Trust Me

Trust Me (Last Stand #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,875 ratings  ·  113 reviews
Four years ago…Skye Kellerman was attacked in her own bed. She managed to fend off her knife-wielding assailant, but the trauma changed everything about her life. As a result of that night, she joined two friends—also survivors—in starting The Last Stand, an organization to help victims of crime.

But now…

Her would-be rapist is getting out of prison. Skye knows that Dr. Oliv...more
Published January 19th 2010 by Mira (first published June 1st 2008)

Isis FG
Aug 12, 2008 Isis FG rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Isis FG by: previously read author
This was a borderline 3-4 star book for me. I'm going with 4 stars because even though there were some things that bugged me, I still enjoyed the book quite a bit.

This series centers around 3 women, whose lives were either directly or indirectly affected by violent crime, who decide to fight back. They start a victims advocacy group in order to help the people who need it most.

This first book focuses on Skye Kellerman. Four years earlier, she awoke in her bed to a man holding a knife to her. She...more
Christa
This was my first book by Brenda Novak, and I definitely liked it enough to read more by her. Trust Me is romantic suspense, but is really much heavier on the suspense. There is a romance, but very little time is actually devoted to it. The hero and heroine were both very likeable characters, and the storyline was engrossing. Two minor characters in the book are heroines in subsequent novels in this series. I am eager to read both of their stories.

Skye Kellerman was attacked in her bed four yea...more
Gina
Jan 05, 2009 Gina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of romantic suspense.
Recommended to Gina by: Noval Ladies Potluck novel.
Donovan Adams
Trust Me is the first novel in the Last Stand series by Brenda Novak and I found the plot as enthralling the other two books in the series. I read the other two, Stop Me and Watch Me, awhile back and found them completely exciting and real page-turners; this book did not differ in that aspect. Although I read them out of order, they aren't the kind that you need to necessarily read in order; they make just as much sense when read in random. The different subplots kept me engaged in the action (I...more
Kelly Moran
This was a pleasure read, so it's not one of my official reviews. I always know when I pick up a book of Brenda's that I'm going to love it. Hands down, I did. I love that we're almost always in the bad guy's head as much as the good guy's. The romance is realistic and intense, so is the suspense. The research into victim's psychie was powerful here. Recommended.
~Megan~
The infidelity part of this book made me a little squicky, but it all turned out good in the end. I'm looking forward to reading about the other ladies of The Last Stand.
Barbara ★
Attempted rape victim, Skye Kellerman and two friends Jasmine and Sheridan (also victims) open a non-profit agency, The Last Stand, to help other victims. Oliver Burke (Skye's attacker) is out on parole in three years instead of 8-10 and once again, terrorizing Skye. Burke has promised to pay her back for her audacity in prosecuting him. Skye and detective David Willis do everything they can to protect her.

This series starter has many surprises and unexpected twists. A few that are truly shockin...more
Book Slut -N
This is my first Novak. And all I can say is this: it kept me up at night, and there's not much higher praise I can personally give to a story. You know the books, the ones that have us so wrapped up in someone else's story that we can't bear to leave. I love those experiences. I'm grateful to any author that can do it.

This one is a romantic suspense, and it fits the bill. Those that expect their romances to be a majority of the story may be disappointed, but the chemistry between Skye and Davi...more
Jane Stewart
Ok mystery with some suspense. Female victim gains skills and strength to protect herself from future attacks.

