Start by marking “I Can Help” as Want to Read:
I Can Help

I Can Help

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  37 reviews
"Uh-oh. I'm lost," a little duck says.
"I can help," says a monkey, who swings down from a tree and points out Mama duck.
Then the monkey loses his balance! Who can help him?! Giraffe can!

And so the fun begins in this story, beautifully illustrated in watercolor and line,abouthow easy it is to help someone in need.

I Can Help is a 2011 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of th
Published February 16th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Can Help, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can Help

Russell
Pay It Forward, but punched up and with a cleaner storyline. Less preachy, and a less hackey ending. The young duck delivers a great interpretation of Haley Joel Osment's character, though his mother fails to hold a candle to Helen Hunt's performance. With the role being diminished, I understand this was harder to pull off. Unfortunately, Jon Bon Jovi's character was written out entirely, but more devastating to the narrative is Jay Mohr's character's omission. One animal touched by the chain re ...more
Melanie
A sweet story about how easy it is to help each other. It begins with a little duckling who is lost who is helped by a kind monkey. All of a sudden the monkey needs help who is helped by a giraffe , who then needs help and so on. I loved the drawings as they were also simple like the text but with lots of colour and detail.

The text is repetitive which small children especially love and is also easy for young readers, Initial text is Uh-oh I'm lost. I can help. Thank you, monkey!. This is then r
Tasha
Little Duck is lost in the tall grass and is helped by Monkey. This starts a chain of helpful actions where one animal helps the next. Monkey is caught by a giraffe when he falls from a tree, Giraffe is helped when Gorilla bends a branch low enough, Gorilla’s splinter is pulled out by a bird. And it continues, one after the other until the chain loops back when Little Duck helps Elephant find a cool pool of water. Unfortunately, moments later Little Duck is once again lost in the grass, but now ...more
Brandi Teaches
This book was adorable. I love the simple, repeating text, "I need help. Thank you." The animals are adorable and varied including duck, monkey, giraffe, elephant, and gorilla. This would be a great book to use while reinforcing baby sign for help and thankyou.
Destiny Dawn Long
The illustrations in this book are quite traditional in style--pleasant, but nothing really memorable. However, they do enrich the story and add to the narrative for young children.

The narrative itself is about how we all can offer something of value to the world by helping each other out. This message is conveyed simply and with few words, so even the very young can understand. The repetition and clarity of language make it a great choice for toddlers and early readers.

My 22 month old loves i
Ariel Cummins
A cute little story about how we can all do something that can help someone else.

The drawings here are very traditional -- the truly illustrate what's going on with the story. They're solid, but not particularly extraordinary.

Good for a story time about helpers or animals. You could definitely clip some of the pages to make it appropriate for baby time or antsy toddlers, even. Nice reoccurring "I can help" and "Thank you" text could give an opportunity for participation, and there's definitely
Lena
Very simple words and cute pictures. Good for baby and toddler storytimes.
Heidi
Good potential for a toddler storytime. Animals they can recognize. Bright colors to keep their attention. Not too much text. And enough of a story that perhaps the older ones may be able to follow along.

8/10/10 & 8/12/10 Went very well. I had them guess animals and do some things they might see that animal do. The parents seemed to like the book, too.

3/24/11 The toddlers loved this--first group more than the second. They liked the animals and they liked mimicking the helping actions.
Loren
I like the message in this small book and the progression of animals. The illustrations are a bit too small for storytimes. It is a simple message a refrain that reminds me of some popular insurance TV commericals these days but still a positive message and I like the teamwork aspect. We could all use a bit of helpfulness!
Sharon Lawler
Familiar animals offer an assist in this simple circular story, with a repetitive line, "I can help." After the first reading, the young child will delight in anticipating the animal that need help, and the animal who helps. Definitely a 'Read it again!"
Kristen
I need to try this again in toddler or baby story time. I had an extremely restless crew the day I read this, and they weren't focusing on it. But I think it's just SO CUTE and should go over a lot better, so I will try again!
Sharon
I adored this book and so did Laura. I love the cheerful helpfulness of all the animals, and Laura was anticipating the words and chiming in by the second or third read. I'll read it as many times as she likes!
Jody Lewandowski
Very little text, and the pictures appeal to toddlers. BUT there is more to the story than a toddler can infer just by looking at the pictures. Better for lap reading with an older preschooler.
Jodi
A circular story in which every animal helps each other until we end up back with duck who is lost again. One sentence per page text: I can help. Thank you _____. Simple, but solid.
Franki Sibberson
A great new book for beginning readers. Great, predictable text and the story is told so well in the pictures. Love the ending:-) A great book for K-1 classrooms.
Katey
This is a cute book that deals with working together and how we can help our friends. It would be a good guide for a project on doing the right thing.
Beth
this picture book repeats the same sentences over and over, using the pictures to advance the plot. It also works well as a begining reader.
Melanie
A series of animals help each other in difficult situations. Good book for children having trouble either asking for or offering help.
Donna
Used for storytime this month. Simple text, illustrations and concept turned out to be surprisingly popular with 2 to 5 age group.
Amanda
Brightly illustrated and easy enough text for a new reader. Agood example of cooperation and working together also.
Morgan
Animals help each other with simple tasks like reaching a leaf or finding water. Cute, repetitive type story.
Vicki
A simple nice book for Tiny Tots about helping each other. A great repetitive phrase "I can help".
Erin
Animals help each other one by one until it goes full circle. Good for toddler storytime.
Megan
Animals illustrate the "pay it forward" concept by giving each other assistance.
Allison
Very cute, and could spur a good discussion about various ways to help.
Dee
Really cute story about friends helping friends. Very cute illustrations.
Molly
I like the message, and think a 'helping hands' storytime sounds nice.
Tina
ducks, lost, help, cute and short, shows reciprocal circle of helping
Debbie
Duck is lost, monkey helps, monkey falls, giraffe helps, etc...
Lindsay
cooperation, manners, gratitude, kindness, guessing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Hello, Day!
  • Clip-Clop
  • Whose Chick Are You?
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Time for a Hug
  • Hide and Seek
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
Little Pig Joins the Band David Hyde Costello (Author)