Start by marking “Death at Gallows Green” as Want to Read:
Death at Gallows Green

Death at Gallows Green (Kathryn Ardleigh #2)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,375 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
In Death at Bishop's Keep, Kathryn Ardleigh captured the interest of detective Sir Charles Sheridan as they solved their first case together. Now the demise of a local constable and the disappearance of a child have the sleuthing couple on the trail of deadly greed and criminal mischief once again. And with the help of a shy woman who calls herself Beatrix Potter, Kate int ...more
Published December 1st 1998 by Berkley (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Death at Gallows Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at Gallows Green

Andree
Jan 23, 2017 Andree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This was solid. 3.5 stars.

I really like Beatrice Potter as a side character, and I wasn't sure if I would. I hope she sticks around.

Mostly, I liked this. I could have done without the subplot of everyone being (or appearing to be) in love with the heroine. It was a bit of a weird love pentangle, of sorts. Except not really, because it was breathtakingly obvious all along exactly how it would go down, so it was just a bit weird.
Trish
This was surprisingly slow to get going. Not entirely sure why. Although I was amused at the first appearance of Beatrix Potter in a book by Susan Wittig Albert - I guess this was the foundation of the The Tale of Hill Top Farm series.
These books really are great fun to read. The mysteries--even if a bit predictable at times--are engaging, and the characters are delightful. I like the rate at which the relationship between Kate and Sir Charles is developing; not too fast, yet not at a snail's pace either.

One thing I wasn't quite sure about regarding this series is the insertion of famous historical persons into the stories--both Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde had small roles in the first book, and Beatrix Potter in th
Jane C.
Dec 17, 2009 Jane C. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was interested in reading this cozy mystery because Beatrix Potter was supposed to be a significant character (and the cover shows a drawing of her rabbit and hedgehog.) It was disappointing that when the mystery got going, Beatrix catches a cold and has to stay out of the action. I can't imagine what excuse the author could come up with for leaving her out. So many books in this genre do the same thing. The plot is supposed to have an angle: the sleuth is an antique dealer/bookseller/chef . . ...more
Cybercrone
Just starting this new series, and it follows the formula of the Victorian and Edwardian mystery series very closely. Has a bit of zip. Interesting characters so far. The first book lightly touched on some of the social and gender problems of the age but kept glancing away, which I didn't appreciate. This book touched on nothing at all very serious but decent entertainment.
I hope I can expect more serious exploration in the future books.
Virginia Adi
May 16, 2017 Virginia Adi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
could not put it down!
Meredith
Nov 17, 2016 Meredith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I really enjoy these Robin Paige books. They are English "cozy" mysteries with interesting plots and realistic characters. I plan to read all of them over time.
Susan
Death at Gallows Green is the second book in the Victorian Mystery series by Robin Paige, set in the Essex countryside in Victorian England. Young American Miss Kathryn “Kate” Ardleigh moved to England to live with her aunts and work as one aunt’s secretary in the first book of the series, Death at Bishop’s Keep. She solved the mystery of her aunts’ deaths with the help of Sir Charles Sheridan, a gentleman of the English aristocracy knighted for his pioneering work with photography. She inherite ...more
Anna Bergmark
Dec 22, 2016 Anna Bergmark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not in the murder mystery. That part is kind of... conventional. Or a bit complicated. Or just sheer unexciting. Or all of the above. Nothing to write home about. But the characters...

The characters are extremely charming, delightful even (well, the duck is anyway). Spending time with them is like popping an opiate. Whatever your pain is, it smooths it out, leaving you with a smile on your face and a warm and cuddly feeling in your gut. Add some interesting and highly educational historical
Tria
Not bad, but not great either. In places it becomes painfully clear to anyone with much knowledge of the real-life history surrounding the setting, and the real people brought into this fictional tale, that the two authors, both American, drastically skimped on their research of the history and their setting (England). There are some anachronisms that genuinely made me grimace, and occasionally even cringe, whilst reading.

Writing a tale from the view of a character of one's own nationality is n
Lori McD
The 2nd book in a series is often a difficult book for both author and reader. For the author, because he/she has to follow up a success; for the reader, because the author is often trying to hard.

I'm delighted to report that in this 2nd book, none of the above is true. The author keeps those delightful characters we were first introduced to, but deepens them and strengthens our understanding of who they are. In addition, we meet Beatrix Potter and come to understand how such a shy young woman c
Dallass
Since I'd bought the first three books (feeling optimistic), I jumped straight into Death at Gallows Green as soon as I'd finished Death at Bishop's Keep.

