Start by marking “A Christmas Carol” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Carol

Read Book* *Different edition

A Christmas Carol (Christmas Books)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  381,381 Ratings  ·  9,789 Reviews
"Bah Humbug!" That's how Ebeneezer Scrooge feels about Christmas--until the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future decide to show the crotchety old miser the error of his ways. Together they travel through time, revisiting all the people who have played an important role in Scrooge's life. And as their journey concludes, Scrooge is reminded of what it means to have ...more
Audio CD, 3 pages
Published October 1st 2003 by Listening Library (first published December 19th 1843)

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Carol, please sign up.

Raquel It's, in fact, the scariest character on the book. I don't think it's too scary though.
Taja I really enjoyed the book. My favorite of all movie versions are Scrooged & the Muppet Christmas Carol so I was really excited to finally read it.…moreI really enjoyed the book. My favorite of all movie versions are Scrooged & the Muppet Christmas Carol so I was really excited to finally read it. I figured it would be boring and slow but it really surprised me! It was dark & creepy, but heartwarming and a fun ride. (less)

Lola  Reviewer
*3.5 stars*

I shall start by presenting you Ebenezer Scrooge, the – according to the narrator – cold-hearted, unholy and inconsiderate man we have as main character:
description
While he is described as such:

External heat and cold had little influence on Scrooge. No warmth could warm, no wintry weather chill him. No wind that blew was bitterer than he, no falling snow was more intent upon its purpose, no pelting rain less open to entreaty. Foul weather didn't know where to have him. The heaviest rain, and sn
Kalliope
Dec 25, 2015 Kalliope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I wish a most UN-SCROOGY Christmas to all my GR Friends.

With lots of:

Not too much drinking

Christmas Games

Another watch of The Nutcracker

And of course...Fascinating and Beautiful Books

And to remember what Scrooge learnt:

I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!
Mary
Dec 28, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
It's a family tradition to read A Christmas Carol (original, unabridged) aloud each Christmas season and then to watch at least one film version on Christmas Eve (this year it was the Muppets' Christmas Carol - very authentic - with Michael Caine).

Over the years, we have discussed the 19th century slang and customs enough so that the reading is becoming smoother and smoother without much need for editorial asides. This year we focused on favorite phrases "Marley was dead, to begin with." "the m
Renato Magalhães Rocha
One should never judge a book by its cover, but this edition surely deserves an award for ugliest and laziest book cover ever made (should we start a contest?), which is a shame since a theme like Christmas is quite easy to illustrate and has a lot of recognizable symbols and its own emblems that could've been used to enhance this poorly conceived design. However, if all the budget available went to the translator, it was a good decision as it was beautifully done and, in the end, it's all that ...more
Cecily
Dec 23, 2014 Cecily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
The Christmas classic that everyone knows – even if they haven’t read it. It's quite short, and at some levels quite an easy read, but there is plenty of depth, so I think it's worth reading it in a thoughtful and slightly leisurely way.

Plot
It is a simple tale of how a normal man turns cold-hearted and mean and how, when confronted with memories of his past and the possible outcomes of his actions and inactions, he is redeemed by making positive changes to his life and thus that of others.

Typic
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

Ebenezer Scrooge, the very definition of grumpy miserliness, gets a second chance at figuring out what's really important in life, with the help of some ghosts who give him an unforgettable version of "This is Your Life."

This may not be a perfect piece of literature -- there are a few places where Dickens goes off on tangential lines of thought that I thought would have been better left out -- but you know, it's actually amazing and touching, the influence this classic novella has had on our cul
Bookworm Sean
I read this every year at Christmas, and I always will do. Simply because of the atmosphere it evokes. This story is Christmas as far as I’m concerned. It wouldn’t be the same without it. It is perfectly festive and is also appropriately didactic. It is an allegory for what happens to those that are unnecessarily bitter and twisted, refusing to take part in a joyful occasion. It is a glimpse at what could happen to someone who rejects their family upon trivial grounds, and let’s themselves be se ...more
Evgeny
Dec 29, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
One might like Christmas, or one might not; one might be a Christian, or one might not be. Anyway I do not think anybody would be arguing against the fact that this novella became practically ultimate Christmas story. For this reason I will not bother hiding spoilers in my review; if you have no clue what it is about and I spoil it for you, consider it to be my punishment for living under a rock all this time.

Grumpy Cat Christmas
Sorry, there is something irresistible about the Grumpy Cat in Christmas settings and
Glenn Sumi
Dec 13, 2015 Glenn Sumi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: before-1900, classics

I’ve seen countless film, TV and stage adaptations of A Christmas Carol, but it wasn’t until this week that I read the actual text. Which is strange. I adore Dickens. If pressed, I’d call him one of my all-time favourite authors. But it’s a busy time of year, and when I watch the films it’s usually in a social situation.

