Start by marking “Trust Me” as Want to Read:
Trust Me

Trust Me (Last Stand #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  2,462 ratings  ·  138 reviews
Four years ago…Skye Kellerman was attacked in her own bed. She managed to fend off her knife-wielding assailant, but the trauma changed everything about her life. As a result of that night, she joined two friends—also survivors—in starting The Last Stand, an organization to help victims of crime.

But now…

Her would-be rapist is getting out of prison. Skye knows that Dr. Oliv
Published January 19th 2010 by Mira (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Trust Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust Me

Aug 12, 2008 jenjn79 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: previously read author
This was a borderline 3-4 star book for me. I'm going with 4 stars because even though there were some things that bugged me, I still enjoyed the book quite a bit.

This series centers around 3 women, whose lives were either directly or indirectly affected by violent crime, who decide to fight back. They start a victims advocacy group in order to help the people who need it most.

This first book focuses on Skye Kellerman. Four years earlier, she awoke in her bed to a man holding a knife to her. She
This was my first book by Brenda Novak, and I definitely liked it enough to read more by her. Trust Me is romantic suspense, but is really much heavier on the suspense. There is a romance, but very little time is actually devoted to it. The hero and heroine were both very likeable characters, and the storyline was engrossing. Two minor characters in the book are heroines in subsequent novels in this series. I am eager to read both of their stories.

Skye Kellerman was attacked in her bed four yea
Jan 05, 2009 Gina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of romantic suspense.
Recommended to Gina by: Noval Ladies Potluck novel.
Donovan Adams
Trust Me is the first novel in the Last Stand series by Brenda Novak and I found the plot as enthralling the other two books in the series. I read the other two, Stop Me and Watch Me, awhile back and found them completely exciting and real page-turners; this book did not differ in that aspect. Although I read them out of order, they aren't the kind that you need to necessarily read in order; they make just as much sense when read in random. The different subplots kept me engaged in the action (I ...more
Bette Stanek
This is a difficult one to rate. 3 or 4? 3 or 4? OK, I'll go with 4.

This is the first of Ms Novak's suspense books that I've read. Prior to this, I had only read her Whiskey Creek series, which btw if you haven't checked out, you need to do that. Anyway, Trust Me is the first in a trilogy centered around three women who have suffered abuse of one form or another. In order to deal with their abuses, they have opened The Last Stand, a center to help abused men and women. They aren't very popular
Kelly Moran
This was a pleasure read, so it's not one of my official reviews. I always know when I pick up a book of Brenda's that I'm going to love it. Hands down, I did. I love that we're almost always in the bad guy's head as much as the good guy's. The romance is realistic and intense, so is the suspense. The research into victim's psychie was powerful here. Recommended.
I've read several of Brenda Novak's books now. (Mostly her Whiskey Creek books). And while I enjoyed 90% of them, almost every single one of them has a woman who is DYING to get married and/or have a baby. Her life is incomplete without one or both of these things. (view spoiler) ...more
I really enjoyed Trust Me, the first book about three friends that started a support group. The Last Stand is a victim's support organization started by Skye, Jasmine and Sheridan. Trust me is Skye's story. The guy that attacked her 3 years before is getting out of prison early. Skye knows he will come after her again. In the three years since this guy has been in prison, Skye has bonded and fallen in love with David, the Detective that handled her case. David has issues of his own he is trying ...more
Maria Sol
Un libro entretenido y que te mantienen expectante hasta el final, y que a pesar de faltarle un poco ritmo al principio engancha y te mantiene queriendo saber como se va a resolver todo.
Tengo que decir que para mi gusto le falto bastante romance y conexión entre sus personajes, asi como conocerlos un poco mas, incluso como que me enganche mas con la historia de los "malos" que con la de los propios protagonistas.
Otra cosa que destaco es que a partir de la mitad para el final el libro se pone muc
The infidelity part of this book made me a little squicky, but it all turned out good in the end. I'm looking forward to reading about the other ladies of The Last Stand.
I really like Brenda Novak. This seemed to be more of a suspense than a romance. There was a romance. The feel was a bit like an old romance book, in some ways. But it's a fairly recent book. I liked it. I'll be curious to see if the next book continues on with the same group at The Last Stand.

