Start by marking “Death at Gallows Green” as Want to Read:
Death at Gallows Green

Death at Gallows Green (Kathryn Ardleigh #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,095 ratings  ·  75 reviews
In Death at Bishop's Keep, Kathryn Ardleigh captured the interest of detective Sir Charles Sheridan as they solved their first case together. Now the demise of a local constable and the disappearance of a child have the sleuthing couple on the trail of deadly greed and criminal mischief once again. And with the help of a shy woman who calls herself Beatrix Potter, Kate int ...more
Published December 1st 1998 by Berkley (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Death at Gallows Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at Gallows Green

Jane C.
I was interested in reading this cozy mystery because Beatrix Potter was supposed to be a significant character (and the cover shows a drawing of her rabbit and hedgehog.) It was disappointing that when the mystery got going, Beatrix catches a cold and has to stay out of the action. I can't imagine what excuse the author could come up with for leaving her out. So many books in this genre do the same thing. The plot is supposed to have an angle: the sleuth is an antique dealer/bookseller/chef . . ...more
Vickie
I am so very glad that I have a stack of this series on Mt Git'r'Read. I do tend to alternate my reading so as not to get saturated with a style or era or character, but this is one series, once started, I've found it can be difficult not to move onto the next in series.
Gentle, humorous, historical [historic?] setting, great character and nicely done mystery to solve, I adore this series.
It's fun to see how life might have been at a time between horse and carriage and the proliferation of motorc
Lori McD
The 2nd book in a series is often a difficult book for both author and reader. For the author, because he/she has to follow up a success; for the reader, because the author is often trying to hard.

I'm delighted to report that in this 2nd book, none of the above is true. The author keeps those delightful characters we were first introduced to, but deepens them and strengthens our understanding of who they are. In addition, we meet Beatrix Potter and come to understand how such a shy young woman c
Barbara
Catching up on this series - read the third one first and after finishing this, I'll try to continue in order. Enjoying this series set in Victorian England - actually near the end of the Victorian era. Heroine, Kate Ardleigh is a young American woman who has inherited an estate from an aunt.

Real life "famous" people tend to show up in these books. In this one, Beatrix Potter, before she wrote her stories, becomes a friend of Kate's and helps in solving the mystery. In this book, many of her ch
Michelle
Kate returns in this second book of the Victorian mystery series by Robin Paige. While adjusting to her change in status as the lady of Bishop's Keep, Kate becomes involved in 2 mysteries: the disappearance of emeralds belonging to the mother of her newly married friend and the death of a policeman who was found in Mr. MacGregor's garden by one of her staff and the girl's beau. Kate also meets a shy young woman, Bea and invites her to Bishop's Keep. Bea is none other than Beatrix Potter. Charles ...more
Gloria
I just finished this up this morning. I read the first installment in this series several years ago, and I remembered liking it. Thus, when I saw this in a local mystery book store, I decided to give it a try. It was a pleasant, quick read. The mystery isn't super-difficult to solve, but that is appropriate for a book of this length. The characterization of the two lead sleuths, Kate and Sir Charles, was good. I look forward to future developments in their relationship. My one major annoyance wa ...more
Susan
Death at Gallows Green is the second book in the Victorian Mystery series by Robin Paige, set in the Essex countryside in Victorian England. Young American Miss Kathryn “Kate” Ardleigh moved to England to live with her aunts and work as one aunt’s secretary in the first book of the series, Death at Bishop’s Keep. She solved the mystery of her aunts’ deaths with the help of Sir Charles Sheridan, a gentleman of the English aristocracy knighted for his pioneering work with photography. She inherite ...more
Donna Zigmont
I thought this book was great.I loved that Beatrix Potter was a character in the story. I previously read a mystery series by Susan Wittig Albert featuring her as a main character. I thought it was clever how some of the characters had the same names as some of miss Potters. it almost seemed like that is where she got the idea for them. the story was well written and fast paced. the description kind of made you feel like you were in the story. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Mary
My rating 3.5 stars

Aus Books & Reading
Sallee
This is the second Victorian cosy mystery in the Kate Ardleigh series. In this book, Beatrice Potter comes to stay for a short visit and assists Kate and Sir Charles in solving the murder of a police contable. In this story, Charles realizes he is very attracted to Kate but was afraid to do anything as he was under the misaprehension that firt, his friend, Ned, another police officer was courting her and then he found out his host of Marsden Hall plans to court her as thier lands ajoin, he is in ...more
Claudia Cheyne
Another satisfying mystery featuring Kathryn Ardleigh and Sir Charles Sheridan working together to find the killer/kidnapper. This is the second in the series. I have been reading them out of order, but that really doesn't matter. Beatrix Potter is one of the characters. From what I have read about her, they portrayed her true to what she was in real life. I would recommend this book for those who enjoy a good mystery.
These books really are great fun to read. The mysteries--even if a bit predictable at times--are engaging, and the characters are delightful. I like the rate at which the relationship between Kate and Sir Charles is developing; not too fast, yet not at a snail's pace either.

