Start by marking “Coffee with Groucho” as Want to Read:
Coffee with Groucho

Coffee with Groucho

With a foreword by the actor, director, and playwright described as “the greatest living exponent of Groucho Marx’s material” by The New York Times, and text by the author of Monkey Business, a biography of the Marx Brothers, this bio brings the wisecracking, cigar-chomping, eyebrow-raising comedian to life on the page. Groucho discusses such issues as the film Duck Soup, ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Duncan Baird

To ask other readers questions about Coffee with Groucho, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffee with Groucho

Gerry
May 21, 2015 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This coffee-time chat with Groucho Marx is noted as being fictional and as such one has to take some of the material with a pinch of salt. Did Groucho actually say something like that in his life or is it all fiction?

Obviously some of the quotes are pure Groucho, and are well known for that, and his views on the films that the brothers made are no doubt taken from some of his published material.

But for all that it is an entertaining read and certainly makes one wish that a coffee break could hav
Julie Failla Earhart
Feb 17, 2009 Julie Failla Earhart rated it really liked it
Since 2007, Duncan Baird Publishers has been publishing its Coffee With…Series. The publisher asks experts on a high profile, not-easily-forgotten celebrities (like Hemingway, Plato, Mozart, and more) to imagine they were conducting an interview over coffee with that certain famous someone. The little books become “fictional dialogues based on biographical facts.”
In this instance, Marx Brothers biographer Simon Louvish chatted with Groucho Marx at the comedian’s favorite Beverly Hills’s deli, Na
Michelle
Nov 18, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
I remember loving the Marx Brothers movies as a kid. Harpo was my favorite, I was so jealous of his musical talents. Oh how I wanted to play the harp and flute and piano. So when I saw this book I had to read it. I was so excited about the concept of an interview with Groucho over coffee, that excitement lasted about 20 to 30 pages. After that I started to tire of the answers, they were disjointed and all over the place, random quotes from previous interviews, biographies and movie lines. I did ...more
Kirk
Dec 29, 2007 Kirk rated it liked it
Since I was fortunate enough to do the Hemingway entry in this series, I felt like I owed it to the publishers to support it by getting the other six books and actually reading them. I did Groucho first because he seemed the most accessible and I knew a lot less about him than Marilyn and Oscar Wilde. I thought Simon did a nice job of integrating the zippy one-liners into his narrative. The voice works well---like with Hemingway, it would've been easy to caricature a Marx Brothers' conversation, ...more
Andrew
Dec 03, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: collections
I enjoyed reading this book. It got me thinking about the immigrant experience in general. Now I want to know more about the Hays Code of 1934. I notice my public library has this book but no DVDs or even VHS copies of any Marx Brothers movie. Likewise the Family Video store in town. But the book gave me a few laughs and some real info I didn't know before reading it.
John Weagly
Jun 12, 2008 John Weagly rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Awful! And annoying. And asinine. Read one of Groucho's autobiographies instead (GROUCHO & ME, MEMOIRS OF A MANGY LOVER), then it's really in his voice instead of someone playing dress up.
Benito
Aug 28, 2012 Benito rated it liked it
Nice idea. Essentially recreates Groucho in conversation by using lines from films, old interviews, his books, etc. Fun if you're a fan, but a little bogged in exposition at times.
Hapzydeco
May 01, 2012 Hapzydeco rated it liked it
Louvish use of wisecracks moves the narrative along. If you the opportunity to attend a Frank Ferrante performance arises, take it you will not be disappointed.
Myke
Dec 31, 2007 Myke rated it really liked it
Bought it for Sian, read it first. I know, i know.. "bad husband."

Was hilarious and i learned that Harpo's wig was actually red.

BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Brian Falk
Brian Falk marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Cici W
Cici W rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Ursula
Ursula added it
Jan 14, 2016
Steve Martin
Steve Martin rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Jennifer Anderson
Jennifer Anderson is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2015
Sean Ruprecht-belt
Sean Ruprecht-belt marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Marcia Wellen
Marcia Wellen rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Ken Krysiak
Ken Krysiak marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Neyha
Neyha added it
Jun 07, 2015
F
F rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2015
Nadia
Nadia rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2015
Nathan Harris
Nathan Harris marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Simon Louvish (born 1947 in Scotland) is an Israeli author and film maker. He has written many books about Avram Blok, a fictional Israeli caught up between wars, espionage, prophets, revolutions, loves, and a few near apocalypses.

He has also written biographies of W. C. Fields, The Marx Brothers, Groucho Marx, Laurel and Hardy, and Mack Sennett.
More about Simon Louvish...