STORY BRIEF:
This is book 1 in the Last Stand Trilogy. The Last Stand is a victims-assistance charity, run by three women who devote their lives to helping victims. They don’t have time to date. Three years earlier, Oliver a serial-rapist-killer attacked Skye in her home. She survived by stabbing him with scissors near her bed. He is in jail but is getting out soon and plans to kill her....more
David
Skye ist eine Mittdreißigerin, welche vor einigen Jahren von einem Psychopathen nachts in ihrem Bett überfallen und mit einem Messer bedroht wurde, lebt seit diesem Vorfall in ständiger Angst. Sie konnte ihm zwar entkommen, dennoch hat sie weiterhin große Panik vor ihm.
Sie hat sich zurückgezogen, hält sich von den Männern fern und gründete
"The Last Stand", eine Hilfsorganisation für Opfer von Überfällen und Verbrechen, welche als eine Art Selbsthilfegruppe dient. Hier lernen Betroffene, vor al...more
Mandy Bookaholica
Brenda Novak hat es einfach drauf, mich in ihren Bann zu ziehen. Der Stil, in dem das Buch geschrieben wurde, ist angenehm und gut ausgebaut. Die Charaktere sind hervorragend durchdacht und lassen die Geschichte authentisch wirken.
Es ist zwar durchaus vorhersehbar, doch bleibt es bis zu den letzten Seiten spannend und fesselnd. Die Autorin schafft es außerdem auch hier wieder eine turbolente Liebesgeschichte einzufädeln, die mir an der einen oder anderen Stelle fast den Nerv raubte. Frau liebt M...more
Ciara
I was a little skeptic when I first started reading this book, because I had never read a book by Brenda Novak before, but after reading Trust Me Im glad I did! This book is so well written you feel like you actually there, not just watching from the sidelines. The characters are so real and relatable, and Novak did an excellen job in portraying their feelings to where you feel them too. Your heart will start pounding right along with Skyes when she learns that the man that raped and attempted t...more
Glenda Ricord
Great book. Very enjoyable. Fast read.

Here's a excerpt:

Four years ago...
Skye Kellerman was attacked in her own bed. She managed to fend off her knife-wielding assailant, but the trauma changed everything about her life. As a result of that night, she joined two friends--also survivors--in starting The Last Stand, an organization to help victims of crime.
But now...
Her would-be rapist is getting out of prison. Skye knows that Dr. Oliver Burke hasn t forgotten that her testimony cost him his re...more
Kim
I couldn't figure out if I wanted to rate this one 3 or 4 stars. The thing about this book that drove me absolutely bonkers, was the author was a huge fan of the ending of a sentence with a suspense...

and she closed the door...
then she saw the pink line...

the dangum ... drove me bananas. I swear on one page I saw the ... at least four times.

aside from that the rest of the book was good.
Amanda
I pretty much enjoy all of Brenda Novak's books so I wasn't surprised that I enjoyed this one.

Things I Liked:
- The heavy focus on the family of the rapist/murderer was really fascinating. A lot of books don't really deal with what it is like the be the family of someone who it turns out is a monster.
- The romance was interesting since I thought the ex-wife with MS introduced a really interesting ethical issue

Things that didn't work for me:
- I never really understood why David kept trying to rec...more
Jan Coad
I love a good suspense and the gals at The Last Stand help victims fight against violence. Skye, Jasmine and Sheridan have all been victimized and met at a support group. They have turned being victims into a desire to help others and have opened The Last Stand, an organization where others can come for support, for a safe house, for counseling...

In TRUST ME, Skye's rapist, Dr. Oliver Burke, is getting out of prison and knows Skye's testimony put him away. Rather than the ten years he was suppos...more
Jillian (NetGalley Addict)

I liked this book, Skye and her friends took their really bad situations and instead of being victims they became survivors. Despite what happens to them they are strong independent woman. I like how the author made Sky and David’s relationship seem plausible. The twists and turns throughout the book kept me interested without completely confusing me. The bombshell towards the end made me have one of those "oh no she didn't" moments. (Towards the character not the author). The writing had a good...more
Jackie
I'm so disappointed--the premise of this book had so much promise that I ignored the fact that it was coming out directly in mass market paperback (usually a huge red flag for me). Three women who meet in a survivors of crime support group come together to form a group called The Last Stand to help other survivors. This is supposed to be a trilogy (this one out in June '08, the next called Stop Me out in July '08 and the final one, Watch Me, out in August '08), each book centered on a different...more
Linda Joplin
Oh my goodness, this is one of those books you can't put down! I've been reading Brenda Novak's books for about 2 years now, but just found this series from the late 2000's. Now I'm on to the second one in the series, Stop Me!
Gaby
Estoy segura que este libro a muchas les parecerá lento, pero también sé que no van a poder soltarlo hasta saber cómo termina. Es atrapante, aunque la autora escatima las escenas románticas que tanto se esperan cuando uno elige este género.
Si quieren ansiedad, esta pareja las va a tener expectantes hasta el último momento. Me quejé un poco durante la lectura, pero al final, descubrí que pasé ocho horas leyendo entretenida, ansiosa y atrapada por una historia que maneja el suspenso desde lo polic...more
Alanna
I would actually give this book 3 1/2 stars, I had to round down because I could not in good conscience give it 4 stars.