We learn most about the female in this book, Skye. She's been through a lot and she is handling it the best she can. David is a great guy but he has lots of issues too. And there are some horrible people
Kris - My Novelesque Life

"Four years ago...

Skye Kellerman was attacked in her own bed. She managed to fend off her knife-wielding assailant, but the trauma changed everything about her life. As a result of that night, she joined two friends--also survivors--in starting The Last Stand, an organization to help victims of crime.

But now...

Her would-be rapist is getting out of prison. Skye knows that Dr. Oliver Burke hasn t forgotten that her testimony cost him his reputation--and his freedom. Sacramento detective Dav
I’m officially convinced that Brenda Novak knows what she’s doing in suspense. Either that or the timing was just right--I didn’t have to be anywhere important in particular, erego, I didn’t see the harm in spending more time than necessary finishing the entire book of Trust Me in one go. Not that there ever is any harm in spending more time than necessary reading… ever.

Pfft… “more time than necessary reading”... There’s never enough time to read all the books I want to read anyway, so I always
Barbara ★
Attempted rape victim, Skye Kellerman and two friends Jasmine and Sheridan (also victims) open a non-profit agency, The Last Stand, to help other victims. Oliver Burke (Skye's attacker) is out on parole in three years instead of 8-10 and once again, terrorizing Skye. Burke has promised to pay her back for her audacity in prosecuting him. Skye and detective David Willis do everything they can to protect her.

This series starter has many surprises and unexpected twists. A few that are truly shockin
This is my first Novak. And all I can say is this: it kept me up at night, and there's not much higher praise I can personally give to a story. You know the books, the ones that have us so wrapped up in someone else's story that we can't bear to leave. I love those experiences. I'm grateful to any author that can do it.

This one is a romantic suspense, and it fits the bill. Those that expect their romances to be a majority of the story may be disappointed, but the chemistry between Skye and Davi
Jane Stewart
Ok mystery with some suspense. Female victim gains skills and strength to protect herself from future attacks.

This is book 1 in the Last Stand Trilogy. The Last Stand is a victims-assistance charity, run by three women who devote their lives to helping victims. They don’t have time to date. Three years earlier, Oliver a serial-rapist-killer attacked Skye in her home. She survived by stabbing him with scissors near her bed. He is in jail but is getting out soon and plans to kill her.
Skye ist eine Mittdreißigerin, welche vor einigen Jahren von einem Psychopathen nachts in ihrem Bett überfallen und mit einem Messer bedroht wurde, lebt seit diesem Vorfall in ständiger Angst. Sie konnte ihm zwar entkommen, dennoch hat sie weiterhin große Panik vor ihm.
Sie hat sich zurückgezogen, hält sich von den Männern fern und gründete
"The Last Stand", eine Hilfsorganisation für Opfer von Überfällen und Verbrechen, welche als eine Art Selbsthilfegruppe dient. Hier lernen Betroffene, vor al
Mandy Bookaholica
Brenda Novak hat es einfach drauf, mich in ihren Bann zu ziehen. Der Stil, in dem das Buch geschrieben wurde, ist angenehm und gut ausgebaut. Die Charaktere sind hervorragend durchdacht und lassen die Geschichte authentisch wirken.
Es ist zwar durchaus vorhersehbar, doch bleibt es bis zu den letzten Seiten spannend und fesselnd. Die Autorin schafft es außerdem auch hier wieder eine turbolente Liebesgeschichte einzufädeln, die mir an der einen oder anderen Stelle fast den Nerv raubte. Frau liebt M
I was a little skeptic when I first started reading this book, because I had never read a book by Brenda Novak before, but after reading Trust Me Im glad I did! This book is so well written you feel like you actually there, not just watching from the sidelines. The characters are so real and relatable, and Novak did an excellen job in portraying their feelings to where you feel them too. Your heart will start pounding right along with Skyes when she learns that the man that raped and attempted t ...more
Glenda Ricord
Great book. Very enjoyable. Fast read.

