Start by marking “Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Provide a solid education at home without breaking the bank.

Introduced in 2000, Homeschool Your Child for Free gave countless parents the plan and peace of mind to get their kids’ education on the right track. Now, authors LauraMaery Gold and Joan M. Zielinski have revised and updated their popular guide, offering their expert homeschooling advice and information, plus new
Published August 4th 2009 by Three Rivers Press (first published August 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Homeschool Your Child for Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homeschool Your Child for Free

Debbie
For me this wasn't about finding free resources as much as finding a way to add some fun and excitement to what we were already doing. I am not through the whole book yet, but so far I have found an amazing amount of resources that I am excited to add to our learning. Some of the websites noted in the book are not around anymore, but most are either accurate and current or can be found in a simple google search. Not a final review by far, but so far I am very pleased with this book!
Shauna
Many good points, but outdated. Several (many) of the websites are out of commission or charge for their services now.
Jonna Higgins-Freese
This was a VERY basic overview/introduction, focused more on materials and resources than on methods of how you would actually employ them. There are some nice, basic introductory sections on various curriculum plans (unit studies, unschooling, etc.) She offers resources for all subject areas, from teaching literacy skills to trigonometry, art, and anthropology. Perhaps the most useful sections, for me, were the vignettes from various families about how they homeschool. I was most impressed by h ...more
Gina Denny
Dec 14, 2010 Gina Denny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents, those considering homeschool
This is exactly what I was looking for in a homeschooling resource. It has literally hundreds of website links for teaching different subject. There are brief explanations about WHY every subject listed is important, how it helps develop a child and his mind. There are resources listed for making your homeschool more "legit:" how to create IDs, diplomas, report cards, transcripts and everything else that homeschool kids don't generally get but ultimately need in their real life.

I highly, highly
Sara Mckenzie
Many links outdated. Waste of time to read.
Deanna
This large book is a reference for over 1,200 websites for homeschooling families. I liked her commentary and learned some useful things. She had several Internet addresses for every subject you could ever think of.

I looked up a good many websites that I was interested in. Almost every single one of them was either a bad address or not worth anything to me. The book was published in 2000 which is a lot of time in the computer world. I think with a little creativity you can google anything you ca
Jeepster
Mar 14, 2012 Jeepster rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who homeschools or is thinking about it
Recommended to Jeepster by: family member
So many free resources. This is a book to flip through and skim and then go back numerous times to specific subjects/areas that you are planning for.
This book highly encourages digging deep in your community for resources you never knew were there. Lots of anecdotal stories to inspire and give ideas.
This book is a keeper! A must-read for anyone who is currently homeschooling or is keeping it as a possibility.
Kcshrader
I bought this one because it promised access to ongoing updates electronically. Let's just say that didn't work well. Thanks to the nature of the internet, the book was outdated before it ever came off the presses, and without that update system, it's really not worth a whole lot. Still, if you don't mind double-checking all the links, it does offer some good websites to try.
Heather
Although I have not read this cover to cover, it has a great number of sites for educational use. I do not use the internet exclusively as we like books, crafts, outdoor fun, and trips, etc... for the majority of our schooling. I do use educational sites for extras like learning about holidays, specific topics, lapbooks, educational games and more however.
Ruth
Websites mentioned are almost entirely outdated, and the book consisted mostly of links. When was the last time you visited www.geocities.com?
The appendix does have a broad scope and sequence that may help someone get started googling newer links. If you're interested in building your own curriculum, you might find the book a little helpful.
Fiona Endsley
This Book is packed full of helpful educational websites, clearly whatever you are looking to teach your child, there is an excellent chance you will find what you need online. I got this one out of the library but I think it's worth getting my own copy.
Amber
the idea that you can do homeschool for free and without ready-made cirriculums was not one i had heard of in my study of homeschool until this book. a very encouraging read for anyone who is or who is thinking about homeschooling.
Ami
This book was basically several lists of websites where you can get free information in various subjects. It could be wildly helpful, but it is not the type of book that offers much more than website resources.
Beth
Bought @ used book store even though there is a newer edition out. Lots of information & websites (not sure if duplicated as you can find so much on the internet). But will have it on hand as a resource guide.
Kate
I'm not sure if there is a new edition or not, but there needs to be. A lot of the links were out of date/didn't work and I know there are tons more resources out there than when this book was written.
Sundy DeGooyer
So many great websites to check out. So many great ideas. Almost every page of this book is highlighted or folded down or marked in someway. I'll be using this reference book A LOT next year.
Dawn Mcclure
This is a great book. I red the revised version and took a lot of notes. Some of the links listed are no longer available. This is a must have for all parents, not just homeschooling families.
Kerri
This was an excellent book, but it is a little outdated. Still, it would be a good book to start out with, and you will be able to find a lot more resources online these days.
Tauna
Very very good resource. Helps prevent falling into a spending pit with curriculum and supplies. I'll check this out several ted in the future and may even buy it one day.
Mary
This books give lots of information about where to find free worksheets and other materials on the web. I found alot of the websites are no longer available.
Alinton
I am reading the book, not ebook, and am less then 30 pages in and it has already given LOTS of infomation . I will have to purchase this book.
Tina
I just started homeschooling my 13yr old this week and I am very thankful that I found this book at the library. VERY helpful in getting me started!
Jodi A
I thought this book had a lot of really good information and it was laid out pretty well. It was a little bit too much for me, too overwhelming.
Loni
Great resource for homeschoolers & parents who want to supplement what their children are learning in school.
Irene Perez
Im gonna count this as read because I went through enough of it to know i want to own this!
Rose Zivkovich
Very helpful - I am sure that I will keep going back to this one for more ideas!
Lorna
Love all the information!
Apbtlover
Apbtlover marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Matthew Turnbaugh
Matthew Turnbaugh marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
  • Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • What Your Second Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Second-Grade Education Revised
  • So You're Thinking About Homeschooling: Fifteen Families Show How You Can Do It
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom
  • What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them
  • Financial Peace Jr.: Teaching Kids About Money! : "Cool Tools" for Training Tomorrow's Millionaires!
  • The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling
  • Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • The Educated Child: A Parents Guide From Preschool Through Eighth Grade
Homeschooling Your Child Step-by-Step: 100 Simple Solutions to Homeschooling Toughest Problems Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,400 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Educating Your Family at Home J. K. Lasser's Invest Online: Do-It-Yourself and Keep More of What You Earn J.K. Lasser's Invest Online The Big Book of Internet & Web Bargains: Save Thousands Using These 5,000 Money-Saving Bargain Sites [With *]