I was so excited to read this book and expected so much, however I was very disappointed once I started reading it. I had such difficulty getting into the book b/c the plot was very slow moving and it took too long to get into the story, then I found the ending to be very anticlimactic.

I generally enjoy Brenda Novak books and will definitely continue to read her writings, howev...more
Shacoria
For the most part I really enjoy this book. It's a real page turner. Once you pick it up, it's hard to put it down.I don't enjoy the way that David and Skye act like they just can't control themselves. I would say that they're lack of self control probably contributes to a lot of their problems. I don't see why David seems somehow determined to get back with his wife who doesn't seem to want him back very badly. It would be a lot easier if David would just give up on his relationship with his ex...more
Debra
i loved it, but i have never read a bad book by brenda.
Kristen
This is a great romantic suspense set in California, and an excellent start for the Last Stand series. It deals with Skye's story of her attempted rapist being released early from prison and his exacted revenge on her, while she deals with falling in love with the detective on the case, and his deranged ex-wife. Things get complicated, when she spies on her rapist's wife having an affair with her brother-in-law, which ended up quite deadly in the end of the aftermath. What a great read. I'll loo...more
Jamie
My friends need to read this series...this is the 1st book. Then there is STOP ME, and last but not least WATCH ME. I am currently reading the 2nd book and really enjoyed this one. In this, you will meet the 3 women who will each star in a book of their own. They created "The Last Stand" a victims support group for people who are victim's of domestic violence. The first book was great///reading all of them on my KINDLE 2 and I'm on the 2nd book and it's very good so far also. I have no reason to...more
Miriam
When the man who tried to rape her is released from jail early, Skye knows he will come after her again and must prepare to defend herself. Even after he was convicted, many people believed that a successful upstanding family man would not rape and murder, and believed his claim that Skye brought him home for sex and then had a drug trip and attacked him. I liked that Skye was a strong person and defended herself and others, despite pressure from those around her to not do so. I wasn't very move...more
Diane
Just started it. This was a book club selection. Yuck. So far, I find the writing stylistically to be unbelievably cheesy and over-the-top cliched. It reads like something for a teenage audience rather than adults. Okay I'm finishing it now. To say it's the equivalent of a sophomoric novel, would be an insult to sophomores. It's cheesy, one dimensional, silly and functions as neither a suspense or a romantic piece. There is no character development, or depth to the writing. much as the auther tr...more
Megan
I went through phases of liking and not liking this book. The relationship between Sky and David was really frustrating at times. I really liked the way the serial killer was written. He was very interesting and believable (as far as psychos go). That side of the story was done very well. And, I was completely surprised at the end. I can usually figure out who the villain is and this book really threw me. All in all, not the best book I've ever read, but I enjoyed it.
Jess
I liked the storyline but I felt like the book crawled along. Also the relationship between Skye and David just felt weird to me. At points things happened where I didn't think the couple would be able to recover. I guess I just felt it was too far-fetched for me to believe.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I heard a lot of great things about the series. Maybe it was just because this was the first book, and things had to be set up. Who knows?
Sara
This is the first in a trilogy about women who survived being victims of crimes. In this one, Skye teams up with David, the detective originally assigned to her case, to protect herself and other innocents from her would-be killer. Oliver Burke is being released from prison, and has his own vendetta against Skye for testifying against him. Add in a few other unstable personalities, and viola! You've got a suspenseful read.
  • Killing Fear (Prison Break Trilogy, #1)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Last Look (Last #1)
  • After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • Bad Penny (Cat Dupree, #3)
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
  • Thread of Fear (Glass Sisters, The #1)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a...more
More about Brenda Novak...
When We Touch (Whiskey Creek, #0.5) When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1) When Snow Falls (Whiskey Creek, #2) Stop Me (Last Stand Series, #2) Dead Silence (Stillwater Trilogy, #1)