Here's a excerpt:

Four years ago...
But now...
Excellent romantic suspense. Although this is the first book in a series, it did feel like we were missing a very large chunk of background information, however. There are many things in both Skye and David's past relationship, as well as Dr. Burke's that are alluded to but never more. This is very frustrating to a first time reader. Still, the excellent writing and flow, along with the great suspense and romance makes it well worth the read!
Sonya Steele
This is a truly excellent book. I read it in 2 days. I hated putting it down, even after I finished reading it. I am looking forward to the next book in this series, which I have ready to go! I have huge respect for the writer, Brenda Novak, who in addition to being a fantastic writer has raised over $2 million dollars for diabetes research. It is awesome what a writer with both a great mind and a great heart can accomplish!
Hay algo que me llama la atención los libros policiales y es por lo mismo que cuando tengo uno bueno para leer, lo aprovecho, ya que me gustan, más cuando tienen una buena trama.
En parte lo que le pasa a Skye es algo raro, pero realmente hay cada loco por donde uno miré que es muy difícil de saber te pueden seguir, y como con eso uno vive mirando para el lado por si algo así sucediera.
En si espero que nunca me pase.
I couldn't figure out if I wanted to rate this one 3 or 4 stars. The thing about this book that drove me absolutely bonkers, was the author was a huge fan of the ending of a sentence with a suspense...

and she closed the door...
then she saw the pink line...

the dangum ... drove me bananas. I swear on one page I saw the ... at least four times.

aside from that the rest of the book was good.
This was my second time reading the book. I remember the first time I read this book I simply could not put it down. I remember there were a lot of twists and turns and I was completely taken in by it all. For the most part I really enjoy this book. It's a real page turner. Once you pick it up, it's hard to put it down.I don't enjoy the way that David and Skye act like they just can't control themselves. I would say that they're lack of self control probably contributes to a lot of their problem ...more
I pretty much enjoy all of Brenda Novak's books so I wasn't surprised that I enjoyed this one.

Things I Liked:
- The heavy focus on the family of the rapist/murderer was really fascinating. A lot of books don't really deal with what it is like the be the family of someone who it turns out is a monster.
- The romance was interesting since I thought the ex-wife with MS introduced a really interesting ethical issue

Things that didn't work for me:
- I never really understood why David kept trying to rec
I found this book a bit of a slow starter, I enjoy the last quarter but I found anything previous to that was repeated thought processes over and over again. It almost made me feel less sympathetic with Skye, which she obviously doesn't deserve. I'm really struggling to find something to read that I thoroughly enjoy, this again wasn't it.
Jan Coad
I love a good suspense and the gals at The Last Stand help victims fight against violence. Skye, Jasmine and Sheridan have all been victimized and met at a support group. They have turned being victims into a desire to help others and have opened The Last Stand, an organization where others can come for support, for a safe house, for counseling...

In TRUST ME, Skye's rapist, Dr. Oliver Burke, is getting out of prison and knows Skye's testimony put him away. Rather than the ten years he was suppos
Michele Vance
Wonderfully written

I have always enjoyed Brenda Novak's books. I have read a lot of them and loved each one. I really like David in this book. I look forward to next one.
Jillian (NetGalley Addict)

I liked this book, Skye and her friends took their really bad situations and instead of being victims they became survivors. Despite what happens to them they are strong independent woman. I like how the author made Sky and David’s relationship seem plausible. The twists and turns throughout the book kept me interested without completely confusing me. The bombshell towards the end made me have one of those "oh no she didn't" moments. (Towards the character not the author). The writing had a good
  • Bad Penny (Cat Dupree, #3)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
  • Cold Truth (Truth #1)
  • Whisper of Warning (The Glass Sisters, #2)
  • Killing Fear (Prison Break Trilogy, #1)
  • After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

Last Stand (6 books)
  • Stop Me (Last Stand Series, #2)
  • Watch Me (Last Stand Series, #3)
  • The Perfect Couple (Last Stand Series, #4)
  • The Perfect Liar (Last Stand Series, #5)
  • The Perfect Murder (Last Stand Series,  #6)