop offering banned books at the library. There is a dead teen and she tries to figure out who killed her. I found it confusing because her mother was thrown in and there was some issues there that were not explained. The mayor was involved with the chief of police who att...more
Susan
Mira's boyfriend stands her up and she decides that it's time to leave her two jobs (newspaper columnist and librarian) in Battle Creek and head back to Minneapolis. But before she can leave, she must hire a successor. Also, the Meales, an evangelical preacher, his wheelchair-bound wife, and his snippy teenaged daughter, arrive to run a Bible camp that has sinister overtones. When a local teen is murdered, Mira doesn't mean to snoop--but some things just can't be avoided. This is darker than the...more
Caitlin Olsen
Mira James is ready to high tail it out of Battle Lake after Johnny Leeson stands her up. She even goes so far as to hire a new Librarian. There is a new Bible Camp on the outskirts of Battle Lake and when they come into the library and target Mira's banned books display, she can't help but snoop around the camp. This mixed with the death of a local girl, Mira finds herself knee deep in solving the murder.
Terry
A recent entry in the "Murder-By-Month" mystery is as light as you might think, plus it's set in small town Minnesota. What a kick to have the protagonist be a young librarian;Mira James is pretty, funny, and irrepressible. This entry involves a suspicious Bible camp group and a murdered cheerleader. Easy to recommend; compare to Jennifer Apodaca or Harley Jane Kozak--the humorous cozy.
Frances Kelly
I read this book to sample the series and it was enjoyable, but I didn't knock anyone over to get my hands on the next one in the series. If I had endless time left in my life, I would read them all, but you know how it is . . . so many books, so little time. I am glad I read one book in the series and wish I had time to read them all. Good but not great or compelling.
Natasha Montgomery
A fun read, and I liked the overall tone of the novel. However, I felt that one or two things were left a little unexplained and there were a few coincidences that made this one not as great as the others, for me.
Leslie
Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood, but Lourey doesn't strike me as another Evanovich, despite the cover blurbs and good review in Booklist. Still, might be worth your while if you're really looking for more humorous mysteries. Start with her first, though. Too many references backwards....
Amy
I love this series by Jess Lourey. It is a running series about a young detective from the midwest that gets caught up in all these crazy, dangerous situations, but manages to escape because of her smarts. She names each of her books after months, mostly summer months...May Day, June Bug, etc.
Maureen
Another Murder-by-Month mystery. This was very good - I liked the mystery and there weren't too many zany things going on. It was a good set-up for the September Mourn which I already read. On to October!
Carrie
Mira is about to leave the small town of Battle Creek but a suspicious church group gives her one last mystery before she goes. As usual, the small town and interesting characters are lots of fun.
Mary Z : )
This was OK, but not great. I wasn't in tune with the main character's irreligious stance. The writing was good. Maybe I'll try another by the same author to see if the storyline makes a difference.
Kimberly
I am giving this 3 stars although I didn't really read the whole thing. Very pressed for time, books due back to the library soon, too many renewals. Still think it is a great series.
Amy
Another installment of the Mira James series. I didn't like the whole "I'm going to leave this town" vibe to the book, but it turned out to be a good story.
Carin
Another easy read by Jess Lourey. I did not like this one as much as Knee High By The Fourth of July, but it was still a good summer read.
Connie
another fun mystery series. Think of Stephanie Plum transplanted into a Minnesota farm town. A fast read.

btw, You're welcome, Cindy
Mendy
I really enjoy this series. I don't have much to say about it really other than it is a feel good, quick read.
Jill
A fun read, the series takes place in MN. Mystery and laughs along the way. Just a good series to enjoy.
Cathy
A good solid summer mystery read based in Minnesota. Funny and enjoyable.
Valerie
Entertaining, but not real high on my mystery recommendation list.
Glenn Harris
Another good entry in the Murder-by-Month cozy series.
Deb
LOL! Jess has a wicked sense of humor. Fun stuff.
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Dwayne Keller
Dwayne Keller marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • Murder Talks Turkey (Gertie Johnson, #3)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5)
  • The Body in the Snowdrift (Faith Fairchild, #15)
  • Murder of a Stacked Librarian (A Scumble River Mystery, #16)
  • To Brie or Not To Brie (A Cheese Shop Mystery #4)
  • Billionaire Blend (Coffeehouse Mystery, #13)
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #10)
  • High Rhymes and Misdemeanors (Poetic Death Mystery, #1)
  • Let There Be Suspects (Ministry Is Murder Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Buys a T-shirt (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #1)
  • Licensed for Trouble (PJ Sugar, #3)
  • Working Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #1)
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Naked Ladies (The Darling Dahlias #2)
  • The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1)
  • Dutch Me Deadly (Passport to Peril, #7)
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
Jess Lourey is the author of the Lefty-nominated Murder-by-Month mysteries set in Battle Lake, Minnesota and featuring amateur sleuth, Mira James. October Fest, the sixth in the star-reviewed series, hits shelves May 2011. Kirkus Reviews calls it "...funny, ribald, and full of small-town eccentrics."

Jess has been teaching writing and sociology at the college level since 1998. When not raising her...more
More about Jess Lourey...
May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1) September Fair (Murder-by-Month Mystery #5) June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2) Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3) October Fest (Murder-by-Month Mystery #6)