This week I found myself with a few extra hours and finally read the novella. Wow. I’m very glad I did. Here are some thoughts:

I can see why it’s so frequently adapted and has
Alejandro
I can't tell how many times I have watched some adaptation or another of this classic story. Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Kermit the Frog, the Real Ghostbusters, live action films, animated TV specials, etc... since this is one of the most adapted stories of all time. A truly Christmas classic. And this one of the few books that I think one hardly can deny that it's the novel that defines a genre, in this case: Christmas. In popular genres like Science-Fiction and Horror, there are several books co ...more
Valerie
A short classic, during the holidays, well why not?

The only problem I had with the book was that I had to really concentrate on the writing. I didn’t have to drag along like I used to when I read books like this but I don’t think I could enjoy the book as much because I was confused at what Dickens was trying to say some times. With all the semicolons and commas sentences are very long and it was difficult for me to keep up. I’ll say that I didn’t feel smart all the time. I also couldn’t fully
Carmen
Dec 25, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Amazing. A classic for a reason.

RE-READ: 2015. I read this book every Christmas Eve. It makes me laugh, it scares me, it makes me cry. So good! And so short! :) I must admit my favorite part is the first part where Scrooge is so grumpy and miserly. And the book is so classic, filled with classic lines that are so well-known it's a pleasure to read them because they are so familiar and true.

And, once again, it's short. No trouble to get through! Merry Christmas!

Saoirse Sterling
You can read my review of A Christmas Carol on my site XLeptodactylous.

For the first eight years of Charles Dickens' life, Christmas was as white as the driven snow, not in the least because it did indeed snow, the Thames froze over and much merriment was had during a time when poverty was common and the poor were uncared for in their masses.

This had a great impact upon Dickens and his writing, and thus he became the Father of Christmas Stories, weilding that Victorian tradition of ghostly doing
Jason Koivu
Oct 31, 2013 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol is a quintessential piece of what Christmas is all about (and maybe a touch Halloween, too!). The story succeeds in entrancing so many of us because it touches upon the emotions, the senses, the human condition, and encapsulates it all in the life and death struggle we all go through...plus, who doesn't love a good ghost story and a happy ending?!

A Christmas Carol has been adapted so many times in so many different ways that this fairytale story has become a bi
Jean

"Bah! Humbug!"

Who does not recognise this expostulation, and the old curmudgeon who spat it out. The very name "Scrooge" has entered the vernacular to indicate a mean-spirited skinflint.

"Oh! But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grindstone, Scrooge, a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner! Hard and sharp as flint."

And even the phrase "Merry Christmas" only became popular following the appearance of this novella.

A Christmas Carol is one of Dickens' most endur
Barry Pierce
This is just fabulous, obviously. The ending may be a tad optimistic for Dickens but oh well. This is an amazingly quick read, if you don't read it in one sitting then there is no hope for you. This story really epitomises Christmas and is an easy place to start with Dickens if you haven't done so already.
Sakura87
Un classico che da troppo tempo mancava alla mia libreria.
Con libri così non valgono i normali metri di giudizio: la trama è scontata quel che basta, i personaggi mancano della minima psicologia, e la conversione di Scrooge appare repentina e pressoché ingiustificata.
Eppure, è uno di quei classici che fa sognare i bambini, che continua a far sospirare gli adulti, e che fa brillare gli occhi dei non-più-adolescenti-ma-da-poco, come me, al ricordo di vecchi natali trascorsi sul tappeto davanti l’
Sylvia
Mar 26, 2010 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is, without doubt, the greatest Christmas classic of all time. I grew up with the story, having watched the movie every year with my family. When I finally read the book last December, my heart swelled at every word because the story that I had known since I was a child came to vibrant life on paper. The musical that I could recite backwards and forwards could not even compare to the vibrancy that jumped out at me from the pages. Dickens had the power to fashion the English language in ...more
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
Oh man, do I have such fond memories linked to this famous classics. It was my childhood.

This book also happens to contain one of my mother’s favourite messages: Be kind.

I don't celebrate Christmas (bah) but whenever that day loomed near, A Christmas Carol would show up in television. This year, I decided not to watch the movie(s) but to read the real classics, and it sure does put all those abridged (humbug) versions to shame.

I am still tickled by Scrooge’s bah, humbug! Yes, yes, the old man w
Kimberley doruyter
being my first dickens i was pleasntly surprised by how much i loved it.
having seen a great many movie adaptations i didn't think i would like the book at all.
i'm glad i read it and i will be reading the other works by dickens as soon as i can get my hands on them.

how can anyone read this and not have it warm the heart on a cold sunday in february.
Nandakishore Varma
Heart-warming: that is my one word review for this book.