Kate is still living in Bishop's Keep after the death of her aunts, and is slowly getting into the rhythms of village life. Sir Charles Sheridan, and Bradford Marsden (the heir next door) are still floating around the peripheries of Kate's life, while Eleanor is still being annoying at times.

This time round, it involves the death of Sergeant Ar
Vickie
Sep 07, 2013 Vickie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so very glad that I have a stack of this series on Mt Git'r'Read. I do tend to alternate my reading so as not to get saturated with a style or era or character, but this is one series, once started, I've found it can be difficult not to move onto the next in series.
Gentle, humorous, historical [historic?] setting, great character and nicely done mystery to solve, I adore this series.
It's fun to see how life might have been at a time between horse and carriage and the proliferation of motorc
Gloria
Mar 10, 2009 Gloria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, i-own
I just finished this up this morning. I read the first installment in this series several years ago, and I remembered liking it. Thus, when I saw this in a local mystery book store, I decided to give it a try. It was a pleasant, quick read. The mystery isn't super-difficult to solve, but that is appropriate for a book of this length. The characterization of the two lead sleuths, Kate and Sir Charles, was good. I look forward to future developments in their relationship. My one major annoyance wa ...more
Barbara
Catching up on this series - read the third one first and after finishing this, I'll try to continue in order. Enjoying this series set in Victorian England - actually near the end of the Victorian era. Heroine, Kate Ardleigh is a young American woman who has inherited an estate from an aunt.

Real life "famous" people tend to show up in these books. In this one, Beatrix Potter, before she wrote her stories, becomes a friend of Kate's and helps in solving the mystery. In this book, many of her ch
Michelle
Kate returns in this second book of the Victorian mystery series by Robin Paige. While adjusting to her change in status as the lady of Bishop's Keep, Kate becomes involved in 2 mysteries: the disappearance of emeralds belonging to the mother of her newly married friend and the death of a policeman who was found in Mr. MacGregor's garden by one of her staff and the girl's beau. Kate also meets a shy young woman, Bea and invites her to Bishop's Keep. Bea is none other than Beatrix Potter. Charles ...more
Sallee
Nov 30, 2012 Sallee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the second Victorian cosy mystery in the Kate Ardleigh series. In this book, Beatrice Potter comes to stay for a short visit and assists Kate and Sir Charles in solving the murder of a police contable. In this story, Charles realizes he is very attracted to Kate but was afraid to do anything as he was under the misaprehension that firt, his friend, Ned, another police officer was courting her and then he found out his host of Marsden Hall plans to court her as thier lands ajoin, he is in ...more
Nese
Oct 23, 2015 Nese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This murder mystery that takes place in Victorian England is as refreshingly original, if not better than the previous book. What makes the book so original is the description of the cultural clash resulting between the heroine, a twenty-seven year old Irish-American female, and her neighbors, British landowners and nobility who seem to think themselves superior to people like Kate Ardleigh, a commoner who acts in a scandalous way, meaning wearing pantaloons, riding a bike, and going for a walk ...more
The Hobbit
Second in the Victorian Mystery series. The local constable is found dead with different wheat seeds in each of his pockets. Although his body is discovered in a secluded wooded area, it is obvious it was dragged there from somewhere else. Kate Ardsleigh and Charles Sheridan search for where and why the constable was killed and who the murderer might be. The search becomes even more urgent when the constable"s young daughter disappears after reporting what she witnessed the night of her father's ...more
Jeanne
Jun 22, 2013 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mystery
Kate Ardleigh is back, and she’s investigating the death of a local constable in this outing. When the body of Sergeant Arthur Oliver is found in Mr. McGregor’s garden, readers may expect two things:

1. Kate and Sir Charles Sheridan will be on the case, and
2. Beatrix Potter will figure into the story in some way.

Indeed, Kate meets Miss Potter and observes her sketching some critters. Bea joins Kate in her sleuthing and demonstrates her affinity for children.

I didn’t think this entry in the series
Audrey
Jul 26, 2011 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-2
I enjoyed this book very much, I am really enjoying this series by Robin Paige. I love the setting of Victorian England and the two main characters Sir Charles and Kate are terrific and I am so anxious to see how their budding romance grows and develops in the next books in this series.

