Start by marking “Reclaiming the Future of Christian Education: A Transforming Vision” as Want to Read:
Reclaiming the Future of Christian Education: A Transforming Vision

Reclaiming the Future of Christian Education: A Transforming Vision

This rich work is a walk through the philosophical and cultural history of education, emphasizing the unique goal of Christian education—to prepare young people for a fulfilling life under the lordship of Jesus Christ.
Unknown Binding, 290 pages
Published July 1st 2012 by Purposeful Design/Acsi (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Reclaiming the Future of Christian Education, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reclaiming the Future of Christian Education

Gretchen
Jun 15, 2016 Gretchen rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
This book reminded me why I did not seek an Education degree. Belabored many points that the target audience would never dispute, yet left important conclusions and observations underdeveloped. In typical Evangelical form, he advises many great things for Christian teachers but gives no insights into how to do it. If, as he claims, a teacher's highest priority is to deepen their own relationship with and knowledge of God, how do we do that--especially in the midst of a busy school year? If we ne ...more
Brett
Jun 08, 2010 Brett rated it liked it
Shelves: education
Can't say I disagreed with much of it but it was simply boring.
Erin King
Jul 24, 2014 Erin King rated it it was ok
By far the most awkward read of the books I have had to read for certification so far. I did not like the excessive direct quotes. Many of the concepts where good, but very repetitive. I would say the best concept he had was the holiness of all of life and the real purpose of education being to know God.
Robbie Pruitt
Jul 31, 2012 Robbie Pruitt rated it really liked it
“The true purpose of Christian education is to prepare young people for a complete life under the lordship of Jesus Christ.” This definition of the purpose of Christian education from the back of Reclaiming the Future of Christian Education, by Albert E. Greene, is just as good as any and gives the reader of the book insight into what he or she is about to learn and discover about reclaiming the future of Christian education.

A quick summary of Reclaiming the Future of Christian Education is fou
Mel Foster
Like many of you, I was directed to Greene's book by ACSI's Philosophy of Christian Education certification checklist. I have finished three of the books on the list. I have a great respect for Mr. Greene's legacy and accomplishments, but if you are looking for one book to sub out, I would recommend this one to skip.
A little background on me. I love to read, and I love discussion of the big picture. I have attended many teachers' conferences where I have felt the speaker was fantastic, while me
Matthew Richey
Jul 26, 2016 Matthew Richey rated it really liked it
I read this for renewing my teaching certification with ACSI. I recommend this book for those seeking to gain a vision for teaching a distinctively Christian education. I have a seminary degree, so much of the content was (for me) very repetitive, not a lot of useful or new information. But I gave it 4 stars because I think most of what he has to stay is helpful and I would recommend this to Christian school teachers (though perhaps not to those with a Seminary background).
Carla
Feb 26, 2008 Carla rated it did not like it
I didn't learn much from this book. He had a good review of how the Enlightenment has affected our view of the world and truth; as well as modernism and postmodernism, but that was about it. I definitely didn't reclaim the future of Christian education.
Billie
Apr 02, 2016 Billie rated it it was amazing
This was a great read for future teachers. It was written in a way that doesn't make it tedious to get through, and reads pretty quickly.
Andy
Andy rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016
steph
steph rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Eric Anderson
Eric Anderson rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Janice
Janice rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2009
Janie
Janie rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Tania
Tania rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Laura Hall
Laura Hall rated it really liked it
May 21, 2010
Alicia Fee
Alicia Fee rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2015
Kargem3
Kargem3 rated it liked it
May 16, 2013
Philip
Philip rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2014
Chase Eskelsen
Chase Eskelsen rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Holly Thompson
Holly Thompson rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Brienne Coughlin
Brienne Coughlin rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Erin Leckington
Erin Leckington rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Greg
Greg rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Melanie Fisher
Melanie Fisher rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
Daniel Pandolph
Daniel Pandolph rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2016

“[Parker J.] Palmer points out that knowledge today is driven by two motives, curiosity and control. Curiosity gives us pure science, and control gives us technology. Then he asserts that there is a third component that is regularly disregarded but essential to true knowledge--compassion, or love.” 0 likes