This has to be one of the most read and loved stories of all time. It works, whether one views it as a Christian allegory or a simple fantasy. I studied it in middle school and loved it: I was laughing along with Scrooge in the last chapter. I was wondering whether the magic would still work with a moderately cynical middle-aged man. It did.

The story could have been maudlin, sentimental, didactic and moralising. That it is none of this is d
Dan
Mar 24, 2007 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who watch the kids' Christmas specials every year but never got around to reading the book.
We all know the story. Ebenezer Scrooge is an old miser who hates Christmas. He's visited by the ghost of his late business partner Jacob Marley, who warns Scrooge that he will be haunted by three spirits representing three pivotal points in his life. By reliving the past, observing the present, and fearing the future, Scrooge learns to mend his ways and opens his heart to charity and compassion.

It's a classic morality tale, made timeless by setting it in the Christmas season.

However, as with ma
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach!”

A Christmas Carol has become such a classic of the holiday that it's practically a part of Christmas tradition for some families. If you think of a Christmas book, this one will definitely pop up. Surprisingly this is my first year actually reading it, although of course I'd
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Is it wrong that my favorite version of A Christmas Carol happens to be the Disney version starring Mickey Mouse?

Don't judge me. I even cried over the mouse version of Tiny Tim. That was quality acting cartooning.

So the book might have been a little different. I'm pretty sure that nothing in the cartoon was described as a little weathercock-surmounted cupola (only my modern-day brain would try to turn that into something dirty sounding), but you know...it's a classic book. And the author's name
Afshar
May 25, 2015 Afshar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
همه را باور کردن، خطرناک است. اما هیچکس را باور نکردن، خیلی خطرناک است
ابراهام لینکن

به این کتاب پنج ستاره کامل میدم
دلیلش فقط لذت زیادی که از کتاب بردم نیست بلکه بخاطر نشان دادن اخلاقات بد و خوب و احساسات زیبای انسانی
این کتاب برام مثه یک آینه آینده بین بود که افشار چند سال بعد را در آن دیدم

به نظر من، اين كتاب يكي از شاهكارهاي بزرگ ادبي است و آن را برادر كوچكتر شازده كوچولو مي نامم
شايد كمي بزرگ نمايي و اغراق باشد ولي تاثيري كه از این کتاب تقریبا 80 صفحه ای گرفتم برام حيرت آور بود
طمع و خساست، زندگي
Erwin
Dec 23, 2015 Erwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly wonderful story! If this doesn't get people into the Christmas spirit, I don't know what will.
Mario
Dec 29, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“Bah," said Scrooge, "Humbug.”

Even though I've seen countless version and adaptations of this story, not a single them was as magical as this book was. And reading it in December made it even more magical. Truly an extraordinary book and I feel that no matter how many version of this story I see or read, I will never get bored of it.
Wanda
Jan 12, 2015 Wanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first experience with Dickens and it was very pleasurable. A Christmas Carol is very short, but how much it packs in! I think this is a story that we all think we know, having seen TV versions, theatrical productions and even advertising based on it [very ironic, yes?]. Scrooge has become synonymous with grasping selfishness and we forget that he undergoes a significant transformation during the course of the story.

One theatre company in our city has been performing A Christmas Carol for over
Jessica
Dec 22, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the best Christmas book EVER. Not only the greatest story since the original (you know, the one in the New Testament), but combined with P.J. Lynch's magnificent illustrations, this book is a gift you can open year after year!

Reread 2012: I had a sudden revelation this morning as I finished this book. It's not just the greatest Christmas book ever, but I have realized that it is probably in my Top Ten of All Time. Such a beautiful work! If anything can be a favorite part, it's the Fezzi
Tiffany Reisz
Dec 22, 2015 Tiffany Reisz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a classic for good reason. It was high time I read the book as I've seen the movies a dozen times.

Dickens was supposed to write a pamphlet on the plight of the poor and ended up writing this little book instead. It has inspired more good with its fiction than a book of facts and figures ever has. Christmas celebrations were waning when the book came out and have enjoyed a renaissance ever since. Christmas owes a debt of gratitude to Mr Dickens and so do I.

Merry Christmas, GR Friends! God b
Around the Year i...: A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens 25 77 Mar 21, 2016 01:37AM
Classics for Begi...: * * A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 90 225 Feb 16, 2016 01:12PM
100 Classics and ...: MISCELLANEOUS: A Christmas Carol 3 10 Jan 30, 2016 06:15AM
  • The Mansion
  • Sons and Lovers
  • The Snow Queen
  • The Diary of a Nobody
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1)
Charles John Huffam Dickens (7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870) was an English writer and social critic. He created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the twentieth century critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and sho ...more
More about Charles Dickens...

Christmas Books (5 books)
  • The Chimes
  • The Cricket on the Hearth
  • The Battle Of Life
  • The Haunted Man

“There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.” 4445 likes
“It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humour.” 1227 likes