All the characters are so well drawn in these mysteries and I loved that they included Beatrix Potter and some of her inspirations for the characters in her Peter Rabbit books.

The setting of the English countrysid
Bonnie
Dec 27, 2013 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is so much fun to read, at first I thought it couldn't be very well written, but I'm revising my view. True there's the tantalizing romance between the two main (detecting) characters, but the twists and turns of that are remarkably possible. What I like the most, though, is how the author uses historical fact as the basis of each tale, with an invented plot that could be the way it actually occurred. This book is my favorite so far because she includes Beatrix Potter, and her small ...more
Mary
My rating 3.5 stars

Aus Books & Reading
Argum
The second in the series does not disappoint. The historical guest is Beatrix Potter who Kate meets at a house party. On her return home, Sir Charles is visiting next door and some one has killed a constable on that property. The big boss man's identity if not exact role is obvious from the outset, but how the pieces come together wasn't. Kate and Charles are both forced/pushed into facing the obvious about their feelings for one another but don't know about the other just yet.
Veronica
This is the second book in the series and it was better than the first. I do really enjoy the time period and I like how the characters tend to run into notable figures from the time during the course of the story. In the first book, Kate met Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Oscar Wilde, and William Yeats. This time around, it's Beatrix Potter. I just wish that I was more invested in the romance angle. All in all though, it was a decent mystery and the setting can't be beat.
Michael Holle
May 20, 2012 Michael Holle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was on par with the first one, "Death at Bishop's Keep". The author did a great job in tying the main plot in with all of the subplots, and keeping the whole mess together. I pretty much don't give 5 stars but this one is in the range of 5. If you're looking for a good light read, with suspense and some "who done it" and then sprinkled with a touch of romance, then this is the book you want. Good job!
Claudia Cheyne
Apr 30, 2014 Claudia Cheyne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another satisfying mystery featuring Kathryn Ardleigh and Sir Charles Sheridan working together to find the killer/kidnapper. This is the second in the series. I have been reading them out of order, but that really doesn't matter. Beatrix Potter is one of the characters. From what I have read about her, they portrayed her true to what she was in real life. I would recommend this book for those who enjoy a good mystery.
Dail Sams
Jan 20, 2016 Dail Sams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate Ardleigh becomes involved in another murder investigation when the local police officer is found dead in Mr. MacGregor's back garden. While attending a house party, Kate meets Bea Potter, and acquaintance of Sir Charles, and invites her home for a visit. Well plotted and charming references to Beatrix Potter's beautifully illustrated books for children, make this an enjoyable installment in the Victorian Mystery series by Robin Paige.
Hayes
Nov 13, 2010 Hayes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Still pretty good, although the first was better. (My informal research tells me that #3 will be very good... the second in a series is always lame in my experience.)

Too many anachronisms, a problem in a historical mystery, but this series is written pretty well, which hides a multitude of sins. It's a "cozy", and fun and quick, and is just perfect for those in-between moments, or (like now) when I am reading a heavier non-fiction at the same time.

Will continue the series.
Donna Zigmont
Mar 23, 2014 Donna Zigmont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was great.I loved that Beatrix Potter was a character in the story. I previously read a mystery series by Susan Wittig Albert featuring her as a main character. I thought it was clever how some of the characters had the same names as some of miss Potters. it almost seemed like that is where she got the idea for them. the story was well written and fast paced. the description kind of made you feel like you were in the story. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Goodreads Librari...: Book cover image 3 17 Feb 17, 2017 07:10AM
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • Jane and the Man of the Cloth (Jane Austen Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
  • Murder on Nob Hill (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #1)
  • The Squire's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #10)
  • Long Spoon Lane (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #24)
aka Bill and Susan Wittig Albert

The Robin Paige Victorian-Edwardian mystery series was written by Bill and Susan Albert from 1994-2006. There are a dozen books in the series (now completed), beginning in the mid 1890s and continuing through 1903.

The series features two sleuths: Kate Ardleigh Sheridan and Sir Charles Sheridan. Kate is an Irish-American woman who writes under the pseudonym of Bery
More about Robin Paige...

Kathryn Ardleigh (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1)
  • Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)
  • Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4)
  • Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)
  • Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6)
  • Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)
  • Death at Dartmoor (Kathryn Ardleigh, #8)
  • Death at Glamis Castle (Kathryn Ardleigh, #9)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)