Start by marking “My Life with Groucho: A Son's Eye View” as Want to Read:
My Life with Groucho: A Son's Eye View

My Life with Groucho: A Son's Eye View

Groucho Marx became world famous as the fast talking, wisecracking man with the moustache and the big cigar. That was his public image. but there was another Groucho--a warm, loving family man.

This biography of one of America's most brilliant comedians is also the account of an intimate father-son relationship. Arthur Marx tells of his own stormy life with his father and

Published April 1st 1992 by Barricade Books (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about My Life with Groucho, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life with Groucho

Sierra Chandler
Oct 22, 2013 Sierra Chandler rated it really liked it
"My Life with Groucho" reads like a time capsule. The first half is from Arthur Marx's first edition that was released in the midst of "You Bet Your Life" success. Part Two was unique in that Arthur was able to talk about the first books release and the tension it caused in his household. Because this book was written across many years the tone does change, most notably in the end concerning Eden Hartford. The intimate perspective of the author made this an exceptional look into the life of the ...more
Joyce
The first part was not very compelling or well written. Part 2 was just the opposite--well, except for the being better written. The stars are for the stories, not the writing.

Sue-Beth Warren
Jun 08, 2016 Sue-Beth Warren rated it really liked it
I inadvertently bought two copies of the same book--Life with Groucho and My Life with Groucho, which is an edited and updated version of Life with Groucho. I'm glad I did as each book has material in it that is not in the other. My Life contains lots of information about the last years of Groucho's life that obviously couldn't be covered in a book that came out in the '50s. Life contains some letters Groucho had written to his son Arthur and a version of Little Red Riding Hood that Groucho told ...more
Jim Tincher
Dec 14, 2011 Jim Tincher rated it liked it
This had real potential to be a 5-star read. If I had stopped at the "First Book," it would have been.

You see, the book was originally introduced in the 50s, when Groucho was old, but still doing well. It was written by his son, and really showed a good side of Groucho. Unfortunately, his son added a second "book" after Groucho's death, that goes into Groucho's decline, as well as his growing dependency on a young woman who his son detested. It's really too bad that he chose a book about his fat
Dann Wilhelm
Aug 05, 2012 Dann Wilhelm rated it liked it
The first half was a wonderfully charming biography of a genius comedian. The second half turned into a family political drama with a gold-digging shrew at the center of it taking advantage of an old Hollywood star. It truly was a "rise and unfortunate fall of a great comedian". A funny and sad bio written by a loving son.
Travis
Mar 21, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Interesting look at the Marx Brothers and Hollywood written by Groucho's son.
Brilliant and funny as Groucho was, he was also pretty dysfunctional in his family life and relationships with women.
Plus, Groucho's final years were very rough and it's heart breaking to read what his son went through trying to help him through that time.

Feb 14, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
The first half of this book is a pretty decent biography with several items of interest. The second half, unfortunately, is largely dedicated to Arthur's problems with his father, and the decline and fall of Groucho.
John
Sep 06, 2015 John rated it really liked it
This is the seventh Marx Brothers related autobiography or biography I've read. It is more complete and seemingly more objective than most of the others. It gives the clearest description of Groucho, especially his final years, than any other I've read. His demise was sad and controversial.
Lynne Stringer
Feb 05, 2015 Lynne Stringer rated it really liked it
Having long been a fan of the Marx Brothers, I enjoyed reading about Groucho's life, although the story certainly becomes poignant at the end. There's no doubt that Groucho's life was an amazing one (as was his talent) and his son, Arthur, has captured it well. Highly recommended.
Tom Stamper
Oct 29, 2014 Tom Stamper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The funniest memoir I have ever read. I heard my dad laughing in the other room once. I went in to find him reading my copy of this book. He spent most of Sunday with it, barely paying attention to the football game. The only time in history I had ever seen that happen.
Steven Pofcher
Apr 05, 2015 Steven Pofcher rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy reading about this period and the entertainment world. Grouch was a funny guy and a real person.
Unfortunately he was taken advantage of by his last wife.
Janis
Dec 18, 2012 Janis rated it really liked it
One of many books I've read about the early comedians. I liked gaining some insight into the private man.
Swarupa
Swarupa rated it really liked it
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2009
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2008
James Yoder
James Yoder rated it really liked it
Tamra
Tamra rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2008
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2011
Mike Elliott
Mike Elliott rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2010
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2011
Bruce
Bruce rated it really liked it
Henry Barcohana
Henry Barcohana rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Skipatore Ciulla
Skipatore Ciulla rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2008
Brien Fletcher
Brien Fletcher rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2009
Stuart
Stuart rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2008
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Robert Gomez
Robert Gomez rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2009
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Harpo Speaks!
  • The Groucho Letters
  • Hello, I Must Be Going: Groucho and His Friends
  • Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Sometimes Zeppo: A Celebration of the Marx Brothers
  • Was This Man a Genius?: Talks With Andy Kaufman
  • Anybody Can Do Anything (Betty MacDonald Memoirs, #3)
  • Hotel Bemelmans
  • The Dreaded Feast: Writers on Enduring the Holidays
  • Dumbfounded: Big Money. Big Hair. Big Problems. Or Why Having It All Isn't for Sissies.
  • Naked in Dangerous Places: The Chronicles of a Hungry, Scared, Lost, Homesick, but Otherwise Perfectly Happy Traveler
  • Hot Toddy: The True Story of Hollywood's Most Sensational Murder
  • The Beast: A Journey Through Depression
  • Superstud: Or How I Became a 24-Year-Old Virgin
  • Dangerous Men: Pre-Code Hollywood and the Birth of the Modern Man
  • Enter Jeeves: 15 Early Stories
  • Louise Brooks: Lulu Forever
  • Raised Eyebrows: My Years Inside Groucho's House
  • Chaplin
Arthur Marx was an American author, a former ranked amateur tennis player, and son of entertainer Groucho Marx and his first wife, Ruth Johnson.

More about Arthur Marx...