One thing I wasn't quite sure about regarding this series is the insertion of famous historical persons into the stories--both Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde had small roles in the first book, and Beatrix Potter in th
Argum
The second in the series does not disappoint. The historical guest is Beatrix Potter who Kate meets at a house party. On her return home, Sir Charles is visiting next door and some one has killed a constable on that property. The big boss man's identity if not exact role is obvious from the outset, but how the pieces come together wasn't. Kate and Charles are both forced/pushed into facing the obvious about their feelings for one another but don't know about the other just yet.
Text Addict
Paige is always good for a pleasant read - a ramble in the British countryside, with a mystery of some sort for a bit of spice. Just the thing when one is laid up in bed with a cold. This one even adds in Beatrix Potter, for extra interest.
Deb
I am not a fan of true murder mysteries. But this series of books is not hard-core murder mysteries. They are fun, sometimes whimsical, character studies. The "detectives" have a personal life that is often complicated. Can't wait to read the next one!
Bonnie
This series is so much fun to read, at first I thought it couldn't be very well written, but I'm revising my view. True there's the tantalizing romance between the two main (detecting) characters, but the twists and turns of that are remarkably possible. What I like the most, though, is how the author uses historical fact as the basis of each tale, with an invented plot that could be the way it actually occurred. This book is my favorite so far because she includes Beatrix Potter, and her small ...more
Sally Myers
Can't wait until the next one is ready from the library. I am enjoying this series, especially the authors use of writing in real characters such as Beatrix Potter.
Brenda Funk
This is the 2nd book in this series I have read, and I am quite enjoying it. It is easy reading for sure, but relaxing and entertaining. Fun.
Audrey
I enjoyed this book very much, I am really enjoying this series by Robin Paige. I love the setting of Victorian England and the two main characters Sir Charles and Kate are terrific and I am so anxious to see how their budding romance grows and develops in the next books in this series.

All the characters are so well drawn in these mysteries and I loved that they included Beatrix Potter and some of her inspirations for the characters in her Peter Rabbit books.

The setting of the English countrysid
Jeanne
Kate Ardleigh is back, and she’s investigating the death of a local constable in this outing. When the body of Sergeant Arthur Oliver is found in Mr. McGregor’s garden, readers may expect two things:

1. Kate and Sir Charles Sheridan will be on the case, and
2. Beatrix Potter will figure into the story in some way.

Indeed, Kate meets Miss Potter and observes her sketching some critters. Bea joins Kate in her sleuthing and demonstrates her affinity for children.

I didn’t think this entry in the series
Karen
I like this series. Nice, safe cosy.
Maureen
A pleasant way to pass the time, but predictable.
Hayes
Still pretty good, although the first was better. (My informal research tells me that #3 will be very good... the second in a series is always lame in my experience.)

Too many anachronisms, a problem in a historical mystery, but this series is written pretty well, which hides a multitude of sins. It's a "cozy", and fun and quick, and is just perfect for those in-between moments, or (like now) when I am reading a heavier non-fiction at the same time.

Will continue the series.
Veronica
This is the second book in the series and it was better than the first. I do really enjoy the time period and I like how the characters tend to run into notable figures from the time during the course of the story. In the first book, Kate met Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Oscar Wilde, and William Yeats. This time around, it's Beatrix Potter. I just wish that I was more invested in the romance angle. All in all though, it was a decent mystery and the setting can't be beat.
Michele
Definitely glad I continued with this series. Thought the first book was a little slow and dull. Definitely liked the second book. can't wait to read more!
Michael Holle
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was on par with the first one, "Death at Bishop's Keep". The author did a great job in tying the main plot in with all of the subplots, and keeping the whole mess together. I pretty much don't give 5 stars but this one is in the range of 5. If you're looking for a good light read, with suspense and some "who done it" and then sprinkled with a touch of romance, then this is the book you want. Good job!
Pam
To continue with my Victorian mystery jag, this book by husband and wife team Susan and Bill Albert using the pen name "Robin Paige" was just pure fun! Liv got it out of the library and passed it on to me. It is lighter than the Anne Perry series but that's fine. This one tied in with the life of Beatrix Potter (of Peter Cottontail) and that really made it for me.
Kristine
Very fun series to read. :D
Nola Arganbright
This is the second book in the Victorian Mystery series by Robin Paige. I enjoyed the book immensely.
A new member of the investigation team is hope to be author Beatrix Potter. The storyline is filled with many of the characters from her books and interwoven into the plot. The story was rich in suspense and in Victorian history.
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • Murder on Nob Hill (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #1)
  • Jane and the Man of the Cloth (Jane Austen Mysteries, #2)
  • The Squire's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #10)
  • Long Spoon Lane (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #24)
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
aka Bill and Susan Wittig Albert

The Robin Paige Victorian-Edwardian mystery series was written by Bill and Susan Albert from 1994-2006. There are a dozen books in the series (now completed), beginning in the mid 1890s and continuing through 1903.

The series features two sleuths: Kate Ardleigh Sheridan and Sir Charles Sheridan. Kate is an Irish-American woman who writes under the pseudonym of Bery
More about Robin Paige...

Kathryn Ardleigh (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1)
  • Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3)
  • Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4)
  • Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)
  • Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6)
  • Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)
  • Death at Dartmoor (Kathryn Ardleigh, #8)
  • Death at Glamis Castle (Kathryn Ardleigh, #9)
  • Death in Hyde Park (Kathryn Ardleigh, #10)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1) Death at Daisy's Folly (Kathryn Ardleigh, #3) Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4) Death at Whitechapel (Kathryn Ardleigh, #6) Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)